Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

This is the same with any popular release. It's not really viable to set up servers just to handle the load for a few days. It sucks but it's more a modern gaming thing than Ubisoft in particular.

Luckily Amazon has services for things just like this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
If you're having trouble finding the Unity app in the play store here's the link.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubisoft.assassin.unity.companion

Last night I had lots of random frame drops, earlier today I had lots of random frame drops, right now I'm having 0 frame drops. Steam does not show a patch came out. :confused:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I've enjoyed every asscreed game so far, but this one just kind of feels like a step back. Sure it's super loving pretty, but there's nothing new like ship combat/piracy to look forward to. Hell, the frontier/homesteading in III was new and different even though the protagonist sucked. This is just stabbing dudes in a city with some extra garnish, same as any other generic asscreed game. Is there something I'm missing? Does this get any better/different? I've played a couple hours but I'm just not getting into it, which has never happened for me with an asscreed game.

Also I think Shadow of Mordor ruined AC combat for me, it just feels so sluggish compared to SoM. :(

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
So is this thing really as bad as the meltdown going on at neogaf right now? They tend to blow poo poo out of proportion so I figured I'd ask here.

I'm forced to get the PS4 version if I want to play this since my PC specs aren't good enough.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Tx2005 posted:

So is this thing really as bad as the meltdown going on at neogaf right now? They tend to blow poo poo out of proportion so I figured I'd ask here.

No

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Hakarne posted:

So I've enjoyed every asscreed game so far, but this one just kind of feels like a step back. Sure it's super loving pretty, but there's nothing new like ship combat/piracy to look forward to. Hell, the frontier/homesteading in III was new and different even though the protagonist sucked. This is just stabbing dudes in a city with some extra garnish, same as any other generic asscreed game. Is there something I'm missing? Does this get any better/different? I've played a couple hours but I'm just not getting into it, which has never happened for me with an asscreed game.

Also I think Shadow of Mordor ruined AC combat for me, it just feels so sluggish compared to SoM. :(

I don't necessarily think they need other stuff than stabbing dudes in a city, but the problem is that in AC just stabbing dudes in the city has been fun enough since AC2 so they had to add in this other crap. You just need to get stabbing dudes in a city to be fun, and then an AC game will be fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tx2005 posted:

I'm forced to get the PS4 version if I want to play this since my PC specs aren't good enough.

I am playing through AC: Unity. And wow, people who're calling this game ugly must find a shitload of games to be ugly. Cause it's gorgeous on my ps4. Screens and even the least compressed youtube videos don't do it justice. Looks beautiful on my ps4. Parkour took a bit to get used too. Feels a lot more realistic and weighty. Way less room for error if you know what you're doing, combat does indeed feel better and harder but it remains to be seen how it feels throughout the game and with other weapons. Great acting and music btw. only one glitch so far.

So yeah Neogaf is full of poo poo. again

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'd heard there were problems on the Bone, but I didn't realize they were THIS bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YdgnxdzE5g

Anyone else on the platform able to confirm?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone know if you can choose not to equip categories of weapons this time? I would sure like the option to go around just with the hidden blade and maybe a pistol.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Snuffman posted:

As much as I like Assassins Creed (and as I said earlier, I'm the dumbass that buys these things every year AND I like Unity), the series really needs to take a break. Just, go away for a few years. Take 2-3 years and make the best Assassins Creed game they can.

2 in one year (3 if you count HD:Liberation) is a bit much.
We will never go an E3 again without an Assassin's Creed reveal, sorry

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This AC app for my phone drains battery like you wouldn't believe.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

BabelFish posted:

I'd heard there were problems on the Bone, but I didn't realize they were THIS bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YdgnxdzE5g

from the thumbnail it looks like this is inside the church with the stain glass which is the one place where my game started stuttering like crazy, otherwise i'm at a pretty solid 60 fps. not sure what's up with that area, it's not like there's much crazy lighting going on

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Alert, angry nerd post incoming......

