Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Sockmuppet posted:

This was me. I use it as an example every time I talk to someone (thankfully this occurs exclusively online) who is sceptical about vaccines.
I had my booster shot as soon as I could, so thankfully I'll be covered when we decide to go for number two.

When my son was about two months old, I needed to get something fixed on my car, so he and I were at the dealer's (it was still under warranty) for a prolonged period of time. An older lady cornered me and begged me not to vaccinate my son, because it was sanitation that had eradicated diseases, not vaccines, which were all a scam, and besides her son developed brain damage in his twenties from his childhood vaccines. (Also, she had just recently cured her terminal cancer with herbs; had I tried seeing a naturopath?)

I made her very sad by cheerfully declaring that I was planning to get him every vaccine his pediatrician recommended at exactly the time his pediatrician recommended it. :j:

Eponymous Bosch posted:

Just to freak everyone out more- microwaving deli meat probably won't kill Listeria unless you do it for an extended period of time and move it around a bunch. Basically it won't kill it.

Oh, good. Microwaved deli ham is gross, so now I feel even less guilty about not microwaving my lunches, if it's unlikely to work anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
The good news is that if you get infected with toxoplasmosis before you're pregnant, the fetus is protected. I'm half concidering licking cat butts until I get it, so that I don't have to worry about rare steaks and salads the next time I'm growing a baby.

(But then I have to worry about risk-taking, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Parasites are awesome!)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Eponymous Bosch posted:

Just to freak everyone out more- microwaving deli meat probably won't kill Listeria unless you do it for an extended period of time and move it around a bunch. Basically it won't kill it.

So much for hot olive loaf!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Do not get a rubella shot while pregnant though. That's a big do not do!

Soxorss
Jan 17, 2014
Hey all. Question:

Good friends of mine are currently ~3 months pregnant after having a miscarriage.

I have heard from a friend of theirs that they took a test this morning and the results let the doctors to believe the baby may be disabled - they need to wait to the end of the week to take another test.

Apparently the test came back with a high chance for mental disability.

I know nothing about the different kinds of tests, margin for errors/false positives, etc.

Can you guys give me a run through on what test this is, etc.?

This is personal fact-finding only and won't be talking with anyone about these findings. It's my own curiosity here. Kind of an unfortunate situation for them and understand it's a sensitive issue.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I had blood tests for Chromosomal problems and also Spinal problems. Sometimes they do the tests and then do further examinations- special ultrasounds and the like to see if they can do anything.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Could have been a first trimester screen-they check b-HCG and PAPP-A for Down syndrome.

Quad screen is early second trimester, evaluates for Down syndrome, spina bifida, and some other chromosomal abnormalities.

Other possibility is a fetal dka test like Harmony or MaterniT21 that looks for chromosomal abnormalities.

All of these would be followed with ultrasounds, counseling. If the diagnosis is unclear they might recommend amniocentesis-drawing up amniotic fluid through a needle and testing it.

Soxorss
Jan 17, 2014

El_Elegante posted:

Could have been a first trimester screen-they check b-HCG and PAPP-A for Down syndrome.

Quad screen is early second trimester, evaluates for Down syndrome, spina bifida, and some other chromosomal abnormalities.

Other possibility is a fetal dka test like Harmony or MaterniT21 that looks for chromosomal abnormalities.

All of these would be followed with ultrasounds, counseling. If the diagnosis is unclear they might recommend amniocentesis-drawing up amniotic fluid through a needle and testing it.

I believe they're moving towards recommending an amniotic fluid test - however she is a "high risk" pregnancy due to the earlier miscarriage so the doctors are hesitant to move forward.

Is there any good news on the subject?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
The good news is that sometimes preliminary tests have been proven to not always be correct.

Soxorss
Jan 17, 2014

Funhilde posted:

The good news is that sometimes preliminary tests have been proven to not always be correct.

I had thought as much. I'm pretty uninformed on the subject and was looking for more information. I appreciate it!

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
It matters what they found.

Down Syndrome can be a pretty devastating diagnosis for parents-to-be, but children and adults with Down Syndrome can live wonderful and productive lives.

