Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
天下太平, 滿地黃金

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

天下太平, 滿地黃金
天下太貧,滿地荒荊

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Thanks for the input on "Carnegie's", guys.
In what must be my most stereotypically laowai week I've had yet, I've got a new dilemma.
I've been invited on a Taiwanese talk show where the topic is : "歐美女生看台灣男生(感情,生活...)" (How white girls see Taiwanese guys [feelings, lifestyle...])
Does anyone know anything about this show/going on TV in general? Do you all feel like it is a good platform for communication or just being made into a foreign monkey? I don't even have a TV so I really don't know what to make of this.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

hitension posted:

In what must be my most stereotypically laowai week I've had yet, I've got a new dilemma.
I've been invited on a Taiwanese talk show where the topic is : "歐美女生看台灣男生(感情,生活...)" (How white girls see Taiwanese guys [feelings, lifestyle...])
Does anyone know anything about this show/going on TV in general? Do you all feel like it is a good platform for communication or just being made into a foreign monkey? I don't even have a TV so I really don't know what to make of this.

Go on it if you want to be a dancing monkey for some knuckle-dragging racist TV watchers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I will pay you 5000nt to go on that show and instead of answering just say something about how "Taiwanese girls are easy".

I'd pay you more but if you do a convincing enough job you should get a half dozen more bookings of people wanting you to say the same crap on their equally offensive talk show.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hitension posted:

You didn't say which show it is.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

Do you all feel like it is a good platform for communication or just being made into a foreign monkey? I don't even have a TV so I really don't know what to make of this.
If it weren't for the topic, I'd say go for it. We need more of us on TV being normal loving people so more locals stop thinking we're either retarded, permanently hard, or terrifying mystical creatures. Unfortunately that's just going to be some cartoon bullshit because it's about relationships, so unless you want to get into TV or become the next whatever that Russian girl who hosed her way to celebrity is called, I say nay.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 12, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

fart simpson posted:

You didn't say which show it is.

WTO姊妹會, they don't let white people on other shows unless they're celebrities.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

e: ^ Actually it's 大學生了沒 but I really can't tell the difference between these shows

Haha, that bad huh?
I had a few classmates do one about night market food that seemed pretty innocuous but this particular topic sounds like it could go to hell real fast...
I too like to go on TV and just be a normal person and let Taiwan know foreigners are just normal people. But I have a feeling they will push the dialogue towards stand-up comedian style "White girls do THIS, but Asian guys do THAT" generalizations

hitension fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 12, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It won't go to hell fast at all, it already started there.

e:

hitension posted:

e: ^ Actually it's 大學生了沒 but I really can't tell the difference between these shows
You know, that might not be so bad. I haven't watched a lot of that show, but it seems to have a sense of humor at least.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 12, 2014

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

This reminds me of an Apple Daily article
http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/life/20141014/487401

Literally the entire article is just "Pretty Russian girl studies in Taiwan". I kept waiting for actual news to occur but there was none. Around NTU/NTNU/NCCU it's not even that rare to see a pretty foreign girl! WTF

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hitension posted:

tmk the show is okayish "eh, it's on" fodder, it normally just has Taiwanese people on it so it's much less of a foreigner monkey show. I'd say go ahead and go on it as it could open doors into doing variety show work if you care about that kinda thing.

I know a guy who goes on variety shows occasionally and it's just talking about/on whatever the topic of the day is - he never has to do/say stupid or cloying stuff.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

Literally the entire article is just "Pretty Russian girl studies in Taiwan". I kept waiting for actual news to occur but there was none. Around NTU/NTNU/NCCU it's not even that rare to see a pretty foreign girl! WTF
"Pretty girl does thing, is pretty" is basically the squirrel on waterskis of Taiwanese news media.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
In a country where people have strippers at funerals,

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

TetsuoTW posted:

"Pretty girl does thing, is pretty" is basically the squirrel on waterskis of Taiwanese news media.

That reminds me of the other volleyball chick that around 1% of the white people I knew, thought was attractive. While all the Asian guys I knew were spamming her link all over Facebook. Ahh well it works out best for everyone involved...well actually only the Asian guys who are rich enough to date Russian girls.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

hitension posted:

It's apple daily so it's naturally trashy. It's only good for anti mainland news because everyone else self censors

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The show is starting from a racially charged premise. It's literally about race. The only way that could be any fun is to go in there and try to troll everyone by insisting that white people are elves with night vision and immortality.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

Russian girl who hosed her way to celebrity is called, I say nay.

Who is this? Oh and the tv station better pay you well to be on their tv show.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

The show is starting from a racially charged premise. It's literally about race. The only way that could be any fun is to go in there and try to troll everyone by insisting that white people are elves with night vision and immortality.

And make money from the station

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Talk about the lack of penis spines in Asian men. Just frame every answer around it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

Who is this? Oh and the tv station better pay you well to be on their tv show.
瑪格莉特, as I found after some Googling. One day she just showed up on TV and was suddenly someone we're supposed to give a poo poo about. Apparently she totally didn't gently caress Zhang Fei and then totally wasn't banging a TV exec. Then it seems like she just kind of vanished a couple of years ago. I think 瑞莎 proably ate her lunch by virtue of being younger and capable of being more than a mediocre clothes-hanger.

caberham posted:

It's apple daily so it's naturally trashy. It's only good for anti mainland news because everyone else self censors
I know over your way Apple Daily is basically toilet paper, and it is here too, but it's also one of the closest things to journalism over here.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I know over your way Apple Daily is basically toilet paper, and it is here too, but it's also one of the closest things to journalism over here.

