Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Though if you want sufficiently dark Popeye, here's the end from an unedited short from the 40's.
http://youtu.be/aMJrM80r50A?t=7m10s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Cangelosi posted:

That's some quality British comicwork there.

Does it look like it came from the Beano or something? Basil Wolverton was American. Those panels are from a golden age Marvel comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman #36

Batman Vs. Jokerized Superman.

Could have posted all the ridiculous methods Batman had to take out the rest of the League last issue, but the microscopic sun fist is truly amazing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 12, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even by Batman standards that's the stupidest goddamn thing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Wouldn't the mass be too heavy for Batman to lift or something? Or was he flat-out using Ray Palmer tech to boost his strength so he could handle swinging around what amounted to star-matter-knuckles emitting harmful radiation?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wade Wilson posted:

Wouldn't the mass be too heavy for Batman to lift or something? Or was he flat-out using Ray Palmer tech to boost his strength so he could handle swinging around what amounted to star-matter-knuckles emitting harmful radiation?

They're microscopic, so they're very light. You push around microscopic universes all the time without even realizing it. :feelsgood:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"Batman cool Superman lame PUNCH" - every hack writer until the end of time, apparently.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

"Batman cool Superman lame PUNCH" - every hack writer until the end of time, apparently.

There's actually a kernel of something good at the heart of it, I think. You get "scientist" == "evil mad scientist" a lot, and then Superman goes and beats up Brainiac, and it's nice that some people sometimes like to cast the smart guy as the winner when it's brains versus brawn. (Of course, the smart guy is still winning by punching, which kind of defeats the purpose, but this wasn't an airtight thesis to begin with...)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

prefect posted:

They're microscopic, so they're very light. You push around microscopic universes all the time without even realizing it. :feelsgood:

Sorry, I keep thinking that if the mass doesn't change, compacting it into a very tiny/dense space isn't going to make it any lighter but comic book logic prevails I guess (Ray Palmer gets around it with tech that basically does all the heavy lifting for him, which was why I was wondering if Batman also borrowed Palmer's white dwarf star device or something).

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Batman #37

See Batman deal with the inevitable mouth cancer from chewing kryptonite gum!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wade Wilson posted:

Sorry, I keep thinking that if the mass doesn't change, compacting it into a very tiny/dense space isn't going to make it any lighter but comic book logic prevails I guess (Ray Palmer gets around it with tech that basically does all the heavy lifting for him, which was why I was wondering if Batman also borrowed Palmer's white dwarf star device or something).

I'm thinking of that thing college freshmen talk about when they get stoned; "what if there are millions of microscopic universes the size of atoms inside my fingernail?"

Byers2142 posted:

Batman #37

Kryptonite is radioactive, right? Batman has probably had more exposure than any other human on Earth. :ohdear:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

prefect posted:

Kryptonite is radioactive, right? Batman has probably had more exposure than any other human on Earth. :ohdear:

Yep, it's radioactive, and except for maybe one other man, Batman has the most exposure.

Superman (Vol. 2) #19 (1988)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

prefect posted:

I'm thinking of that thing college freshmen talk about when they get stoned; "what if there are millions of microscopic universes the size of atoms inside my fingernail?"

There's a really good take on that idea in an early Weird Science or Weird Fantasy from the 50s. I'll try to find it and post when I get home; if I remember right, the splash page would qualify for this thread. Great art, really goofy premise.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

prefect posted:

Wasn't it a thing at one point that Lex got cancer or something from the kryptonite he used to carry around?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

John Dyne posted:

Wasn't it a thing at one point that Lex got cancer or something from the kryptonite he used to carry around?

"Kryptonite poisoning". It's two posts above yours.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I thought it was actual cancer from that weird battlesuit he used to pilot, which I think was a bit later than 1988. Oh well! v:v:v

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Luthor eventually died from cancer and cloned himself into a red haired guy who had a really creepy relationship with Supergirl. DC Comics.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Luthor eventually died from cancer and cloned himself into a red haired guy who had a really creepy relationship with Supergirl. DC Comics.

Yeah, the hand removal didn't stop the cancer from spreading, so he got to clone himself as Supergirl's Aussie boyfriend. I think that the "poisoning" was retconned to cancer later on.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Byers2142 posted:

Yep, it's radioactive, and except for maybe one other man, Batman has the most exposure.