If they found Patau's Syndrome, Edaward's Syndrome, Fragile X, or something akin to those than the outlook is rather dim. Or if it's a morphological finding like anacephaly, myelomeningocele, etc. than that can also be devastating but has a larger range of possibilities can be better assessed with further testing. The good news would be if it's an errant finding. None of the above come with "good" parts. They have a difficult road ahead that is full of hard decisions and a lot of heartbreak. If you could tell me the exact test and what they found I could dig up the specificity and sensitivity (false positive info) and give you a better answer.

If you are tangentiality asking what to say to them about these results- be supportive and let them have space to vent their feelings and concerns when they feel ready. Try to be hopeful without brushing away their (very valid) fears.

Also, if you are pregnant do NOT google those things.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I had a quad screen in my pregnancy that showed I had a higher than average chance that the fetus had Down syndrome. I was then sent to a genetic counselor to evaluate options. They did an extensive ultrasound to check for hard and soft markers. I also got to choose between having an amniocentesis (99.9% accurate, but with a risk of miscarriage) or doing the MaterniT21 test (99.1% accurate, no risk of miscarriage since it's just a blood draw, not usually covered by insurance since it's a very new test). I went with the blood draw because gently caress a needle in my belly. The test looks for an assortment of genetic anomalies, including some that are incompatible with life. We got the all-clear within a couple weeks.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Yeah I did the MaterniT21 test. It was overall pretty re-assuring to do in any case. I'm not sure what the next step would have been if anything had shown up.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Funhilde posted:

Yeah I did the MaterniT21 test. It was overall pretty re-assuring to do in any case. I'm not sure what the next step would have been if anything had shown up.

I had the Panorama test 2 weeks ago, because I'm 36. Apparently doctors have to beat "You're old! There's going to be problems!" into your head. We had an hour long ultrasound before the blood test. We got the results back 3 days ago, and we are low risk for everything. Not only that, but at 14 weeks even, we got to find out we are having a boy. Such awesome news all around!

Nichole
Nov 5, 2009

Absolute Evil posted:

I had the Panorama test 2 weeks ago, because I'm 36. Apparently doctors have to beat "You're old! There's going to be problems!" into your head. We had an hour long ultrasound before the blood test. We got the results back 3 days ago, and we are low risk for everything. Not only that, but at 14 weeks even, we got to find out we are having a boy. Such awesome news all around!

I had the Panorama test as well and finding the gender out early was a nice perk.

I hate to have to ask this question because I find it really embarrassing. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and have a hemorrhoid. I'm going to ask my doctor about it at my next appointment but I've been doing some research on line on what you do about these things. How the gently caress do these things go away? Do they just shrink and go away or do they burst? I'm using the Tuck's pads and PreparationH but am not seeing a difference. I just want this gone, I am bothered by its very existence.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nichole posted:

I had the Panorama test as well and finding the gender out early was a nice perk.

I hate to have to ask this question because I find it really embarrassing. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and have a hemorrhoid. I'm going to ask my doctor about it at my next appointment but I've been doing some research on line on what you do about these things. How the gently caress do these things go away? Do they just shrink and go away or do they burst? I'm using the Tuck's pads and PreparationH but am not seeing a difference. I just want this gone, I am bothered by its very existence.

Ha. Uh.. At least you're already 37 weeks. My wife had some real angry ones starting like halfway through and they made her miserable until the birth. They were present afterwards but the pain was greatly reduced from the baby's head no longer applying pressure.

Tucks and prep h didn't really work for her but she says a bag of ice lodged up there was good. Also sits bath and dermaplast

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Nichole posted:

They basically go away. Sometimes you can help them out by increasing the fiber in your diet or that at least makes things a bit more pleasant.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

Been up for hours reading this thread. I missed a period (or two?) in October so I took a test today and it came up positive.

Naturally, I'm freaking out. My periods have always been irregular so I don't even know how many I missed, and we weren't actively trying (thanks diaphragm), and I've been mentally calculating how many "rules" I've broken : daily Adderall 20mg for near-debilitating ADHD, coffee, booze, no vitamins, deli meat, cheese, little sleep, one or two Imitrex for migraines, I got my hair colored, 90% of my meals are power bars...I could probabaly think of a bunch more. I work in PR and marketing so I've been living on fly working 50-60 hours a week and eating when I can. Oh and a couple of xanax when I had to take a flight.

