Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
classes should be an afterthought for a language that's just 99% code fragments included in an adhoc manner or inline in html

like lmfao yeah i'm going to inherit from a class that's defined in some html partial in the site index

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dont really understand js but i like how you can pass around functions and i like how the fact it has very little support for including or importing or whatever makes your language feel pretty stable

ya functions as first class objects owns owns owns. but not having require() doesn't own at all because it just encourages people to come up with tremendously ugly workarounds (require.js)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

it kinda is a problem when they aped java syntax and actually only got prototypal inheritance right in es5

i just pull in underscore and squint until it looks like lisp.

abraham linksys posted:

it's getting the "classical sugar over prototypes" several frameworks (backbone, ember, ampersand-model, winjs, et al) and libraries already implement in ad-hoc fashion

https://github.com/lukehoban/es6features#classes

sellouts.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Tiny Bug Child posted:

classes are *not* the same as prototypes. this is not a trivial distinction.

it is among the most trivial distinctions one can make about a programming language

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

suffix posted:

hey btrfs has some cool features, you could easily make a distributed system by gluing some exec calls and http on top of that, right?

Btrfs is still broken, the last thing you'd want to do with it is store files on it.

Maybe it's not broken broken but it's problematic.

e: There's something else about this that I find funny.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 12, 2014

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Btrfs (B-tree file system, variously pronounced: "Butter F S", "Butterface",[7] "Better F S",[5] "B-tree F S",[8] or simply by spelling it out)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
acceptable file systems include and are limited to: ntfs, hfs+, ext4, murderfs, templeos redsea, zfs

those are ordered by likelihood that you will ever get to use them

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

acceptable file systems include and are limited to: ntfs, hfs+, ext4, murderfs, templeos redsea, zfs

is zfs at the end a joke or something

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

Btrfs (B-tree file system, variously pronounced: "Butter F S", "Butterface",[7] "Better F S",[5] "B-tree F S",[8] or simply by spelling it out)
butt roughs

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

it is among the most trivial distinctions one can make about a programming language

if that was true there wouldn't be a jillion stackoverflow questions about how to mangle js inheritance into class based inheritance

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
a jillion stackoverflow questions about a topic do not show that the topic is especially important. they show it's especially confusing.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

alright man whatever you're totally right that the inheritance system an object-oriented programming language uses is a mere triviality

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

JewKiller 3000 posted:

hdfs and gfs2 are all right i think, but never run a compile job on either

i haven't touched ceph, lustre or glusterfs but probably one of them are dece, too

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Tiny Bug Child posted:

alright man whatever you're totally right that the inheritance system an object-oriented programming language uses is a mere triviality

i'm talking about javascript and other p-langs, not real object-oriented programming languages like java and c#. javascript has decided that "object" actually means "hash map from string keys to arbitrary values, with a pointer to a parent hash map". the maps and pointers can be modified at run time until you've monkey patched everything to your heart's content. there is nothing even resembling a vtable or any static type information that could be used by an ide. it's oop only in the cargo cult sense. now tell me how this is fundamentally any different from python or ruby or php, except for the keyword "class"

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
does getting into it with TBC mean you're getting buggered

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i'm talking about javascript and other p-langs, not real object-oriented programming languages like java and c#. javascript has decided that "object" actually means "hash map from string keys to arbitrary values, with a pointer to a parent hash map". the maps and pointers can be modified at run time until you've monkey patched everything to your heart's content. there is nothing even resembling a vtable or any static type information that could be used by an ide. it's oop only in the cargo cult sense. now tell me how this is fundamentally any different from python or ruby or php, except for the keyword "class"

i don't give a flying gently caress about any of that and neither does anyone who's not a useless academic. who the gently caress started talking about implementation details? vtables? are you making GBS threads me? oop means "objects are a central concept in this language". it is completely independent of how the language operates under the hood. you don't get to redefine it to require your dumb compiled language poo poo. gently caress i can't believe you got me to reply to that stupid loving post

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
a coworker told me recently that javascript is like finger painting and I think that's pretty apt

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i don't give a flying gently caress about any of that and neither does anyone who's not a useless academic.

til that the millions of Java and c# programmers producing useful code all over the world with the aid of powerful intelligent ides are "useless academics"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

TheresNoThyme posted:

parseInt("99abcdefg10456") => 99

not even once

lmao i totally forgot about that until today when i had to go through a 2k loc js codebase and replace all parseInts with Numbers just to maintain some semblance of sanity

