Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
What would happen if I modded this game to have shattered world on, and then immediately exported that game over to EUIV and started the game? Like, going from the very first day of Charlamagne and just exporting right away.

Does the converter even work with mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ofaloaf et al who's working on AtE, I have a request. After seeing a couple pages of people praising inclusion of x faction or place, I'm slightly saddened by the map not reaching Alaska. I would be pleased as punch if an Alaskan invasion could trigger. Once you've gotten the west coast populated, of course.

Bonus points if you can tweak the AI to want to make a beeline for Florida so everyone's gotta deal with that poo poo. :freep:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Another Person posted:

What would happen if I modded this game to have shattered world on, and then immediately exported that game over to EUIV and started the game? Like, going from the very first day of Charlamagne and just exporting right away.

I now really want to find out

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Another Person posted:

It depends on what the mods do. Pure mechanics it should work fine, but if you add a culture, or a religion, or a title, that'll need to be added to the converter. I believe all the counties are in there, so just shattering everything should convert over just fine (when they finish updating the converter, that is).

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Hm. Since it isn't adding cultures, then it should work fine? Great!

It might be interesting to do a run of EUIV where there are no pre-existing dominant power blocks like France or the HRE. Everyone starts the same. It would probably also give territories in the new worlds a good time to develop and be closer to equal with the Euro powers too, by the time they get over there.

Removing the power blocks means you will also have to think harder about your alliances. No more soft choices which are obvious, like allying with a great power so they can roll over your enemy in a war.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

Strudel Man posted:

Hm. I don't have a save handy with a reformed faith, but I'll fiddle something up to check.

edit: Making only the change I suggested, as reformed Romuva, I can send my diviner out to other realms, and I get the proper response events from their rulers. All three job actions are available. Don't know what to tell you.

Actually, are you running 2.1.6, or 2.2? I'm avoiding the update because it sounds pretty unfun for the most part. It's hard to imagine how that would have changed in such a way to cause the effects you describe, but maybe.

I am running the newest beta, but I don't think that should have changed anything relating to religion.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Mortuus posted:

I am running the newest beta, but I don't think that should have changed anything relating to religion.
No, I wouldn't really think so either. At least not related to that mechanic specifically.

This is what the local chunk of my altered job_actions.txt looks like:

code:
action_inquisition = {
	attribute = learning

trigger = {
		OR = {
			owner = {
				#FROM = { NOT = { religion_group = pagan_group } }
				FROM = { is_reformed_religion = yes }
				independent = yes
				NOT = { religion = FROM }
				religion_group = pagan_group
				OR = {
					NOT = { religion = aztec }
					year = 1350
				}
				is_reformed_religion = no
If it essentially matches yours, then I don't know what the problem is.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So what historically led to the Abassids downfall? Because that poo poo needs to be modeled somehow. I managed to hold off the the ERE for about twenty years in a brutal war of attrition as the Khazars, only for the Greeks to get immediately eaten by the Caliphate. Once they'd finally got done devouring the Caucasus and Khiva, they just started stomping on my nuts every chance they got. No amount of clever fuckery will get around thirty thousand jihadis bearing down on your capital.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Another Person posted:

It might be interesting to do a run of EUIV where there are no pre-existing dominant power blocks like France or the HRE. Everyone starts the same. It would probably also give territories in the new worlds a good time to develop and be closer to equal with the Euro powers too, by the time they get over there.

Removing the power blocks means you will also have to think harder about your alliances. No more soft choices which are obvious, like allying with a great power so they can roll over your enemy in a war.

You're looking for Europa Gooniversalis, which balkanises most of the Old World. This breaking-up of power blocs you're describing also works great for variety in MP, which is what it's nominally for, but there's nothing stopping you playing SP with a 'balanced' opening scenario, a lot more nations/formables and rebalancing of non-Western penalties. There's also Alikchi's Dark Continent, which is a bit different (Europe starts mostly empty and open to colonisation). Both of these are being updated to meet AoW's tonne of new provinces but if you keep an eye on the Steam Workshop they'll show up sooner or later.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

No, I wouldn't really think so either. At least not related to that mechanic specifically.

