Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The funniest part for me was this one because the nerdy kid was blowing in chunks so hard his mouth disappeared. His thought process right there was "I have no mouth, and I must scream"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Pretend that my last post was about them losing communications when they're standing within arm's reach of each other.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Carstairs posted:

Pretend that my last post was about them losing communications when they're standing within arm's reach of each other.

The holographic booths are probably soundproofed to drown out the crowd watching, and so such tactics are possible :shrug:.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, the booth is magic just like plavisky particles. Like a person could get their head of the booth and have a complete view of the battlefield including where the other gunpla are so restricting what they can see and hear makes sense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The holographic booths are probably soundproofed to drown out the crowd watching, and so such tactics are possible :shrug:.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, the booth is magic just like plavisky particles. Like a person could get their head of the booth and have a complete view of the battlefield including where the other gunpla are so restricting what they can see and hear makes sense.

Yeah, I mean why else would they communicate over the in Booth radios?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
The Winning Gundam owns and that is all that needs to be said on the matter.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't get me wrong, I understand and fully accept that a wizard did it.

But it is still silly. As silly as everything else in the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Carstairs posted:

Don't get me wrong, I understand and fully accept that a wizard did it.

But it is still silly. As silly as everything else in the show.

Oh very true. Which would you rather have? A little console in front of you, or a kick-rear end pseudo Gundam cockpit to go pew-pew with like you're actually in your Gunpla? :v:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I just figured it out. The final form team upgrade will be each members gunpla combining to form a super Mobile Armor to defeat the mega sized Neo Zeong they're fighting. I have the gunpla hype!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Winning really is ingeniously made, like every part (except the arms maybe?) has a dual purpose. The legs are the sniper enhancement, part of the chest and backpack are the knuckle, part of its chest and the head are the core fighter. You could see when she activated it for the first time that part of the head is a jet thruster. The SDs having larger heads proportionally means you could actually do this sort of thing. Also bigger head means bigger vulcans. It's way more creative than anything Sei came up with even if its not as tuned or straight up broken like their plav gimmick stuff.

I hope Fumina eventually upgrades the winning again. Maybe whoever inevitably has to fix Burning will give her some tips on how to utilize plavsky tech on it. And it will look awesome and it'll get a master grade version :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'd say she has some basic knowledge of plavsky manipulation. The gate that appeared when Yuuma sniped one of the Ez-8s was extremely similar to the SBS' discharge mode gates.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I thought it was a pretty boring episode until the second half, which coincidentally is also exactly when Gyanko showed up.

Excluding her the entire supporting cast collectively has the personality and force of presence of a knee-high stack of cardboard boxes, but at least the fight was real cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sleggar dude is just Sleggar though, it would be real funny if he just straight up replaced the president of that team.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'd say Sakai's been getting a fair bit of characterization in all his appearances. It's not flashy or in your face like, say, Mao was but you can tell a bit about how he feels, at least in relation to Gunpla building and battling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was mostly down with this episode. The parts I disliked most are honestly those involving the Try Team part of the fight thought.

Yuuma just spent the entire battle hiding behind a wall. They justified it with his character but still, it's kinda frustrating since we're still not really seeing teamwork, just individual excellence.

Even beyond that they emphasized "they can't win unless they work together" but working together in this case just means "Fumina powers them up." And once again we get basically the exact same winning combination. Yuuma snipes out, Fumina shoots one who is distracted, Sekai does a kung-fu move on one.

Winning Gundam's plot-role being "power up the guys" is pretty eyerolling. It's nice they gave her a kill despite that but we'll see how she does when her machine's most powerful iconic purpose is giving Yuuma and Sekai better weapons.

... it also raises the question of 'why not just give them those weapons from the start' now too. They're no longer secrets and any advantage that came from Winning Gundam revealing them at the last moment is kinda lost.

