Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Holy poo poo the Toxicrene is huge/wide.

I thought it was smaller than a Haruspex :stare:

e. Top of the page Tyranid supremacy om nom nom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just had a gander at IA:13 with a friend, this Lost and the Damned list is filth - 3X rapier battery + 5X Wyvern with BS3, and 100(!) mutants is 655 pts. What the loving hell.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Had a pretty awesome game with the new Nids yesterday. A guy at my club just finished putting together his Chaos Warhound and wanted to give it a spin, and asked me to put together my 'most overpowered' list to take it on. Oddly enough, within a few hours of arranging the game the new Zoanthrope rules leaked. He was fine with me using all the new WD rules, so I broke out my old Plasma Hatcher mycetic spores:

1 Flyrant
1 Malanthrope
Vanilla gaunt brood
Gaunts with devourers brood in a pod
Shockcannon Hive Guard in a pod
Six Zoans in a pod
Harridan

I think by 'most overpowered' list he expected me to bring a Hierophant to duel the titan with. He was a little dismayed to realise his double turbo-lasers couldn't shoot the Harridan, and instead managed to kill a single guant with it on the first turn thanks to the Malanthrope. Everything dropped near the Titan on turn 2, with the Zoans and Hive Guard knocked off 3 HP each. The Harridan narrowly finished it off, leaving a huge crater in the middle of his army. All it took was one more turn to mop up his various vehicles and he was tabled by turn 4. Nom nom nom.

While this was a rather tailored list, I think it bodes well for Tyranids in the future. Being able to kill a Titan in a single turn makes me feel far more confident about dealing with heavy armour in future. While the Zoans performed really well, that was an expensive unit I'd probably only run against big targets. The shockcannon Hive Guard really impressed me too, it's a very reliable way to strip 2-3 HP off a tough vehicle. Plus I have my favourite 5E unit back - 20 devourer gaunts in a pod. All in all, it was like playing with a new codex.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

I remember when that Mawloc came out and I thought "That is far too huge for the scale of this game". Even the Soul Grinder is pushing it for me. When you have a narrative about the heroic actions of individual Space Marines and infantry-sized heroes, having combatants on the battlefield that are orders of magnitude larger really seems jarring.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Painting thread crosspost. Wanted to show off these bitch of a project I've spent half a year on (you can see all 25 piled up in the background). Still very WIP. Just finished the chipping on the armor. Next step is varnish, decals, and the copper armor color (its just the basecoat right now), oils, cleanup, and finally pigments. The final product should look a lot better and I'm embarrassed how long these have taken, but at least I'm getting to the fun part!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

BULBASAUR posted:

Painting thread crosspost. Wanted to show off these bitch of a project I've spent half a year on (you can see all 25 piled up in the background). Still very WIP. Just finished the chipping on the armor. Next step is varnish, decals, and the copper armor color (its just the basecoat right now), oils, cleanup, and finally pigments. The final product should look a lot better and I'm embarrassed how long these have taken, but at least I'm getting to the fun part!

These guys are so rad. I love the knightly vibe you've got going on.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Also where are the rules for thudd guns/quad launchers? Can they be taken in normal AM lists?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lord Twisted posted:

Also where are the rules for thudd guns/quad launchers? Can they be taken in normal AM lists?

IA1 2nd edition has them. Yes, they're really good.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AgentF posted:

I remember when that Mawloc came out and I thought "That is far too huge for the scale of this game". Even the Soul Grinder is pushing it for me. When you have a narrative about the heroic actions of individual Space Marines and infantry-sized heroes, having combatants on the battlefield that are orders of magnitude larger really seems jarring.

Nah, making the aliens huge means its even more epic when Captain Space Marine punches it in the dick until it dies.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Nah, making the aliens huge means its even more epic when Captain Space Marine punches it in the dick until it dies.

i don't get it, why would a space marine be attacking a tyranid's gun

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

I do like the model and will probably pick one up eventually (along with a few new Tyrannocysts) but yeah, transporting that thing is going to be insane. It's a good thing I've decided I'm just going to magnetize all the bases and transport everything on a tray because packing that would take forever and probably still break something.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

i don't get it, why would a space marine be attacking a tyranid's gun

Because the gun is a seperate creature that also must die. A long, hard, fleshy other creature.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Direwolf posted:

Thanks for the Chaos advice, guys, it's tough because I just love my Bloodcrushers - I did a really nice job painting them and converting a Skulltaker to ride with them - but I think you're right, I might have to go full CSM.

If you wanna keep the Daemonic component, Flesh Hounds led by a Herald on a Juggernaut is a pretty tough nut. Give him a magic weapon (Etherblade/Axe of Khorne) and one of the Loci (I prefer Hatred, but Rage isn't bad either) and he and a bunch of his buddies can Scout forward and give gunlines a bad time. Some Pink Horrors or Nurglings are probably your best bet for a Troop choice there.

