Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

He's just saying he wishes the dates were in chronological order while the narrative was not.

It would work just fine with day 30 first, though it might need to be reworded a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Wadjamaloo posted:

Speaking of, I've been playing norin sisters and doing lovely with it. Mostly because I never face delver and instead just play against poo poo I have no chance of winning. How do you do it?

I did lose to this delver deck in Round 1 of a daily though. Fucker was maindecking bloodmoon and I drew nothing but shocks and tectonic edge.
Round 2 I beat a burn player that cast 2 treasure cruises and a leyline of punishment.

Haha, idunno man. Almost literally all I've played has been UR Delver, which I'm currently 18/2 against. I've played this WUR Delver guy a few times, including one game where he Cruised FIVE TIMES (I still won because Norin.) Other than that, I played Scapeshift once and barely lost (I would have won on time but I conceded with his lethal Valakut triggers on the stack because MTGO had crashed on him halfway through our match) Zoo a few times, which I've never even come close to losing a game to, including one that splashed blue for treasure cruise because that's the world we live in, and GR Tron once which is borderline unwinnable. The only other deck I've ever played was this weird GR meta deck with a bunch of main Pyroclasms, Volcanic Fallouts, Anger of the Gods, etc. I crushed him.

I like the deck because sometime you just run out a turn 2 4/4 Champion of the Parish followed by a turn 3 4/4+ Ajani's Pridemate, and the life gain is completely irrelevant. Torpor Orb is the bain of the deck, fortunately nobody seems to be playing it these days.

Anyway, I was thinking we should set up something so anyone going to Jersey can meet up. I'll have my cube and obviously some legacy decks. Would a Facebook group work?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The vintage super league stream just died right as LSV cast a Notion Thief using a black lotus and a mox in response to a Preordain :negative:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

suicidesteve posted:

Haha, idunno man. Almost literally all I've played has been UR Delver, which I'm currently 18/2 against. I've played this WUR Delver guy a few times, including one game where he Cruised FIVE TIMES (I still won because Norin.) Other than that, I played Scapeshift once and barely lost (I would have won on time but I conceded with his lethal Valakut triggers on the stack because MTGO had crashed on him halfway through our match) Zoo a few times, which I've never even come close to losing a game to, including one that splashed blue for treasure cruise because that's the world we live in, and GR Tron once which is borderline unwinnable. The only other deck I've ever played was this weird GR meta deck with a bunch of main Pyroclasms, Volcanic Fallouts, Anger of the Gods, etc. I crushed him.

I like the deck because sometime you just run out a turn 2 4/4 Champion of the Parish followed by a turn 3 4/4+ Ajani's Pridemate, and the life gain is completely irrelevant. Torpor Orb is the bain of the deck, fortunately nobody seems to be playing it these days.

Anyway, I was thinking we should set up something so anyone going to Jersey can meet up. I'll have my cube and obviously some legacy decks. Would a Facebook group work?

I'd be down. I'm judging Friday/Saturday but I can hang out in the mornings and on Sunday.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Boxman posted:

I hate most Smug Blue Mage text but I love Jace's FoF:

I thought it was kind of funny how in this Jace is literally choosing between two piles.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

odiv posted:

He's just saying he wishes the dates were in chronological order while the narrative was not.

It would work just fine with day 30 first, though it might need to be reworded a bit.

If you swap the date numbers it becomes a joke about how his time reversal didn't happen at all.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

vOv posted:

I thought it was kind of funny how in this Jace is literally choosing between two piles.

Basically he's offering his opponent a choice and then is all "You're a loving idiot." :smugwizard:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Chorocojo posted:

Goblins became more ape-like, Elves became monstrous tree-duders. White clerics became light beings, black clerics became horned fat sausage people, Beasts became covered in bone spurs and birds continued to be birds.

Onslaught block was god-awful story and setting-wise.

But that sounds amazing??

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Onslaught block seems like it was really fun to draft because of all the archetypes and synergies, but it perhaps could have been a complete nightmare. Can anyone report?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mango sentinel posted:

Onslaught block seems like it was really fun to draft because of all the archetypes and synergies, but it perhaps could have been a complete nightmare. Can anyone report?
Uhh there's a pair trio of unbeatable if not removed cards as commons, massive hard to remove bombs at rare and shock is a first pick.

OLS was pretty okay, but OOO is a nightmare.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Uhh there's a pair trio of unbeatable if not removed cards as commons, massive hard to remove bombs at rare and shock is a first pick.

