Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I guess I'll only play Lost on hard. I can't see it being that big of a deal, since with his flying ability he can overcome some of the consumable woes you have on that mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Mega Fatty only does his really quick jump when you're close, so always keep you distance. Otherwise, he's pretty easy to dodge, I feel like I've gotten most of the new enemies down, only took me 47 hours.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
^^^^^ - I was being thorough :argh:

dis astranagant posted:

Is there a tell I'm missing for when Mega Fatty is going to jump and immediately land like the frame the jump animation finishes?

I'm about 99% sure his fast jump happens when you're in mid to close range. I'm not totally positive on it yet but the times I've fought him recently when I had really good range(like the Computer Savvy challenge) I would keep him a screen away and the few times he ever moved they were the predictable jumps and I only ever remember getting a fast jump when I was close.

I don't think constant movement is a big pre-req for that boss considering all of his attacks are worthless and easy to avoid sans that jump but if you don't have the range(or a fast character, think a level of 3 or better) then yea, keep in motion a little. If you've got a few points into range though, you can just pick away at him with little fear.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
How the gently caress is cross save meant to work? I hit the sync button on my PS4 and it gave me the option to upload or download my data, so I uploaded it. Then later on I hit the sync button my vita and it doesn't give me any option at all, it just says Okay and fails to download my save.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hadn't made the range connection but I guess I had been running Lazarus when it was really pissing me off.

I finally managed to get a Judas run off the ground (I have a chest win for Eve but can hardly get Judas past Mom sometimes) thanks to the Holy Mantle but I think I just ruined it by confusing Rubber Cement and Ipecac. Cricket's Body + Ipecac + gigantic damage means it's near impossible to not blow myself up.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
rubber cement looks more like a jar of peanut butter, ipecac more like a jar of nutella.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Crosspeice posted:

Mega Fatty only does his really quick jump when you're close, so always keep you distance. Otherwise, he's pretty easy to dodge, I feel like I've gotten most of the new enemies down, only took me 47 hours.

Can you bait him into doing the quick jump over and over by circling close to him?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Uhm... yeah. The D6 is as nice and game breaking as always, particularly with a bunch of batteries and 48 hour energy pills.

Edit: Got triple shot right after, the tears are so big it's just three tears on top of one another, it lives died in one shot, most rooms are cleared before I can even see what I'm fighting against. This is fun!

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 12, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

AHungryRobot posted:

rubber cement looks more like a jar of peanut butter, ipecac more like a jar of nutella.

I cannot tell the two apart which as led to a lot of "poo poo, I shouldn't have picked that up" moments. Ipecac is a lot better now but sometimes I'd rather just not risk the suicide potential.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Ghost Head posted:

Can you bait him into doing the quick jump over and over by circling close to him?

He's much more likely to do his vacuum/puke than the fast jump, it's definitely his least used attack.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I cannot tell the two apart which as led to a lot of "poo poo, I shouldn't have picked that up" moments. Ipecac is a lot better now but sometimes I'd rather just not risk the suicide potential.

I just keep a tab open with http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth on it and just tab out if I'm unsure of something as there's just a ton of items I'm not familiar with it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

nm

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There we go, finished Suicide King after, uh, getting Brimstone. But I could probably beat it normally.

And I think I know the difference between Common Cold and Bob's Brain. I never want to put that to the test, however.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
brotip: Mega-fatty's jump attack IS distance based because the closer you are the faster he lands. Imagine him as sorta like moms foot but quicker.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
You just know when the expansion comes out we are getting Champion Mega Fatty. I am not looking forward to that

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Bob's brain just carried me through Cat got your tongue, so I'm now firmly in the Bob's brain fanclub.

Edit: Only Purist left now. I suppose there's no real "Strategy" for that challenge?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Red Mega Fatty: all quick jumps, all the time.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

There we go, finished Suicide King after, uh, getting Brimstone. But I could probably beat it normally.

And I think I know the difference between Common Cold and Bob's Brain. I never want to put that to the test, however.

It's not like the common cold is actually worth picking up anyway. A small chance of working and when it does the damage the poison deals is pretty pathetic.

Also brimstone + ipecac should totally give you exploding blood beams. Brimstone + my reflection should have the beam boomerang around back towards you. All three together should fire an exploding blood beam right at your own face.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Dr. Fetus and Ipecac is fun now since it lets you pretend that you're throwing exploding bowling balls.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've learnt to back away when he starts sliding and avoid Mega Fatty's quickjump, but it's more instinct than a conscious process.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

on the ps4, could i just not accept the patch and abuse the lost dead cat bug or are achievements disabled then?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nah, you can still get trophies. I haven't bothered to update on Vita yet and still am getting them.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Crosspeice posted:

I did it with orbitals, Midas Touch, Tammy's Head and Habit. Orbitals for almost everything, death hug on It Lives.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Crosspeice posted:

Bob's Brain is a darker shade of green.

Also gently caress Bob's Brain. I avoid it now entirely, just not worth it to me.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

tinaun posted:

Here are the achievement stats for rebirth.

So far,

70% beat mom
57% beat mom's heart
19% unlocked it lives
5.7% got the polaroid
3% have golden god
0.1% have plat god (for comparason, the original binding of isaac has about 2.5% plat god)

The 'average' player on steam has beat mom's heart twice, unlocked everybody but sampson and the lost, and donated 30-40 cents to the shop.

Wait, 5.7% have the polaroid but 7.8% have The Angels are Waiting? Doesn't the latter require the former to unlock?

