Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Seems like that inter-generation moment was a pretty unwise time to upgrade. My PC went from sweet-spot to low-end in one release cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So uh apparently the microtransactions option was disabled for review copies so that reviewers wouldn't dock points off the game for having them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931099

It could be fake but it does make sense as to why a lot of reviews didn't even mention them.

It was disabled, but not hidden. So you couldn't see exactly what the point packs was priced at, but you definitely noticed they were there.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

My game crashes whenever I try to enter the 2 southeastern districts of Paris, good times!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Okay I am seeing a LOT of bad performance reviews for Unity on Steam. :stare:

The game doesn't unlock for another 13 hours, but is it even worth getting now? I assume they'll need to patch the poo poo out of it.

I'm assuming there's no magical patch that will fix every problem because they sure didn't care about any AI/engine glitches in Watchdogs, which was another fun mistake. Pretty sure consensus is "this game is garbage" so yeah, why would it be worth getting?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vodos posted:

My game crashes whenever I try to enter the 2 southeastern districts of Paris, good times!

Bad neighborhood

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm assuming there's no magical patch that will fix every problem because they sure didn't care about any AI/engine glitches in Watchdogs, which was another fun mistake. Pretty sure consensus is "this game is garbage" so yeah, why would it be worth getting?

It seems to me the consensus is that the game has performance issues but is fun(basically just more AC) when it works.
I know some people usually really wish the big Ubisoft titles to suck, but come on.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
They're already working on it.

I, meanwhile, am having a loving blast even with the frame rate issues. Did a couple of co-ops and there was one where my buddy was kind of trying his best to work with me and actually be a stealthy assassin with me (drat the lack of chat system) and another where there were four assassins all trying to out-zerg eachother in a mad bloodbath and both were fun and worthwhile experiences.

The game's harshest criticism is coming from people who haven't even actually loving played it and to me that is pretty telling.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Played a bunch last night on PS4, had a lot of fun with it. Paris is huge and gorgeous, and in general the game looks really good. There are definitely numerous pop-in problems, but I'm not experiencing the terrible performance that some folks are reporting. The framerate dips occasionally, but it's never really that bad and hasn't gotten in the way of me enjoying the game so far.

Gameplay feels the same as previous titles but slightly worse. Still get stuck on random poo poo and accidentally run up walls I didn't mean to. Free run down rules. Moving through crowds sucks compares to what I remember in previous games, instead of gently moving people out of the way you sort of just shove through them and they step aside. The fact that crowds are now really loving huge makes up for this a bit. Combat feels good, I like that I can't just stand there and counter-attack forever.

Overall, my initial impression is that it's a pretty good but flawed game. 7/10 seems like a fair score, it's far from a masterpiece but if you like AC games you'll like this one too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

It seems to me the consensus is that the game has performance issues but is fun(basically just more AC) when it works.
I know some people usually really wish the big Ubisoft titles to suck, but come on.

"when it works" is a stupid caveat when you've spent 60 dollars on a game you expect to, I don't know, run without loving up constantly or running like poo poo?

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah 10fps and crashes doesn't really bother me. I think Ubisoft deserves a break here, because the criticism I keep reading (stuttering, crashes, textures disappearing, AI not working, gamebreaking bugs etc) will be patched within a year anyway. The most important thing here is that Ubisoft delivered us another AC game right on schedule - everything else will be fixed, so don't worry.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MinibarMatchman posted:

"when it works" is a stupid caveat when you've spent 60 dollars on a game you expect to, I don't know, run without loving up constantly or running like poo poo?

I'm just a bit vary because Watch Dogs got a lot of poo poo for the same reason on release, and that game ran better on my laptop than Shadows of Mordor, which was praised for its performance and optimization.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Broken Cog posted:

Even if you ignore the technical issues, it's the same tired formula without the stuff that made Black Flag compelling. Arno isn't particularly interesting, collectibles are barfed all over at a higher volume to occupy more time and give the appearance of worthwhile content (and those Initiate/companion app chests... oof), and there aren't any significant steps forward.

The only points in its favor are that tailing missions are slightly less of a headache and the environments are super pretty.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Narcissus1916 posted:

So are ANY of the co-op missions available in single player by myself? I don't have ps plus and my internet connection is dried dog poo poo. Some reviews mentioned a ton of co-op levels, and if they're completely gated off from me I might not even rent it.

it seems to me that that the co-op missions have MAX number of players, not minimums. I will check on some of them later today.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

My review after about 8ish hours into the game:

The pros:
-The new parkour mechanics are pretty good, and when you get a great head of steam going, you can traverse the environment rather quickly.
-The combat seems to be improved, with more emphasis on timing and utilizing your consumables, versus previous games' "Press butan 2 win" mode.
-The graphics are amazing, and the amount of tiny details is pretty great.
-I like the way you can customize how Arno looks, from hood to boots.
-They actually made Assassination missions the way they always wanted them to be, but never did, because "lol gently caress you" or whatever their reasoning was.

