Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Data Graham posted:

To most Americans who haven't had a lot of global exposure or culinary curiosity, the concept of a "meat pie" sounds ridiculous. ("Chicken pot pie" is a weird kind of novelty exception.)

A Michigan pasty is basically a handheld meat pie though and I think a lot of midwesterners will know of it as well. Pretty regional still though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a shame that meat pie is hard to find in America, because flaky, baked dough is delicious with every single food

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

fermun posted:

A Michigan pasty is basically a handheld meat pie though and I think a lot of midwesterners will know of it as well. Pretty regional still though.

That's a Cornish Pasty.

Apparantly it exists in Michigan because a load of Cornish tin miners settled in the area.

Proper Cornish pasties from Cornwall are good and don't belong in this thread.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
True story, nobody in my family liked the sweet potato casserole my mom used to make at thanksgiving. It was a gloppy white sugar mess with weird flavoring.

Once I really started cooking I was helping during thanksgiving and she admitted she did not like sweet potatoes but loved toasted marshmallows. Her casserole was the smallest can of sweet potato she could find, spread over a full size casserole dish and 2 big bags of marshmallows.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

fermun posted:

Yeah that's a Cornish pasty and you can buy them in every single supermarket or bakers in the UK, plus there are little stalls in train stations that just sell pasties. They are also very easy to make at home (we even have a pasty press).

I love American pies e.g. pumpkin because I love American food but you guys need to learn the joy of steak pies, chicken & mushroom pies, shepherd's pie, meat and potato pie...

You can start with this book, you're welcome: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hairy-Bikers-Perfect-Pies/dp/0297863258/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1415783328

Saying that I live in the Netherlands now and they don't have pies aside from "Dutch apple pie" which features pastry made out of old shoe leather.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What does a dutch apple pie entail over there? Over here it's something really tasty involving a crumbled mess on the top instead of a solid crust.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pomp posted:

What does a dutch apple pie entail over there? Over here it's something really tasty involving a crumbled mess on the top instead of a solid crust.

Most people would know Dutch apple pies from a Burger King menu item, it's an apple pie with thin crust and some crumbly bits on top.

SidBo
Feb 9, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

can of sweet potato

It comes in cans? Potatoes in cans?

Like chicken, and cheese in a can, that's hosed up.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SidBo posted:

It comes in cans? Potatoes in cans?

Like chicken, and cheese in a can, that's hosed up.
Prepare to be amazed/disgusted, I guess?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Hirayuki posted:

I am deeply, deeply concerned by "Ham-Style Flavor."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Turfahurf posted:

My entire family is from northshore Massachusetts and I grew up in Vermont and had no idea sweet potato casserole with marshmallows was not a Thanksgiving staple nationwide. I mean we don't make it because my mom & I are the only ones who like sweet potatoes and the marshmallows are a little much for me but I've never met someone who was unfamiliar with it.

My dad's (CT) family are admittedly poo poo at thanksgiving. One year my aunt brought brussels sprouts in blue cheese sauce; if I had a picture of that it would fit neatly in this thread.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fermun posted:

Yeah, I mean, we have all these things. It's just that it never occurs to us to call them "pies" because to us a "pie" has apples or cherries or blueberries in it and whipped cream on top and is cooling on Grandma's windowsill where a thief in a striped shirt and domino mask can easily reach it.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
That's probably because a lot of the things that people are calling "pies", like "Shepard's Pie", which is delicious and I eat at any chance I get, is usually something we would consider a "casserole" and not a traditional "(sweet) pie", regardless of the name.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

pentyne posted:

Most people would know Dutch apple pies from a Burger King menu item, it's an apple pie with thin crust and some crumbly bits on top.

That's an American Dutch apple pie, not a Dutch Dutch apple pie.

I have no idea how similar the filling is, it doesn't look too similar. Dutch apple pies are served cold, very solid inside, very spiced, loads of squelchy raisins/currants. Looking at recipes and comparing them I don't think they'd come out too similar either.

Here's a recipe but it is of course in Dutch: http://www.ah.nl/allerhande/recept/R-R497796/ouderwets-lekkere-appeltaart

:iiam:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know where the idea that meat pies are totally unknown in the US came from, I've seen them all over the upper midwest. Cornish pasties, shepherd's pie, even mince pies are pretty well known, at least in Wisconsin/Michigan.