This is what the local chunk of my altered job_actions.txt looks like:

code:
action_inquisition = {
	attribute = learning

trigger = {
		OR = {
			owner = {
				#FROM = { NOT = { religion_group = pagan_group } }
				FROM = { is_reformed_religion = yes }
				independent = yes
				NOT = { religion = FROM }
				religion_group = pagan_group
				OR = {
					NOT = { religion = aztec }
					year = 1350
				}
				is_reformed_religion = no
If it essentially matches yours, then I don't know what the problem is.

This is what I have in mine, and it works fine:

code:
				from = {
					or = {
						is_reformed_religion = yes
						not = { religion_group = pagan_group }
					}
				}

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Schizotek posted:

So what historically led to the Abassids downfall? Because that poo poo needs to be modeled somehow. I managed to hold off the the ERE for about twenty years in a brutal war of attrition as the Khazars, only for the Greeks to get immediately eaten by the Caliphate. Once they'd finally got done devouring the Caucasus and Khiva, they just started stomping on my nuts every chance they got. No amount of clever fuckery will get around thirty thousand jihadis bearing down on your capital.

They more-or-less peacefully lost a lot of their outlying territories to semi-independence, then got sucker punched by the Mongols.

Right now you have to be lucky enough for them to lose their grip on their vassals repeatedly, or be strong enough to repeatedly damage their manpower until they start having other problems (cf repeated crusades).

Technically, there's an incredibly gamey way to cripple them as Zunbil, but I've made some mistakes every time I've tried it.

You can beat them to Kalat, which means you get possession of the siege. If you never make peace, the Abbasids won't either, and they'll never disband their levies. This means they :siren: can't declare wars :siren:, will slowly lose vassal opinion (although this isn't real useful unless they get a real young or real stupid inheritance), and can't fire most of their decadence-reducing decisions.

Your top priority at this point is to keep the Count of Kalat from successfully calling up the Buddhist holy order long enough to break the stalemate. I recommend keeping your capital in Bost and ~600g in the bank and watching Kalat like a hawk so you can drown them in mercenaries before the Buddhists bust open the occupation and run off to die. You can potentially afford for them to do it once without the Abbasids reaching 100% warscore from battles, but it's risky.

I always screw it up eventually, but it still buys quite a bit of time to get your expansion started and the Caliph buttered up. In theory, you can keep Kalat occupied indefinitely.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Schizotek posted:

Religious disunity, emirs granted autonomy breaking away, the loss of Egypt to the Fatimids, fighting with the Umayyads, eventually the Mongols, pick one. Even by 900 most of the emirs outside Mesopotamia only gave nominal allegiance to Baghdad. A centralized empire being able to raise 100,000 men in 850 is about as realistic as the nation of Germany existing in 1000.

Apparently the Mongols thought that if they shed the blood of the last Caliph, a sayyid, they'd be struck down. So they rolled him up in a carpet and trampled him to death with horses instead.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 11, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Religious disunity, emirs granted autonomy breaking away, the loss of Egypt to the Fatimids, fighting with the Umayyads, eventually the Mongols, pick one. Even by 900 most of the emirs outside Mesopotamia only gave nominal allegiance to Baghdad. A centralized empire being able to raise 100,000 men in 850 is about as realistic as the nation of Germany existing in 1000.

Apparently the Mongols thought that if they shed the blood of the last Caliph, a sayyid, they'd be struck down. So they rolled him up in a carpet and trampled him to death with horses instead.

I think the mongols had a taboo on spilling royal blood in general, so as you said they murder them in other ways.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Strudel Man posted:

edit: Oh! Unless - have you tried checking for opinions? I don't actually know if this would work, but if they don't have sympathy, the target should have opinion_infidel on them, and vice versa. It should be gone (or at least, it doesn't show in the UI or appear in the calculation of final opinion) if they are sympathetic.

So I tried this, and it doesn't seem to work. (Caveat: I have never scripted before)

Started as a Shia emir, married a Zoroastrian courtier, opinion penalty for "infidel" but the condition is still red when using testevent.

