Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh hype, that's a great guide! I think I'm going to do Hobbit since the original stuff is between printings at the moment. Thanks!

Welcome to the rabbit hole :)

I really enjoy the hobbit boxes, kinda forget what is in them exactly, but you should be able to make a passable dwarf deck if you wanted.
Oh, also check out hall of beorn, the other great LOTR LCG blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Tau-talk: my friend just trounced me by playing Tau and equipping all the things on his Warlord. Are you saying this is not something you can do? I thought you could attach basically whatever to your warlord? Help we're dumb.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Most of the attachments say "attach to an army unit"; your warlord is a "warlord unit" and as such is unable to be equipped with many of the attachments currently in the game. It's a pretty easy mistake to make.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 8, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tau gets access to exactly one attachment that can go on the warlord, but you should use it as shields first.

Also, Tau with two ambush platforms is hilarious and ludicrous.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

sirtommygunn posted:

Most of the attachments say "attach to an army unit"; your warlord is a "warlord unit" and as such is unable to be equipped with many of the attachments currently in the game. It's a pretty easy mistake to make.

Yeah that happens a lot I think. I think there's also going to be a lot of Space Marine players that play both Iron Halo and the Armorbane Sword at the same too (which you can't). Once there's more Relics people will check for those traits more. There's a couple of very weird edge cases too (the way AoE works is very odd) and a couple of things that run counter to what you'd expect, but at least most of it is consistently worded.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If this image from Team Covenant is accurate, it looks like the GoT second edition factions will be Targaryen, Baratheon, Lannister, Stark, Martell, Greyjoy, Arryn and Tyrell.

House Arryn sounds like a super boring faction to me and I would have preferred making the Night's Watch their own dedicated thing but maybe it'll be cool.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Especially since the only crossover cycle is Neutral Arryns.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
I just took 2nd place in Conquest at Worlds with my SM/Tau, losing in the final round to Jeremy Zwirn. It was an awesome tournament and an awesome last game!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fetterkey posted:

I just took 2nd place in Conquest at Worlds with my SM/Tau, losing in the final round to Jeremy Zwirn. It was an awesome tournament and an awesome last game!

Congrats!

PS Post decklist

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Congrats!

Not surprised there were so many Space Marines and Dark Eldar in the top spots - DE has straight up the best Warlord right now and SM has a the most rounded lineup while still packing tons of combat tricks (and they have access to the incredible Tau non-loyal pool).

I was surprised to see so many play mistakes in the streamed matches though - there was a lot of rules mistakes and some plain old missed action opportunities (the Chaos player they streamed first had 2 Ork Kannons sitting idle turn after turn).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 9, 2014

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Warlord: Captain Cato Sicarius

Army Units (31):
3x Earth Caste Technician
3x Vior'la Marksman
3x Void Pirate
3x Eager Recruit
2x 10th Company Scout
3x Tactical Squad Cardinis
3x Vior'la Marksman
4x Sicarius's Chosen
3x Honored Librarian
2x Blood Angels Veterans
1x Veteran Brother Maxos
1x Land Raider

Events (9):
3x Indomitable
3x Drop Pod Assault
2x Fury of Sicarius
1x Exterminatus

Attachments (9):
3x Promotion
3x Ion Rifle
1x Tallassarian Tempest Blade
2x Iron Halo

Supports (1):
1x Cato's Stronghold

I don't have Jeremy's decklist but it was quite similar to mine-- I suspect that he ended up cutting 1x Exterminatus and probably 3x Marksman in favor of the third Iron Halo, the third Blood Angels Veterans, and two Daring Assault Squads. He also squeezed a single Fortress-Monastery in there.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
The store I ordered my Conquest cores from initially is listing Nov 14th as the day they will have copies of Blackmane's Howl for order. I looked at FFG's site and didn't see anywhere that had a definitive date, but I am bad at finding that sort of thing. Anyone know if this date is correct or approx correct? I need more cardssss.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

EvilChameleon posted:

The store I ordered my Conquest cores from initially is listing Nov 14th as the day they will have copies of Blackmane's Howl for order. I looked at FFG's site and didn't see anywhere that had a definitive date, but I am bad at finding that sort of thing. Anyone know if this date is correct or approx correct? I need more cardssss.

I can check if distributors have been given a date tomorrow, but if they haven't updated it on the site there's a very small chance of that being accurate.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I go around trying to offload all of my GOT, and then FFG go and confirm rotation. Suddenly, all interested parties stop being such.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Fetterkey posted:

Warlord: Captain Cato Sicarius Decklist

You got the Viorla Marksman in there 6 times - I'm guess that's supposed to be something else?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

You got the Viorla Marksman in there 6 times - I'm guess that's supposed to be something else?

Yeah, sorry. The second one should be 3x Vash'ya Trailblazer.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Congrats on taking 2nd, Fetterkey! I just finished watching the super-long match (thx Zwirn) and have some questions:

1. What was your thought process upon seeing the planet flop?

2. Did you feel like you made any mistakes? In particular I'd like to know your thought process for the first 2 turns since I personally would have played rather differently.

3. Would you have included the 3rd Iron Halo, Blood Angel and singleton Fortress on hindsight? I couldn't help but feel like the Blood Angel and Fortress in particular are rather non-negotiable. How did Marksmen work out for you over the course of the tournament?

