Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

darealkooky posted:

whitesnake kinda having it's own personality, having a huge range but also being a very strong physical stand

Uh... these aren't traits exclusive to Whitesnake.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I was just nitpicking to make my list of all the poo poo whitesnake can do bigger

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I kind of wish the sons of Dio got more screentime. Untaro was kind of pathetic but Versace was fun and Rykiel was :black101: as heck.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the idea that Dio had a really really fuckin ugly son who looked like he was inbred and suffered from the innsmouth look

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of Dio's sons, I'm really amazed how that translation of Vento Aureo manages to make Giorno seem boring considering that the plot of Part V is revolves around the story of a boy who found out his dad was a vampire and decided to rebel against him by joining the boy band mafia and carrying around a turtle that had a pocket dimension inside of its shell so that he could find the leader of the gang and super life punch him in the face for selling drugs to his side of town.

Also, he literally turned into a Super Saiyan due to his shonen bloodline awakening.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

It's almost like Pucci's stand was so strong that it had the potential to destroy the Universe

it's not his stand he stole it from dio

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
It was a present from Dio to Pucci, much like the entire length of Dio's cock

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

FirstAidKite posted:

I guess the worst fight might be the one with jack the ripper mainly because it's never really a threatening fight, Jonathan just kinda blows him up with ripple. Tho Jack did hide inside of a dead horse, as well as having that weirdass mechanical monstrosity he was trying to attack Jonathan with.

Things that rocked about the Jack fight:

COURAGE BUG SPEECH
Hiding in a horse
Flex Scalpels
Weird mechanical monstrosity

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
From Araki:

I was thinking about how strong enemies show up in manga. After them, an even stronger enemy shows up, and after them, an even stronger one... so what happens at the very end? It's kind of like thinking about the edges of the universe. Once you look about the world, you realize that what it really means to be a "strong" person is not to do bad things.
"An enemy who does bad things" is a person who has "a spiritual weakness," and what's truly scary is when someone takes that weakness and uses it to lash out against others.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The protagonist of JoJo Part 6 is a woman. Why a 『woman』? That's where it gets tricky.
She's a JoJo protagonist, so she's gotta be tough enough to not get disheartened even if she gets punched in the face. But sometimes she might be crawling around a ditch, or she might have her legs spread open and fall from the top of a building. Having it be a woman is a bit of a tricky setup.
But thinking about that gap, it actually seemed interesting. And it could be a person with great humanity like the Virgin Mary. I felt I just had to make the protagonist a woman.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Did they ever explain why Pucci, after fusing with Green Baby, could apparently age things? There's shots of half an egg having aged into chicks, and a baby where half of it has become adult. That kinda doesn't fit with anything C-Moon or Made in Heaven does later on...

That being said, Whitesnake's illusion ability kinda bothered me. It gets used three times (Manhattan Transfer, disguising as Weather Report, making the Underworld dude take the hit), but it just... doesn't fit. That and the CD thing seem like two completely unrelated abilities! Also, I kinda hated the Manhattan Transfer fight, because 80% of it didn't actually happen and felt like a waste of time. When you think about it, the Manhattan Transfer dude doesn't even do anything. Just... tries to shoot Jotaro once, gets wrecked, then shot. Kinda lame.
Pucci's CD ability was hilarious and really entertaining, though. He didn't even need the illusion ability (another sign how nonsensical and stupid that one is) - the CD ability provides everything the story needs.

That being said, the Dragon's Dream fight still sucks. :colbert: Oh, and Bohemian Rhapsody too, because it has a funny ending, but the entire "fight" before it has absolutely no purpose, and the Stand user doesn't even do anything...

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I liked the Dragon's Dream fight, but I do agree with the fact Manhattan Transfer's fight and Pucci's illusion ability kinda sucking.
I'm guessing the whole time distortion thing that Pucci was experiencing was the side effects of his stand evolving or something.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Did they ever explain why Pucci, after fusing with Green Baby, could apparently age things? There's shots of half an egg having aged into chicks, and a baby where half of it has become adult. That kinda doesn't fit with anything C-Moon or Made in Heaven does later on...

made in heaven speeds time forward really fast

when stuff goes forward in time it gets older, because made in heaven goes fast they age fast

also something something gravity because pucci's stand was still freaking the gently caress out after eating the green baby and hadn't turned into c-moon yet during that scene

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I like the idea that Dio had a really really fuckin ugly son who looked like he was inbred and suffered from the innsmouth look

was he actually ugly, or was it just an arakified faces of meth thing going on?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It was a present from Dio to Pucci, much like the entire length of Dio's cock

just the tip

Torquemadras posted:

That's just made in heaven trying to manifest itself.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

darealkooky posted:

made in heaven speeds time forward really fast

when stuff goes forward in time it gets older, because made in heaven goes fast they age fast

also something something gravity because pucci's stand was still freaking the gently caress out after eating the green baby and hadn't turned into c-moon yet during that scene

B-But Made In Heaven explicitly doesn't affect living things, so it couldn't have aged organisms in any - in - I mean - I -