I keep thinking about how I've probably already scrambled the kids brain and he or she is pretty much Whitney Houston/Bobby Brown's kid by now.

I don't even know where to start. Call an ob/gyn on Monday, I guess? Stop taking my meds? My husband keeps telling me not to worry but I do, and I fear that due to my psych issues I'm already a prime candidate for PPD.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If it makes you feel any better, my mother in law didn't know she was pregnant with my husband until she was like 3 months pregnant. She was 18 and a partier and was boozing it up and smoking pot (and did a little coke) and he turned out fine! She had a panic attack when she did find out she was pregnant because of her lifestyle and thinking she messed him up as well. The point being, don't freak out too much. Get an appointment with your GP to confirm the pregnancy and they will use a calendar to figure out how far you are along and what you should be doing. OB's won't see you until you are 8 weeks pregnant usually.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
Don't just stop taking your medication! Call whomever is your GP/Psych ASAP and tell them the results and ask for an appointment to discuss medication and pregnancy. If they need you to stop they can tell you how to taper if you need to or if you can switch to a more pregnancy friendly medication. It's going to be okay.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Call the doctor- be honest with them about your situation. They will be able to tell you how far along you are when you go in.

I had a friend that didn't know for 7 MONTHS! She was partying the whole time including doing ecstasy and maybe cocaine (not too much of either but still). The only reason she went to the hospital was she thought she was so badly hung over and dehydrated that she could only get better there. That is when she found out that she didn't have a hang-over, she had a baby. Her daughter was born healthy and has no developmental issues. She is 4 years old and looks about as healthy as can be.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
I would definitely call your doc and go from there. Also, start taking a folic acid supplement or prenatal vitamin ASAP.
Don't worry, chances are things will be just fine!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

joyfulgirl129 posted:

Been up for hours reading this thread. I missed a period (or two?) in October so I took a test today and it came up positive.

Naturally, I'm freaking out. My periods have always been irregular so I don't even know how many I missed, and we weren't actively trying (thanks diaphragm), and I've been mentally calculating how many "rules" I've broken : daily Adderall 20mg for near-debilitating ADHD, coffee, booze, no vitamins, deli meat, cheese, little sleep, one or two Imitrex for migraines, I got my hair colored, 90% of my meals are power bars...I could probabaly think of a bunch more. I work in PR and marketing so I've been living on fly working 50-60 hours a week and eating when I can. Oh and a couple of xanax when I had to take a flight.

I keep thinking about how I've probably already scrambled the kids brain and he or she is pretty much Whitney Houston/Bobby Brown's kid by now.

I don't even know where to start. Call an ob/gyn on Monday, I guess? Stop taking my meds? My husband keeps telling me not to worry but I do, and I fear that due to my psych issues I'm already a prime candidate for PPD.

We worried about this too, since my wife figured there was no way she was pregnant and kept drinking and taking a prescription cough medicine with hydrocodone in it for several weeks before we found out. The doctors were 100% unconcerned, they said that the baby is pretty self-sufficient at the beginning, and has a sac for nutrients. Once the placenta forms then it is much more important to regulate what you eat/drink. But I think that if you start eating like you are pregnant now, you will be fine.

I would second the other people's thought that you should see your doctor before stopping any medicines. Our doctor told my wife that she has to have an airplane-airmask mentality. Secure your own mask before helping children (meaning, taking care of yourself is important to the health of your child).

Also, IIRC the hair coloring thing isn't considered a rule anymore, right goons?

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

I know anecdotes are just that, but it really made me feel better so thanks :) I've calmed down a bit but still feel so unprepared, like I don't even have a bigger bra to wear right now and most of my clothes are dry clean only. I just took a promotion at work and my sister is supposed to be getting married next summer and how will I find child care etc. Etc. Etc.

I'll call my doctor first thing Monday. It's tough because I was just about to dump her as a GP...her office hours are like 5 minutes a year, wait times are over an hour, and she flat out told me previously that she would not prescribe any medication for me if I planned on getting pregnant because the health of the child is more important than my mental health. I should have switched back then but it's South Texas and that's pretty much the standard for all doctors here. I went through two before finding one that even acknowledged that ADHD existed in adults. ("Kids grow out of it! You just need to eat less red dye!")

