Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, since no one's mentioned it yet, I wonder who the dog is talking to in the last panel? "'Mission complete' it says it says." That's an interesting little speech habit there.

EDIT: And top of the page, to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

neogeo0823 posted:

So, since no one's mentioned it yet, I wonder who the dog is talking to in the last panel? "'Mission complete' it says it says." That's an interesting little speech habit there.

Maybe something else is saying that the dog says that the mission is complete.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Brannock posted:

Maybe something else is saying that the dog says that the mission is complete.

Yeah, the bubble tail clearly doesn't go to the dog.

Didn't those shadow spirits that told Forge how to get into Mayview talk like that?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I mean that another character is translating the dogs.

The dog says "Mission complete."

The translator says "'Mission complete', it says".

The shadow figure says "'Mission complete', it says it says."

Dog-language is apparently rare and difficult to speak, so that's part of my circumstantial evidence for the likelihood of this situation, compared to it being a verbal tic.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Eightfold was a double agent. Gather information, find a way out of Mayview, and report back (to who? I don't know!) All without raising suspicion from Spender or anyone else. I mean, c'mon, the whole "I must go now (while conveniently outside of town borders)" thing is odd and suspicious.

How did 8F find a way in in the first place? I don't know! Maybe Isabel's grandpa? The whole "don't rely on tools" is a perfect cover/alibi/deflection for bringing in a tool to work undercover. And he stressed it to Isabel because didn't want his granddaughter to be useless when 8F made his (her?) inevitable escape.

Late nite Paranatural thoughts, yo.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
That seems overly complicated. The "dog" reported the mission complete. Someone else translated that for a third party, and said third party would (presumably) then be passing that message on to a fourth party.

Not impossible, to be sure, but until I can double check I'm putting my money on it being a verbal tick.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So did nobody ask Spender why the train was enraged?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Man, the violation of the 180-degree rule between the second-to-last and last panels (10-11) confused the heck out of me.

"Why is Max suddenly on the other side of Isabel???"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I think it's because Isabel pops a bubble around herself in one panel then in the next she's wrapped Max in a bubble, such that the bright red spot is on the right side of both panels but who's inside of it swaps.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's more like a 90 degree angle change though :v:

e: no wait isaac is in a front seat

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
max is really just grumpy because he can't ride with dr zarei on her cool motorcycle

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Brannock posted:

How do you explain "Inhuman choices can be made with the best --" (of intentions, presumably), then?

I think it'd be that she's consciously using children as pawns to try and work out what Spender is up to. While BL seems like a compassionate enough person at heart, she's setting a rather cold objective at the forefront, and while on a practical level she feels a need to achieve it through whatever means necessary, her emotional instinct is to be looking out for the kids rather than enlisting them in plots. She recognizes her own line of thinking as being pretty lousy from a being a good human being perspective.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tollymain posted:

it's more like a 90 degree angle change though :v:

e: no wait isaac is in a front seat

See!!!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I love the bromance developing between Max and Isabel. He's all bummed out about not getting to see his mom, but rather than ask what's wrong she just heckles him until he rages out of his funk.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fecha posted:

As for why he looks like poo poo, well, I think he's both reflecting on what a lovely job he did almost getting a bunch of kids killed on what was supposed to be a simple, easy mission, including carelessly unleashing an eldritch horror upon them, as well as bothered by the implications of everyone being stuck in Mayview.

Also Forge beat the crap out of him. That's kind of big too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
At this point, Spender being a villain is a BEST case scenario for him. Because right now, the only other really plausible option for him is "Greek tragedy character who drags himself and everyone around him down to hell through his own choices and only realizes his errors when it's too late".

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah, paranatural doesn't seem that dark a comic

i'm expecting him to almost achieve the second, only for somebody, possibly everybody else to save the day

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tollymain posted:

i'm expecting him to almost achieve the second, only for johnny to save the day

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Poison Mushroom posted:

At this point, Spender being a villain is a BEST case scenario for him. Because right now, the only other really plausible option for him is "Greek tragedy character who drags himself and everyone around him down to hell through his own choices and only realizes his errors when it's too late".

If we're using anime as an analogy, Spender is basically Kakashi, but instead of highly skilled but doofy, he's...just sort of doofy. I rather like it though--being put in danger seems like such a common occurance among spectrals that it doesn't seem like that alone is a bad show. Isaac and Ed literally had an entire epic adventure on that train, so the kids are trusted to fend for themselves.