Yeah ok, Araki-style plot

...still, though, I hope we get to see some of the plot hooks for future parts in the Stardust Crusaders second half. Like Pucci and his bodyguard actually appearing, or something about Giorno and the other sons, maybe that the Stand arrows exist, and what Polnareff is up to right after they defeat DIO. It would be a nice way of introducing continuity where most definitely none was intended when Part 3 was written...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stone Ocean is great because it is Araki at his most Araki. A bunch of half realised ideas that get dropped and completely insane stand powers culminating in rainbow snails. Concentrated Araki is not for everyone and honestly, is probably the reason it's not my favourite arc. But it's still got some amazing ideas and stands and a lot of the time the sheer craziness is really enjoyable (INVISIBLE ZOMBIE ALLIGATORS). Also, it's got a really enjoyable crew, even Annasui after he becomes Weather's sidekick once they're out of prison.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's really scary thinking how many more collages they could make.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

B-But Made In Heaven explicitly doesn't affect living things, so it couldn't have aged organisms in any - in - I mean - I -

Yeah ok, Araki-style plot

...still, though, I hope we get to see some of the plot hooks for future parts in the Stardust Crusaders second half. Like Pucci and his bodyguard actually appearing, or something about Giorno and the other sons, maybe that the Stand arrows exist, and what Polnareff is up to right after they defeat DIO. It would be a nice way of introducing continuity where most definitely none was intended when Part 3 was written...

They already showed the Arrow in the OP.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Oh, that's cool. But I remember seeing manga pages of Jolyne in the Phantom Blood opening as well...

I'd just like to see an indication that Dio and Enya created Stand users with the arrows. I don't think it's a retcon that they suddenly appeared in Part 4, since we never got to know all that much about Dio's operation in Part 3 and it's completely plausible, but having them appear towards the end would be a nice acknowledgement.

And besides, we're probably gonna get a teaser for Part 4 in the final episode anyway, so they might as well!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

But I remember seeing manga pages of Jolyne in the Phantom Blood opening as well...

Jolyne, Giorno, Josuke, Jotaro, Joseph, and then Jonathan.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Silver2195 posted:

They also showed Hermit Purple in Battle Tendency's OP. Those are just easter eggs, though, not plot hooks.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Torquemadras posted:

C-MOON has gravity control, so presumably before it settles down into "3 km sphere of antigravity" and "turn people inside out via tidal forces" powers, it briefly flickers through something similar to Ball Breaker.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

darealkooky posted:

or by the artwork in stone ocean having lots of really bad anatomy and other weirdness going to the point where understanding what the hell any particular panel is conveying a little difficult because everything just blends into each-other

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

What exactly are you trying to say? Besides the wonky anatomy (something everyone had in part 2 because it was the 80's) that's some pretty solid art.

I was talking about the fight scenes, and while the fight scenes in part 2 have wonky anatomy you can actually tell what the hell is going on.

part 6 is decades later and has fight scenes with bullshit like this in it

can you honestly tell me you know 100% what's going on here? this isn't even something that gets explained by words right after so you can understand what the gently caress that mess of lines you just saw actually is (like a lot of the bad art in stone ocean) so you're sol

you can't even say the anatomy is better because it's full of poo poo like this and deformed elf people

it's like the art in stone ocean, with the exception of the design of the main characters, devolved back to how araki was drawing back in the 80's. hell, it's probably worse because at least back then he would bother to finish the backgrounds, in stone ocean half the time the walls or floor just give up and turn into a white void

like maybe he just got burned out after drawing jojo every week (especially in parts 4/5 where he went crazy with the background detail) for 15 odd years, but the art in stone ocean is bad.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

please don't post the few good bits of art where araki spends more than 10 seconds doing something (like the wide panning shots of the prison or some pucci close ups), or post really bad art from other parts because it'll make me look like a fool and I have the self esteem of a house of cards.

also because the bad art good:art ratio is heavily towards bad art in stone ocean and stone ocean is the result of nearly two decades of someone drawing vs someone who's more inexperienced

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
They're punching and kicking each other.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Yeah, but there is no sense of motion or flow.

For what it's worth, I think darealkooky has some good points about Part 6. Fights were hard to follow at times, and the characters didn't have enough interesting interactions. It never felt like Jolyne was making any progress until they broke out of jail.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what does that even MEAN

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Oh yeah, he's making lots of completely valid points. I just think he's a little bitch.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the image I posted for "wtf is this" is actually probably the old man jumping off a dead body towards jolyne

or FF jumping off a dead body because the next page has her jumping into the scene

anyway, duh you get that they're fighting but why even be a comic book if you need words to get any context at all about what is happening

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I already agreed with and called you a bitch teeth guy, settle down

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If you want to easily know what's going in a fight, JoJo is the wrong manga to read.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Ah poo poo there's a lot of whiny teeth guys... could this be the work of an enemy stand??

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ah poo poo there's a lot of whiny teeth guys... could this be the work of an enemy stand??

It's just the one, don't lump all of us unfortunate「mouths」together.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Girls, girls

You're both pretty

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
What's up with the mouth avs anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal