Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

...so the internet shouldn't work as well for blacks and poors? :shrug:

If you haven't noticed, poors can't afford good internet connections so of course they have to be much slower than everyone else. Eventually they'll bootstrap their way up to good quality internet with no need for government interference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Picnic Princess posted:

I know 90% of you still have a heart, scroll past if you don't!

I still do this :smugbert:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

EXAKT Science posted:

I think they're TERFs.

e: Yep.

those are some second wavers all right

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Guest2553 posted:

...so the internet shouldn't work as well for blacks and poors? :shrug:

Uh, yes that's exactly what Ted Cruz believes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Well that's what Comcast(I think?) says he should believe.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

RFC2324 posted:

I still do this :smugbert:

It looks like you survived too! Share with all your friends!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Met posted:

Why does he have two accounts?

Can't fit that much stupid on one account.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's really effective messaging, since I literally don't know how to argue against it. It is so orthogonal from reality that I don't even know where to start.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
And he's seriously being considered for president.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Shbobdb posted:

It's really effective messaging, since I literally don't know how to argue against it. It is so orthogonal from reality that I don't even know where to start.

I think there's probably some term for that sort of tactic. Say something so loving insane and off the wall that it just dumbfounds everyone else and you can basically go "Heh. Checkmate. :colbert:"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

karl fungus posted:

And he's seriously being considered for president.

Does he even have a chance of nomination, though? Republican primaries consist entirely of the craziest motherfuckers you've ever heard, and a white dude so milquetoast you'd think he got built at a factory somewhere. It's always the last guy who gets to run.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think he's technically a Canadian, so not even eligible. But, as his core voters will tell you, Obola is a dirty Kenyan, so...

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, I was under the impression he was born here in Alberta, so doesn't that make him a dirty foreigner?

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

McCain was born in Panama. The whole "natural-born citizen" thing only applies to black people, apparently.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
In response to an article that popped up on my Facebook about there being no known cases of Ebola in the US right now, someone posted this picture, and I laughed way harder than I should've...

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

I hate stupid poo poo like this but why is the cat filing its paw? To have super sensitive pads?

Which one of you made this? It came up unironically on my wall

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Ted Cruz also renounced his Canadian citizenship in a blaze of publicity this summer so it wouldn't be an issue even if it were the case that you have to be born in the States to be eligible for the presidency (which it isn't).

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

kazil posted:

Uh, yes that's exactly what Ted Cruz believes.

Well that 'neutrality' Internet welfare stuff sounds a lot like communism and after all we both know who the real racists are.

Don Gato posted:

If you haven't noticed, poors can't afford good internet connections so of course they have to be much slower than everyone else. Eventually they'll bootstrap their way up to good quality internet with no need for government interference.

This guy gets it.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dogfish posted:

Ted Cruz also renounced his Canadian citizenship in a blaze of publicity this summer so it wouldn't be an issue even if it were the case that you have to be born in the States to be eligible for the presidency (which it isn't).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but just in case I'm not: to be qualified for president, you have to be a natural born citizen, resident for at least 14 years, and at least 35 years of age.

If you were trying to say something else, my apologies.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

McCain was born in Panama. The whole "natural-born citizen" thing only applies to black people, apparently.

McCain was born on a military base. It counts as being a natural-born citizen.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

EZipperelli posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but just in case I'm not: to be qualified for president, you have to be a natural born citizen, resident for at least 14 years, and at least 35 years of age.

If you were trying to say something else, my apologies.

You're a natural born citizen if you're parent has been a citizen for now than 10 years, even if you aren't born on US soil.

Nobody cared about McCain because he was born on an army base, and iirc, army bases are considered US soil by the US for legal purposes (e.g. non-military personnel need to follow US law when in military bases, even if specific actions are legal in the country in which the base is located.)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Actually, people did care about McCain. Just, not as many people care about Obama.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Goosed it. posted:

You're a natural born citizen if you're parent has been a citizen for now than 10 years, even if you aren't born on US soil.

Which in turn makes the "0bummer was born in Kenya, Indonesia! :freep:" even funnier because even if that were true, you'd still have to prove his mom isn't an American citizen or add a fake mother onto the list of conspiracies Obama is involved with.