Every change is worse besides the parkour down. I can't punch, grab, throw, disarm, poison, or shove the enemies. I don't know how much if any of this is supposed to be unlockable or not. Is all of this just wiped away by the new combat system? am I missing something? the combat was supposed to be better, um, it's worse. much worse. It's jankier than ever, like AC1 levels of combat here. What the hell happened in development? It's not more difficult, it's just frustratingly more clumsy.

The buttons, oh god the buttons. God bye intuitive AC controls. Goodbye low profile vs high profile context buttons. hold rt to free run, hold rt+a to climb, don't press rt, and A becomes snap to cover? really? Try to switch to fists, nope can't do that, that button is for medicine now. is the hidden blade even a weapon now? I can't switch to it.

oh yes eagle eye is inexplicably on a short timer, so instead of being a cool relaxed assassin surveying the scene, you're spilling your drink trying to find the target in three seconds. it's bound to Y now, which it remains in combat, trigger it in combat, and all your enemies glow so obnoxiously bright red for a bit, you won't be able to tell what the hell is going on screen. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature,
Lots of tailing mission - check
Instant fail stealth missions? oh, You betcha

I just witnessed a robbery and was queued to 'kill the criminal'. I kill him and get NO reward. Literally at that instant and 50 meters or away, the same exact criminal spawned. New side mission pops up, I kill him, no reward or recognition.

first chest I find tells me to install and open up the companion app. No loving thank you.

The crowds are immensely buggy, people just pop in right next to you as you run, all the time.

It just goes on and on, meanwhile the city looks really cool, and the style is right, the parkour is reasonably fun, and there seems to be some semblance of the best character development since AC2 going on. Then you go out into the open world and try to have some good old fashioned AC fun and the game just cremates your dreams with its force fed combat and bugs.

I think a lot of this can be patched to be better, and I'm still intrigued by what's going on in the plot. I don't know if I will be able to finish it or not though if I can't figure out how to throw a dude off a building soon and have yet to play a fun side mission. watching the game deconstruct itself into a series of buggy combat encounters in coop is not helping at all.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

BabelFish posted:

This room was just as bad for me on ps4. I've had some frame rate issues elsewhere, but that was by far the worst so far. Also clipping into walls while climbing them and my guy will freeze while in combat, but it seems like he is still responding to commands. Got off after I went to attack a guy and just glided through the air and got stuck in the wall behind him:confuoot:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wait, there are co-op missions that REQUIRE partners? Ubisoft swore up and down that every co-op mission would be possible in single player. What the actual gently caress?

Are the co-op missions at least playable with random people, or is it only accessible with people on my friends list?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

pengun101 posted:

I am playing through AC: Unity. And wow, people who're calling this game ugly must find a shitload of games to be ugly. Cause it's gorgeous on my ps4. Screens and even the least compressed youtube videos don't do it justice. Looks beautiful on my ps4. Parkour took a bit to get used too. Feels a lot more realistic and weighty. Way less room for error if you know what you're doing, combat does indeed feel better and harder but it remains to be seen how it feels throughout the game and with other weapons. Great acting and music btw. only one glitch so far.

All the videos I've seen (including The technical comparisons) make the npcs and the immediate surroundings look really flat and washed out and low poly. I will judge for myself when Gamefly has this to me tomorrow.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
So I preloaded the game last night on PS4 and play the first few missions before the game tells me it needs to install the rest. It's hidden in the settings that I have 15 of 41.86 gigs downloaded. On top of that its going very slow. What's the point of preloading if you can't actually pre load the game? Also if Sony didn't gently caress up rest mode I would have had my system on all night. Ugh. Guess I'm not playing this tonight.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Aloofa posted:

So I preloaded the game last night on PS4 and play the first few missions before the game tells me it needs to install the rest. It's hidden in the settings that I have 15 of 41.86 gigs downloaded. On top of that its going very slow. What's the point of preloading if you can't actually pre load the game? Also if Sony didn't gently caress up rest mode I would have had my system on all night. Ugh. Guess I'm not playing this tonight.

rest mode has been fixed for over a week you've ignored system messages about 2 whole firmware revisions at this point and that's probably why your download is stuck.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
I picked up Rogue earlier today while I'm waiting for Black Friday and lower-priced PS4s and so far it's basically Black Flag 1.5. Nothing about it is spectacularly innovative but they're happy to give you tons of toys right away (you're sailing the Morrigan from maybe the first or second mission) with none of BF's "wait until Sequence 12 for Rope Darts" fun-spoiling.

