Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Exinos posted:

Painting the Blue Table way.
Prime Black.
1st shade, Black Primer.
1st highlight, Black Primer.

Customer must now pay for additional colors and highlighting (to be either poorly airbrushed or drybrushed on depending on what painter gets the job.

If it makes you feel any better, you can complain and the owner of BTP will happily fire a decent chunk of his staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Business Gorillas posted:

If it makes you feel any better, you can complain and the owner of BTP will happily fire a decent chunk of his staff.

But only if he manages to read your email during one of the few times he isn't away from his office, at a location with poor/no Internet service. :v:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Direwolf posted:

There's just something about all the BTP painting that does the opposite of "pop". Everything just seems muted and kinda...I don't want to say messy, but a little off. I'm not a very good painter and my best paint jobs seem to be on about their level, which for a commissioned painting service is kinda gross.

It's because they're unfinished models.

In my opinion, the work that they actually do isn't bad, it's just that they just stop working before the model is done. They stop right at the point when you're about 2/3 done with the model and you're kind of disappointed with the way it looks, instead of doing the next step which is all the little accents and highlights that make the model look good again.

...which might be okay for a level one model, if you're not interested in being proud of the job you've done, but when your customers are paying a humongous premium for 'advanced paintjobs' and you are still showing primer, it's just embarrassing. My absolute laziest rank-and-file ork boyz don't even show primer, and my primary color is black.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 11, 2014

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Direwolf posted:

There's just something about all the BTP painting that does the opposite of "pop". Everything just seems muted and kinda...I don't want to say messy, but a little off. I'm not a very good painter and my best paint jobs seem to be on about their level, which for a commissioned painting service is kinda gross.

I think part of the problem is how wildly inconsistent it is. There where 2 or 3 models in that montage that looked good (the eagle and that skaven(?) wheel thing) but there was a lot that looked one or two steps above THINURPAINTS level like those white knight looking guys (warmachine models I think) and stuff that looks like what I'm doing now with the airbrush (the Tau stuff) I've had for all of 3 months that I'm still figuring out how to use.

And this is stuff they probably painted knowing it was for miniwargaming and that it would be used in photos and videos produced by those guys.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They haven't though? :confused: I'm looking at that specific one that Indolent Bastard quoted right now, along with a few others:

poo poo, they weren't displaying for me so I figured they'd been deleting them. Good to know!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

SRM posted:

poo poo, they weren't displaying for me so I figured they'd been deleting them. Good to know!

Yeah, I quoted a few examples but there are several more people basically decrying MWG for cronyism/selling out/being idiots for trying to rally their subscribers around BTP.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Blah, the worse thing about that video is the OSL. Sure we gave your landraider a lovely undercoat of blue and half the poo poo is drybrushed, at least you have headlights!
Plus the glowing eyes on the marines where light is somehow bending to hit the top of the helmet. It makes it look lazy. We don't want to paint eyes so *dabs random paint around the eyes* OSL!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Though I did read somewhere that Gately, Matt, and Dave are all Mormons? So maybe that's the connection :tinfoil:

Holy hell this would explain so much

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, to put some actual worst modelling and painting back into the tread, behold HUBRIS!

Made from parts of Warzone/Mutant Chronicles Imperial trooper, Black Templar conversion kit, IG Chimera officer, bits of plastic packaging, those plasting things for keeping bread bags sealed, copious amoungs of Liquid Green Stuff and impotent rage, comes one of my three Death Cult Assassins that I tried to make for Heralds of Ruin Kill Team.

I wanted it to look like some crazy monk in brown, blood spattered clothing, with two rusted Uruk-Hai swords attached to a makeshift power supply on his back and I failed hard. Oh the effort put into putting this together, then painting, the repainting, the stripping, removing, adding parts, fighting with greenstuff arm joints/sword bits falling off.

I just...

I...

I don't even remember what I was thinking when I sprayed it red. Then it somehow started growing on me... before I took this picture and saw how lovely the spray paint was.