Also I clearly hosed up the "any_province" bit at the end (was trying to restrict the event to a ruler who either had a vassal or subject county of the same faith as the spouse), but that's presumably a separate issue. I'm not sure how to rewrite that part.

The trigger in question:

code:
trigger = {
	in_command = no
	war = no
	is_abroad = no
	NOT = {	trait = zealous	}
	is_married = yes
	spouse = {
		prisoner = no
		is_alive = yes
		is_abroad = no
		has_opinion_modifier = { who = ROOT  modifier = opinion_infidel }
		NOT = { 
			trait = cynical
			trait = incapable
		}
		ROOT = {
			OR = {
				any_vassal = {	religion_group = PREVPREV}
				any_province = {
					religion_group = PREVPREVPREV
					owner = ROOT
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

Glass Hand fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 12, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Strudel Man posted:

I kinda wish more was done with the religious tolerance traits. Like, the way you get them now is so rigidly circumscribed that it may as well not exist - you might get it if you're personally converted, or if you go on pilgrimage as a christian you have a very slight chance of getting tolerance towards jews or muslims, or the learning-oriented muslims will probably get tolerance towards christians and jews.

Maybe if you're not zealous and you have people of another faith in your court, you should have a chance of an event where the two of you discuss religion, and each gets a choice about becoming tolerant of the other's faith (or alternately, a chance of being repelled by it and becoming zealous). Or if you have wrong-faith trade posts in your demesne. Or if you're ruling over wrong-faith provinces. Something to make them a little bit more common in areas where multiple faiths converge.

I think this can already happen. I distinctly remember one guy in this very thread playing a Jewish vassal to a Catholic king and due to them being friends he got an event whereupon the king converted to Judaism.

It's highly circumstantial though: if you have one of the tolerance traits and there's a member of that religion in your court, you might get an even where the two of you forge a friendship based on your knowledge of their religion, and apparently later on it can lead to an event where you convert to your friend's faith.

I've had the friendship event fire with two different rulers: once as a Catholic ruler who picked up the Sympathy for Judaism trait who became BFFs with his Jewish spymaster, and once as a Pecheneg King who converted to Orthodox and picked up Sympathy for Pagans. My Tengri Marshal was my best bro, even as I was cutting down members of his faith left and right.

One of the funny features of the sympathy traits is that try always count as a relations malus towards people with the Zealous trait. If my character is a Catholic with Sympathy for Judaism, Zealous Jews will hate him all the more for that. "Don't you dare sympathize with my religion, goyim!"

e: Actually, it's probably more like "I have a great deal of sympathy for your Jewish faith, because even our lord and savior Jesus Christ was a Jew!"
"Dude, no."

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 11, 2014

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Another Person posted:

Trying this just crashes my game. :sigh:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Glass Hand posted:

Started as a Shia emir, married a Zoroastrian courtier, opinion penalty for "infidel" but the condition is still red when using testevent.
Well, drat. I was afraid of that. Pretty sure the problem is that there's kind of two kinds of modifiers, ones that are granted by event and disappear over time, and ones that are semipermanent, situationally assigned by the engine. has_opinion_modifier probably only checks for the latter kind, as those are the only ones that are under script control.

Guess it's back to ugly block-o-conditions

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 11, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ah, so basically the Abassids are the Muslim (and therefore more aggressive) version of the HRE.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 11, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

THE BAR posted:

Trying this just crashes my game. :sigh:

Well duh. The game is trying to load tags that don't exist.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Well duh. The game is trying to load tags that don't exist.

I meant during the actual conversion.

But yeah.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Strudel Man posted:

Well, drat. I was afraid of that. Pretty sure the problem is that there's kind of two kinds of modifiers, ones that are granted by event and disappear over time, and ones that are semipermanent, situationally assigned by the engine. has_opinion_modifier probably only checks for the latter kind, as those are the only ones that are under script control.

Guess it's back to ugly block-o-conditions

I'm guessing there's no way to define and create objects or even just functions in event scripting?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Sorry for the double post but still looking for advice on Merchant Republics. This time I have specific questions however.

Recap - Just converted Tribal Lithuania into Merc Republic.

1) As I understand it, "King of Lithuania" has converted into Doge of whatever its call now. Straight title swap. Is this the case?