(As I recall there are conspiracy theories where Obama is lying about who his mother is, and his real mother is a dirty foreigner)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DrProsek posted:

Which in turn makes the "0bummer was born in Kenya, Indonesia! :freep:" even funnier because even if that were true, you'd still have to prove his mom isn't an American citizen or add a fake mother onto the list of conspiracies Obama is involved with.

(As I recall there are conspiracy theories where Obama is lying about who his mother is, and his real mother is a dirty foreigner)

There's also one out there that his mother wasn't a citizen long enough or something.

Really the answer is because he's black.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The problem is that "natural born citizen" only appears in the presidential qualifications, and the founders were never clear on what they meant by that. It's also rarely, if ever, come up until Obama (wonder why). The most unambiguous is being born on US soil, regardless of parents' citizenship. Most candidates for president were born here, so it's never been a major issue.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Regardless, I hope he gets as much poo poo as possible for being Canadian.

Sephiroth_IRA has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Nov 12, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yes, Tracy, Jugulator and Demolition got two of the bottom three slots because Tim Owens is a Republican :psyduck:

(The best Priest album is Defenders, gently caress all y'all)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It's weird how right wingers think calling someone a democrat is somehow the worst insult there is. They interject it into politically neutral topics constantly. Read the comments on any story ever and some idiot will start talking about liberals.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

It's weird how right wingers think calling someone a democrat is somehow the worst insult there is. They interject it into politically neutral topics constantly. Read the comments on any story ever and some idiot will start talking about liberals.

Liberals do this too, they just use different language.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

CeramicPig posted:

I hate stupid poo poo like this but why is the cat filing its paw? To have super sensitive pads?

It's a clip of Salem from Sabrina. Those are either fake paws or the cat itself is an animatronic puppet.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Kay Kessler posted:

It's a clip of Salem from Sabrina. Those are either fake paws or the cat itself is an animatronic puppet.

It's from an ad for milk. Yes, I'm ashamed to recognise it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I have a local one here. So the School board here in Montgomery County, MD had a request from Muslim students, parents, and faculty to recognize one of their Holidays, Eid ­al-Adha. In the past, like any other religious Holiday or civil duty, people who stayed home for the holiday would receive an excused absence. But these kids are still missing school, and also it's not mentioned along with other Christian, Jewish, Civil, and other holidays. So leaders requested (they didn't sue or bring legal action, they just asked) that the school board put Eid ­al-Adha on the calendar along with Easter, Rosh-hashannah, and Christmas at least, even if they don't close school for the holiday.

Well this being a school board in a very rich, very white, suburb of DC, you can probably guess what the reaction was:

Holidays’ names stricken from next year’s Montgomery schools calendar

Yeah, they took their ball and went home. Didn't even allow it to be put on the calendar. No instead they're trying to alienate the Muslim community even more by making them the bad guys for wanting to be recognized as existing.

From the article posted:

Christmas and Easter have been stricken from next year’s school calendar in Montgomery County. So have Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah.

Montgomery’s Board of Education voted 7 to 1 Tuesday to eliminate references to all religious holidays on the published calendar for 2015-2016, a decision that followed a request from Muslim community leaders to give equal billing to the Muslim holy day of Eid al-Adha.

In practical terms, Montgomery schools will still be closed for the Christian and Jewish holidays, as in previous years, and students will still get the same days off, as planned.

Board members said Tuesday that the new calendar will reflect days the state requires the system to be closed and that it will close on other days that have shown a high level of student and staff absenteeism. Though those days happen to coincide with major Christian and Jewish holidays, board members made clear that the days off are not meant to observe those religious holidays, which they say is not legally permitted.

Muslim community leaders have been asking Montgomery school officials for years to close schools for at least one of the two major Muslim holidays.

But Tuesday’s outcome was not at all what Muslim leaders intended. They called the decision a surprise — and a glaring mistake.

“By stripping the names Christmas, Easter, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, they have alienated other communities now, and we are no closer to equality,” said Saqib Ali, a former Maryland state delegate and co-chair of the Equality for Eid Coalition. “It’s a pretty drastic step, and they did it without any public notification.”

Board member Michael A. Durso (District 5) was the sole vote against the calendar change. During the board’s discussion, he noted that Montgomery brags about its diversity and its embrace of different cultures. “No matter how well-intentioned we are, it comes off as insensitive” to Muslim families, he said.

