Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Ornamented Death posted:

Jim can't manage one Dresden book a year anymore; I doubt he will somehow change that plus find the time to write another whole book each year.

How many are left; we are on 15/20 and there's going to be a trilogy for the end meaning 23 books or is that trilogy going to start at book 17?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Azuth0667 posted:

How many are left; we are on 15/20 and there's going to be a trilogy for the end meaning 23 books or is that trilogy going to start at book 17?

I'm pretty sure it's 23 total.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's 20/21 case files (Jim waffles on the exact number) and the final trilogy. Jim has also stated that each book of the final trilogy will be roughly twice as long as the longest case files, and as such will likely take him twice as long to write.

So yeah, we're looking at 2030 or so for the whole series to be done.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I just finished listening to Skin Game (I went through the entire series on audiobook). Really wish that Harry had actually killed Nicodemus when he strangled him. Ghost Story was pretty terrible.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 12, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really hope the next time we see Nick is the last. He just isn't scary anymore.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Also holy poo poo does Butcher love describing in detail how every woman looks

Edit: And Mister needs his own short story :colbert:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 12, 2014

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

ImpAtom posted:

I really hope the next time we see Nick is the last. He just isn't scary anymore.

If Jim follows the pattern the next time we will see Nic is the last case file.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Azuth0667 posted:

If Jim follows the pattern the next time we will see Nic is the last case file.

Remember Changes was supposed to be the midpoint, and it was at book 12. I'll be drat surprised if he doesn't make it to 22 at least.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

VanSandman posted:

Remember Changes was supposed to be the midpoint, and it was at book 12. I'll be drat surprised if he doesn't make it to 22 at least.

Denarians are every 5th book. Unless Butcher gets to 25 case files (nope), then 20 is that last time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wolpertinger posted:

I didn't really get too into Sandman Slim myself, I think I read the first book and was just too eh to pick up the second. It came off like he was trying too hard to make the main character TOTALLY BADASS AND HARDCORE.

I can definitely see where you'd get turned off Dead Things seeming a bit too edgy and grimdark, though. But, it's practically a genre staple to make the urban fantasy protagonist suffer like hell, even if it did go a bit far :v:. The next book scaled it back a bit, though.

Thing about the Sandman Slim books: they're not for everyone. If the BADASS and HARDCORE stuff starts to annoy you, it's not going to get better. For me, that stuff is endearingly cheesy. They're not good books, they're just fun ones if you can read them in the right mindset. But I know as well as anyone--sometimes stuff just rubs you the wrong way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Farecoal posted:

Also holy poo poo does Butcher love describing in detail how every woman looks

I can't really tell. In my case, I started reading Dresden AFTER I got into the Wheel of Time, so it's harder for me to notice anything that isn't Jordan-esque in length.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I can't really tell. In my case, I started reading Dresden AFTER I got into the Wheel of Time, so it's harder for me to notice anything that isn't Jordan-esque in length.

I could ignore the tug's braid/smooth's dress stuff in WoT far easier than I could the nipple fetish going on when Dresden is narrating. I get that Butcher is illustrating how much of a goon Harry is, but holy poo poo enough already.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OptimusWang posted:

I could ignore the tug's braid/smooth's dress stuff in WoT far easier than I could the nipple fetish going on when Dresden is narrating. I get that Butcher is illustrating how much of a goon Harry is, but holy poo poo enough already.

It's almost as bad as how often Harry talks about how he's always popping an erection over every attractive woman he sees (pants suddenly so many sizes too small, etc.).

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just finished reading (listening to) the whole series and loved it. Is there a list anywhere of all the powerups he gets through the series in a concise view? Because man, it was almost every book and gap between books he was more than he had been (even taking into consideration natural talent progression).

Edit: Also, I must have missed this (listened to it at 2x so it's possible): how was Molly able to become the Winter Lady when Maeve died? I thought it had to be someone from the Faerie courts/nobility.

mastajake fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 12, 2014

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

mastajake posted:

I just finished reading (listening to) the whole series and loved it. Is there a list anywhere of all the powerups he gets through the series in a concise view? Because man, it was almost every book and gap between books he was more than he had been (even taking into consideration natural talent progression).

Edit: Also, I must have missed this (listened to it at 2x so it's possible): how was Molly able to become the Winter Lady when Maeve died? I thought it had to be someone from the Faerie courts/nobility.

All the time that Molly spent with Lea made her eligible.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

mastajake posted:

There's always the warden psych profile someone made on the official forum: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19774.msg872252.html#msg872252

And the RPG has a page on it up to Small Favor:

Dr. MonkeyThunder fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 12, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ornamented Death posted:

It's 20/21 case files (Jim waffles on the exact number) and the final trilogy. Jim has also stated that each book of the final trilogy will be roughly twice as long as the longest case files, and as such will likely take him twice as long to write.

