Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The entire spectacle of hiring Hogan in '94 is just so absurd when you look at it now. A loving parade in the middle of Disney World and Mean Gene declaring "Get ready for the ride of your life!" and then...nothing until the formation of the nWo two years later.

WCW Hogan pre-nWo was a indeed a wild ride. Like doing a bunch of coke and MCing a children's hospital benefit wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Who did they realistically have to put the titles on though?

Over with the fans: Booker T, Goldberg, maybe Flair, Page, Sting?, Hart

Could be over, but had been buried: Awesome, Meng, Wright?, Hennig?, uhhhh Rotunda?

Fans were tired of: Sid, Nash, Hogan, Jarrett, Arquette, Russo, Luger, Savage

Could be over but would probably scare off employees: Scott Steiner

Flair was champion around May, so instead of hotshotting the belt to Jarret then Nash then vacated then Flair but actually Sid when he pins the wrong Harris brother in a dignity on a pole match, you could have maybe done a feud between Booker T and Flair with Flair passing the torch at a Summer PPV while you rebuild Goldberg as a monster who doesn't lose, climbing to the US title which now is an automatic #1 contender belt like in the old days. Booker holds the title until Starrcade when he and Goldberg have a big match with Goldberg going over and holding the title for at least a year. Nitro looked so pathetic and anemic on TV, run a European tour where Hart v Goldberg is the main event and you have big sold-out crowds as your background while giving US stadiums a break and rebuilding the worth of your title.

I think the real mistake of 2000 WCW was having anything to do with Jarrett ever. He's ratings poison and sucks hard as a main eventer, but I think Russo was able to convince the higher-ups it would be as big a coup as signing Hogan away from WWF.

No one cared about Flair anymore by that time. He wasn't drawing in the ratings or at the gate because they killed him so many times.

I find it hilarious they had an over as hell gimmick with the West Texas Rednecks and pretty much shitcanned it because they didn't get the reaction they wanted.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Akileese posted:

No one cared about Flair anymore by that time. He wasn't drawing in the ratings or at the gate because they killed him so many times.

I find it hilarious they had an over as hell gimmick with the West Texas Rednecks and pretty much shitcanned it because they didn't get the reaction they wanted.

Flair had drawn a major PPV number with Hogan as recently as 99 and is a ratings draw to this day. He'd pulled in a really big buyrate with Hart in early 98 too. He could easily have been rebuilt for a short run.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

ColeM posted:

Their biggest mistake was trying to be wwf ver.2. If they focused more on the wrestling and athleticism portion of the product as opposed to being edgey and full of sketches they could've still been around. Instead they were, at times, even worse than the wwf at their worst.

This, this, a million times this. I honestly believe every issue that killed WCW all boiled down to the fact that they had an inferiority complex. They were doing fair business and selling out stadiums for big events, but Vince had finally caught the public eye for the first time since the early days of TV and his wrestlers were appearing on sports magazines and talk shows. So instead of being themselves, they tried to be Vince. If it hadn't been for Turner, this would have likely killed them in the late 80's, and ultimately in the long run it killed them anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TNA's biggest mistake was "Let's start a wrestling company with a weekly PPV business model" because the company was doomed to failure before any direction could be found.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Now that I've caught all the Nitros they have on the network, and going back and trying to watch Raw from the same period, it's easy to see why WCW was getting so popular. Yes it's largely the Hulk Hogan show and all the crap that comes with it, but it felt like outside of that there was still so much going on, and with the cruiserweights in there you're simply getting better wrestling week after week.

I really think WCW nailed the "This is a live show and we don't have a clue what's going to happen next" feel without it going into parody as it later did. People want that type of show to a degree. People want to think that anything might happen, they don't want to see everything happening because you just suffer burnout and confusion.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

Flair had drawn a major PPV number with Hogan as recently as 99 and is a ratings draw to this day. He'd pulled in a really big buyrate with Hart in early 98 too. He could easily have been rebuilt for a short run.

Flair was part of a major heel stable years later in the WWF/E, and had a huge retirement angle.

WCW absolutely would've made money on a Goldberg vs. Flair program.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Red posted:

Flair was part of a major heel stable years later in the WWF/E, and had a huge retirement angle.

WCW absolutely would've made money on a Goldberg vs. Flair program.

I really can't for the life of me see how this would ever really work. Flair was in good shape for a guy in his fifties, but it's Goldberg.

