Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

They're basically the same thing, but HDMI will support Dolby TrueHD and the big one, DTS-HD Master Audio, which is the highest quality sound you can get. Whether or not you'll notice is another topic for discussion, but if you can do HDMI, just do it.

Also, you can use ARC to send TV audio back to your receiver over HDMI so you'll hear menus and smart TV apps and poo poo through your speakers.

Ah ok thanks, that makes it much easier.

Now I just need to figure out how to use my receiver AND have the TV speaker enabled at the same time... I only have two tower speakers, and I want to use the TV's speaker as the 'center' channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Are there any tv brands that don't have arc? I assume all the major brands have it, but I don't notice it in the specs

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Drunk Badger posted:

Are there any tv brands that don't have arc? I assume all the major brands have it, but I don't notice it in the specs

TV brands, no, tv models. very likely.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

those guys on the previous page posted:

6500K looks kinda orange-ish? :confused:

Of course you're confused, because it shouldn't be orange-ish.

White-point temperatures in color processing are a reference to black-body radiation, as in the band of light an object emits by simple virtue of being a certain temperature (in Kelvins). That's why infrared cameras see people and animals better than stuff like trees, and why stars like the Sun glow (and also incandescent lights). That's also why things get red-hot, then white-hot (actually mostly green but there's still enough red and blue to dilute it to white-ish), then blue-hot. (UV temperatures are still described as blue-hot, because they emit an absurd amount of light in almost the entire spectrum, and you still get tons of blue light.)

White like you see in daylight is 5000K, because the Sun's surface is 5000K and that's the kind of light you get in daylight. If anything, 6500K should be aggressively blue. The display looks a little orange when it's calibrated because you're used to looking at something bluer than that - in fact, bluer than outside. Super-orange if you're using incandescent lights, because those are mostly 2700-3500K, depending on the filament and inert gas in use.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 11, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Daylight is 6,500K D65.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I'm looking to upgrade my TV to something around 39"-42", but nothing really popped out at me on that Black Friday list minus the Target Vizio. I'd like to stay away from Samsung if I could, I've had nothing but issues with their items and their service didn't really do it for me either.

When it says full array, is that going to be an issue with color? I remember hearing something about certain types of full arrays have an issue with black colors.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
My boss has tasked me with buying a TV for a small-ish conference room we have. About 90% of the time it's going to be connected to a laptop and showing PowerPoint presentations, but he wants something that looks great and will "wow" people. I know nobody on earth has ever been wowed by a slide show, but I was hoping I could get some advice or recommendations. Here are the requirements/needs:

Price: $4000 is the hard limit, but obviously I'd prefer something cheaper.

Size: Somewhere between 60 and 80 inches. My boss said 80 but I'm concerned that's too large for the size of the room. It's 12.5 feet wide and 15 feet long, with a conference table in the middle. With a full room, the closest person will be 4.5 feet away from the TV and the farthest about 12 feet. I know that's pretty close for something like watching a movie, but would 80 inches that close be tolerable for the mostly static imagery that is a slide show?

Resolution: At least 1080p. My boss indicated that would be enough, but knowing him, he's going to walk into someone else's meeting room in a few months, see a 4K TV, and want whatever I buy now replaced with that. So a 4K option would be nice if a model like that makes it under budget, but it's something I'm willing to forego.

Technology: From the research I've done reading this thread and elsewhere, I don't think this will have a huge impact on its intended use, so I'm open to any. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though. The room has curtains that can make it fairly dark.

Other features: Something with Smart features would be nice, especially Skype. A built-in camera for it would be a huge plus as well. The aesthetic quality of the TV itself is also going to be a big factor for him. LAN is preferred over wifi.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
My wife and I have committed to scaling up our main TV in the living room. We currently have a 47" Samsung LCD that I have zero complaints about other than it not looking like the crystal clear living pictures of today but those weren't available for any reasonable price when we bought our TV like 7 years ago.

What prompted this is that we would like to go from our TV being kind of cadi-cornered on a stand in our living room to going on the wall above our fireplace mantle. The problem is putting a 47" on a wall that is two stories high in a cathedral style open living room (like our second story over looks the living room on the opposite wall if that makes sense) is that a 47" is going to look super small.

We'd like to go up to a 55" or 60" to kind of fill that space out. Right now we just have a giant ikea picture on the wall.

I really don't want to spend more than $1000. I'm not looking for super high end but I do play games via console and my media PC and we watch movies of course so I guess motion blur is my only real concern on cheaper models.