Only one and a half sequences in but the game's not at all very subtle about historical characters appearing--I swear to god someone nudges Shay and goes "that was George Washington!" when he pops up--and a lot of the dialogue feels very ham-fisted. So far it feels like it could have used another draft, but there's no major howlers or anything yet.

Not sure it'll be worth the $60 I paid for it but whatevs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
While it doesn't alleviate the other problems, goon co-op is really fun and heist missions make you stupid amounts of bank.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pengun101 posted:

ugly =/= runs like crap, have yet to see this game look like it won't stutter like poo poo so far and magically place mary poppins teleporters into the street lol

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

ethanol posted:

Alert, angry nerd post incoming......

Every change is worse besides the parkour down. I can't punch, grab, throw, disarm, poison, or shove the enemies. I don't know how much if any of this is supposed to be unlockable or not. Is all of this just wiped away by the new combat system? am I missing something? the combat was supposed to be better, um, it's worse. much worse. It's jankier than ever, like AC1 levels of combat here. What the hell happened in development? It's not more difficult, it's just frustratingly more clumsy.

The buttons, oh god the buttons. God bye intuitive AC controls. Goodbye low profile vs high profile context buttons. hold rt to free run, hold rt+a to climb, don't press rt, and A becomes snap to cover? really? Try to switch to fists, nope can't do that, that button is for medicine now. is the hidden blade even a weapon now? I can't switch to it.

oh yes eagle eye is inexplicably on a short timer, so instead of being a cool relaxed assassin surveying the scene, you're spilling your drink trying to find the target in three seconds. it's bound to Y now, which it remains in combat, trigger it in combat, and all your enemies glow so obnoxiously bright red for a bit, you won't be able to tell what the hell is going on screen. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature,
Lots of tailing mission - check
Instant fail stealth missions? oh, You betcha

I just witnessed a robbery and was queued to 'kill the criminal'. I kill him and get NO reward. Literally at that instant and 50 meters or away, the same exact criminal spawned. New side mission pops up, I kill him, no reward or recognition.

first chest I find tells me to install and open up the companion app. No loving thank you.

The crowds are immensely buggy, people just pop in right next to you as you run, all the time.

It just goes on and on, meanwhile the city looks really cool, and the style is right, the parkour is reasonably fun, and there seems to be some semblance of the best character development since AC2 going on. Then you go out into the open world and try to have some good old fashioned AC fun and the game just cremates your dreams with its force fed combat and bugs.

I think a lot of this can be patched to be better, and I'm still intrigued by what's going on in the plot. I don't know if I will be able to finish it or not though if I can't figure out how to throw a dude off a building soon and have yet to play a fun side mission. watching the game deconstruct itself into a series of buggy combat encounters in coop is not helping at all.

Some of that combat is unlockable (no grabbing and throwing as far as I can tell).

The only problem I have had so far is about two hours in the framerate drops so much it is impossible to time parries. In a later fight, I fell through a bridge...not under it, I fell into it. I just stopped at that point. I am not a framerate nerd by any means but it became egregious. They need a fix ASAP. However, I did start noticing the framerate juttering after Arno got his rear end beat and was down to less than one bar; at that point the game did a heartbeat effect that stuttered every other frame (I presume until I got healed or died). It just never went away.

I downloaded it onto my PS4; I kind of remember when the PS4 first came out, a couple of downloaded games (not on disc) had bad framerate and stutter issues. I wonder if this is the same.