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

joyfulgirl129 posted:

I know anecdotes are just that, but it really made me feel better so thanks :) I've calmed down a bit but still feel so unprepared, like I don't even have a bigger bra to wear right now and most of my clothes are dry clean only. I just took a promotion at work and my sister is supposed to be getting married next summer and how will I find child care etc. Etc. Etc.

I'll call my doctor first thing Monday. It's tough because I was just about to dump her as a GP...her office hours are like 5 minutes a year, wait times are over an hour, and she flat out told me previously that she would not prescribe any medication for me if I planned on getting pregnant because the health of the child is more important than my mental health. I should have switched back then but it's South Texas and that's pretty much the standard for all doctors here. I went through two before finding one that even acknowledged that ADHD existed in adults. ("Kids grow out of it! You just need to eat less red dye!")

Sounds like you should shop around for a new doctor too!

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Just to add another comforting anecdote about my similar SURPRISE!!! pregnancy: I found out super early that I was pregnant, but I had been drinking HEAVILY, smoking (tobacco) HEAVILY, taking Ativan (as prescribed) daily, took Imitrex a bunch of times for migraine, took a couple of Fiorinal when the Imitrex didn't work (caffiene, asprin, butalbital), and was renovating an apartment full of lead paint and God knows what else without a mask. I was covered in sheetrock, paint chips, mold, paint thinner, pretty much 12 hrs a day the entire first 6 weeks I was pregnant. I immediately quit smoking and drinking when I took that first test (in hindsight I am drat lucky I didn't have severe W/D) and after getting a confirmation of pregnancy letter from Planned Parenthood so I could get state health insurance, set up an appointment with an OB who told me the same thing--"during the early weeks they have their own nutrients from the egg sac, it's when the placenta develops that you need to be careful" more or less. I thought they'd want to see me right away because of all that, and the fact that I'm 38 but they were like, "Nah, you're good, start taking a prenatal with folic acid and we'll see you at around 8 weeks."

My son is 100% fine. Off the charts verbally according to his pediatrician, and the most happy, outgoing kid ever. I was so afraid I'd be "punished" for my terrible lifestyle and he'd have health problems that were my fault. It was tough going, but quitting drinking/smoking was super easy. I was also told I could take Ativan sparingly as needed, but I ended up not needing.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

That's good to hear. I'm glad your son is healthy and awesome and thanks for emphasizing HEAVILY. I'm being typically ADHD selfish and fretting that I won't be able to take any stimulant medication, and I'll spiral back into depression, OCD, loving up at work, and alienating my husband, family, and friends. It literally was a lifesaver for me since without it, I obsess on my own faults and consider self harm periodically. I have a rant that I will save for the ADHD thread.

I wish I had access to the same doctors you guys have. The first ob/gyn I saw when I moved here had Bible quotes/Christian decor in his waiting room, and the next tried to push that eyelash growing gel on me when I came in for a checkup. This city is teeming with doctors but 9/10 are a step above doctor Nick.

Do you experienced preg-goons think it would be beneficial to "interview" a bunch of different ob/gyns somehow and get a feel for their practice? I want to find someone who has treated women with psychiatric issues and on medication, and that would be OK with facilitating termination in case of severe defects. I'm really not exaggerating about doctors in my network: I actually work for a health provider group, have listened to the crazy come out of their mouths, and tried to mitigate what they are saying so they don't sound crazy. One doc is a huge donor to Ted Cruz if that tells you anything.

Oh yeah. That reminds me, if this goes down I have to keep it under wraps for as long as possible because other women have been passed over for promotions/demoted for being pregnant. :(

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Funhilde posted:

I had a friend that didn't know for 7 MONTHS!

I have a friend who found out that she was having a baby when she went to the E.R because of back pain, and was told that she was in labour :v:

It's insane, a bunch of us went to a music festival that summer when she must've been 7 months pregnant, and the thought never even entered my mind, she looked, well, utterly non-pregnant.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Sockmuppet posted:

I have a friend who found out that she was having a baby when she went to the E.R because of back pain, and was told that she was in labour :v:

It's insane, a bunch of us went to a music festival that summer when she must've been 7 months pregnant, and the thought never even entered my mind, she looked, well, utterly non-pregnant.

