Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, the Nexus images still going to be released tomorrow?

Who said they would be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
November 12th was being thrown around plenty at beginning of the month.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nov 12th was mentioned as the date in which the embargo comes down and we'll see Nexus 6 reviews (which then made people infer that's the N6 release date) but I don't think we've seen anything to indicate that the images for the other devices would be released that day.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Well the 12th is mentioned by Artem Russakovskii commenting on his own post about the builds for Nexus 6 and Nexus 9.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013
I am planning on getting a Sony Xperia Z3, but I have an eligible upgrade on my iPhone and grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan. Can I just renew a 2 year contract to get the iPhone 6 under subsidy online, sell the unopened iPhone and put the SIM card in my Z3? Or is the SIM already inside or tied to the phone already? I've never tried upgrading a phone online and unsure about the process. TIA.

Edit: it also looks like the Z3 uses a nanoSIM, so I'll have to go to AT&T to swap cards anyway.

Snostorm fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 11, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

That was my sense...thanks for the confirmation. How many phones have you flipped?

Oh, you must be new around here. I'm flipped hundreds all at pure profit.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
I have a Nexus 5 with stock & the battery life is abysmal. Even with it constantly plugged in I end up between 0-10% at the end of the day. I'm looking for an alternative with much better battery life. I prefer a screen this size or slightly smaller, no interest in the new 6" phones that are being released. Any suggestions?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Unicorn Vomit posted:

I have a Nexus 5 with stock & the battery life is abysmal. Even with it constantly plugged in I end up between 0-10% at the end of the day. I'm looking for an alternative with much better battery life. I prefer a screen this size or slightly smaller, no interest in the new 6" phones that are being released. Any suggestions?
It sounds like you have a terrible app using up all your battery.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Unicorn Vomit posted:

The Z3 is your best option if you just want a shitload of battery.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Oh not really, Ive been lurking around here for years...I know you flipped a shitton and was honestly wondering how many. ;)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Somewhat bucking the trend of other sites, Engadget turned up very nice battery numbers for the turbo. In particular, SoT is jaw dropping.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/11/motorola-droid-turbo-review/

quote:

our standard video stress test (say it with me: HD video looping indefinitely with screen brightness set to 50 percent), the Turbo stuck it out for just under 14.5 hours before it finally gave up the ghost.

They really liked the camera too, even going so far as to say it produced better shots than their iPhone6 under certain circumstances.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

After a year of use the battery life on my n5 was abysmal, and nothing software related would fix it. Lollipop seemed to make it worse

Anyway, I replaced the battery last week, and it's like night and day. I'm getting a good day and a half use with the 5 preview. A lot of misc battery usage still, so hopefully this WiFi fix should make it even better

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I have a Note 3 that has recently decided it gets terrible battery life after being pretty good for the past couple of months. It generally won't last more than 8 hours or so after a full charge, and the battery screen says Android System is responsible for around 20% of consumption, with the screen usually second around 10-15%.

I'm not smart about troubleshooting Android, and google results don't seem too reliable. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I assume some sort of software restore is my first step...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

T-Mobile pushes back the N6 launch to 11/19.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/11/t-mobile-pushes-nexus-6-launch-back-one-week-to-1119/

https://twitter.com/TMobile/status/532285731180265472

Stock concerns or software concerns, place your bets.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

After a year of use the battery life on my n5 was abysmal, and nothing software related would fix it. Lollipop seemed to make it worse

Anyway, I replaced the battery last week, and it's like night and day. I'm getting a good day and a half use with the 5 preview. A lot of misc battery usage still, so hopefully this WiFi fix should make it even better

What battery did you get and how hard was it?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

IuniusBrutus posted:

What battery did you get and how hard was it?

A supposedly genuine lg one off ebay, looks real enough but then how sure can you be really? I had a choice of one for 7 quid and one for 20 quid, I went with the more expensive one as 7 seemed waay too cheap.

It was fairly easy with an opening tool (had one already but they are pennies to buy), and there are plenty of guides online. Just a small Phillips screwdriver needed, no weird hex or star ones.

Only thing that caught me out was I didn't click the lower middle area of the back cover back in properly and nfc and qi weren't working till I realised

It hasn't blown up yet

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Oh not really, Ive been lurking around here for years...I know you flipped a shitton and was honestly wondering how many. ;)

I stopped once I got the N5, I had it for a year and just flipped it for the N6 but before that it was about twenty phones.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

drat it Google what the gently caress.