I also notice we now have a holding for the mansion. As far as I can tell this counts as a landed title (of unknown rank) so no matter what happens as long as our dynasty continues we don't get a game over even if we lose the election. Again is this correct?

2) So when my current guy, the Doge, dies what happens to the following? Also any difference between Tribal\Feudal vassals and city vassals?
a) Non-De jure vassals outside kingdom\republic of Lithuania - I assume they go to my heir even if I lose? Or do they go to the new Doge?
b) De jure vassals of Lithuania? Heir or Doge?
c) Personal holdings inside and outside of the republic, cities and tribal (didn't upgrade them all at once)? Heir or Doge?
d) The capital city\county? Heir or Doge?

3) Assuming everything doesn't just go to the election winner, is my family holdings heir always going to be the guy I put in the election. Or will I have to deal with splits? How about stuff in other kingdoms do they follow that kingdoms laws or the Republic mechanics?

4) Any benefit to keeping all this land or should I get rid? (Currently De jure lithuania and some snakes out to the holy sites plus a big block of Estonian\Russian lands taken to up Moral Authority so I could reform the faith without the holy site near Saxony.)

5) Should I set about converting all my vassals to Cities (after I pinch the best coastlines for myself - depending on answers to the above). Also any point making cities inland or should I make whatever the pagan version of a bishopric is? Also do I as a republic have the same max 10% vassal cities limit?

Thanks again!

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 11, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Sorry for the double post but still looking for advice on Merchant Republics. This time I have specific questions however.

Recap - Just converted Tribal Lithuania into Merc Republic.

1) As I understand it, "King of Lithuania" has converted into Doge of whatever its call now. Straight title swap. Is this the case?

I also notice we now have a holding for the mansion. As far as I can tell this counts as a landed title (of unknown rank) so no matter what happens as long as our dynasty continues we don't get a game over even if we lose the election. Again is this correct?

2) So when my current guy, the Doge, dies what happens to the following? Also any difference between Tribal\Feudal vassals and city vassals?
a) Non-De jure vassals outside kingdom\republic of Lithuania - I assume they go to my heir even if I lose? Or do they go to the new Doge?
b) De jure vassals of Lithuania? Heir or Doge?
c) Personal holdings inside and outside of the republic, cities and tribal (didn't upgrade them all at once)? Heir or Doge?
d) The capital city\county? Heir or Doge?

3) Assuming everything doesn't just go to the election winner, is my family holdings heir always going to be the guy I put in the election. Or will I have to deal with splits? How about stuff in other kingdoms do they follow that kingdoms laws or the Republic mechanics?

4) Any benefit to keeping all this land or should I get rid? (Currently De jure lithuania and some snakes out to the holy sites plus a big block of Estonian\Russian lands taken to up Moral Authority so I could reform the faith without the holy site near Saxony.)

5) Should I set about converting all my vassals to Cities (after I pinch the best coastlines for myself - depending on answers to the above). Also any point making cities inland or should I make whatever the pagan version of a bishopric is? Also do I as a republic have the same max 10% vassal cities limit?

Thanks again!

1) Yes. The title is exactly the same, it's just the person that's holding it has a different status (Mayor instead of Feudal lord). Your mansion counts as a holding so you can't become unlanded even if you lose the election. However, if the merchant republic is destroyed somehow, you will revert to a feudal lord and lose it.

2) When you lose an election, the Doge gets your primary title, any other titles on the same tier as said primary title, as well as the de jure capital and capital duchy of that title. Even if your personal capital is different from the de jure capital, they'll get the de jure capital. I'm not sure what happens exactly if you don't personally control the de jure capital, but the Doge will still get the de jure duchy/kingdom abover it.

a) They will most likely go to the Doge, since they'll be considered to be under the kingdom title even if they aren't de jure part of it.
b) Also the Doge.
c) All personal holdings aside from the ones mentioned above will go to your heir. Any de jure vassals of those titles will go to the heir as well.
d) Doge, as mentioned above.

