Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bicyclops posted:

One of the cruelest things I ever did to my fiance was to convince her that David Tennant's last episode was that one before the cliffhanger. I am glad we're perpetrating the same crime on our newby reviewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

I certainly hope you have watched Journey's End by now, because you have no business being here otherwise.

What did you think of Matt Smith?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, hello, Toxx. Be careful, reading this thread may spoil the audio stories for you, or possibly the children's science story that McCoy did in the eighties.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxx said that Occ just drive-bys and drops gifs without reading.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Oxx said that Occ just drive-bys and drops gifs without reading.

I think he'd have a hard time quoting without reading.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nobody tell him that in The Next Doctor special, it turns out that Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
That gif is also from Journeys End :ssh:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Nobody tell him that in The Next Doctor special, it turns out that Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

Now you've ruined Die Hard for me!

Really though, I'm more excited for what comes after Journey's End. :getin:

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

I'm guessing you weren't a fan then.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

RTD never fails to disappoint.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'm gonna post this in the review thread when it reopens, but I want all of you to see it here as well.

After talking it over with Deapool, instituting some new punishments for being spoilery in the review thread.

First offense: 24 hour probation, IE, if I have to edit your post, at all.
Second offense: Three days and you're not allowed to post in the thread anymore.
If you post in the thread after that, it's a month.

The thread was great for over a month, so it can be done! But it seems like now every time we get to a big event a few people have to be "cute" and ruin stuff. Please don't do that. Post all that stuff in this thread all you want.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Also whenever Occ posts a quick blurb about the episode while he's watching, everyone takes it as opening the flood gate for opinions instead of waiting for the drat review

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

armoredgorilla posted:

Also whenever Occ posts a quick blurb about the episode while he's watching, everyone takes it as opening the flood gate for opinions instead of waiting for the drat review

I would actually like clarification on this, because I assumed that once he started talking about an episode, it was fair game (and he was just taking his time to write up the review). Maybe I was wrong.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I would actually like clarification on this, because I assumed that once he started talking about an episode, it was fair game (and he was just taking his time to write up the review). Maybe I was wrong.

The thread is ostensibly about the reviews, so it doesn't make too much sense to me to discuss episodes on their own when we should be discussing the episodes within the context of the reviews.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Timby posted:

Just to be fair ... considering we change threads about as often as as underwear, saying they're right here is a meaningless statement until archives become searchable, which will happen sometime around the heat death of the universe. I've been thinking about giving the audios a shot again and have always largely liked your insights regarding the TV show and have often thought it would be great if you just had a blogspot or something for reference.

In that case, here's an index I've everything I've posted. Some reviews are incredibly short, and I can't seem to find what I wrote on The End of Time or most of season one of the 8th Doctor Adventures at all, but everything else should be covered. Man I write a lot about Doctor Who :sweatdrop:

Edit: Oh yeah, and be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

4th Doctor
The Renaissance Man

5th Doctor
The Land of the Dead | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea

6th Doctor
The Marian Conspiracy | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Whispers of Terror | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | Davros | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water

7th Doctor
The Fearmonger | The Fires of Vulcan | Dust Breeding | Colditz | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34

8th Doctor
Monthly Range
Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat
8th Doctor Adventures
Phobos | Human Resources 1 | Human Resources 2

9th Doctor
Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways

10th Doctor
Season 2
The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday

Season 3
The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash

Season 4
Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End

Year of Specials
The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time

11th Doctor
Season 5
The Eleventh Hour (kinda) | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol

Season 6
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe

Season 7
Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor

Big Finish Specials
The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 20, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lets Kill Hitler is a bad episode with a lot of good moments. This is the one correct opinion for the rest of time.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Pwnstar posted:

Lets Kill Hitler is a bad episode with a lot of good moments. This is the one correct opinion for the rest of time.

Aside from Rory being Rory, what were the other good moments?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rannos22 posted:

Gay gypsy bat mitzvah for the disabled.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rannos22 posted:

The Doctor deciding to just throw caution to the wind and flat out tell Hitler that the English are coming to kick his rear end. The Teselecta is a really cool concept. River getting to act out the "oooh, a new body!" that is usually the province of the Doctor post-regeneration alone was a lot of fun. The set design was excellent. Hitler shot Mels who was somehow a more despicable and hated creature than Hitler himself. Hitler gets humiliated, punched and thrown unceremoniously in a closet and left to stew in there for the rest of the episode.

There is a lot of awful stuff in there too, a lot of TERRIBLE stuff, but Pwnstar is right, it is a bad episode with a lot of good moments. Season 6 itself is pretty "bad" as a season long story, but has some of the best individual episodes of the revival's entire run.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can I just take this opportunity to point out that the wiki's page on Adolf Hitler is loving mindblowing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Can I just take this opportunity to point out that the wiki's page on Adolf Hitler is loving mindblowing.