Which is why The China Post keeps copies of it around the office to copy stories out of!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

瑪格莉特, as I found after some Googling. One day she just showed up on TV and was suddenly someone we're supposed to give a poo poo about. Apparently she totally didn't gently caress Zhang Fei and then totally wasn't banging a TV exec. Then it seems like she just kind of vanished a couple of years ago.

No wikipedia entry, and google thought it was the name of the abstract artist René François Ghislain Magritte

Here's a mundane video, guess this gets passed for news huh, Taiwan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Crfb0n7Fks

quote:

I think 瑞莎 proably ate her lunch by virtue of being younger and capable of being more than a mediocre clothes-hanger.

Guess she acted in a few movies and has a wiki article. Interesting to know that you get your token bit foreign actors everywhere in the world :neckbeard:

quote:

We got dudes who poured soy sauce all over the paper and trucks tried to actually block the press. So like it or not, people are buying Apple Daily just to support free speech :china:

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

I love how that article tries to make it sound like naturalizing to ROC nationality is totally the fault of the OTHER countries for not allowing dual citizenship when really it's Taiwan that forces citizens to abandon their original citizenship before naturalizing, leaving them stateless for however long the naturalization application process takes (and perhaps forever if it is rejected). Oh and Taiwan-born citizens don't have to give up their ROC citizenship if they acquire a dual citizenship.

I mean, the situation is still better than China I guess... was reading about how basically no foreigners can get permanent residency there? WTF? So you just renew your visa every 1-3 years for perpetuity?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hitension posted:

I love how that article tries to make it sound like naturalizing to ROC nationality is totally the fault of the OTHER countries for not allowing dual citizenship when really it's Taiwan that forces citizens to abandon their original citizenship before naturalizing, leaving them stateless for however long the naturalization application process takes (and perhaps forever if it is rejected). Oh and Taiwan-born citizens don't have to give up their ROC citizenship if they acquire a dual citizenship.

I mean, the situation is still better than China I guess... was reading about how basically no foreigners can get permanent residency there? WTF? So you just renew your visa every 1-3 years for perpetuity?

Hey that WAS the case but Obama and Xi just had a pow-wow and now you can get 10 year visas (AMERICANS ONLY).

Also :lol: if anyone actually wants to live in the PRC forever.

e: Foreign experts can get 5 year visas if the company has the right paperwork. Still, renewing your visa is a very trivial thing to do if you have all your paperwork in line/are legally supposed to be here. It takes like 1~hour of sitting in a waiting room to drop off some papers then coming back to pick them up a week later. Hell, normally your company will just make a secretary or someone do it for you so it's basically one week you're stuck and can't travel.

99% of the crazy Chinese visa stories people tell are when they get recruited to teach ESL by a sketchy company who has them come over on a tourist visa, then games the system in ways/guanxi to get them a semi-legal working visa/a longer-duration tourist visa. People who work for companies who do all the footwork and stuff legally have zero issues with visas and visa-related stuff.

Though to be honest, I know plenty of people out of ESL who have perfectly "legal" Z visas they probably shouldn't (China mandates 5+ years working experience to even qualify for non-ESL working visas now and seems to be enforcing it, so all these 28 year olds with Master's degrees probably are missing at least a couple years), so I think non-ESL companies are just better at bending the rules since if they're hiring foreigners they really, really need people with specific skills to fill a role and are willing for fork over the cash and maotai to get this stuff done.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 13, 2014

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
For the TV show I suggest you create an entirely bogus theory on the way in which iris color and eye folds effect vision and answer everything according to your faux science in literal ways.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sogol posted:

For the TV show I suggest you create an entirely bogus theory on the way in which iris color and eye folds effect vision and answer everything according to your faux science in literal ways.

Sogol?!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Getting permanent residence in Taiwan is pretty drat easy and the only thing that really separates me from citizenship I guess is the inability to vote which also separates a lot of legitimate Taiwanese citizens from their own citizenship so no harm no foul I guess?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If I ever got to vote in Taiwan I would only against the people who have the loudest truck ads.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hitension posted:

You can but you have to do something like build several hospitals from what I've heard. It's the equivalent of getting your gently caress up kid into an ivy league school when you're a millionaire.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GoutPatrol posted:

If I ever got to vote in Taiwan I would only against the people who have the loudest truck ads.

There are like three campaign centers in my neighborhood. I don't get one truck, I get three.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Interstellar was great and terrible.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

If I ever got to vote in Taiwan I'd be sorely tempted to just take a poo poo in whatever you put your votes in here.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

If I ever got to vote in Taiwan I'd be sorely tempted to just take a poo poo in whatever you put your votes in here.

That's fine, they don't use that box for votes anyway.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

So thats one for Sean Lien then?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

When one side proves "educated" doesn't mean "smart" and the other proves money can't buy brains, a turd's indistinguishable from an actual vote.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 13, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

You mean ETERNAL BATTLE

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

You mean ETERNAL BATTLE
No, his son, Words of Eternal Victory.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are those what the posters/trucks with a guy on a cloudy sky background and a number about? Elections? I thought they were ads for a weather channel. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

There's a giant poster in my neighborhood where the candidate, a woman, is dressed like a fantasy mmo character and pointing a sword at the camera. I'd vote for her (if I could) just for that, even if her campaign platform was "deport all foreigners."