Yeah. Pictures of my friend the week before she found out and the week after were totally nuts. She did seriously look pregnant the week after.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
I found out at about 6 weeks, just so no one thinks I went like, months drinking/smoking/inhaling lead paint :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
With the holidays coming up my wife and I are starting to think about all the stuff we'll need to manage our little parasite once it detaches from the host. I couldn't find anything in the OP; are there any good resources to check out?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

We had our first ultrasound today and got to see the little blueberry-sized baby! I didn't expect it to be as exciting as it was, it was a great moment.

Beforehand my wife had convinced herself that everything would be terrible and we would only have bad news, but luckily she was wrong and everything is moving along perfectly. This was our viability scan, we go back in 4 weeks for the MaterniT-21 test and some other stuff.

So far, so good!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

With the holidays coming up my wife and I are starting to think about all the stuff we'll need to manage our little parasite once it detaches from the host. I couldn't find anything in the OP; are there any good resources to check out?

The book "Baby Bargains" is great for figuring out what you need and what brands are crap.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*

Ishamael posted:

We had our first ultrasound today and got to see the little blueberry-sized baby! I didn't expect it to be as exciting as it was, it was a great moment.

Beforehand my wife had convinced herself that everything would be terrible and we would only have bad news, but luckily she was wrong and everything is moving along perfectly. This was our viability scan, we go back in 4 weeks for the MaterniT-21 test and some other stuff.

So far, so good!
Congrats! Glad everything is going swimmingly. My husband had a similar reaction when I had my first ultrasound, going from a cautious optimism to "Holy Crap, this is really happening!"

Just wait until your next one; it's amazing how the thing can go from a little blob to a little human-looking thing with fingers and legs and a face, all in the span of a few weeks or so!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

skeetied posted:

The book "Baby Bargains" is great for figuring out what you need and what brands are crap.

Wow, you're not kidding. The book is incredibly comprehensive.

Anybody have experience with the IKEA cribs? I see no reason to spend hundreds of dollars on something if a cheaper model will do everything I need.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anybody have experience with the IKEA cribs? I see no reason to spend hundreds of dollars on something if a cheaper model will do everything I need.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a crib until you meet your baby. My older son used his for exactly one month between 12 and 13 months. A bedside bassinet or Pack 'n Play will work fine in the beginning.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I used one, it was perfectly adequate as a place to store laundry for the first uhhh..8-11 months of his life. Worked well as a crib, once he started sleeping in it. Didn't work so well once I switched it to toddler bed mode as it was incredibly light and he used to flip it over and make toddler forts with it in the night. Seriously though, I liked it quite a bit. I had the $99 Gulliver because it seemed a bit more sturdy than the Sniglar. It eventually made its way to another baby and is still in use.

Also, I did pretty much all my baby gear selection out of that book and I was really happy with everything I ended up with.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anybody have experience with the IKEA cribs?

We've also got the GULLIVER one. Kid has slept in hers almost from day one. (I wanted to co-sleep, but she was NOT interested, thank you very much, so she slept in her crib right next to our bed)

So far we're very happy with it, with the caveat that we've yet to try the full on toddler mode.

Oh, and unless you personally love hot pink floofy girl-things or manly man sportsplaying tough guy-things, I'd try to impress upon your family that you'd like somewhat gender neutral things for the baby (Say it's because you plan on having another one, and want to reuse things - the promise of more babies works wonders!) Older relatives are amazing at finding the most over the top and often completely impractical blatantly girl/boy-stuff, and this way you avoid a lot of tackiness.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

skeetied posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a crib until you meet your baby. My older son used his for exactly one month between 12 and 13 months. A bedside bassinet or Pack 'n Play will work fine in the beginning.

Definitely do this. Our baby is 3 months and currently our crib is a giant laundry basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Finland provides every new parent with a box full of baby stuff, and the box itself serves as a bed. It's pretty cool.

http://babyboxco.com/pages/tradition