TARDISWiki is a shithole.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I distinctly remember seeing Let's Kill Hitler, but I couldn't give you any details of it even if I wanted to. It's all blank. I'm not even kidding, it's not like those "Star Wars Episode I? What's that?" spergs. Jerusalem's post mentioned shoving Hitler into a closet and that sounded vaguely familiar, like I'd read it in a book ten years ago.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

TARDISWiki is a shithole.

It's been useful to find out the order of tv serials and audios. But I wouldn't want to use it for anything deeper.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Can you give us a choice example without us having to go near the wiki ourselves?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can you give us a choice example without us having to go near the wiki ourselves?

On 30 April 1945, near the end of the war, the Doctor, Lethbridge-Stewart, Claire Aldwych and Hitler's son visited Hitler in his bunker. Hitler's son had forced the Doctor to take him back in time to meet his father. Aided by the Doctor's prior 'friendship' with him influencing his decision to believe the Doctor over this stranger with his face and name, Hitler dismissed his son as a madman and shot him. Shortly afterwards, he committed suicide rather than face defeat. (PROSE: The Shadow in the Glass)

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor deciding to just throw caution to the wind and flat out tell Hitler that the English are coming to kick his rear end. The Teselecta is a really cool concept. River getting to act out the "oooh, a new body!" that is usually the province of the Doctor post-regeneration alone was a lot of fun. The set design was excellent. Hitler shot Mels who was somehow a more despicable and hated creature than Hitler himself. Hitler gets humiliated, punched and thrown unceremoniously in a closet and left to stew in there for the rest of the episode.

There is a lot of awful stuff in there too, a lot of TERRIBLE stuff, but Pwnstar is right, it is a bad episode with a lot of good moments. Season 6 itself is pretty "bad" as a season long story, but has some of the best individual episodes of the revival's entire run.

A lot of those moments sound good on paper and then you recall that River Smug was involved in them and it sours the whole thing. Also the teslecta thing makes no sense if you think about it for a moment and unfortunately the uneven lurching pacing of this episode gives plenty of time for reflection on things like that as well as the mistakes you've made in life that lead up to the point where you're rewatching series 6 episodes.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Look it's Brigadier. *he flies off*. Okay then

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Damnit, did we have the review thread closed whilst Occ was watching so he couldn't post rage comments midway through

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Damnit, did we have the review thread closed whilst Occ was watching so he couldn't post rage comments midway through

It was closed till the next review is written because people were trying to be clever and give away what happened in the next episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BSam posted:

On 30 April 1945, near the end of the war, the Doctor, Lethbridge-Stewart, Claire Aldwych and Hitler's son visited Hitler in his bunker. Hitler's son had forced the Doctor to take him back in time to meet his father. Aided by the Doctor's prior 'friendship' with him influencing his decision to believe the Doctor over this stranger with his face and name, Hitler dismissed his son as a madman and shot him. Shortly afterwards, he committed suicide rather than face defeat. (PROSE: The Shadow in the Glass)

Okay, I got halfway through that and my brain stopped being able to read words. I suspect it did so to protect itself.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MikeJF posted:

In which case I'll take the oppurtunity here to say gently caress you occ, i'm coming second last, I was second first at one point why did you go wrong!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdlAmN83pME

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MikeJF posted:

No, it was locked because it's serious poo poo.

It even has its own rules and probations now.

Any way... I'd like to throw my hat in the ring and say that I'd love to do Secret Santa again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wow, he really is the Doctor IRL.

And I just love his voice! It's at the same time not one I would have put to his face, and exactly what he 'should' sound like.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PriorMarcus posted:

No, it was locked because it's serious poo poo.

It was locked by the thread starter because people were being idiots. SERIOUS poo poo

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's absolutely mindblowing to think that there was a time when people didn't know that Tom Baker likes to go to the pub.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm considering doing a Regenerated Dr Who Toxx Guessing game, but either I need to find a way to make score spread out more or run it over a longer period of time. Currently I'm wondering about running over the duration of the Amy/Rory Companionship so 2 and a half season. Thoughts? General feedback?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm considering doing a Regenerated Dr Who Toxx Guessing game, but either I need to find a way to make score spread out more or run it over a longer period of time. Currently I'm wondering about running over the duration of the Amy/Rory Companionship so 2 and a half season. Thoughts? General feedback?

Why not keep it simple and run it over the entire Matt Smith run?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

That's the other option really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

That's the other option really

It's only a half season longer and allows you to get more varied results. Maybe you could do something special for the 50th too but I'm not sure what that would be.

• Locked thread