Also, Sanders, the only weapon classes that are chosen for you are "one handed" and "long"...which is ok kinda since one handed doesn't have to be swords, there are maces and morningstars too. Long is like spears, and D&D esoterica like glaives, bill hooks, and guisarmes.

Would like to point out that this game is faithfully gorgeous to Paris in a downright OCD way, and this is a good thing. There are details that no one would pick up on; like that one cathedral lined with statues, and each statue is different. I will try to grab screenshots if I can. The stained glass effects are also pretty. I was just at Notre Dame (Paris, not South Bend) this year and if i ever go back I will parkour the gently caress out of that thing.

Darth Ballz fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 12, 2014

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
I recieved t

Real hurthling! posted:

rest mode has been fixed for over a week you've ignored system messages about 2 whole firmware revisions at this point and that's probably why your download is stuck.

I use my PS4 every day and never got the message until today. Same with my brothers PS4 in the same household.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

sellouts posted:

This AC app for my phone drains battery like you wouldn't believe.

It drains battery faster than the USB cable can recharge my phone (Galaxy S3).

Ed: Also can confirm than goon coop heists are fun!

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Any word on a "fix" patch for the console versions? Debating on whether to get this on PC or my PS4. On the one hand my PC is a little dated but I think I could lower the settings enough to not get any stutter. On the other, big TV. Hrm.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I've been playing Unity co-op all day on ps4 and it is pretty crappy so far.

The missions seem fun but so far every single one except two has glitched. One an NPC wouldn't walk anywhere and suddenly people were shouting that they were dead for no reason. When we tried to revive them they just laid back down dead.

One mission none of the npcs would respond to me which allowed me to get a few achievements just running around stabbing them endlessly but it wasn't a very exciting mission for sure.

The pop up is so loving awful when running through the city, I feel like I'm playing a game in the 90s. :(

I really want to like this game. The single player is okay so far and I like the customization but I'm just sort of hoping that maybe MY co-op experience isn't the standard and maybe I'm just overlooking some network setting that's making my game bug out online.

Given UbiSoft's record though, this is probably happening for everyone and we can expect a patch sometime in 2016. (Why do I keep buying these games on console?)

Anyways, I'm still going to play this and if any ps4 goons want to come join my Club it is named "Poltergeist."

Zip fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 12, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looselybased posted:

Any word on a "fix" patch for the console versions? Debating on whether to get this on PC or my PS4. On the one hand my PC is a little dated but I think I could lower the settings enough to not get any stutter. On the other, big TV. Hrm.

Depends on what you have. I can't tell you if your PC would run it well as I have a 970 GTX, which runs the game fine at 1080p60 if I turn down AA to FXAA and change it to borderless windowed/no vsync. You may want to wait and see if they'll patch the console versions before deciding.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Checking in with SLI GTX 980's. With no AA and "high" settings (not ultra), I get 25 FPS at 3840x2160. 2560x1440 gets me closer to 50fps at least. Is there any hope of them improving performance with a patch?

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
I really liked Black Flag so I pre ordered Unity. I wish I hadn't, this game is just not fun at all. The controls feel very sluggish and I think the game looks like poo poo. This game feels like it was released about 6 months sooner than it should have been. The sounds effects are pretty bad too. It sounds like you're running around with wooden boxes on your feet. No matter where you are it sounds like you're running through a tunnel.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Looselybased posted:

I'm playing on PS4 and I haven't had any stuttering graphical issues, not even with the church area other people seem to have issues with. I haven't noticed any people popping into existence in front of me either, there's just always a poo poo ton of people everywhere.

Personally I'm having a lot of fun with it and I like the new character customization options in regards to your gear. There's a bunch of hoods, jackets, gloves, belts and pants/boots to choose from, plus several full outfits of past games characters.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So the coop missions are shittons of fun. shame the performance is awful. I've got a mostly stable 30 FPS now with textures and shadows on high, environment on medium, everything else including vsync off. It goes down into the twenties occasionally with large crowds and in rifts it stabalizes at 15-20 and becomes less than playable.