So yeah, we're looking at 2030 or so for the whole series to be done.

I can't process Dresden not being finished till I'm 40.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

mastajake posted:

Wait a sec, did you say you listened to it at double speed? Why? And what does James Masters sound like all sped up?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It makes it seem more intense for me. Like I really feel the time constraint plots in suspenseful sections of books. People (including Marsters) tend to sound the same, just more like they are in a hurry while telling you a story and less like they are telling it to you by a campfire or something. It's definitely an interesting experience, and obviously I enjoy it. I got a new phone last week and was confused why it seemed like Marsters was talking to me like I was a stupid kid and then realized I hadn't turned the new phone's audible to 2x. So really, weird to get used to, but weirder to get used to not having it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Huh. That's kind of interesting, might have to give it a try next time.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you're listening, you owe it to yourself to check out Aaronovitch because the guy reading it is just so wonderfully british. The dry humor really comes out.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Listening to the first book in the Alex Verus series right now, the narrator is pretty good but he sounds sort of robotic at times, especially when female characters are talking. I don't mean monotone, just really stilted with odd pauses

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The first Verus book is easily the least polished in that respect. If you like the characters and basic premise, stick with it because the writing weaknesses reduce over time (chalk it up to writer experience).

Edit: ignore me I didn't pay attention when you said you were talking about the audio book.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Don't start reading Game of Thrones then, that shows no signs of ending at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

autism chariot posted:

The first Verus book is easily the least polished in that respect. If you like the characters and basic premise, stick with it because the writing weaknesses reduce over time (chalk it up to writer experience).

Edit: ignore me I didn't pay attention when you said you were talking about the audio book.

I think Verus gets better once the author embraces the "Alex is a self-centered rear end in a top hat who barely straddles the line between monster and good person" stuff rather than the first book which in retrospect basically makes him a wacky hero who is getting into a creepy exploitative romance.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I think Verus gets better once the author embraces the "Alex is a self-centered rear end in a top hat who barely straddles the line between monster and good person" stuff rather than the first book which in retrospect basically makes him a wacky hero who is getting into a creepy exploitative romance.

I think this is an accurate interpretation of Alex's development and is what makes the series fun for me. The climax of Chosen and the way he "solved" the problem exemplifies this trend.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
It's probably been brought up a few times already, but the Daniel Faust books are great. The 3rd book us also a natural ending to the series, even though the author is throwing out new books later.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'll be in my late forties :stare:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Look at the bright side, though:
This long period gives people a good long time to forget the TV series and potentially drum up support for a new set of book-accurate cinematic movies or a new, HBO-quality TV show.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

This long period gives people a good long time to forget the TV series and potentially drum up support for a new set of book-accurate cinematic movies or a new, HBO-quality TV show.

That's what we need, to be reading dorky wizard books into our 40s and watching dorky wizard shows well into our early 60s.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

Only if we get Paul Blackthorne back as Harry. The rest of the show was poo poo but he was great, especially given what he was working with.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

OptimusWang posted:

Only if we get Paul Blackthorne back as Harry. The rest of the show was poo poo but he was great, especially given what he was working with.

I will accept Vincent whateverhisnameisfromthatinvisiblemanshow (Vega?) if needed.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That's what we need, to be reading dorky wizard books into our 40s and watching dorky wizard shows well into our early 60s.

Yep. :colbert:

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Absolutely. I expect to grow older but have no plans to mature.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Of course. Maturation is for jerks, losers, and big meanies. Who needs to be mature when we can be free, young, and happy?

Not me...not me...

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 13, 2014

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
By the time the series ends technology might have progressed to the point where wizards can use the internet, but had better not go within 200yards of a teleportation station!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'll be in my late forties :stare:

Pfttttttt! I'm already 50.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, having to wait for the new Rivers of London book is officially driving me up the wall (I don't want to switch my Kindle to England because of the few people who've run into problems doing that).

Hopefully the copy I preordered from the UK travels swiftly.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
And... Cinder Spires is done.

On to Peace Talks!

https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/533204154324623361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, having to wait for the new Rivers of London book is officially driving me up the wall (I don't want to switch my Kindle to England because of the few people who've run into problems doing that).

Hopefully the copy I preordered from the UK travels swiftly.

I pre-ordered the ebook on Amazon.com and got it yesterday, though I suppose that information doesn't help you very much if you've already bought a physical copy.