The cons:
-Stealth seems hella broken. When you're just using the crouch button, it works decently, but the cover system is hosed. I've had to restart a particularly painful late-sequence 4 mission numerous times because Arno wanted to slide across the room to hide in plain sight.
-The framerate is hitchy as gently caress, especially when it's in places that don't seem like it should be(Going based on similar lighting details/poly counts from other PS4 games), and also gently caress the Church of Holy Single Frame Rates, I thought it was going to hardlock my PS4.
-More missions need the "sandbox, approach your own way" thing they hyped up for the Assassination missions. There are still instant-fail Tail missions in the year of our lord 2014.
-Story is dumb garbage for babies, but that's par for the course.
-British accents, in Paris? lmao.
-Microtransactions.

Final review: 7/10. If you're a fan of the series, definitely give it a shot, but don't think you need to buy it RIGHT AWAY HOLY gently caress

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Even if you ignore the technical issues, it's the same tired formula without the stuff that made Black Flag compelling. Arno isn't particularly interesting, collectibles are barfed all over at a higher volume to occupy more time and give the appearance of worthwhile content (and those Initiate/companion app chests... oof), and there aren't any significant steps forward.

The only points in its favor are that tailing missions are slightly less of a headache and the environments are super pretty.

Personally, i enjoyed being a super human counter attack machine, but the combat is improved and by improved I mean more realistic. You can aggressively parry, but are no longer "immortal" during the animation, and cannot immediately parry someone else during your parry attack. So this means groups of three or more are instant deaths, unless you are really good (I am not). Fortunately, guns are more powerful (not for you, I get shot once or twice and die) and you have more tools on your side to evade and escape (besides smoke bombs, the enemies are not nearly as psychic and give up sooner, and you have umpteen places to hide), which i think is the point.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I remember in that early prison break mission, where a bunch of guards come out and Arno is all "uhh we have a problem" and I was all like ":smug: pff, no problem" and striding towards the six or so guards fully intending to counter-kill them all like Edward or Ezio could and immediately getting my poo poo pushed in. Kind of clued me in that this was a different game.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The companion app definitely isn't talking to Uplay right, I can see myself and the stuff I've unlocked but the data is...inconsistent. I have a cafe, it says I don't. I unlocked a chest, it tells me PLAY THE COMPANION APP. Also waaaay grindier than Kenway's fleet. 3 or so missions in and they already take 2-6 hours to complete. I dread what the harder districts are like.

Initiates is fixed today. :shobon: Back to level 21.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snuffman posted:

The companion app definitely isn't talking to Uplay right, I can see myself and the stuff I've unlocked but the data is...inconsistent. I have a cafe, it says I don't. I unlocked a chest, it tells me PLAY THE COMPANION APP. Also waaaay grindier than Kenway's fleet. 3 or so missions in and they already take 2-6 hours to complete. I dread what the harder districts are like.

Initiates is fixed today. :shobon: Back to level 21.

I have no Assassins in my companion app.

I had 6 or 7 the day before release. I don't know if I'll get them back or have to start over or what. Doesn't really matter if I have to restart, but right now I can't finish the tutorial because of it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ayn rand hand job posted:

Put in for the PC social club last night

Same.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I made the OP better.

VVVV- Done!

macnbc fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 12, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think that club is PC only. Might want to note that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HaitianDivorce posted:

Shay starts off with facial hair like the hilarious beard you tried to grow in high school/the first year of college and drops it as soon as he goes full Templar. It would be funny if it was a sign of him growing up at all but I'm not really sure his reasons for turning against the Brotherhood are entirely sensible. He goes from causing an earthquake in Lisbon to accusing Achilles of ordering him to do it intentionally in about five in-game minutes, but surely he's had time on the trip back to cool off and reason it out that Achilles has literally nothing to gain from intentionally leveling a city.

Speaking of which, the earthquake in Lisbon looks fantastic, even if its only gameplay is "hold down the right trigger and push the joystick forward."

The renovation stuff from Brohood is back but this time it's in gorgeous eighteenth century Manhattan :swoon:. Same as in those games, it looks like it acts as a further money sink/maker for your ship, but it also requires metal and wood and other stuff you'd need to otherwise upgrade the Morrigan. Obviously by the end of the game I expect to be swimming in extra stuff but it might generate some interesting short-term trade-offs.

The supporting Assassin cast is very clearly there to all get murdered and I kinda roll my eyes every time any one of them comes on screen.

Modern day sections are a painful retread of Black Flag's so far without any Assassins to offer any sort of bright spot. Just like with the main campaign, it's hard not to feel like everything you're doing is making things worse in the ~meta-narrative.~

I've progressed to the point where I mentally replace any mention of the "First Civilization," "the Precursors" or "Those Who Came Before" with "Lizard People" and I'm wondering if I could do the same thing with the Templars and Assassins.

Sounds pretty cool then, I've all but stopped caring about the real world segments in the games.
I'm in it for the in animus stories and worlds.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I've heard Ubisoft hosed up pretty royally on Unity...can anyone here detail what are the major issues with the game?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kirios posted:

So I've heard Ubisoft hosed up pretty royally on Unity...can anyone here detail what are the major issues with the game?