I'm just going to point back to this line again:

jerkoff posted:

Though those days happen to coincide with major Christian and Jewish holidays, board members made clear that the days off are not meant to observe those religious holidays, which they say is not legally permitted.

And give it a hearty :jerkbag:

You can try and make the argument that if only 5~5.6% of the school population is Muslim that it's just not worth taking a day off for it. But the Jewish population of MoCo is just 11.6%, and that's not a percentage of students in public school that's just the Jewish population of the county. I can't find a demo for public school enrollment.

And of course, it's the Muslims fault.

Also the comments are full of:

-Conservatives crying
-Atheists going "yes, goood"
-Think of the children
-racism

And this is the "Liberal" part of Maryland...:sigh:

Crain has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Nov 12, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Crain posted:

Note that American liberals are still far, FAR more to the right than most other right wingers in other countries. The actual right wing here is just bugfuck insane in a lot of cases.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wow. I thought those kind of tactics went out the window with the Southern response to Brown vs. the Board of Education.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Leon Einstein posted:

Segmentation Fault posted:

Liberals do this too, they just use different language.

Fun fact! One of the ways we have been able to measure racism in this country is by asking "Would you let your son or daughter marry outside their race?" In the 1960s, obviously people were a lot less happy about the idea than they are now. However, when they asked the same question, but substituted race for political party, the inverse happened. In 1960, only 5% of Americans really had an issue with the idea of someone marrying outside of their political party.

http://jezebel.com/5947176/republicans-and-democrats-are-less-tolerant-of-interparty-marriage

Now, 40% of respondents say that they would be displeased with the idea. 50% of Republicans, and 30% of democrats. A fair amount of people also believe that the other party is a danger to America. The USA is growing more and more partisan, the days where Reagan or LBJ are able to sweep the nation are over. Political party is becoming more and more of a social identity, and some political scientists are freaking out about it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Eh, when I here the phrase "The country is more partisan than ever before..." I just kind of blink.

It's always been this way.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tab8715 posted:

Eh, when I here the phrase "The country is more partisan than ever before..." I just kind of blink.

Not to sound like a conspiracy nut, but that's what party leaders want you to think, because it benefits them for you to either become a radicalized voter, or to think voting isn't worth it. The country hasn't always been this partisan, the south used to tend towards the Democratic Party, and the way things are now are the two sides grabbing demographics pick'n'mix style.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Triskelli posted:

Not to sound like a conspiracy nut, but that's what party leaders want you to think, because it benefits them for you to either become a radicalized voter, or to think voting isn't worth it. The country hasn't always been this partisan, the south used to tend towards the Democratic Party, and the way things are now are the two sides grabbing demographics pick'n'mix style.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Crain posted:

I have a local one here. So the School board here in Montgomery County, MD had a request from Muslim students, parents, and faculty to recognize one of their Holidays, Eid ­al-Adha. In the past, like any other religious Holiday or civil duty, people who stayed home for the holiday would receive an excused absence. But these kids are still missing school, and also it's not mentioned along with other Christian, Jewish, Civil, and other holidays. So leaders requested (they didn't sue or bring legal action, they just asked) that the school board put Eid ­al-Adha on the calendar along with Easter, Rosh-hashannah, and Christmas at least, even if they don't close school for the holiday.

Well this being a school board in a very rich, very white, suburb of DC, you can probably guess what the reaction was:

Holidays’ names stricken from next year’s Montgomery schools calendar

Yeah, they took their ball and went home. Didn't even allow it to be put on the calendar. No instead they're trying to alienate the Muslim community even more by making them the bad guys for wanting to be recognized as existing.

I'm just going to point back to this line again:

And give it a hearty :jerkbag:

You can try and make the argument that if only 5~5.6% of the school population is Muslim that it's just not worth taking a day off for it. But the Jewish population of MoCo is just 11.6%, and that's not a percentage of students in public school that's just the Jewish population of the county. I can't find a demo for public school enrollment.

And of course, it's the Muslims fault.

Also the comments are full of:

-Conservatives crying
-Atheists going "yes, goood"
-Think of the children
-racism

Before Greece v. Galloway, I couldn't see that sort of behaviour being accepted. Now… :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tab8715 posted:

Do you believe 5% and 40% are the same number

• Locked thread