Spender is almost certainly more upset about A) losing so badly to Forge and B) his shadow demon nearly escaping, both of which seem to be Much Bigger Deals than any individual consortium member dying. In an organization that deals in ghosts, death is probably only your third biggest worry.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

BottledBodhisvata posted:

If we're using anime as an analogy, Spender is basically Kakashi, but instead of highly skilled but doofy, he's...just sort of doofy.

A more straightforward comparison would be kid Naruto. Doofy, ineffectual, thinks he's all that, has an overpowered evil monster locked in his chest.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's worth remembering that he did actually beat Forge, and probably Isaac's Storm God before that. He's got more skill than his doofy dork demeanor would suggest, but not so many as he thinks or he needs to tackle whatever in-over-his-head challenges he's taken on.

I mean, he doesn't even realize his biggest problem yet, which is that he's so easy to manipulate that a dog/cat tricked him into taking out the wrong guy. Whoever the mysterious villain is, he just got two of his rivals in a life-or-death tangle with an evil house-pet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
What anime is Ed? Ed?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
e/ whichever one has the most dumb jokes

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 13, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

What anime is Ed? Ed?

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Dias posted:

What anime is Ed? Ed?

Ed Edd n Eddy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dias posted:

What anime is Ed? Ed?
Loony Tunes.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Dolash posted:

It's worth remembering that he did actually beat Forge, and probably Isaac's Storm God before that. He's got more skill than his doofy dork demeanor would suggest, but not so many as he thinks or he needs to tackle whatever in-over-his-head challenges he's taken on.

I mean, he doesn't even realize his biggest problem yet, which is that he's so easy to manipulate that a dog/cat tricked him into taking out the wrong guy. Whoever the mysterious villain is, he just got two of his rivals in a life-or-death tangle with an evil house-pet.

It seems like Spender wins his fights the most shonen villain way, by going for a cheap shot after his enemy moralizes to him and then turns their back to walk away.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Hypocrisy posted:

It seems like Spender wins his fights the most shonen villain way, by going for a cheap shot after his enemy moralizes to him and then turns their back to walk away.

You call it a cheap shot, but when someone tries to kill you, I call doing that "victory".

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Exit Strategy posted:

You call it a cheap shot, but when someone tries to kill you, I call doing that "victory".

Forge was going to kill Spender in the cruelest way imaginable... by leaving him in Mayview where he would eventually die of old age in a hospital.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Exit Strategy posted:

Forge was kind of just wandering off at that point. Spender was being petty because he lost.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Splicer posted:

Forge was kind of just wandering off at that point. Spender was being petty because he lost.

Forge's fault. He thought his enemy bested. His moralizing was his undoing--he forced Spender to play a game, but only knew how to play by his own rules. Spender had a different set of rules.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

His own set of rules being "I'm petty and underhanded." He just had to win that fight he picked with a spirit he knew nothing about.

I like Spender. He's a fun character. But he's also deeply flawed, which I think is (one of the) point(s) of this chapter.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Uh, pretty sure that Spender was always planning on killing Forge, especially after Forge told him he was trying to get into Mayview to serve some mysterious demi-god level spirit.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
You guys we have a comic tomorrow after 10 days off. I'm excited.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=305

Looks like Brannon was rigAAAAAAAAA WHAT THE CHRIST

e:secret words that's skulls for "hey man what's up"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 21, 2014

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I really like the design on the tiny translator spirit. It looks so shifty.

Also, a big bruiser looking guy with what looks like a gorilla skull mask and a thin guy with a... lizard/snake skull mask?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Eeeeeeeeysh! :stonk: And just as I was chuckling over "You are not a good boy, but this is satisfactory to us."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what are the dogs saying? i don't remember the trick to translating cursed words

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

what are the dogs saying? i don't remember the trick to translating cursed words

Something like the number of horns indicating the chapter, the number of eyes indicating the page, and the number of teeth indicating the words. Don't really remember if it was exactly that but the idea was along these lines. According to the hover-text, the translation is "hey man, what's up" and I feel like trusting hover text guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

4chan claims:

Panel 1: "The sunglasses spectral certainly destroyed him"
and
Last panel: "Die with us brother"