Is motion blur much of an issue these days?

We use a media PC on our tv currently so "smart" features aren't high on our list of things we want.

We've really liked Samsung products over the years and I think LED is where we want to go. Any reason not to go with LED? Are there better TV's for the money than what Samsung offers?

I was looking at something like this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60-class-60-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-hdtv/6594118.p?id=1219226753264&skuId=6594118

But it kind of caps out my budget.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Please do not put a tv over the fireplace.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
That's where my TV is mounted. Granted it's an enclosed gas fireplace.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Yeah I should clarify it's above a zero clearance insert fireplace...so not what you would be thinking...I think. I do need to check the temp above it when a fire is going...but the mantle doesn't even get hot.

Also, another thing I was curious about, is it's about 12 feet from my couch to the wall...not counting the angle. Is that enough? I'm slightly worried that looking up at it might be a bit of a strain...it doesn't seem like it though.

It would be going up in place of this picture:

Also how are Panasonics? They have a nice price point and generally good reviews?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/panason...25005&cp=1&lp=1

Shachi fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 11, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The reason not to go above fireplaces is its simply so freaking high up. Tv's should be eye level.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

The reason not to go above fireplaces is its simply so freaking high up. Tv's should be eye level.

Yeah that's my concern I guess. There's really no where to put a TV at eye level in my living room though other than having it tucked into the corner and having it there really kind of takes it away from being a center point. They design houses now with cut outs above the fireplace just to put the TV's above them...I can't see it being that big of an issue.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I put my 64" plasma over a fireplace just lime yours and it turned out great. Just set it on a 15 degree tilt down and it is plenty comfy from a sofa 14+ feet away sitting or laying down. I will post a pic if I find one.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Don Lapre posted:

Agreed, I hated having my TV high up. It baffles me how people see that as a natural place to put it.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Shachi posted:

Also how are Panasonics? They have a nice price point and generally good reviews?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/panason...25005&cp=1&lp=1

I'm curious about this as well. They seem to get generally good reviews, but the price points on Panasonics all seem lower than similar TVs by LG, Samsung, and Vizio. Are they more of a "bargain unit," or just priced more competitively for some reason?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Reverse Centaur posted:

Agreed, I hated having my TV high up. It baffles me how people see that as a natural place to put it.

Mines above the fireplace and the mount has the TV tilted about 15 degrees or so, so it's not horrible. I wouldn't mind having it at eye level, but with how my living room is laid out and the lack of space, above the fireplace is really the best place for it

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

So thats how you can have a 50" panasonic tv for $199

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That is incredible.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus that's ridiculous. That would have to be free before I'd even consider it.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Don Lapre posted:

So thats how you can have a 50" panasonic tv for $199

I can't watch regular TV because of the commercials--that is literally my nightmare scenario.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

big mean giraffe posted:

Jesus that's ridiculous. That would have to be free before I'd even consider it.

They've had these banner ads since their 2012 TVs. C.Net has a guide on how to turn them off: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-off-banner-ads-on-your-2013-panasonic-tv/ (complete with second guide for the 2012 TVs since Panasonic changed how you turn the banner ads off between the two years)

I wonder if they'll leave that option in on the $200 50-inch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah my friend just said he has ads on his VT60. He uses a receiver so the TV volume is irrelevant but there's one when he starts up. Insane.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

havenwaters posted:

They've had these banner ads since their 2012 TVs. C.Net has a guide on how to turn them off: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-off-banner-ads-on-your-2013-panasonic-tv/ (complete with second guide for the 2012 TVs since Panasonic changed how you turn the banner ads off between the two years)

I wonder if they'll leave that option in on the $200 50-inch.

That's awful and hilarious that they leave the ads on by default. Is this just a Panasonic thing or are other manufacturers pulling this poo poo, too? I ask because I just pulled the trigger on a Vizio P70 and this 'feature' would equal an instant return.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mandals posted:

That's awful and hilarious that they leave the ads on by default. Is this just a Panasonic thing or are other manufacturers pulling this poo poo, too? I ask because I just pulled the trigger on a Vizio P70 and this 'feature' would equal an instant return.