3) Your personal heir is always the candidate for the election. You're considered the dynastic head so it doesn't matter if you've got a brother who's the Holy Roman Emperor - unless you designate him as your heir, or he happens to be the heir under normal seniority succession, he won't have any impact on your republic at all. Everything goes to the heir - there are no gavelkind style splits of property. If the heir himself owns property in another kingdom which has laws preventing property from passing out of the kingdom, you may have issues - if the heir wins the election, I think that property will revert to his former liege's control rather than coming with him, unless the title he's under is higher than the republic title, in which case the whole republic will become a vassal of that kingdom/empire.

4) Same benefits as owning land as a feudal lord. More vassals means more levies to raise and more tax income. No reason to ditch it unless you're having problems controlling the vassals or defending it from outside forces.

5) Your tribal vassals will automatically start working towards converting themselves to cities when they're under a Republic. Republics don't have the 10% city vassal limit that feudal kingdoms do, but they are still restricted by the theocracy limit. Otherwise it's the same benefits as any other kind of vassals - cities will give you more taxes, bishoprics will give you a good split of taxes and levies, and feudal lords will give you lots of levies.

One final note about Merchant Republics is that you're allowed to have both cities AND baronies in your demense without the wrong holding type penalty, so you can still have a good amount of personal troops by building baronies. Your family estate will provide a ton of them as well. I'm also not 100% sure one some of the inheritance stuff - I'm actually playing an empire level Merchant Republic game now and have set myself up to lose the next election just to see what happens. Most of it is right from the wiki though.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Monopthalmus posted:

Any idea why my ironman saves keep getting corrupted/altered a little while into a game? I was using save and quit when I exit, but is that what causes it? I was assuming I wouldn't be allowed to save in a way that would corrupt/alter it and stop getting achievements. Also, all of my cloud saves are just corrupt data and even if I delete them they just come back as corrupt, even when I wasn't playing ironman. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Didn't see anyone answer this yet:

I ran into this as well, and the issue is something related to the way CKII retrieves cloud data. However, and here's the good news, the save game is not lost.

Open your local cache (by default c:\program files\steam\userdata\[steam id]\203770\remote\save games) and copy that .ck2 file to the local save location (by default c:\users\[username]\documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\save games -- if the save games folder isn't there, just create one with that name).

You won't be able to use the cloud saves again on that game, but it will work.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Thanks for the republic advice.

So basically doge gets capital kingdom/dutchy/county depending and level of the republic and all vassals under that. You however keep the rest.

Glad I moved my capital to a two province dutchy before converting. Ill pinch the other coastal areas for myself and go to town.

Thanks again.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is there any way of turning a merchant republic vassal of duchy level into a kingdom level republic? I remember seeing this happen once to a vassal republic, but I never managed to force it myself.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is there any way of turning a merchant republic vassal of duchy level into a kingdom level republic? I remember seeing this happen once to a vassal republic, but I never managed to force it myself.

You're no longer allowed to hand king level titles to vassal repubics/theocracies. They will create them if they meet the requirements, but you can't actually give them the titles.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SeaTard posted:

You're no longer allowed to hand king level titles to vassal repubics/theocracies. They will create them if they meet the requirements, but you can't actually give them the titles.

What the gently caress?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SeaTard posted:

It wanst possible before either (last time I tried was before CM). I was just wondering if there was some other way.

But really, why I cant I just give then the title? This game has some arbitrary rules sometimes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

It wanst possible before either (last time I tried was before CM). I was just wondering if there was some other way.

But really, why I cant I just give then the title? This game has some arbitrary rules sometimes.

I believe it was changed in SoA.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guest posted:

This is probably the most elegant handling of a bug I've come across in a video game.

It also happens if you've executed them, so maybe a little less elegant than you'd think.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Another Person posted:

Like, going from the very first day of Charlamagne and just exporting right away.

If you mean what I think you mean here, this won't work like you think it will. I'm pretty sure that no matter what the date is in the CKII save, it gets converted over as 1444.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I'm guessing there's no way to define and create objects or even just functions in event scripting?
Well, triggered-only events can approximate functions for many purposes. But no, there's no way to hook into the engine in the way you'd need to here.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

DStecks posted:

If you mean what I think you mean here, this won't work like you think it will. I'm pretty sure that no matter what the date is in the CKII save, it gets converted over as 1444.