E: Ok do yourself a favour and buy a heavy or a long weapon. So much nicer.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 12, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I love how you have more control over how you run, the combat is great, the whole games feels slowed down just a notch so you can actually notice poo poo, you actually need to crouch to stealth, manually use cover, and tons of people are in the streets. The whole game feels more real from what I remember creed 1 to be like, before they turned it into a cartoon graphics game for AC2. I'm not too far but everything seems like its a great improvement to the series.

maxed on a gtx 970, easily no lag.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

I assume at 800x600?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Goatman Sacks posted:

I assume at 800x600?

At 1920x1200 no problems.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Got about 2 hours in on Rogue tonight to start it off. Finished sequence 1.
At this point Shay isn't a Templar yet, but I can see them putting the pieces in place where a transition from Assassin to Templar would make sense further down the line. It's good so far though.

Otherwise, everyone calling Rogue "Black Flag 2" is absolutely correct. It pretty much picks up where AC4 leaves off, both with characters in the historical plotline (Adewale and Achillies both appear very early on), and also in modern-day (you're back working at Abstergo Entertainment, though things are a bit.. different.)

Otherwise pretty much everything else from AC4 is there. The controls and UI are the same. There's a mix of new and old sea shanties. There's a lot of the same collectibles like treasure maps again.

I also will give it credit for not dragging out the tutorial. There is one, but it's quick and to the point, and you'll have your ship within the first hour.

Basically: If you liked AC4 and wanted it to keep going just with more places to see, things to do, and story to discover, then Rogue is your game. Don't expect anything that reinvents the wheel with this one, but it's drat good at what it does.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha, enemies actually get finisher animations if you die in combat now. Just to rub it in a bit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tenzarin posted:

I love how you have more control over how you run, the combat is great, the whole games feels slowed down just a notch so you can actually notice poo poo, you actually need to crouch to stealth, manually use cover, and tons of people are in the streets. The whole game feels more real from what I remember creed 1 to be like, before they turned it into a cartoon graphics game for AC2. I'm not too far but everything seems like its a great improvement to the series.

yeah, the free running is much better. combat is mixed. i like the parry system alot it feels sorta like arkham except not as good. the gun controls suck as does the selection menu. alot of basic poo poo like dual assassination and using loving guns has to be unlocked. The game also needs to be patched to poo poo because i ran into situations where the attack input and the AI broke. Overall i like it so far and i hope they fix all the lovely control poo poo in the future game.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game ain't half bad. Messy and disjointed yes but pretty fun. I love all the customization options also. Dressing up as Napoleon :allears:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Besides the awful performance issues (1.2 seems to be aimed to fix, so there's that I guess) I've been playing Unity for the past five hours and having a total blast, so I guess I shouldn't let ~*games journalists*~ tell me what my opinions should be! Game's a ton of fun even with a janky framerate, so I can't say I particularly feel a lot of buyer's remorse.

Can anybody open those blue/yellow chests yet? I go to the initiates thing but it doesn't seem to even do anything, like it's unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Besides the awful performance issues (1.2 seems to be aimed to fix, so there's that I guess) I've been playing Unity for the past five hours and having a total blast, so I guess I shouldn't let ~*games journalists*~ tell me what my opinions should be! Game's a ton of fun even with a janky framerate, so I can't say I particularly feel a lot of buyer's remorse.

Can anybody open those blue/yellow chests yet? I go to the initiates thing but it doesn't seem to even do anything, like it's unfinished.

If you already have an Initiates account, don't try to create one in game.

Bye bye Initiates account I've had since Initiates launched. :(

My account got wiped and reset. Badges, levels, all gone. I know the values changed when initiates relaunched, but mine got reset to squat when I was level 2 or 3 yesterday.

Also, despite using the AC Unity app, and unlocking some blue chests in the app, I still cant open them in game.

• Locked thread