I'd just sit out this drat round if my GS3 wasn't pissing me off completely. Or should I just get one of those 2013 Moto Xs and try again in a year?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just happy the reviews will hit tomorrow. Turbo may still be in my future depending on what they say or I may just sit tight.

Right now, I'm sitting on too many phones. I still haven't gotten rid of my Galaxy Nexus and I still have my Razr HD MAXX which is my current 'backup' phone and bedroom chromecast remote. If I go the Nexus 6 route, I might sell both of those off and replace them with a 2013 Moto X as a spare so that I have a small phone to swap into if the N6 proves to be too big for certain circumstances. I still may do the same thing if I decide to grab a Turbo as well since the Moto x is drat small.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Does the Nexus 6 only come in 32GB? Or am I just not seeing it anywhere?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

10 Beers posted:

Does the Nexus 6 only come in 32GB? Or am I just not seeing it anywhere?

It comes in 32 and 64 if you can find them

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Do you think that adding grip tape will increase the flippable value?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

vyst posted:

Do you think that adding grip tape will increase the flippable value?

Nope. Remove before flip. Monies higher that way.

Source: "gripsauce"

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

hotsauce posted:

Nope. Remove before flip. Monies higher that way.

Source: "gripsauce"

Goddamn that joke never gets old. Still not sure if that poster was serious.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WhyteRyce posted:

drat it Google what the gently caress.

I'd just sit out this drat round if my GS3 wasn't pissing me off completely. Or should I just get one of those 2013 Moto Xs and try again in a year?

You guys are hilarious.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

You guys are hilarious.

One week by itself is not bad but given Google's less than stellar history, how things are going so far for L and the preorders, and the rumored lack of availability for the holidays it's not like the complaints are unwarranted

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the Lollipop soak test for the 2014 Moto G is coming very soon.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/102639

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Guys any recommendations for Droid Turbo cases? I need to order tonight.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Somewhat bucking the trend of other sites, Engadget turned up very nice battery numbers for the turbo. In particular, SoT is jaw dropping.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/11/motorola-droid-turbo-review/

They really liked the camera too, even going so far as to say it produced better shots than their iPhone6 under certain circumstances.

As a turbo owner, I'm more than happy with the battery life. I can finally hammer away at my battery without worrying. Combine that with the turbo charger (and the qi charger that will be here tomorrow) and I can just stop worrying.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WhyteRyce posted:

One week by itself is not bad but given Google's less than stellar history, how things are going so far for L and the preorders, and the rumored lack of availability for the holidays it's not like the complaints are unwarranted

The hilarious bits are:
  • preordering
  • preordering from Google
  • preordering from Google and expecting no delays

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

vulturesrow posted:

Guys any recommendations for Droid Turbo cases? I need to order tonight.

Amazon is still dry. Biggest absence is diztronic. I bought an otter box straight from otter because I really can't find one anywhere else

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

The hilarious bits are:
  • preordering
  • preordering from Google
  • preordering from Google and expecting no delays

Ah yes. One day we will learn our lesson. One day.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think my favorite part is the whole going traditional carrier route and having none of the carriers offer anything but blue in 32gb.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I stopped once I got the N5, I had it for a year and just flipped it for the N6 but before that it was about twenty phones.

Except you went through like five Nexus 5's because you never figured out the color and capacity you wanted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lollipop is now live for all unlocked 2014 Moto G devices. It isn't just a soak test, it's live now.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/unlocked-2014-moto-gs-can-download-their-lollipop-update-now/

$179 phone just schooled everyone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 12, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Lollipop is now live for all unlocked 2014 Moto G devices. It isn't just a soak test, it's live now.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/unlocked-2014-moto-gs-can-download-their-lollipop-update-now/

$179 phone just schooled everyone.

It's amazing how much faster movements are being made to update to Lollipop. I'm on a N5 and sure I'd love to see those rumored images come out tomorrow but this should be celebrated.

It's great and I hope it gets better with future updates.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
This could not have been better. :allears:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

According to Android Police the "final" build of Lollipop just leaked for the 2012 WiFi Nexus 7

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/11/leak-download-lollipop-lrx21p-factory-image-for-2012-nexus-7-wifi/

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
What sort of bizarro world are we in right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Well AT&T has preorders up for the Nexus 6. https://www.att.com/cellphones/motorola/nexus-6.html Apparently 12:00 est is code for not that.

• Locked thread