He was just meaning going into EU4 start date with a completely balkanised europe.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If it's crashing, it's probably because there are too many tags.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I've been playing HIP (just on the normal map though, not SWMH) with the shattered balance option (basically the same thing as shattered worlds, except you get some extra options when you pick it but I didn't use any of them other than "don't destroy merchant republics") from the Charlemange start. This is the state of the world in 1007:

Diplomatic map:

Religion map:

Scandanavia up top is me, because sorry HIP devs but just putting a cooldown on subjugation wars and conquest isn't going to stop the Nordic tide. :black101:

There's a bunch of interesting things that have happened. One thing that surprised me was that I've found at least one kingdom the AI created using the CM "create a new kingdom" decision, which I didn't even know they could use. Down at Jerusalem is the "Kingdom of Galilee". I'm guessing that since the kingdom of Jerusalem is restricted to creation by Christians only, the AI basically built it then decided to establish its own kingdom. Also kind of funny - both the Umayyads AND Abbasids expanded and actually built up to control the same territory they do in the normal CM start, despite the fact that any other Muslim ruler could have accomplished the same thing since everyone starts from a single county. The Abbasids haven't actually formed a unified Arabian empire, but the kingdoms there are all controlled by different branches of the family. The Umayyads have been pushed down into Africa by another dynasty, but they were controlling that green area in Spain for a while too. In contrast, the Karlings went absolutely nowhere.

Up in Europe, Ireland was one of the first kingdoms to form, which is kind of funny considering how long they usually take. Sicily is actually a merchant republic, having starting from Amalfi. I'm not even sure how they got all that territory, since the AI barely ever expands as republics. France also got together fairly early, and they've become the second empire after mine. Nobody else has an empire yet, but they're getting close in India, and if Abyssinia decides to spread up into Egypt they could form as well, but they seem to be pretty content having just secured the kingdoms there. Some of the heretic kingdoms in Europe are kind of interesting - since everybody starts out as counties, some of the single province religions managed to do a bit better than they do in a normal game - the Zunists are still around, although not very big, and some Waldensians and Fraticellis that popped up when an antipope tanked Catholic MA a few centuries ago are still around and holding on to their kingdoms (although if France keeps expanding they won't last much longer).

One thing that has been bugging me is that I reformed Germanic ages ago but haven't gotten the Jomsvikings yet - where are the counties they can pop up? I think they might currently be under another religion's control but I can't find them with the title finder (I think HIP adds a bunch of new cultural variations on title names, and the title finder only looks at the name that's currently used by the controlling culture)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yea, you don't control the counties needed for forming them. They're, Pomerania (or Meckleburg if they Christian), it's there to the left of Denmark near that other island, from what I remember.

Oh, and if the slots are full, they won't ask and also won't ask you if they already asked the guys holding it? Maybe.

Allyn gave me the code to form them earlier in the thread though, it's: event TOG.4010 if they don't trigger right.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yea, you don't control the counties needed for forming them. They're, Pomerania (or Meckleburg if they Christian), it's there to the left of Denmark near that other island, from what I remember.

Oh, and if the slots are full, they won't ask and also won't ask you if they already asked the guys holding it? Maybe.

Allyn gave me the code to form them earlier in the thread though, it's: event TOG.4010 if they don't trigger right.

There is a different event for each province, and yes if the holder says no, they will never try and spawn again.

Province:Event ID

Stettin:TOG.4004
Wolgast:TOG.4009
Rugen:TOG.4010
Werle:TOG.4020

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Finally got a custom map loading properly :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So I've been playing HIP (just on the normal map though, not SWMH)

I really, really wish there was a "SWMH lite" that had SWMH's expanded Africa, SWMH's reworked Syrian/Arabian deserts, and SWMH's kingdom structure, but without so much province bloat. I'm stuck in a situation where all the fiddly little extra provinces in Germany, Ireland, and so on do nothing for me but slow the game down, yet the vanilla map with isolated Ghana and fully settled middle-of-loving-nowhere deserts in the ME just doesn't cut it.

• Locked thread