Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I vaguely remember Gehry chat from a prior iteration of this thread.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/frank-gehry-paper-bag-building-at-university-of-technology-set-to-seduce-students-20141111-11kbtt.html
Christ it's ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
I love how conservatives have such an obsession with being mature and having "mature discussions" yet all think the same things without questioning anything at all like a literal child.

Having no feelings at all or the ability to feel joy must take its toll

i got banned fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 12, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So what is Eritrian even? and when is the next goonmeet in an actual fact?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

I work just up the road and I actually don't mind it; it looks better in person I think.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

So what is Eritrian even? and when is the next goonmeet in an actual fact?

Wikipedia posted:

Eritrea, officially the State of Eritrea, is a country in the Horn of Africa. With its capital at Asmara, it is bordered by Sudan to the west, Ethiopia in the south, and Djibouti in the southeast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eritrean_cuisine

Slow simmered spiced stew of meats, chickpeas and flatbreads.
'African' food.

And the Goonmeet is the 22nd of Nov. The Saturday after G20 weekend.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Asylum Seeker health care is comparable to that of indigenous Australians

- Australian Government response to the UN

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Quasimango posted:

This is my ignorant/ cliched idea of each of the state Green parties:

NSW Greens: ex-communists
Victoria Greens: latte sipping/craft beer swilling hipsters
Queensland Greens: anti-GMO, anti vax, anti fluoride hippies
Tasmania Greens: tree-huggers
WA Greens: Scott Ludlam personality cult
SA Greens: um...something Sarah Hanson-Young
NT Greens: lol

ACT?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Some good news

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-12/immigration-department-loses-appeal-over-afghans-refugee-status/5885148

quote:

The Federal Government has lost a High Court appeal over the refugee status of an Afghan truck driver who claimed he could not return to his country for fear of persecution.

The Hazara man, who was denied a protection visa by the Immigration Department, had worked for foreign agencies in Kabul transporting construction materials to and from the city.

He fled Kabul in 2011, when another truck driver showed him a letter from the Taliban which named him and urged others to do their "Islamic duty" and get rid of him.

The Department's decision to deny him a protection visa was affirmed by the Refugee Review Tribunal, which ruled the man could avoid persecution by changing jobs.

However, the High Court found the tribunal had failed to consider whether it was reasonable to expect the man to remain in Kabul, and not drive trucks away from the city.

The "get another job" line is completely laughable, how do these people sleep at night?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Amethyst posted:

Some good news

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-12/immigration-department-loses-appeal-over-afghans-refugee-status/5885148

The "get another job" line is completely laughable, how do these people sleep at night?

I imagine that their top of the line mattresses and silk sheets paid for using the money they make as a result of getting elected on a platform of xenophobia allows them to sleep pretty drat well.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Amethyst posted:

Some good news

Soundly, secure in the knowledge that they are securing the existence of their people and a future for white children in Australia.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I like how "good news" now means "not sending someone back overseas to literally be murdered"

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Not for lack of trying.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

Asylum Seeker health care is comparable to that of indigenous Australians

- Australian Government response to the UN

gently caress this country

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Bifauxnen posted:

I was about to gloat for sticking more vegetarian at that meet, but for all I know they had rat sushi too.

If you guys are up for something totally different, there's this awesome Eritrian restaurant I just found (Mu'ooz) almost right next to Three Monkeys. They've got share platters and stuff, and the business was founded by refugees so it would be thematically appropriate for Auspol. It'd be more on the pricey side compared to Sukachi, though.

It is really good, I have been there with Shadeoses, my brother, and other relatives. It's the best. And the proximity to the Three Monkeys (and the rest of West End) is great. After my favourite Turkish restaurant got shut down and turned into a lovely wine bar (!!!) it is probably among my three favourite restaurants in West End.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
So I wrote for the Conversation yesterday about the fact that the GP co-payment is a bad idea because it discourages people from using the most cost-efficient part of our health care system.

https://theconversation.com/medicare-spending-on-general-practice-is-value-for-money-33948

So today in the Western Australian we got

A spokesman for Health Minister Peter Dutton rejected the report's conclusion.

"Over the past decade, the cost of the MBS has gone up 130 per cent and could double again in the next decade," he said. "Suggestions that is sustainable are denying the facts."

Not that anywhere in our report did we assert that Medicare was sustainable or not. They just trotted out the same response they have been giving to all criticisms of the scheme.

Who wants to place a bet whether my project gets its funding from the Department of Health next year?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/12/pope-francis-letter-tony-abbott-g20-examples-of-generosity-to-refugees

quote:

“I take this opportunity to ask the G20 member states to be examples of generosity and solidarity in meeting the many needs of the victims of these conflicts, and especially of refugees,”

What will win?

His undying love for his deity and its representative on earth?

Or his undying love for imprisoning and torturing foreigners?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Freudian Slip posted:

So I wrote for the Conversation yesterday about the fact that the GP co-payment is a bad idea because it discourages people from using the most cost-efficient part of our health care system.

https://theconversation.com/medicare-spending-on-general-practice-is-value-for-money-33948

"Over the past decade, the cost of the MBS has gone up 130 per cent and could double again in the next decade," he said. "Suggestions that is sustainable are denying the facts."

Not that anywhere in our report did we assert that Medicare was sustainable or not. They just trotted out the same response they have been giving to all criticisms of the scheme.

Who wants to place a bet whether my project gets its funding from the Department of Health next year?