The Gunpla Battle rules are also honestly kind of dumb. The one I take the most umbrage with is the "if it's a tie, the two remaining fighters have to have a one-on-one battle" one, which is pretty clearly going to be an excuse for Sekai (and possibly Yuuma and Fumina) to have their epic Season 1 style duels so they don't have to write a three-on-three battle that way.

The EZ-8 Team owns though and I wish we'd gotten to see more of them. I also wish they had a goddamn personality though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 12, 2014

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Pureauthor posted:

I'd say she has some basic knowledge of plavsky manipulation. The gate that appeared when Yuuma sniped one of the Ez-8s was extremely similar to the SBS' discharge mode gates.

Everybody knows that the best beams have cool cosmetic effects right before you fire. A beam with extra stuff will always trump one without it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Sleggar dude is just Sleggar though, it would be real funny if he just straight up replaced the president of that team.

Was the captain of the Science Team supposed to be a reference to someone? He felt like it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I was mostly down with this episode. The parts I disliked most are honestly those involving the Try Team part of the fight thought.

I think it's going to continue being a problem going forward, and I don't really think the directors understood what made the first run of the show so popular.

Compared to the first season the cast of the show is a lot weaker, the leads are more interesting together, but i'd say all of the rivals so far are some variant of 'super serious about robot fighting' instead of likeable goofballs like fellini/aila/mao/nils/etc. That's why people are so attached to Gyanko, she's the only person that feels like she has any personality at all.

That and the fights themselves seem a bit less interesting this time around, always devolving into the single takedown from sniping or being shot a lot or punched to death, The fight is happening and then all of a sudden its over, the pacing and tension aren't there so much.

There still hasn't been anything as great as the zaku fight from episode 2, and that's what I think more than anything really sold people on the series to begin with.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 12, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A cool thing about team fights is you can have dramatic comeback victories and a good back and forth as teams whittle each other down to their last machines, but that hasn't happened yet in this show so far.

It really is closer to the fights people had complaints about last season, where the fight was happening and then the knuckles came out and it just ended. The teams lose all together and win all together, once one machine is down the fight never continues on, and teams never regroup, they just fall apart because now it is time for everybody to kill one machine each.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I seriously cannot comprehend what else you'd want in Fumina as a character Imp. You seem so loving bitter at her despite being literally the closest thing to a female protagonist in gundam in decades. I'm just guessing that you have irrationally high expectations of her. What do you want in her?

I mean look at her. She's the groups leader, no questions asked. She's literally the backbone of the group, both from a moral and strategic perspective. She's the only one in the group with a defined goal "Get to the nationals and win", the other guys are "Help get the girl to the nationals like I promised" and "I want to punch all the things"

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 12, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I overall liked the episode, and the Winning gundam is rad, but while Winning Road being "Do your thing more better" makes sense, it also doesn't really add a whole lot to the show or fights and reduces them to one shot and done. Hopefully it will be like the absorb shield from last season where it gets used basically once to show it off, then every opponent with a brain just goes lolno and effortlessly negates it.

Gyanko is of course still the best, and Sakai is really growing on me. He's just a dude who wants to have some friends but is completely terrible at it and won't admit it and now totally has a crush on Fumina.

But next episode is finally budget Destiny guy. Get excited.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I seriously cannot comprehend what else you'd want in Fumina as a character Imp. You seem so loving bitter at her despite being literally the closest thing to a female protagonist in gundam in decades. I'm just guessing that you have irrationally high expectations of her. What do you want in her?

I mean look at her. She's the groups leader, no questions asked. She's literally the backbone of the group, both from a moral and strategic perspective. She's the only one in the group with a defined goal "Get to the nationals and win", the other guys are "Help get the girl to the nationals like I promised" and "I want to punch all the things"

I want her to have a role which isn't being the powerup-distributing character for the male characters. I don't believe this is an exceedingly unreasonable request for either a Gundam series nor a team battle series. I'm not expecting her to be someone who utterly redefines gender roles. I'm just expecting her to be on-par with characters like Emma or Roux in terms of being presented as something beside. My ideal would be her being Chihaya from Chihayafuru as a Gunpla Battler but I know that's not going to happen despite them being very similar characters.