I need a moment now.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 12, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JcDent posted:

Well, to put some actual worst modelling and painting back into the tread, behold HUBRIS!

This is the type of model a mother would hang on the fridge. :gbsmith:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Lol, 7:25 in that video.

And that chimera :stare:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
See, all of those are things I'd be perfectly happy to give a casual painter kudos for finishing and putting on the table.

As commission painting with pretensions of high quality? :frogout:

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Yeah, definitely. Any of those, if I produced them myself, I'd be more than happy with that. But paying someone 40 to 100$ per figure/vehicle to do something of that quality? No thanks.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That landraider is really bad. If it was posted on here I would find a gentle way of suggesting improvements, including practice :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

poo poo, Numlock wasn't wrong about the THINURPAINTS on some of those models. The Menoth dudes ave visible chunks of paint on the white, and those guardians look like somebody decided using chalk on black primer is a legitimate way to 'paint' miniatures. What the actual gently caress, BTP?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The Land Raider is especially bad because there's parts of it that are just flat-out unpainted, or clearly only had one coat of paint sloppily put on there.

gently caress, I don't think they even drilled the barrels on the multi-melta.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
On the plus side, I am now actually feeling pretty motivated to paint, knowing that even my most sloppy, half-assed jobs are at least better than BTP's "professional" standard. :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Sydney Bottocks posted:

On the plus side, I am now actually feeling pretty motivated to paint, knowing that even my most sloppy, half-assed jobs are at least better than BTP's "professional" standard. :v:

And the thread wins.

I was an average painter back in my you - for a 10-17 year old. I took a break and now I'm painting again, and I used to consider myself an average painter. But looking at stuff from BTP and Mantic and Dakka Dakka threads, I'm willing to upgrade myself to Good.

Current scale reads

Thats a model? -> Terrible -> Poor -> Blue Table Painting -> Average -> Above Average -> Good -> Great -> Amazing -> Is that really a model?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

And the thread wins.

I was an average painter back in my you - for a 10-17 year old. I took a break and now I'm painting again, and I used to consider myself an average painter. But looking at stuff from BTP and Mantic and Dakka Dakka threads, I'm willing to upgrade myself to Good.

Current scale reads

Thats a model? -> Terrible -> Poor -> Blue Table Painting -> Average -> Above Average -> Good -> Great -> Amazing -> Is that really a model?

The average goon; officially better painters than a professional* studio

*based on BTP's self-claim of being professionals

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I can definitely see what I imagine everyone is talking about as far as the shortcomings of that Land Raider but it's still something I'd accept as a "I just painted my first tank to tabletop standards" model. A lot of the colors and edges need to be evened out but I'd still rather see it across the table than the THIN YOUR PAINTS crowd.

But then again, I am a solidly mediocre-to-adequate painter who hasn't ever painted any tanks himself.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

JerryLee posted:

I can definitely see what I imagine everyone is talking about as far as the shortcomings of that Land Raider but it's still something I'd accept as a "I just painted my first tank to tabletop standards" model. A lot of the colors and edges need to be evened out but I'd still rather see it across the table than the THIN YOUR PAINTS crowd.

But then again, I am a solidly mediocre-to-adequate painter who hasn't ever painted any tanks himself.

By my scale, that puts you at "Blue Table Painting Level" :)

Its not that its a terrible paint job - its terrible for a PROFESSIONAL paint job.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That Land Raider is sad because you can see a few spots where actual effort was applied. The yellow on the cupola and sponson sights looks pretty good, but then they switch to splashing airbrush.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Grey Hunter posted:

Doc Thunder -> Poor -> BTP -> Average -> Above Average -> Good -> BULBASAUR -> serious gaylord -> SRM

:v:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

JerryLee posted:

Would you pay 50 bucks for it on top of the cost of the model itself? I wouldn't.