You're doing god's work mate.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Freudian Slip posted:

I wouldn't take that personally. Someone's just dragged out the most applicable talking point and emailed it to the West.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/12/pope-francis-letter-tony-abbott-g20-examples-of-generosity-to-refugees

What will win?

His undying love for his deity and its representative on earth?

Or his undying love for imprisoning and torturing foreigners?

Jesus knew there was a place for everyone and the place for the pope isn't necessarily sticking his nose into Australian domestic policy

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Tony "I quit seminary literally because I was told to help the needy" Abbott

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Anthony "if they're too sick to get their own meds and food why are they here what do I look like to you a male nurse scoff.flv" Abbott

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Tony "I quit seminary literally because I was told to help the needy" Abbott

Time to frockfront the Pope.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The right hon member for "I think the church should just shut up and do what I say two years into my training"

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

story: http://m.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/australian-government-tells-un-violence-against-woman-isnt-torture-20141111-11kckm.html

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Nahh, you can't really call the Liberals Nazis... Oh wait, hang on, scratch that.

A Liberal Party activist working on the party's campaign in key marginal seats is a former neo-Nazi who claimed in 2010 that the Port Arthur massacre was a Jewish conspiracy

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Did I just see a group of drones fly over Brisbane? Those were some drone-looking planes that just flew by.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Anidav posted:

Did I just see a group of drones fly over Brisbane? Those were some drone-looking planes that just flew by.

What sort of drones? It's International GIS Day in Brisbane next Wednesday, and they could be testing for that, drones are a pretty great way to get aerial photos in high-res on the cheap.

It's not the kind of thing anyone that wasn't a huge GIS nerd would give a poo poo about, so feel free to ask me how I know about it :v:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:stare:

quote:

"My close associates in the Liberal Party know of that history," he said, while also stating that others in the Liberals "wouldn't be aware of it to a high degree."

Mr Harrison has been a leading member of the Young Liberals organisation in Geelong.

"I completely distance myself from my past ideology. I now realise how insane it was. I now believe in racial equality and gay marriage," he said.

"I used to be a racist neo-nazi when I was with the Liberals. Now that I'm for gay marriage and not a racist, I'm with the Liberals!" :psyduck:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Violence against women, Australia says yes.

Memento posted:

What sort of drones? It's International GIS Day in Brisbane next Wednesday, and they could be testing for that, drones are a pretty great way to get aerial photos in high-res on the cheap.

It's not the kind of thing anyone that wasn't a huge GIS nerd would give a poo poo about, so feel free to ask me how I know about it :v:

...International Google Image Search day?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Violence against women, Australia says yes.

[03:12:37] <drunkill> Violence against women, Australia says yes?
[03:13:12] <CrazyTolradi> m8 look headlocks aren't a bad thing ok
[03:13:34] <crowbutts> I'm stealing that for the thread drunkill

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Can't even pretend they're interested and then do nothing?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It looked like a fat plane with propellers facing upwards on each wing and no windows on it whatsoever. If it is a type of drone, it's hard to find on google because all that comes up is OBAMA crap.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

The Privacy Commissioner has found the Department of Immigration guilty of having breached the privacy of 9,250 asylum seekers in an online bungle.

The department was also found to have unlawfully disclosed personal information.

In February, the department mistakenly published a document online which contained the personal details of the asylum seekers, embedded into a document.

The information remained online for eight-and-a-half days until it was discovered and subsequently removed.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Awesome - can any charges come from this?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

try to come up with a peaceful alternative which ends up pleasing nobody

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

try to come up with a peaceful alternative which ends up pleasing nobody

Public service experience rubbing off.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Anidav posted:

It looked like a fat plane with propellers facing upwards on each wing and no windows on it whatsoever. If it is a type of drone, it's hard to find on google because all that comes up is OBAMA crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Boeing_V-22_Osprey

The Americans are patrolling them up and down the Brisbane River. Incessantly. There are also motorcycle cops patrolling outside my work in numbers I've never seen. gently caress this Gestapo BS. I'm literally afraid to catch public transport. NOT due to the possibility of terrorist activity but because of the probability of thugs with a scrap of authority getting over-excited.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SadisTech posted:

The Americans are patrolling them up and down the Brisbane River. Incessantly. There are also motorcycle cops patrolling outside my work in numbers I've never seen. gently caress this Gestapo BS. I'm literally afraid to catch public transport. NOT due to the possibility of terrorist activity but because of the probability of thugs with a scrap of authority getting over-excited.

Be calm citizen, we only have your "best interests" in mind. :cop:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

SadisTech posted:

We've had clients at volunteering very concerned about all the police everywhere (as almost everyone goes through the CBD to come in, and many go on public transport). They're loving everywhere and they're really not acting the best even now, especially to anyone looking suspicious or odd, which includes people with various intellectual and neurological disabilities. It's really understandable that a lot of clients are deciding it's easier to stay at home this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

...International Google Image Search day?

Geographical Information Systems, and I guess it turns out that it's not for that, it's for some idiocy or other that's going on there this weekend. gently caress I'm glad that bullshit didn't make it to Melbourne like some were talking about last year.

edit:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:stare:
"I used to be a racist neo-nazi when I was with the Liberals. Now that I'm for gay marriage and not a racist, I'm with the Liberals!" :psyduck:

"Yeah they knew about it, but they were cool with the fact that I was a literal Nazi. Vote Liberal!"

Memento fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 12, 2014

• Locked thread