Tiny Bug Child posted:

ya functions as first class objects owns owns owns. but not having require() doesn't own at all because it just encourages people to come up with tremendously ugly workarounds (require.js)

almost all the js i write involves passing functions and i love it

tbh i also love doing it in plangs too so i think i must be the horror here

also underscore/lodash owns and if you dont use it youre some kind of javascript scrub

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i don't give a flying gently caress about any of that and neither does anyone who's not a useless academic. who the gently caress started talking about implementation details? vtables? are you making GBS threads me? oop means "objects are a central concept in this language". it is completely independent of how the language operates under the hood. you don't get to redefine it to require your dumb compiled language poo poo. gently caress i can't believe you got me to reply to that stupid loving post

OOP isn't about objects. All values are objects. OOP in a language is a means of having run-time dispatch and in a program is the use of the Liskov substitution design pattern.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

sarehu posted:

OOP isn't about objects. All values are objects. OOP in a language is a means of having run-time dispatch and in a program is the use of the Liskov substitution design pattern.

OOP is shittily defined and nobody exactly agrees what it stands for. The Scheme Wiki has a great page compiling some of the different meanings given to OO through the years.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

sarehu posted:

did the ancient neckbearded god of programming bestow this universal truth upon you in a dream or something

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

GrumpyDoctor posted:

did the ancient neckbearded god of programming bestow this universal truth upon you in a dream or something

Liskov substitution is a formal way of saying things like code has properties independent of what its modeling and monkey patching is poo poo so i like it

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

MononcQc posted:

OOP is shittily defined and nobody exactly agrees what it stands for. The Scheme Wiki has a great page compiling some of the different meanings given to OO through the years.

sure but that definition has never included the way the interpreter/compiler implements oop. magic data gnomes could carry the properties from one object to the next for all i care. that part doesn't matter. what matters is the part visible to the user (of the PL, the developer)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Soricidus posted:

til that the millions of Java and c# programmers producing useful code all over the world with the aid of powerful intelligent ides are "useless academics"

i bet you they don't give a poo poo how it's implemented, which was my point

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

sure but that definition has never included the way the interpreter/compiler implements oop. magic data gnomes could carry the properties from one object to the next for all i care. that part doesn't matter. what matters is the part visible to the user (of the PL, the developer)

yes, which is what the page mentions. It has examples on how these principles are implemented but isn't limited to the implementation at all.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
so were in agreement that mononcqc and tbc are in agreement

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Monad

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
https://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/ann...mmunity-edition

hi shaggar :q:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Microsoft <3 Linux

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

sarehu posted:

e: There's something else about this that I find funny.

Okay, the other thing I find funny about this is that

(a) it's made by a former coworker,
(b) the other guy listed in the README as working on it is a current coworker, non-technical, he's only made a few spellchecking commits,
(c) this information about their current employment status is explicitly repeated in https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8591193 where my CEO is posting, so they're not even trying to hide this fact,
(d) "Two guys who love data and communities" what is this about communities?

Now I'm just waiting for the current coworker to make a substantive creative change to the README (that isn't just spell check) and... there are some. This definitely relates to our current business, California Labor Code Section 2870 isn't going to offer any protection, if this keeps up they're going to get their documentation copyright curb-stomped in the future.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I sure hope it tanks Java. (lol it wont)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cool now I don't have to pretend that Java has any advantages over c#

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Waiting on my OSX version of Visual Studio.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

GrumpyDoctor posted:

No, I discovered the meaning through meditation and philosophy.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

it would be silly to run asp.net on Linux when windows/iis is so much better but maybe these leads to Linux getting its first real UI framework.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

sarehu posted:

Okay, the other thing I find funny about this is that

(a) it's made by a former coworker,
(b) the other guy listed in the README as working on it is a current coworker, non-technical, he's only made a few spellchecking commits,
(c) this information about their current employment status is explicitly repeated in https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8591193 where my CEO is posting, so they're not even trying to hide this fact,
(d) "Two guys who love data and communities" what is this about communities?

Now I'm just waiting for the current coworker to make a substantive creative change to the README (that isn't just spell check) and... there are some. This definitely relates to our current business, California Labor Code Section 2870 isn't going to offer any protection, if this keeps up they're going to get their documentation copyright curb-stomped in the future.

eagerly awaiting the followup post to this OP

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the consolidation of vs express editions + ungimping of extensions is way cool tho.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

it would be silly to run asp.net on Linux when windows/iis is so much better but maybe these leads to Linux getting its first real UI framework.

which framework is that precious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
wpf or really any xaml based ui framework