The dynamic would be watching a fan favorite absolutely kill an old man, and ugh.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

I really can't for the life of me see how this would ever really work. Flair was in good shape for a guy in his fifties, but it's Goldberg.

The dynamic would be watching a fan favorite absolutely kill an old man, and ugh.

Goldberg being some completely incapable lovely worker being a thing people latched onto is a thing I don't get.

He's a much, much better worker than anybody who main evented loving Starrcade other than Bret Hart from the birth of the nWo on, and even then Bret in WCW was pretty much a total disaster due to booking.

Fans loved Ric Flair, but they also loved seeing Ric Flair get beat up by people they liked. People liked Goldberg, therefore the match would work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't remember exactly when it happen, but the one major mistake that was actually Flair's was that he decided he wanted to play heel when the fans wanted to root for him against the nWo.

Flair played cheating chickenshit heel better than anybody, and I'm sure he could have made Goldberg look like a million bucks and the good guy on top of it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So... you've never seen a face take on a heel stable, and have to mow through them to have to get to their leader?

Also - Rock and Flair's stuff during the 2 on 3 match at WM20 was great, and took place after WCW closed, so I have no idea what the problem is.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

This does remind me of an amusing anecdote from back in the day when Goldberg was a guest on the Dennis Miller Show. He said that he was wrestling Flair and he picked him up for the Jackhammer. While holding him up, Flair whispered into his ear, "Two things you need to remember right now. I love you... and I am 50-years-old."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Flair claimed he passed a WWE physical at 64 and he could totally still wrestle if they wanted him to.

Flair/Hogan at Mania 31.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Flair vs Goldberg would've worked because Flair would've cheated a lot and Charles Robinson would've did slow count pinfalls for Goldberg. It would've been good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah, it's not as if Flair was never booked to wrestle a guy who was supposed to be physically and athletically superior before. I think if Flair took a Goldberg spear he might die, though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Which is harder on the back out of the spear and the jackhammer? I can't see Flair taking either with great comfort

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Flair claimed he passed a WWE physical at 64 and he could totally still wrestle if they wanted him to.

Flair/Hogan at Mania 31.

This is one of two matches that Hogans been talking about wanting to do during recent radio rounds. The other is Sting...

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Skinty McEdger posted:

This is one of two matches that Hogans been talking about wanting to do during recent radio rounds. The other is Sting...

He said that he definitely doesn't want to do Sting

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ChampRamp posted:

He said that he definitely doesn't want to do Sting

"GIMME THE BELT" --Hogan, 1994

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

Which is harder on the back out of the spear and the jackhammer? I can't see Flair taking either with great comfort

They could've done a spot where Goldberg misses a spear and dives right into a corner post and injures it for the rest of the match, voila now Goldberg won't do any moves that injure Flair.

Make the finish be Goldberg tapping out Flair with a figure four.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

1st AD posted:

They could've done a spot where Goldberg misses a spear and dives right into a corner post and injures it for the rest of the match, voila now Goldberg won't do any moves that injure Flair.

Make the finish be Goldberg tapping out Flair with a figure four.

No, it's all good.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Would of liked it if they had done Jericho Vs. Goldberg. That would of been great.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Great White Hope posted:

Goldberg being some completely incapable lovely worker being a thing people latched onto is a thing I don't get.

That's great, but where did I say that Goldberg was an incredibly lovely worker. The only real end of that feud would have been gently caress finishes galore, or Goldberg turning heel. Neither of those should have really happened in late WCW, it needed some time to recover from the nWo finally melting away.

Red posted:

So... you've never seen a face take on a heel stable, and have to mow through them to have to get to their leader?

Also - Rock and Flair's stuff during the 2 on 3 match at WM20 was great, and took place after WCW closed, so I have no idea what the problem is.

I'm glad you agree with Nash's vision for Goldberg '99.

The comment really had nothing about Flair's ability to go in the ring. Flair vs Goldberg would have been a match I would have paid to see if Flair was somehow 10 years or so younger, running the 4 Horsemen (and not watching them all retire or leave the company). But Flair was not that young, and the major story would be how Goldberg would absolutely kill Flair with most of his offense, short of gently caress finishes or Goldberg killing an old man who was supremely over at that point.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Actually this was better than I thought it would be, goddamn those long TV segments during the Attitude era were annoying though. Do they still do that poo poo?