All you have to do is read the past few pages or the review on this page. :effort:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So much for a day one 1.2 patch. Thank god I have other games to tide me over until then. I've tried Sequence 2 Mission 1 three times. The first time I had to follow the guy through the window I fell through the world. The second time I landed on thin air midjump and couldn't move besides rotating. Third time I fell into the building's walls. Fourth time I exited the game and played something else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kirios posted:

It has framerate problems.

Everything else is standard Assassin's Creed (glitches, gameplay and all.) Though probably more frequently right now.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 12, 2014

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
I haven't had any glitches that were game-breaking (except for the Cathedral), but there are so many glaring issues that it's hard to turn away from. Maybe I'm primed to look for them because I read this thread thread and a lot of reviews for it, but it's hard to turn a blind eye when you see characters spamming in corners every few moments.

What's ruining it most for me, though, is all of the npcs in the streets. Half of them are hovering in midair, or sweeping without a broom. They all look so rigid and wooden, like it's a Doctor Who episode and we're only NOW realizing they're all robots.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I like when you vault over something now you just clip right through whatever is in front of the obstacle

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

snodig posted:

Yeah 10fps and crashes doesn't really bother me. I think Ubisoft deserves a break here, because the criticism I keep reading (stuttering, crashes, textures disappearing, AI not working, gamebreaking bugs etc) will be patched within a year anyway. The most important thing here is that Ubisoft delivered us another AC game right on schedule - everything else will be fixed, so don't worry.

You shouldn't have to wait a year to play the game that cost you $70.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Vodos posted:

Same here :sigh: Hopefully this will be fixed shortly, I have more fun exploring than pursuing the main quest.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

PopeOnARope posted:

seriously, ubisoft is what the 3rd largest game dev? self proclaimed god of open world games? they deserve no loving slack at all for releasing games in this state time and time again

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

snodig posted:

This is the mentality that keeps letting poo poo like this happen with Assassins Creed, Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc. "Meh, 60bux every 12 months for 10fps and a game that'll maybe be fixed some day. 6/10, would buy again."

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

PopeOnARope posted:

Pretty much. Software is pretty much the only industry that can potentially fix a broken shipped product and it's great that they can but it seems like games have become very reliant on that in order to reach self-imposed release dates. And trusting the game will be "fixed" six months from now should be insulting to anyone who purchased it today. The people that pick it up at that time will be getting an improved experience with a better value while you were left funding their quality assurance.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DangerKat posted:

Pretty much. Software is pretty much the only industry that can potentially fix a broken shipped product and it's great that they can but it seems like games have become very reliant on that in order to reach self-imposed release dates. And trusting the game will be "fixed" six months from now should be insulting to anyone who purchased it today. The people that pick it up at that time will be getting an improved experience with a better value while you were left funding their quality assurance.

What pisses me off even more is now before a game even releases they're reaching for your wallet again with Season Passes/Premium Access/whatever AND in some cases (Unity, Dead Space 3) they have freemium model poo poo in game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DangerKat posted:

To give them small amounts of credit, it isn't self-imposed. Not releasing before Black Friday/Christmas has a tremendous impact on sales. You can argue it's better to maintain the brand for future sales but... welp.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

At the end of the day it's the gamers fault for supporting this model. People buy into Unity hook line and sinker before it comes out, hoping things will change (Instead of, you know, waiting for reviews to hit before buying) and it never. loving. does.

Until gamers wake up and learn from this, what incentive do developers and publishers have to do otherwise?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

It's actually about ethics in games consumerism.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I've put about 7 hours into this game, 3 of them may have been loading screens, but besides that I'm pretty happy with it. Getting 20-30fps I think, I haven't checked but honestly I prefer that, it is much more cinematic than something like 60fps would be. I couldn't stand the Hobbit. Anyway, I bought the 99$ helix credit microtransaction to reward them for all the hard work they have put into this obviously next generation title.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Just started playing Rogue last night after the kid went to bed, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. On the one hand, the gameplay is pretty much Black Flag 2 (as expected and desired), but the protagonist is kind of a prick, and I have no idea what's happening in the plot (and I'm barely into the first sequence). Go here. Now go here. Remember this place and these two dudes? OK, now meet someone and go here. OK, you have to kill some dude, so go here, but this isn't where you have to go, it's just that all your friends are now here so meet them so they can tell you to go kill that dude you already know you have to kill somewhere else. Hey! It's the guy you have to kill and all his friends you will probably also end up killing (or not, I don't know yet), and it's a famous guy! Hi famous guy. Bye famous guy.

Also, the voice actress for the woman assassin at the beginning of Rogue is terrible. My wife likes her outfit, though.

Jethro fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kirios posted:

If you didn't have thin skin and put half the posters here on ignore you'd have read that the game has frame rate issues and gameplay on par with Asscreed 1. Its a huge step back from Black Flag.

• Locked thread