Superman (Vol. 2) #19 (1988)

To be honest I think Lex Luthor's diabetes, as evidenced by his wild swings in body weight, is probably a bigger issue for his extremities.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

a pipe smoking dog posted:

To be honest I think Lex Luthor's diabetes, as evidenced by his wild swings in body weight, is probably a bigger issue for his extremities.
He'll just find a way to blame Superman for that too.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Zereth posted:

He'll just find a way to blame Superman for that too.

Unfortunately, this time he only has his own hubris to blame.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Was this before or after he was the President of the United States of America?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Byers2142 posted:

Batman #37

It's okay, he has some Bat Rad-Away back home.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Crowetron posted:

Oh, man, I remember that! I still have one of his campaign pins!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crowetron posted:

I want to say before.

But also, at that time wasn't President Lex another clone or impostor and the real Lex was hanging out in a satellite and went under the code name Mockingbird for the whole Villains United thing?

Or am I mixing up like 3-4 other story lines?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Well before. This was like late 80s/early 90s "Death of Superman" -Era stuff while President Lex was around 2000.

CzarChasm posted:

But also, at that time wasn't President Lex another clone or impostor and the real Lex was hanging out in a satellite and went under the code name Mockingbird for the whole Villains United thing?

I don't even remember this nonsense. loving Jeph Loeb.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CzarChasm posted:

Or am I mixing up like 3-4 other story lines?
You're mixing 'em up, but only just. After President Lex got kicked out of office, he disappeared for a while. When he returned and started gathering together the Secret Society of Supervillains, someone codenamed Mockingbird started recruiting anyone who turned down a Society invite, which was the Villains United thing, which eventually became the Secret Six. Then it turned out that the Lex running the Society was really Alexander Luthor from Earth-3 and Mockingbird was real Lex, which kicked off Infinite Crisis.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The way I remember it, bald Lex died in the late 80's, early 90's, and redhaired Lex came along right after. He stuck around through Doomsday, Reign of the Supermen, and the return, and lasted for a while before finally outing himself as a clone and going bald again.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Keromaru5 posted:

The way I remember it, bald Lex died in the late 80's, early 90's, and redhaired Lex came along right after. He stuck around through Doomsday, Reign of the Supermen, and the return, and lasted for a while before finally outing himself as a clone and going bald again.

I just read that as he walks into a room, announces "I'm a clone", and suddenly his hair just falls out.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

I just read that as he walks into a room, announces "I'm a clone", and suddenly his hair just falls out.

<drops hair>

<walks out>

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Spider-Verse #1

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Waterhaul posted:

Spider-Verse #1

No Morlun getting hit on the head by a brick, no sale.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The brick would hit Spider-Man not Morlun.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Morlun gets taken out by a drone strike, Obama is in the next panel looking smug as poo poo.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

We all know if he stayed, the Spider-verse event would have been resolved immediately by Iron Jonah.

Also, Hobgoblin continues to be the best part of Axis.

AXIS: Hobgoblin #2

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 12, 2014

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Byers2142 posted:

Yeah, the hand removal didn't stop the cancer from spreading, so he got to clone himself as Supergirl's Aussie boyfriend. I think that the "poisoning" was retconned to cancer later on.

He claimed to be Lex Luthor II, son of Lex Luthor, which is why he got control of Lex Corp.

That Supergirl was actually Matrix, a... thing an alternate reality Lex had created to resemble that universe's Lana Lang but with Superman's biology.

So match made in heaven, I guess.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Except when Matrix merged with a regular girl who may or may not have been an angel.

(I still do really like the issue from that PAD run where Silver Age Supergirl shows up and tries to push the Earth out of the way of an asteroid)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wh... why not push the asteroid out of the way?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SynthOrange posted:

Wh... why not push the asteroid out of the way?

She had a date with her horse and she didn't want to be late. GAWD it's like you don't even read comics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Except when Matrix merged with a regular girl who may or may not have been an angel.

I like PAD's stuff from the late 90s and early 00s and hate Jeph Loeb's bullshit, but one of the few smart things Loeb ever did was get rid of all the horseshit pretenders and just say "gently caress it here's Superman's cousin again can we move the gently caress on now?"

• Locked thread