OLS was pretty okay, but OOO is a nightmare.

Adding to this: the board states in Onslaught block drafts are nightmarishly complex, because there are tons of creatures with activated abilities that can affect combat math which scale dynamically based on your amount of a creature tribe, so you have to count up your dudes, opponent's dudes, any facedown morphs, any instant-speed removal which could adjust the numbers before an ability resolves, and all of the permutations of the above. This is most pronounced with Clerics but really is an issue with all tribes.

Also Legions had Timberwatch Elf at common, which would be absolutely unthinkable today.

EDIT:
"So I have a Skirk Prospector, a Goblin Sky Raider, an Embermage Goblin, a Goblin Sledder, a Goblin Taskmaster and a face-down morph I know is Skirk Commando. My opponent has a Shieldmage Elder, a Battlefield Medic, two face-down morphs I don't know and three open white mana. What is the safe attack here?"

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 12, 2014

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Symphonie posted:

If you swap the date numbers it becomes a joke about how his time reversal didn't happen at all.
Yeah, and I was giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming he just meant swapping the entries completely. Otherwise, yeah, it doesn't work.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Adding to this: the board states in Onslaught block drafts are nightmarishly complex, because there are tons of creatures with activated abilities that can affect combat math which scale dynamically based on your amount of a creature tribe, so you have to count up your dudes, opponent's dudes, any facedown morphs, any instant-speed removal which could adjust the numbers before an ability resolves, and all of the permutations of the above. This is most pronounced with Clerics but really is an issue with all tribes.

Also Legions had Timberwatch Elf at common, which would be absolutely unthinkable today.
I was trying to figure out which 3 common cards Spiderdrake was referencing and I guessed Nantuko Shade, Timberwatch Elf, and Battlefield Medic, but I'm not certain.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

EDIT:
"So I have a Skirk Prospector, a Goblin Sky Raider, an Embermage Goblin, a Goblin Sledder, a Goblin Taskmaster and a face-down morph I know is Skirk Commando. My opponent has a Shieldmage Elder, a Battlefield Medic, two face-down morphs I don't know and three open white mana. What is the safe attack here?"
I like this kind of gamestate.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
On top of all the mentioned problems with Onslaught Block, Amplify went from a neat mechanic to absolutely broken on some cards during the Grand Creature Type update. The big winner? Daru Stinger, which now can get counters off of Human creatures. Which are now a huge chunk of the block. Good luck attacking into that!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I have a ton of OLS packs from when it was last a flashback draft on MTGO. I managed to open zero fetchlands, but it was real fun knowing what cards were good and building a cohesive deck.

I really wish they'd do flashback drafts more often.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mango sentinel posted:

I was trying to figure out which 3 common cards Spiderdrake was referencing and I guessed Nantuko Shade, Timberwatch Elf, and Battlefield Medic, but I'm not certain.

Shade is and was a rare, and Sparksmith has to be one of them.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Nantuko Shade wasn't even printed in that block...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Nantuko Shade wasn't even printed in that block...

He meant Nantuko Husk.

And yeah Sparksmith was beyond unbeatable if you didn't have the removal spell within two turns, and it's just as good in Pauper against creature decks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

He meant Nantuko Husk.

And yeah Sparksmith was beyond unbeatable if you didn't have the removal spell within two turns, and it's just as good in Pauper against creature decks.
Yeah I meant Husk which was printed in Onslaught as a common. I started playing again in Mirrodin where everyone was comparing Ravager to as a more broken Husk which was allegedly already bonkers. Sparksmith would have been my next guess.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 12, 2014

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah I meant Husk which was printed in Onslaught as a common. I started playing again in Mirrodin where everyone was comparing Ravage to as a more broken Husk which was allegedly already bonkers. Sparksmith would have been my next guess.

Husk is way less good with the damage stack changes

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
If I was going to do a few rounds of sealed of each vaugely-modern block to get a feel for it, where should I start? Ice Age (with or without Coldsnap), Masques, and Mirodin seem like the logical starting points (First block, first block after the flustercuff that is Urza's, and first in the modern card frame)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

odiv posted:

Right. But the entries should stay the same, no need for rewording imo. Day 30 already happened before 31st, so the time reversal's already been going on.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Keiya posted:

If I was going to do a few rounds of sealed of each vaugely-modern block to get a feel for it, where should I start? Ice Age (with or without Coldsnap), Masques, and Mirodin seem like the logical starting points (First block, first block after the flustercuff that is Urza's, and first in the modern card frame)

Masques is a really bad block and you should not play it at all. The overreaction to Urza's block made for a pretty underwhelming set.