Also, while your list is mostly fine, the two Heldrakes stand out as a bit incongruous. I can see running one just to have a solution to Devastators and such, but you really want to put as many of those points as possible towards fast-moving threats that start on the table so as to put maximum pressure on the enemy. 340pts that don't do anything turn 1 (and possibly turn 2 or later as well) isn't really pulling its weight- some Spawn, Bikes, or even Daemonic units (Fiends, Beasts, Soul Grinder, etc) would be a much better fit, I think.

Lord Twisted posted:

Just had a gander at IA:13 with a friend, this Lost and the Damned list is filth - 3X rapier battery + 5X Wyvern with BS3, and 100(!) mutants is 655 pts. What the loving hell.

It's nice to see that Chaos finally gets something that isn't total garbage for once.

AgentF posted:

Agreed. I don't really like how GW is pushing towards bigger and bigger models- the Riptide/Trygon are on the edge of what should be present in 40K, and stuff like the new giganto-MCs and huge flyers is really offputting. Doesn't help any that they're a nightmare to transport, either.

Master Twig posted:

Because the gun is a seperate creature that also must die. A long, hard, fleshy other creature.

Look, it's just men who hang out with men spending all their time finding ways to grab ahold of huge, throbbing, organic protuberances and work at them until they explode into ooze. There's nothing at all unusual about that, or about that there absolutely cannot be any women involved not ever no matter what because Space Daddy said so.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah, it's epic space fantasy, and giant robots and monsters are an important part of the genre. Since there really is no scale of distance or time, the only real limiting factor is: can it fit and move around on a normal table. I feel for people who try to transport this stuff on airlines or long road trips, but for around town gaming, all one really needs is a cardboard box and a cheap roll of bubble wrap.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm totally down with big heroes taking down bigger monsters - it's super fitting with the fluff, and it makes for great stories when your platoon commander power fists a Bloodthirster in the junk and takes him down, or your humble sergeant brings down a Riptide with a well-placed power fist strike. I don't like it when armies have like 4 giant things though; it starts to really throw off what the game's supposed to look like in my mind. Big things are neat as a centerpiece to me, not as the meat of the army. That's "my" 40k anyway. Horus Heresy and Apocalypse are obviously different.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SRM posted:

I'm totally down with big heroes taking down bigger monsters - it's super fitting with the fluff, and it makes for great stories when your platoon commander power fists a Bloodthirster in the junk and takes him down, or your humble sergeant brings down a Riptide with a well-placed power fist strike. I don't like it when armies have like 4 giant things though; it starts to really throw off what the game's supposed to look like in my mind. Big things are neat as a centerpiece to me, not as the meat of the army. That's "my" 40k anyway. Horus Heresy and Apocalypse are obviously different.

I would like this approach too if half of the "little guys" didn't carry weapons that seriously injure/kill the big things easily and often have ability to negate some of the only defenses the big things have. The "monsters versus heroes" narrative works well if you take it at a unit-by-unit level, but mechanically it falls apart unless you want to give all my MC some ridiculous inv. save against all the lascannons, grav weapons, and other slew of ranged poo poo that tears them apart on the approach.

I had a game a while ago where a Flying Hive Tyrant assaulted a single Grey Knight in cover (the wreckage of their Land Raider) and, after failing all but one attack and failing to wound on the hit, lost its head to golf-swing of a Daemon Hammer. It was a really awesome cinematic moment and after the game I gave the dude a few 'nid bits to put on his models if he wanted as a nice gesture, but all that wouldn't have happened if I just fielded one Tyrant and no other MC because it would have been dead turn one.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 12, 2014

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Looks like GW is going all out on the Tyranid marketing. I ordered some stuff from them and received a card depicting the phases of an invasion and a Hive Tyrant pin.

They're pretty cool I guess.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Looks like GW is going all out on the Tyranid marketing. I ordered some stuff from them and received a card depicting the phases of an invasion and a Hive Tyrant pin.

They're pretty cool I guess.

Step 1. Invasion.
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Space Marines win.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Step 1. Invasion.
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Space Marines win.

Step 4. Profit! GW stocks drop :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I ordered a couple of Maulerfiends from GW a while back and got a Nagash-themed notebook. It seems this is a new standard thing they're doing to go along with whatever major release they're doing. Pretty cool marketing, I think: not enough to make people pay full retail for everything but now I am possibly going to order the new Tyranids models from GW instead of Dark Sphere.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, I got the little Nagash notebook too. It makes a nice little backdrop behind my prized old school goofy Nagash.

Also, I basically agree with SRM's stance on giant stuff, but I think it's really faction dependent. One or two giant things is enough for Eldar or Tau or even Marines, but Nids should have a lot of MCs in addition to a lot of gribblies, especially because those MCs are their tank equivalents.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Sure, Nids deserve lots of MCs, but they don't need to all be gigantohuge. Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants used to be "big," not they're some of the smallest MCs around.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Sure, Nids deserve lots of MCs, but they don't need to all be gigantohuge. Carnifexes and Hive Tyrants used to be "big," not they're some of the smallest MCs around.