Also what is it with Goldberg and almost kissing dudes? Happened when HBK entered here, and I remembered it happening one time on Nitro when Nash saved him from a beatdown.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I'm glad you agree with Nash's vision for Goldberg '99.

The comment really had nothing about Flair's ability to go in the ring. Flair vs Goldberg would have been a match I would have paid to see if Flair was somehow 10 years or so younger, running the 4 Horsemen (and not watching them all retire or leave the company). But Flair was not that young, and the major story would be how Goldberg would absolutely kill Flair with most of his offense, short of gently caress finishes or Goldberg killing an old man who was supremely over at that point.

So you're thinking that 2000-2001 Flair couldn't have gotten anything but sympathy face pops versus heel heat?

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Akileese posted:

I loved the West Texas Rednecks. It was pretty obvious they were supossed to be heels, but were so funny - and were up against the unlikable No Limit Soldiers - that they got cheered. Flair should have been an authority figure that wrestles sporadically, with the implication that he's clinically insane. Same goes for Piper. I wasn't tired of Nash, or Sid for that matter, Hogan and Savage (especially Savage, the greatest wrestling character of all time) were always welcomed on my TV screen, but they didn't necessarily have to be heavily featured. I wanted guys like Booker and DDP in the main event. Sting, too. Yes, Sting. I for one am a Sting mark, and in WCW, he could have been the champ for 500 consecutive days, I wouldn't mind. What I did mind was Jarrett. He has that 'switch the channel' heat and to this day, when I watch old wrestling videos, I usually skip whenever he's on.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was going to say, although the angle backfired when the audience reacted with clearly racist overtones, it's easy to see why someone would prefer the Rednecks over the No Limit Soldiers, who basically acted like a mini-nWo (or similar to what I've heard about Aces & Eights). And they got me to think that Virgil was amusing for five minutes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The No Limit Soldiers sucked and "Rap is Crap" was fun. Its that simple. Its a drat shame that there was undeniably a racial aspect in play there because Master P deserved to be booed all on his own merits.

But at least the No Limit Soldiers dying meant the Filthy Animals could happen because I for one was a fan of them. And even if you weren't and were hung up on Rey without a mask you should remember that the Filthy Animals is basically where most of Eddie's awesome "Lie, Cheat, and Steal" stuff originated.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
GIS'ing 'WCW stupidity' brings back fond memories.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Say Nothing posted:

GIS'ing 'WCW stupidity' brings back fond memories.

Is that a shadow or did Hogan's stubble paint get smeared?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is that a shadow or did Hogan's stubble paint get smeared?

Top part is a shadow from the rope, bottom part is his stubble. I think the most striking thing about this picture is the difference in skin colour between his body and his head.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rad R. posted:

What I did mind was Jarrett. He has that 'switch the channel' heat and to this day, when I watch old wrestling videos, I usually skip whenever he's on.

Jarrett got a lot better once he changed character a little in the WWF. He used to be really, really bad during the wannabe country singer period, or any of his older Memphis horseshit.

He still shouldn't have been a focal point of WCW or TNA programming, but at least he improved a little.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Red posted:

Jarrett got a lot better once he changed character a little in the WWF. He used to be really, really bad during the wannabe country singer period, or any of his older Memphis horseshit.

Uhhh the man came to the ring in a glowing jacket & hat on a HORSE and also had sparkly pyro. How dare you speak ill of J-E-Double-F J-A-Double-R-E-Double-T, oh ain't he great!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just like Alberto Del Rio, JJ's problem was his valet was more popular than him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I hate Jarrett so much. I know he had family connections, but how did he get so much TV time in three promotions while being so unlikable?

Are there Jarrett fans? I can't even imagine a person who doesn't want to change the channel when Jarrett is onscreen.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vince Russo.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Halloween Jack posted:

I hate Jarrett so much. I know he had family connections, but how did he get so much TV time in three promotions while being so unlikable?

Are there Jarrett fans? I can't even imagine a person who doesn't want to change the channel when Jarrett is onscreen.

I've always liked Jeff Jarrett, I can't explain why.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

This is how I feel about Bob Holly, except instead of family connections he just had beautiful, beautiful pecs.

Actually that explains everything.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

WWF was nepotism
WCW liked to promote ex WWF guys
TNA was nepotism

So nepotism and WCW being WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Jarrett had his moments. Probably can count then on one hand.