I'd start with Mirage and Rath cycles are where you first start seeing "block design" as we imagine it but I would personally choose Invasion block myself because its a lot of fun and probably easier to get packs.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Ice Age sealed is really bad too. Cumulative upkeep is a boring mechanic. Masques is bad, but there are some great cards in the block at least.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mango sentinel posted:

Odyssey did it better. Odyssey requires you count cards in hand/yard both for threshold and flashback, and then look at the board state to see if they can flash out to block with the wererat then pitch a card to pump him back up.

The three miserable commons are Sparksmith, Timberwatch and Wellwisher. Wellwisher wasn't as busted as the other two, but what is worse - Losing to a constructed playable goblin, or trying to do 200 points of damage in a tempo based format?

Medic is pretty busted good too though, but he is second fiddle to that 2/2 aven with prevent 2.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

ugh I had forgotten Wellwisher (I was assuming Medic as well). What an absolutely miserable card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

The vintage super league stream just died right as LSV cast a Notion Thief using a black lotus and a mox in response to a Preordain :negative:

But more importantly, Kai Budde is the new Wraptor!

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

ugh I had forgotten Wellwisher (I was assuming Medic as well). What an absolutely miserable card.

I played Elves when Onslaught was in standard.

That was me. Tribal Forcemage, Wellwisher, and company.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So it will cost me about 30 bucks to build Norin Soul Sisters... I'm very very tempted.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Play it Wb with zealous persecution and thoughtseize. Though though seize and it's ilk have taken a real dive in quality with the printing of dig & cruise...

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

mango sentinel posted:

So what is the safe attack?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So it will cost me about 30 bucks to build Norin Soul Sisters... I'm very very tempted.

I'm kind of tempted now that you said that.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010

Keiya posted:

Ice age was not designed with limited in mind and is terrible for it. Masques is also pretty miserable. I'd start with Mirage (the first block that was designed for limited), Invasion (first multicolor block), and Mirrodin is probably fine for the third.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Download Shandalar/Manalink and do a sealed with ABU or Revised. Start with the source, mate.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Count Bleck posted:

I'm kind of tempted now that you said that.

Well the deck costs 400 on TCGPlayer but all I need is a few cards to make it since I have a martyr proc deck. I just need the norins and a cavern of souls, maybe 2 more champions.

This is the build I'm looking at

Creature (25)
4x Ajani's Pridemate
2x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4x Champion of the Parish
3x Norin the Wary
1x Purphoros, God of the Forge
3x Ranger of Eos
4x Soul Warden
4x Soul's Attendant

Artifact (2)
2x Genesis Chamber

Land (20)
4x Cavern of Souls
4x Clifftop Retreat
3x Mountain
5x Plains
4x Sacred Foundry

Instant (10)
4x Lightning Bolt
2x Lightning Helix
4x Path to Exile

Sorcery (1)
1x Proclamation of Rebirth

Planeswalker (2)
2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sideboard (15)
2x Avalanche Riders
2x Blood Moon
3x Kataki, War's Wage
2x Pithing Needle
2x Rest in Peace
2x Revoke Existence
2x Stony Silence

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hellsau posted:

Download Shandalar/Manalink and do a sealed with ABU or Revised. Start with the source, mate.

Agreed. It's not a fun format, but it's an incredible look at what Magic once was.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So I made a Facebook group for Jersey. This link might work?

I'm not sure if people can actually join. If not let me know and I'll try to figure out how this internet thing works.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Hellsau posted:

I've actually done ABU Sealed before. Virtual, of course, I'm not made of money. I've also played the poo poo out of Shandalar, that environment is so busted in so many ways, but it's fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

suicidesteve posted:

But more importantly, Kai Budde is the new Wraptor!

Wowesome!

Hellsau posted:

I really wish they'd do flashback drafts more often.

If only for the history lessons from lsv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Keiya posted:

Invasion is probably the start of modern block design. It's where they start picking and choosing mechanics because they work together (split and kicker work with the multicolor theme by rewarding multiple colors but not being useless with only one), and it's where they start making the sets within the block distinct (Apocalypse switching from ally colors to enemies) while still feeling connected.

If you're considering starting from Masques, start from Invasion instead. Outside of a knee-jerk "let's make the power level incredibly low", Masques doesn't really have time to react to Urza block. It's also really terrible.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 12, 2014

• Locked thread