Edit: or can you get that with the Negative? I've been focusing more on the Chapel than Sheol so far.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It seems like stat boosts are a lot less common now in item rooms, or am I just getting unlucky and getting 4 lovely active items per run?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Purist done, all challenges complete!
I've never seen so many passive damage upgrades in one run before. First floor gave me a Magic Mushroom and a Small Rock, and the second floor gave me a room with 2 tears and range up pills. One of the cleanest runs I've had, I probably would have gotten Mama's boy if I didn't already have it(and you could get achievments in challenge runs).

Drone_Fragger posted:

It seems like stat boosts are a lot less common now in item rooms, or am I just getting unlucky and getting 4 lovely active items per run?

Just bad luck. I've had runs myself where I end up just getting a ton of lovely active items on the first four floors or so, but it's far from the norm.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Broken Cog posted:

Purist done, all challenges complete!
I've never seen so many passive damage upgrades in one run before. First floor gave me a Magic Mushroom and a Small Rock, and the second floor gave me a room with 2 tears and range up pills.

I started a judas run this morning before I went to work, by the time I went to L3 I had maxed my damage stat and switched out my BoB for Head of Krampus :black101: Also pure luck, mind you. I got two "free" powerups (pentagram and I think blue mushroom) from a secret room and a gold chest.

Combo items are fun, really really fun, but for me nothing beats grinding things into a bloody mess with pure, overwhelming attack power.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 12, 2014

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Head of krampus is almost as good as the bible for killing mom. You just have to wait for 2 doors to open simulataneously

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Mega fatty's quick jump does have a tell - if he's doing the slow jump, he jumps straight up in the air and his shadow stays where it is; if he's doing the fast jump, he jumps kinda at an angle and his shadow moves visibly towards you.

You still have so little time to interpret that information and react that it's probably better to just keep moving all the time.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I finally finished all the Challenges. Family Man was such a bore but Glass Cannon was a refreshing non-issue.

I feel really bad about leaving The Lost for last since I'm almost certain I'll finish every other character's quests and then give up on this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

President Ark posted:

Mega fatty's quick jump does have a tell - if he's doing the slow jump, he jumps straight up in the air and his shadow stays where it is; if he's doing the fast jump, he jumps kinda at an angle and his shadow moves visibly towards you.

You still have so little time to interpret that information and react that it's probably better to just keep moving all the time.

Just stay as far away from him as you can and you'll always have time to react to his jumps. I learned that the hard way the first time I fought him.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've learnt to back away when he starts sliding and avoid Mega Fatty's quickjump, but it's more instinct than a conscious process.

What I do against him is tap the movement button rapidly. I think it allows me enough control to focus my shots on him and as soon as I see him twitch, I hold it for a moment in case he fast jumps. I haven't taken damage in the last, like, 12 mega fatty fights so I think this is a good strategy. Funnily enough, his most annoying attack for me is the one where he shits out those tiny dingles

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

This is a fantastic Eden loadout, but look what the game tried to do to me. That's hilarious. (i was holding it when the run started)

EDIT: Wow, I must have started out with gently caress all for luck, cause barely any soul hearts are dropping, and I got almost no heart container pickups either. I actually picked up the dead cat in the womb because this run literally can't go any worse.

EDIT 2: it'd be really loving fantastic if you got your spacebar item power back whenever you died with the cat, just saying

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 12, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Broken Cog posted:

Bob's brain just carried me through Cat got your tongue, so I'm now firmly in the Bob's brain fanclub.

Edit: Only Purist left now. I suppose there's no real "Strategy" for that challenge?

Pray for something good in a secret room. I know that in the original BoI I got Dr. Fetus on Basement 1 and that was pretty much gg.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Since we know theres an expansion coming soon next year and it will have suggestions by the fans I was thinking of a few items earlier..

Cross Bomb
A bomb with a cross on it, when used fire from all sides expands out of it, think the blue candle if you could shoot it at 4 directions at once.

The Monolith
Passive trinket, negates the stone idols (those invincible shooting things commonly found in the depths) from attacking.

The stolen stone
A friendly version of Loki's spike stone that goes about the room, does not hurt isaac

The Drill
Isaac shoots tears that can destroy rocks and other assorted things, does not grant him the ability to walk over them.

The four horsemen horses
Rare drops of each horse, they all grant flight.

Famimes Horse - summons flies upon use
Pestilence - several ipeac bombs
Deaths - scythes that home in on enemies
War - bombs that home in.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
^^^^
Some of them are in the game under a different name, others are in the game as synergies. E: Never mind, I'm dumb, I didn't read right.

Tracula posted:

Pray for something good in a secret room. I know that in the original BoI I got Dr. Fetus on Basement 1 and that was pretty much gg.

The purist isn't really that hard. If you're already pretty good at the game that helps a lot but other than that all I can say is that you shouldn't rely on picking up items helping you out as much as you would on a regular run because there's considerably less of them due to a lack of treasure rooms. But if you did poo poo that requires you to completely change the way you play, such as Cat got your tongue or Solar System this should be easier or at the very least less tedious.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 12, 2014

TheMoffa
Oct 2, 2014
first floor :(

why.. just why :(

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Heh, gotta say, Card Against Humanity is pretty good against Isaac, just carve a path to a corner and he can't touch you. Gets a bit awkward when he starts moving around, but the poop blocks all his shots and doesn't disintegrate.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Is there some weird way to unlock The Cellar or something? I unlocked all of the alternate floors like ages ago but for some reason The Cellar still hasn't unlocked at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

BlackFrost posted:

Is there some weird way to unlock The Cellar or something? I unlocked all of the alternate floors like ages ago but for some reason The Cellar still hasn't unlocked at all.

Next time you fight Gemini, beat the small one first.