Her role as team captain and strategist would be great if they were using teamwork and strategy but so far that hasn't really happened aside from the Gyanko battle. They even said this episode that last episode showed off their individual talents but this episode... also was about their individual talents, Fumina just gave them a powerup that let them win. This is the first battle where they went up against another team that used strong tactics and her path of victory was, as Sekai said, "just be stronger than they are!"

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I watched in haste before work this morning but did Winning Gundam put itself back together after using Winning Road? That seems like it would be a major problem if the one shot kills don't work out.

I really hope straight build guy is as cool/sympathetic as the preview is making him out to be, as a guy who can't really paint models because of my eyes he could be my hero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I watched in haste before work this morning but did Winning Gundam put itself back together after using Winning Road? That seems like it would be a major problem if the one shot kills don't work out.

I really hope straight build guy is as cool/sympathetic as the preview is making him out to be, as a guy who can't really paint models because of my eyes he could be my hero.

It did. You saw it in the Psyco Mock fight. It couldn't after the EZ-8 fight because they blew up one of the parts. (I think.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 12, 2014

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ImpAtom posted:

It did. You saw it in the Psyco Mock fight. It couldn't after the EZ-8 fight because they blew up one of the parts.

Okay cool, I remember seeing a bunch of the parts that aren't being used for Winning Road falling away and am kinda interested in how all of those came back together so perfectly since things like the waist parts aren't 'piloted'.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Okay cool, I remember seeing a bunch of the parts that aren't being used for Winning Road falling away and am kinda interested in how all of those came back together so perfectly since things like the waist parts aren't 'piloted'.

They may be piloted. Remember what the rules said at the start? Separating Gundams are allowed but only if each individual part is piloted.

It's a little unclear because it did look like they were just falling.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
So I might have been misunderstanding the tournament rules, but didn't they say that each part of a conjoining/seperating gundam has to be piloted by a team member? Or was it just piloted in general?

Not that it really applies to Fumina I guess since the Winning Parts aren't actually a support unit or anything other than extra weapons, but I am laughing because that means that Victory Gundam has the same team entry limitations as a mobile armor.

Somewhere out there there's a team of nerds with a Victory fighting against a Psycho Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samba De Amigo posted:

So I might have been misunderstanding the tournament rules, but didn't they say that each part of a conjoining gundam has to be piloted by a team member? Or was it just piloted in general?

Just piloted in general. Mobile Armors need to be piloted by the entire team.

Samba De Amigo posted:

Not that it really applies to Fumina I guess since the Winning Parts aren't actually a support unit or anything other than extra weapons, but I am laughing because that means that Victory Gundam has the same team entry limitations as a mobile armor.

We know this isn't true because the team with the Sleggar guy has a Victory-Impulse on it.

It does kind of emphasize how silly the rules are though. The Agrissa-Enact is literally impossible to enter into tournaments under these rules. Also the Moebius from SEED would require three pilots.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Samba De Amigo posted:

Somewhere out there there's a team of nerds with a Victory fighting against a Psycho Gundam.

No, Victory is specifically pointed out as a unit that can be piloted by one person as long as that one person controls the three separated parts.

But I can't lie, I would be that nerd. Really looking forward to that Victory showing up.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So character profiles for Simon and NotSleggar are up on the GBFTsite:

http://gundam-bf.net/characters/19/

And one thing of note in Simon's character profile is that he's a former boxing champion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

... it also raises the question of 'why not just give them those weapons from the start' now too. They're no longer secrets and any advantage that came from Winning Gundam revealing them at the last moment is kinda lost.

That's easily answered. The Road and the Gundam are suited for different situations - do you want to have three equally-powerful suits, or one eating a nerf to power up the other two? I doubt the Core Fighter is nearly as reliable a suit-killer as the Winning Gundam's full form.