To put this in some perspective, there is a commission guy at my FLGS that charges 10 bucks for each model (28mm dude or 15mm tank) if you supply the model (otherwise its the cost of the model + 10 bucks) and that 10 paint (Super Basic, "This is table top ready") job that he churns out as fast as possible is better than what appears to be a "Good" BTP mini.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

You guys a nice clean, smooth coat of white is super tricky ok jesus

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Gumdrop Larry posted:

So is a clean, smooth coat of anything that isn't primer, according to BTP :v:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Yeah, it takes a real professional with a whole studio to churn out flawless whites.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, it takes a real professional with a whole studio to churn out flawless whites.

They're only claiming they're flawless, keep watching.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Blue Table could be producing mega armies of Golden Daemon level masterpieces, but Id never know because the guy who runs the place creeps me the gently caress out so much I never get more than 30 seconds into one of their videos.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also I have to chuckle at how Matt/Dave at MWG apparently thought inserting themselves into the toxic BTP situation was in any way a good idea, and that they thought this was the right way to go about it. :laugh:

Though I did read somewhere that Gately, Matt, and Dave are all Mormons? So maybe that's the connection :tinfoil:

This is probably it

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

BeigeJacket posted:

Blue Table could be producing mega armies of Golden Daemon level masterpieces, but Id never know because the guy who runs the place creeps me the gently caress out so much I never get more than 30 seconds into one of their videos.

Thought it was just me...

That "Hey hey hey blue table fans" just creeps me out as bad as anything in the AUG thread.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I found a thing about BTP right here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jesus H Christ, Level 4 is $17/figure and that first unit is 30 dwarfs.

FFFffffuck. I feel really bad for that guy.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, that land raider is horrible. I know it is just an illusion and that they drybrushed a lighter blue on top of the darker blue to break it up, but you shouldn't do that that dramatically when you paint the other half white. All it looks like is that they need another coat of blue over the white primer.

Also, I love this guy in the comments section.

quote:

If you are really going to bring up the 12 year old thing, do you even know what you're talking about? He wanted to give his kids a chance to paint some figures and be on the payroll. Shame on dad, right?

Yes, because when you think of sending your miniatures off to be painted by a professional service, you will be happy when you get back something painted by the 12 year old kids of the owner.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I like painting, and consider myself firmly in the 'average' category, but I'm probably the best out of the gamers I personally know. They occasionally ask me to paint poo poo. My standing charge is "I'll paint it, but if I run out of any colors or need any special supplies you want, you pay for those." On something like twenty figures painted, I've 'made' $30, and that directly went to replace my purples and my static grasses and plants.

Charging someone $17 per figure (minimum, remember, and he had about a hundred painted) and then doing this lovely a job is just inexcusable.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I used to paint for my friends because they were awful and I had mastered the arcane arts of washing, using thinner and shading. They didn't expect prize winning paint, just IC's that looked sweet and very clean troops at the same standard as my guys (my style was always cartoony and bold, I would get really bright colours out of the GW paints and used fast, but deep shading). Sometimes I'd go a bit overboard and turn out something loving rude because i was having so much fun with that model (a Celestine i painted comes to mind). I'd get an IC for 40k if I painted a box for someone or sometimes a unit depending how much poo poo they gave me to do. It was cool because I ended up with a big Imperial Fists army that I couldn't have afforded or justified considering I owned Space Wolves and more marines felt like a dumb thing to do.

Basically I guess if you ask a dude to paint models and they love painting models and have an ego, they'll do it for you at a reasonable rate.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wait, somebody is saying that the BTP guy is straight and has a family + kids? Haha, some serious denial going on in somebodies household.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

jadebullet posted:

Yes, because when you think of sending your miniatures off to be painted by a professional service, you will be happy when you get back something painted by the 12 year old kids of the owner.

Just to add some context to this, apparently Gately went to some town hall meeting a politician (either state or local, I forget which) was holding, and legit asked him if they could lower the legal working age to 12, so his kids could be on the payroll. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

You know, all they had to do on that land raider was use masking tape.