4. What would you say your best and worst matchups were and why?

Once again, nice performance! Hope to one day make it out to Worlds as well.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
LOTR Core set is the deal of the day at MM for 18$ http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgmec01.html

E: vv Dang, pretty quickly. Well, it is a ridiculous price haha.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 11, 2014

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It's gone.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Tried the Star Wars LCG last night with my wife, using the starter decks. I was DS and basically what it ended up being was I won the force struggle and proceeded to do nothing the rest of the game. Is that how this game is really supposed to work? Seems like a really boring game if that's the case.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

signalnoise posted:

Tried the Star Wars LCG last night with my wife, using the starter decks. I was DS and basically what it ended up being was I won the force struggle and proceeded to do nothing the rest of the game. Is that how this game is really supposed to work? Seems like a really boring game if that's the case.

Not really at all. The Light Side is supposed to attack objectives to destroy them to win. The Dark Side fends them off and kills off characters / blows up key objectives to advance the dial faster. It's possible to play a defensive game, but current LS decks will make short work of a purely defensive build. It's also much easier for the LS to take the force now.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

alg posted:

Not really at all. The Light Side is supposed to attack objectives to destroy them to win. The Dark Side fends them off and kills off characters / blows up key objectives to advance the dial faster. It's possible to play a defensive game, but current LS decks will make short work of a purely defensive build. It's also much easier for the LS to take the force now.

Oh is there a new rulebook then or do I just need current cards

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

signalnoise posted:

Oh is there a new rulebook then or do I just need current cards

The same rulebook, there are a lot of newer cards but the core set should be able to play offensively.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Just make yourself a Navy deck and you'll be pretty much on the prowl for rebel scum. The Sith do just sit back and watch the clock advance, against such decks it is the other player's duty to pummel them out of the comfort zone.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Why isn't Howl of Blackmane released yet.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
The Gen Con scenario, The Old Forest, has been released for LOTR. Tom Bombadil!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

Why isn't Howl of Blackmane released yet.

Because gently caress you.

Also I'm really curious as to how things will shake up with the first cycle being so focused on 'stuff that tries to kill your opponents warlord like whoa', especially considering not everyone is getting that kind of warlord.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

alg posted:

but current LS decks will make short work of a purely defensive build.

Elaborate please.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Baron Porkface posted:

Elaborate please.

Ties of Blood and May the Force Be With You are both very strong against defensive control. ToB punishes you for not attacking and MtFBWY means that Yoda can attack and then still commit to the force struggle which means a lot of the time the DS doesn't have the balance at the start of their turn.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Congrats on taking 2nd, Fetterkey! I just finished watching the super-long match (thx Zwirn) and have some questions:

1. What was your thought process upon seeing the planet flop?

I tend to prefer quicker games, so I was underwhelmed by the planet flop, which had a lot of 1-icon planets early.

nyxnyxnyx posted:

2. Did you feel like you made any mistakes? In particular I'd like to know your thought process for the first 2 turns since I personally would have played rather differently.

I slightly mismanaged combat on turn 5, which ended up not mattering. Other than that I can't think of any big mistakes, I overall think I was winning in the early game, losing in the midgame, and then winning in the late game again (after stealing Ferrin). The final turning point was when he played Daring Assault Squad on turn 6 and I didn't have a Chosen to negate it and couldn't draw a Drop Pod. I greatly suspect that had I been able to counter that one card, I would have won the game overall.

nyxnyxnyx posted:

3. Would you have included the 3rd Iron Halo, Blood Angel and singleton Fortress on hindsight? I couldn't help but feel like the Blood Angel and Fortress in particular are rather non-negotiable. How did Marksmen work out for you over the course of the tournament?

I would probably not include Fortress, which I tested and consider weak. I'm probably going to drop 1x Ion Rifle for the 3rd Iron Halo. I intend to test the third Blood Angel and two Daring Assault Squads in place of Marksman, but the Marksman has historically done very well for me-- we'll have to see how it turns out.

nyxnyxnyx posted:

4. What would you say your best and worst matchups were and why?

Best matchup is probably Orks or Tau. Worst matchup is Eldar. That said, the Eldar matchup is not that bad.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
Does Ork Kannon do damage to everything at the planet or just one dude on each side? I'm considering buying a third core even though I don't really have anyone to play with. :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

Does Ork Kannon do damage to everything at the planet or just one dude on each side? I'm considering buying a third core even though I don't really have anyone to play with. :(

Pick a planet, each player deals 1 point of damage to their own dudes. It's phenomenal to murder Void Pirates and their ilk.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

GrandpaPants posted:

Pick a planet, each player deals 1 point of damage to their own dudes. It's phenomenal to murder Void Pirates and their ilk.

Each guy they have at that planet, or only one guy per side on that planet?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

One point of damage to one dude. Or I guess 0 points of damage to 0 dudes in those circumstances.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Ork Kannon is the poo poo. It's free damage on lone command struggle units, easy brutal trigger, more free damage if you've got the Nazdreg Support and double damage if you've got Zarathur. And it's non-unique. Even if all it does is burn a shield card for the enemy, that effectively means it was a discard effect that refreshes next round - that's fantastic!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

Nazdreg Support

Speaking of, is the "damage" from this (and I guess the Nurgle stuff in the upcoming pack) unpreventable? It says it is "moved," which I imagine isn't the same as being dealt.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yup, it's unpreventable.

quote:

Moved damage bypasses all damage prevention
and reassign opportunities, and is placed directly
upon the card to which it has been moved.

Moving damage is incredibly strong.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 14, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Howl of Blackmane is expected to be in stores on the 26th.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Question regarding Conquest; is there still an opportunity for combat actions if there is no enemy units participating. For example, if I have a unit at the first planet and my opponent does not, is there a chance to use Ork Kannon before the battle ends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
From my understanding, yes.