Agreed. The toxicrene and maleceptor could easily have been carnifex sized. The harpy and crone for sure are oversized. Trygons, tervigons and tyrannofexes are properly sized.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

But if the models are bigger they can charge you more for them.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Looks friggin' cool. It's going to bulldoze terrain and models as you try and move it around the field though.

E: you're paint scheme is beautiful. Dem dorsal vents. :drat:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Sir Teabag posted:

E: you're paint scheme is beautiful. Dem dorsal vents. :drat:

I wish, but those ain't mine.
Here's the tutorial if you're interested though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

They used to be "big" because there were no bigger MCs, but they were never "big" compared to most vehicles on the table. They're about dread size, and I never considered those to be particularly big.

That said, I do think they should do more to make carnifexes desirable and useful instead of just releasing even more huge stuff.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

The toxicrene design is a great example of form over function. It's cool looking, but clearly had no thought whatsoever into how it would be used in a game or how it would be transported.

When (if) I get one, I'll definitely magnetize those tentacle arms, and may even leave them off during games. Or remodel them to not be so obtrusive.

I do lose sense of scale when looking at my nids. I think the zoanthropes are small and termagants are tiny, when in scale a zoanthrope is 15 feet tall and a termagant is bigger than a human.

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 12, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The Carnfiex has pretty much been downgraded from "Monstrous Creature" to "Pretty Big Creature" with all the giant kits that keep coming out. I wish they stuck with its size for some of these other big bugs.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The imperium be all like http://youtu.be/CJRdfvvZ1RU
To tyranids

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Master Twig posted:

The toxicrene design is a great example of form over function. It's cool looking, but clearly had no thought whatsoever into how it would be used in a game or how it would be transported.

Yeah, those tentacles are pretty absurd and will be a giant pain in the rear end on the table.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey, I was going to order some of those new Tyranids from Miniatures Market, but they don't seem to have them in stock. Or anything 40K. Is something up? Does anyone know when they generally get new GW stock in?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Or they could make the fex BIGGER!

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Arivia posted:

Hey, I was going to order some of those new Tyranids from Miniatures Market, but they don't seem to have them in stock. Or anything 40K. Is something up? Does anyone know when they generally get new GW stock in?

MM is in the process of clearing out all of their GW stock (everything left is 50% off, but almost nothing is left). According to a post on Dakka they are not restocking and will no longer carry GW.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, I just put in an order with Miniatures Market and got a bunch of GW stuff at 40% off. The pickings were slim though.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, those tentacles are pretty absurd and will be a giant pain in the rear end on the table.

I saw a dude on /tg/ bend the tentacles around the front so they hug the model more with hot water, looked good and was less haphazard.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

The Carnfiex has pretty much been downgraded from "Monstrous Creature" to "Pretty Big Creature" with all the giant kits that keep coming out. I wish they stuck with its size for some of these other big bugs.

On the other hands, broods of them do look loving cool.
It'd be nice if you could pod the whole brood though.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Adding more extremely blurry phone shots of the Tyranids I've been working on the past couple of days since it seems topical:

Genestealer and Ravener broods. Someone earlier in the thread said they were boring to paint, I have no idea what they are talking about.

I took off the Devourer arms from this Tyrant in order to give it Crushing Claws instead, so it can look cool leading my two broods of Carnifexes. No regrets. :getin:

Finally I've been working on some objective markers for 7th edition games. Text on flag reads "MOBILE INFANTRY".

This post might have been more suited for the painting thread but I only post 40k-related stuff in here anyway v:v:v

Mango Polo posted:

On the other hands, broods of them do look loving cool.

Sure do!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Those are seriously great paintjobs.

However, I don't know what they were thinking with those tentacles, they'll knock over so many models.

At least it's simple to fix, either keep them off or mount them so they're waving in the air high above the model, wavin' like they just don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

An Angry Bug posted:

Yeah, meant the Devilfish. So the Hammerhead kit has all the Devilfish parts in it? Glad to hear. And more Fire Warriors sounds good too. But three Broadsides at $50 each? That seems a bit much. Wouldn't that money be better spent on an increased variety of units, or are Broadsides really that useful?

Edit: Also I like Kroot. They look neat. :saddowns:

Late to the party, but -

The Hammerhead is based on the Devilfish chassis, so the HH box comes with the DF bits plus an extra sprue with parts for the Hammerhead turret. Costs a bit more than the Devilfish box.

However, there are two Sky ray kits - the new Sky Ray box (Devilfish plus a separate sprue for Sky Ray turret parts) AND the old Hammerhead / Sky Ray box - which costs just as much as the 'plain' Sky Ray box but comes with BOTH turret sprues. If you can get your hands on the latter, I recommend it - you can just build both turrets and switch your tank between the two patterns as you like. It'll also be easy to play it as a Devilfish, all you need to do is magnetize the front sensor array so you can switch it with one of the burst cannons the kit comes with. (You get parts for two secondary gun mounts, either with twin Smart Missiles or twin Burst Cannons - of course you want the SMSes.)

• Locked thread