Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I too found LR's battle system hectic at first, but as you get further in the game it becomes more easy to handle. It's still pretty hectic but that's what makes it great. I still remember when I was trying to make chocobo eaters extinct and every battle with one was a fine line between absolutely dominating and five starring it and getting my rear end kicked.

Also I love how in LR the stagger conditions for all the enemies can be pretty varied, unlike in FFXIII and FFXIII-2 where it almost always came down to using imperil, and then triple ravagers. Like fighting a huge dragon, dodging it's bite attack and then landing a huge rear end sword swing on his head and staggering him in one hit is so goddamn satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lightning Returns with 60 FPS is going to be the poo poo.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Lightning Returns with 60 FPS is going to be the poo poo.

The FPS was already pretty good in battles but it's gonna be satisfying to see a one-man-band wearing a party hat and hot pink glasses in 60fps I think.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Was Psychic in the original version, because I feel like I would have remembered a class this brutally kickass.

It was only in X-2 International I think. Also I might be making this up but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they got the voice actors to record new lines during battle for those dressspheres which is kinda cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mischitary posted:

The FPS was already pretty good in battles but it's gonna be satisfying to see a one-man-band wearing a party hat and hot pink glasses in 60fps I think.

I don't know, the desert area was pretty goddamn awful.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Goons, a moment of your time to shift over to merchandise talk.

I'm looking for some suggestions to buy a :black101: kickass FF themed statue (made with PVC, Resin, that sort of thing).

No, not like this...

More like these...

:eyepop:

So please share your statues, or any that you know of, preferably with links on where to order :phone:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Goons, a moment of your time to shift over to merchandise talk.

I'm looking for some suggestions to buy a :black101: kickass FF themed statue (made with PVC, Resin, that sort of thing).

No, not like this...

More like these...

:eyepop:

So please share your statues, or any that you know of, preferably with links on where to order :phone:

I could never bring myself to order a video game statue/figurine, but that Magitek armor is awesome.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It was only in X-2 International I think. Also I might be making this up but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they got the voice actors to record new lines during battle for those dressspheres which is kinda cool

I saw a compilation video of all the Dresspheres on YT that had Psychic and Festivalist and both had "transformation quotes" I've never heard before so that seems like it's true.

Paine's VA needs to be in more things.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, the desert area was pretty goddamn awful.

Really? I haven't played the game in months but I can't remember the FPS in the battles ever being awful. Maybe it was because after running around the world at 10 fps when I got into a battle that was like 25 it made it feel like sweet sweet relief.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Im_Special posted:

Square posted http://steamcommunity.com/games/292120/announcements/detail/251401353223653928 about a December Update for FF13.

And 13-2 Steam has a Store page now with a December 11th release and a description:

So at least their learning, gently caress if they don't make languages optional though, 60GB's is UGH.

But but! SE put out a lovely product and no one should have ever bought it because obviously SE will never improve even when they see there's a market for it!!! So these improvements are obviously all lies to trick you gullible saps into giving them your money!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I wonder what DLC will be included with FFXIII-2? It states a "range of DLC" but that could mean anything. I suppose at the very least, the Lightning Requiem will be included. I'm still waiting for a package deal (or a steam sale) to buy in. I've done the first and second game on PS3 but never played LR. That's the one I'm really waiting for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

I wonder what DLC will be included with FFXIII-2? It states a "range of DLC" but that could mean anything. I suppose at the very least, the Lightning Requiem will be included. I'm still waiting for a package deal (or a steam sale) to buy in. I've done the first and second game on PS3 but never played LR. That's the one I'm really waiting for.

I think the Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed DLC is probably the stuff that will be iffiest since Ubi and EA have their own competitor services.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I guess I really suck at LR cuz I just beat what im guessing is the first boss (Noel) and got 0 stars.

Im having trouble with the HUD. It shows that my ATB is practically full but not enough to use certain spells. Is it just really delayed in depleting after the button press? Also, in easy mode it says youre fully healed after each battle...Im never healed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

TommyGun85 posted:

I guess I really suck at LR cuz I just beat what im guessing is the first boss (Noel) and got 0 stars.

Im having trouble with the HUD. It shows that my ATB is practically full but not enough to use certain spells. Is it just really delayed in depleting after the button press? Also, in easy mode it says youre fully healed after each battle...Im never healed.

Hmm, well remember that you have three ATB bars, one for each schema you have equipped. So make sure you're looking at the correct bar. Some skills do just take a ton of ATB to use, but if it's almost full you should be able to use pretty much anything (especially stuff you have early game, assuming you're not using some DLC garb with strange abilities).

Also, the description for easy mode is a bit misleading- you heal after battle, but you are not fully healed after battle. Rather, you regenerate health on Easy mode at a semi-slow pace, so you still need to keep an eye on your health if you're getting into battles in quick succession.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

They're not statues, but I did just spend $40 on neat FF6 swag.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh man that shirt is ballin. I myself like FF6, but not enough to get a shirt for it... one of my bros, though, he would dig it if I got him that shirt for Christmas.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

But but! SE put out a lovely product and no one should have ever bought it because obviously SE will never improve even when they see there's a market for it!!! So these improvements are obviously all lies to trick you gullible saps into giving them your money!

lol I almost forgot people argued that position at one point.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my God.

http://www.fangamer.com/products/blitz-comics

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Amazon is probably your best bet, so you can get stuff like this:

Or you can be that guy who spends $1,200 on a replica of Gabranth's helmet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The White Dragon posted:

Oh man that shirt is ballin. I myself like FF6, but not enough to get a shirt for it... one of my bros, though, he would dig it if I got him that shirt for Christmas.