Just Panasonic. Well my parent's Samsung F7100 from 2013 kept throwing "check out this fantasy thing" for this sports team that was on TV til I dug my way into the smart tv stuff to turn off the yahoo add-in that was installed with the TV. My Samsung F6300 from 2013 keeps bugging me about the new updated Smart Hub and I can't get it to shut up about it now that I updated the firmware. Really though none of it is as bad as a banner ad on the volume bar.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea Samsung will try to give you relevant info to what you are watching like other NFL scores when you are watching NFL.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Can't you just turn all the smart stuff you don't want on, off? I was thinking when I buy my parents a new TV I'd get them one of the "smart" ones because the Netflix thing would be good for them, but stuff like this:

havenwaters posted:

Just Panasonic. Well my parent's Samsung F7100 from 2013 kept throwing "check out this fantasy thing" for this sports team that was on TV til I dug my way into the smart tv stuff to turn off the yahoo add-in that was installed with the TV. My Samsung F6300 from 2013 keeps bugging me about the new updated Smart Hub and I can't get it to shut up about it now that I updated the firmware. Really though none of it is as bad as a banner ad on the volume bar.

would send my Dad into fits. Don't these TVs have a "luddite" mode or something that just gives you a couple of the features you want, and leaves out the rest?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HappyHelmet posted:

Can't you just turn all the smart stuff you don't want on, off? I was thinking when I buy my parents a new TV I'd get them one of the "smart" ones because the Netflix thing would be good for them, but stuff like this:

would send my Dad into fits. Don't these TVs have a "luddite" mode or something that just gives you a couple of the features you want, and leaves out the rest?

Yes you can turn it all off and have a dumb tv

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've had three smart TVs from Sharp, Sony and Samsung and none have forced anything on me. But of course in Canada most of the services don't work anyway, and you have to get digital cable or something similar.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I really hope CES brings us less curved sets this year. It's definitely an interesting look, but I don't really think it's any better and I'm hoping customers didn't buy into the feature.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

60H7150 dropped to $1300 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60H...ASIN=B00ID2HGK4

This is basically a lot of stores doorbuster BF deal.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I really hope CES brings us less curved sets this year. It's definitely an interesting look, but I don't really think it's any better and I'm hoping customers didn't buy into the feature.

LG has said they have flat OLED's in the pipeline

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I dunno, I'd be fine with ads in the OSD for substantial up front savings.

It's not like the OSD is ever displayed for more than a few seconds anyway.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
At an 8' viewing distance, what are your opinions on 60" vs 65"? I'm trying to decide between two for the h7150 black friday deals. The 65" will only be $200 more and I'm really tempted...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

No one ever wished they had a smaller tv

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

the nicker posted:

At an 8' viewing distance, what are your opinions on 60" vs 65"? I'm trying to decide between two for the h7150 black friday deals. The 65" will only be $200 more and I'm really tempted...

I just made the jump from 60 to 64 inch at the same distance and would do it again for $200.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I dunno, I'd be fine with ads in the OSD for substantial up front savings.

It's not like the OSD is ever displayed for more than a few seconds anyway.

I think it sets a dumb precedent, but I'm forced to admit that I would probably be fine with this as well.

I also didn't really mind the ads on my Kindle either, now that I think about it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I think it sets a dumb precedent, but I'm forced to admit that I would probably be fine with this as well.

I also didn't really mind the ads on my Kindle either, now that I think about it.

The kindle ads are often valuable. They have done poo poo like, 20% off a laptop, 3 free audible books.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So, new receiver is hooked up, apple tv direct into it, and then the tv into 'monitor'

I tried HDMI1 on the tv, which is labelled as ARC, it looked ok and the sound worked, however it was constantly cycling through preset video modes (and 3d modes) every 10-30 seconds.

Changed it out for HDMI2 and now it works fine with no cycling, but now how do I get the TV to send its audio to the receiver?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

So, new receiver is hooked up, apple tv direct into it, and then the tv into 'monitor'

I tried HDMI1 on the tv, which is labelled as ARC, it looked ok and the sound worked, however it was constantly cycling through preset video modes (and 3d modes) every 10-30 seconds.

Changed it out for HDMI2 and now it works fine with no cycling, but now how do I get the TV to send its audio to the receiver?

If you dont mind 2 cables just run an optical or coax cable from the digital audio out of your tv to the in of your receiver. Its the same quality sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

If you dont mind 2 cables just run an optical or coax cable from the digital audio out of your tv to the in of your receiver. Its the same quality sound.

That's probably what I'm going to do, was just wondering why it was being such a pain in the arse.

Any idea on the ARC switched HDMI port acting weird?