That sweet potato dessert thing though? Never heard of it. I guess it might be good, but the inherent sweetness of the potatoes always seemed to go best with savory stuff. Maybe I'll make some for Thanksgiving and see if people like it.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Everyone is complaining about sweet potato casserole but the true heinous southern Thanksgiving/Christmas dish is ambrosia.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Your guys' minds must be blown by sweet potato pie. Which is in a pastry crust and sweet, served identically to pumpkin pie.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hummingbirds posted:

Everyone is complaining about sweet potato casserole but the true heinous southern Thanksgiving/Christmas dish is ambrosia.
Ambrosia is poor white trash in a bowl, but drat if it isn't delicious. I make it for Easter now and then and try to keep other people from eating it.

Also, I can't say "ambrosia" without channeling the British Fops from SNL.

Agatha Crispies
Jan 15, 2010

Contains 100% daily dose of little grey cells

Hummingbirds posted:

Oh man, ambrosia salad. Every Thanksgiving. My aunt liked to add snickers pieces to her recipe.

gently caress it, more salad:

Sweet macaroni salad!

INGREDIENTS:
250 gm elbow macaroni
250 ml mayonnaise
1/2 bottle kaong (sweet palm fruit) red/green
1 can condensed milk
1 can nestle cream
1/4 cup raisins
1 med size Del Monte Fruit Cocktail
1 cup cheddar cheese

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Agatha Crispies posted:

250 gm elbow macaroni
I've read it as "ebola macaroni" and I guess they might as well be.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Agatha Crispies posted:

Oh man, ambrosia salad. Every Thanksgiving. My aunt liked to add snickers pieces to her recipe.

Sweet macaroni salad!

INGREDIENTS:
250 gm elbow macaroni
250 ml mayonnaise
1 can condensed milk
1 can nestle cream
1/4 cup raisins
1 cup cheddar cheese

Did someone say macaroni salad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Agatha Crispies posted:

Sweet macaroni salad!

INGREDIENTS:
250 gm elbow macaroni
250 ml mayonnaise
1 can condensed milk
1 can nestle cream
1/4 cup raisins
1 cup cheddar cheese

I feel like they did the bi-colored apple just to fancy up the picture.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

To fancy up the picture of the inside of a fridge with a big box of Zingers and dollar store tortillas. One might say that's some misplaced effort.

Jesus Christ, that recipe though :barf:

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't know where the idea that meat pies are totally unknown in the US came from, I've seen them all over the upper midwest. Cornish pasties, shepherd's pie, even mince pies are pretty well known, at least in Wisconsin/Michigan.

Hate to add more to the pie confusion, but mince pies are sweet.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Hirayuki posted:

These are okay for making quick home fries.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

fermun posted:

Yes, if you live in the Midwest literally like half of what your Mom or Grandma makes is like, casseroles or a savory pie type thing (for me Shepherd's Pie, home-made leftover roast beef pot pie, Chicken and dumplings, tater tot hotdish, breadcrumb meatloaf) as previously mentioned. I live in southern Minnesota and frequently travel through Wisconsin and Michigan and we all eat this stuff up. Sweet potatoes with marshmallows and brown sugar is also a thing literally every Thanksgiving, and it is a great dessert side dish. Pasties especially are ridiculously common in Michigan all around the state.

Also if pumpkin pie was not sweet at all I would throw up trying to eat it :barf: that sounds so nasty.

edit: Ambrosia is loving delicious and I will fight whoever says otherwise :colbert:
The macaroni salads are my biggest shame from Midwestern food, they are all almost always loaded with mayonnaise and it grosses the poo poo out of me.

How Rude has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Nov 12, 2014

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Hummingbirds posted:

Every year at Thanksgiving each person over the age of 12 is expected to make a dish. My dad usually does the turkey, my aunt likes to do the stuffing, I always bake pies, etc.

My sister does not cook things besides cous cous and coconut rice, so every year we get a big bowl of ambrosia from her. I ashamedly pick at it for the coconut flakes and every year we end up with a poo poo ton left over. It really is not good, especially when my sister doesn't drain the maraschino cherries fully and the whipped whatever-it-is gets soggy and pink.

Besides, we already have multiple pies and sweet potatoes (generally without marshmallow, but with extra brown sugar) we really don't need more sugar. Roast some zucchini or something.

Agatha Crispies
Jan 15, 2010

Contains 100% daily dose of little grey cells
I'm glad my mother only carried over tater tot hotdish and lefse from her rural North Dakota upbringing. That poor woman endured a lot of spam and lutefisk.

I found a delightful recipe for "Crown Roast."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Turfahurf posted:

My entire family is from northshore Massachusetts and I grew up in Vermont and had no idea sweet potato casserole with marshmallows was not a Thanksgiving staple nationwide. I mean we don't make it because my mom & I are the only ones who like sweet potatoes and the marshmallows are a little much for me but I've never met someone who was unfamiliar with it.