I wish they had more of a selection, especially since this site seems to have the only gaming shirts I've seen that I'd actually wear in public.

Oh drat, now I wish I saw that before I did my order.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think the "lololol he suplexed a train!!!" meme is played out, but this is fantastic.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the "lololol he suplexed a train!!!" meme is played out, but this is fantastic.

Yeah the best part is Cyan in the corner.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I had no idea that awesome picture was ever printed, I may need to buy one.

Anyway the more I power through the Cie'th missions in XIII the more I continue like the game. I always liked the battle system, but it really shines when you're trying to figure out the best way to five-star total fuckers, and the satisfaction you get when you hit on the right paradigms and paradigm switches is pretty great.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Whoever said that teaching Yuna black magic made Lulu obsolete wasn't kidding. Yuna with the -ra spells is out damaging Lulu with the -ga spells.

Anyway, I'm in the final area (I think? It's Zarkanand) and this game is really starting to fall off. None of the enemies have weaknesses any more so every fight is just a slog that you have to brute force. The lack of weaknesses means Tidus, Lulu, and Kimarhi have completely fallen off too and Rikku would have as well if Al Behd Potions weren't the only halfway decent group heal.

It was a fun ride up until now but honestly I might just restart with the Expert Grid depending on how it changes things.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno how you could see Tidus, the first character who can get Quick Strike and Haste/ga, as one of your more lackluster members. Kimahri is poo poo, yeah, and Lulu's overdrive outgrows her magic score right around when you get to Zanarkand, but Tidus has one of the best overdrives in the game and, thanks to his speedy loadout, is THE best character in the game until you get to the point where you can move everyone across the entire sphere board.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zanerkand? You still got a good 3-4 hours of game left, assuming no endgame sidequests. And as TWD said, Tidus is the most useful party member with hasteaga alone, but also being the 2nd fastest character so he's almost guaranteed to Haste the party as the first move of every battle.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think around the end of their Expert grids Auron, Wakka and Tidus all sort of intersect so you can just go back and forth between their endgame grids and all of them will hit hard and fast too. Quick Hit is deceptively the best skill in the game even if it was nerfed in the HD version, and everyone needs to pop into Tidus' grid to pick it up. It "just" does a normal attack that uses less of your speed so you can move again sooner, but once your attacks get to max damage doing a faster version is actually the most damaging thing you can do.

Hastega+3 guys doing Quick Hit is actually the best thing once you get your stats up

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Cool poster. In case you didn't know already, the person who drew that also did a lot of stuff for Game Center CX so see that thread for more info.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Anyway, I'm in the final area (I think? It's Zarkanand) and this game is really starting to fall off. None of the enemies have weaknesses any more so every fight is just a slog that you have to brute force. The lack of weaknesses means Tidus, Lulu, and Kimarhi have completely fallen off too and Rikku would have as well if Al Behd Potions weren't the only halfway decent group heal.

At this point weaknesses become less obvious and more tricks with enemy AI. Try using demi and bio. Poison is really effective against some big health enemies. Demi won't trigger things like a bomb's timer. You want to do other things like put Tonberries to sleep. Slow and haste spells are really useful. Use life or cure spells on the zombie enemies.

Even into the optional dungeon enemies usually have a trick if they don't have an obvious weakness that's the key to beating them. Otherwise just abuse summons for the random battles as the next boss few fights will only let you get one turn off with an aeon before ohko-ing it. You might want to have some overdrives precharged.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Mega64 posted:

They're not statues, but I did just spend $40 on neat FF6 swag.
These are both awesome :swoon:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Happy Blue Cow posted:

These are both awesome :swoon:

The poster with Rydia facing off against Golbez over Cecil's wounded body is pretty badass as well, I must admit.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I haven't gotten a ton of use out of the Haste/Slow spells (most bosses counter the former and almost every enemy seems to be immune to the latter) which is why I said Tidus wasn't very useful.

The Bio/Demi tips were actually really useful, so thanks for those! Kimarhi might even find a use if only as a way to use less ethers on casting those spells.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:vince:
This is going on my Christmas list.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Scrap Dragon posted:

I haven't gotten a ton of use out of the Haste/Slow spells (most bosses counter the former and almost every enemy seems to be immune to the latter) which is why I said Tidus wasn't very useful.

The Bio/Demi tips were actually really useful, so thanks for those! Kimarhi might even find a use if only as a way to use less ethers on casting those spells.

There are only a small handful of bosses which react to haste in any way (such as changing their AI, or having an attack that dispels it). "Most bosses" do not in any way counter it, and it's almost always a good idea to use by default.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Vil posted:

There are only a small handful of bosses which react to haste in any way (such as changing their AI, or having an attack that dispels it). "Most bosses" do not in any way counter it, and it's almost always a good idea to use by default.

Yeah, Haste is so useful that putting Auto Haste on my armor is a "must have" for nearly all situations. That and Auto Protect.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

bloodychill posted:

The poster with Rydia facing off against Golbez over Cecil's wounded body is pretty badass as well, I must admit.

I can't find that one; link to it? Derp, nevermind. Didn't realize it was in the list of "other stuff people who bought this bought" at the bottom. :downs:

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
so im playing LR, on day 3.

Is it possible im trying to do too much in each day by always using chronostasis and the killing enemies to replenish my EP to the point that they are becoming extinct which will screw me on later days?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Enemies becoming extinct is only a good thing, actually.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Enemies becoming extinct is only a good thing, actually.

but that means I wont be able to replenish my EP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Hint: There are enemies that can't be exterminated