And yeah, we already knew that a suit's pilot has full control over all its parts when they're separated. We saw it in Season One with the Build Strike's backpack and the GM Sniper K9's... everything.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 12, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

That's easily answered. The Road and the Gundam are suited for different situations - do you want to have three equally-powerful suits, or one eating a nerf to power up the other two? I doubt the Core Fighter is nearly as reliable a suit-killer as the Winning Gundam's full form.

Give those parts to Lightning and Burning outside of the battle, rebuild the Winning Gundam (possibly with different gimmicks.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This week's episode had a cooler fight than last but dang, did we really need two episodes in a row to show off new powerups? They could have rolled them into one episode and maybe spend the extra episode on developing another supporting character but that's just me.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

Just piloted in general. Mobile Armors need to be piloted by the entire team.

Also the Moebius from SEED would require three pilots.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure it specified powerful mobile armors. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Carstairs posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure it specified powerful mobile armors. :v:

The Moebius Zero kills mobile suits regularly. :colbert:

I wonder if you could argue the Zakarello isn't a powerful mobile armor, I mean it's pretty crappy... Maybe I just want a three-Zakarello team.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Srice posted:

This week's episode had a cooler fight than last but dang, did we really need two episodes in a row to show off new powerups? They could have rolled them into one episode and maybe spend the extra episode on developing another supporting character but that's just me.

I found it weird/funny that last week they tried to hype up the Winning Gundam going from waverider mode to SD Gundam mode as something anyone should care about and then this week the Ez-8 team was all 'Pft, it's just an SD. We don't need to worry about it.'

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Give those parts to Lightning and Burning outside of the battle, rebuild the Winning Gundam (possibly with different gimmicks.)

I think the Winning contributes its powerplant as well, though. There seems to be an upper limit on how powerful you can make a suit, even the best-built one possible (which is why we haven't ever seen, say, the Turn X Maoh win everything forever), which is what the Winning gets around by turning its teammates into one-and-a-half suits each. Simply fitting those weapons to the Build Burning and Lightning would make them part of the suit and downgrade their output.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

My ideal would be her being Chihaya from Chihayafuru as a Gunpla Battler but I know that's not going to happen despite them being very similar characters.

Thats what I was guessing. You want her to be Chihaya and that wouldn't work in this series. Chihaya is literally over powered, the only reason why it sort of works in S2 is because the format of the matches mean that each individual is having its own individual fight and she cant win all of them for her team (even though she could easily). Reminder, the only reason her team lost was because she had a stroke.

I love Chihaya, she's a fun character but she's threading the line of Mary Sueness and the only reason this hasn't been the case has been because of madhouses excellent presentation and because there are a few more broken players than her.

Regarding your other points. Why is it that a woman that, as the groups leader, decides that it would be best to have a suit that enhances her team mates while still allowing her to contribute to the fight a sign of weakness on her? Why cant it be interpreted as a weakness on her team mates instead? The show literally tells you that it wasn't the case of actual team work (Thank you WoG Sakai), this was a case of Fumina being the backbone of her team.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Pureauthor posted:

I found it weird/funny that last week they tried to hype up the Winning Gundam going from waverider mode to SD Gundam mode as something anyone should care about and then this week the Ez-8 team was all 'Pft, it's just an SD. We don't need to worry about it.'

They just didn't understand the heart/creativity of all Gunpla, then ate poo poo for discriminating/being mook team of the week. :owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Even Ral's compliment in the beginning of this ep was backhanded. He praises Sekai for being able to move in space, Yuu for having a transformation that makes him more than just a sniper, and he praised Hoshino for literally "being able to surprise them by transforming". I was just thinking "haha even Ral can't see how that was an upgrade either" (which if not for the OP showing the add-ons, I'd have the same question).

• Locked thread