We are aware of it in San Diego, but I think that's just because of how many times you see a Thanksgiving dinner in the media. I've tried making it but ultimately it falls victim to the fact that the table already has better potatoes AND better desserts on it.

I recently dug up some cookbooks my parents received as wedding gifts, and one of them is a real gem. It's from 1967, and it's like babby's first introduction to the microwave, because it was more or less the home appliance market's first introduction to the microwave that year. Let me share with you the recipe for "pepperoni" contained therein.

Microwave Pepperoni

Ingredients:
Pepperoni, sliced

Place 9 to 15 slices of pepperoni on a folded paper towel over a dish. Microwave for 20-25 seconds. Remove, set aside to cool.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I think a lot of people fighting over whether or not we Americans know what meat pies are and about sweet potato casserole are totally forgetting that the US is a humongous country divided into 50 different parts that tend to be vastly different from each other even across short distances, much less the huge distances Alaska and Hawaii are from the continental states.

I forget, has the venerable mayonnaise sandwich come up in the thread? Two slices of white bread, between which is a thick layer of (usually Hellmann's) mayonnaise.

Ugh.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

bathroomrage posted:

I think a lot of people fighting over whether or not we Americans know what meat pies are and about sweet potato casserole are totally forgetting that the US is a humongous country divided into 50 different parts that tend to be vastly different from each other even across short distances, much less the huge distances Alaska and Hawaii are from the continental states.

I forget, has the venerable mayonnaise sandwich come up in the thread? Two slices of white bread, between which is a thick layer of (usually Hellmann's) mayonnaise.

Ugh.

I've never eaten that in my life, but I am totally guilty of eating a sandwich that's just cold cuts and mayo.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

To be fair, it's Wanda's recipe, not Sara's. Sara also makes a cute/practical taco cup with pre-made pastry dough that actually looks pretty good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

Ugh.

I could see 2 pieces of bread with a mayo spread on it like peanut butter, but that's "poor southern cuisine". Other simple dishes consist of a toast sandwich and a sugar sandwich.

Bacon butties are also a thing, but that's poor UK food.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Hummingbirds posted:

Now we're gonna fight because no one's taking my ambrosia away from me. And I'm in CA.

I always love when with my or my wife's relatives from Germany/France come over for the holidays and are horrified by the things on the table. Pumpkin pie made her cousin go all :psyduck: along with cranberry sauce. Also the vast amounts of cinnamon we put in everything during the holidays.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sex Hobbit posted:

I've never eaten that in my life, but I am totally guilty of eating a sandwich that's just cold cuts and mayo.

People who like Cold cuts are cool cats in my book.
I would kill for some good pastrami right now.

Hell any good cured beef will do.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Hummingbirds posted:

I was introduced to this by my wife's family after we had our first Thanksgiving together with her family. We're in Texas, I had never heard of it before, and her family's from Michigan, so go figure. Her mom makes two kinds: "pink salad," and "green salad." They're both sweet, just flavored with different stuff, and yes, one uses cottage cheese.

Also, in America, these are "pasties":

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pentyne posted:

Bacon butties are also a thing, but that's poor UK food.

As an American who has watched The Royle Family. I know of what you speak.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Meat pies, shepherd's pie, spinach and ricotta pie...

The only sweet pie I've had is apple, and pumpkin is a vegetable. I thought it was yet another side dish for ages.

The only. Sweet pie you've had. Is apple.

I'm not an idiot, I'm well aware that eating habits are very different all over the world. But somehow I just never considered the fact that there are modern, English speaking parts of the world that don't eat much pie. I mean, it's pie.

Do you have any idea how much sweet pie we eat in America? It would be loving bizarre for a restaurant here to not offer some kind of dessert pie. There are whole restaurant chains devoted to pie. It is not at all unusual for a restaurant to offer like a dozen different pie options at a time, and that's just a plain old diner-style restaurant, not a place that is particularly known for or that specializes in pie.

What miserable, pie-deprived corner of the planet do you live on?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiamat posted:

my husband's family makes sweet potato casserole every year for Thanksgiving and they're from CA/NY

meanwhile i'm from the midwest and had never heard of it until i met him

It's like hot dish, only made with food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

Lincoln posted:

I was introduced to this by my wife's family after we had our first Thanksgiving together with her family. We're in Texas, I had never heard of it before, and her family's from Michigan, so go figure. Her mom makes two kinds: "pink salad," and "green salad." They're both sweet, just flavored with different stuff, and yes, one uses cottage cheese.

Also, in America, these are "pasties":

Your wife's Michigander family can tell you all about pasties, you betcha.

For clarification, nipple cover pasties are pronounced paste-ees. The meat pie pasties are pronounced past-ee .

• Locked thread