Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

epalm posted:

The "help file" that ships with our software is a directory containing html files, which comes from an MS Word document -> Save As Web Page :stare:

Part of the reason why our documentation isn't great is because one guy here "owns" that word document. It would be way better if it was public (within the company), and a group of people could edit it, and it would have edit versioning, and so on. Sounds like a wiki to me.

IIS is a dependency of our software, so I'm looking into .NET wikis and CMSs. Anyone have any suggestions? Something like http://userguide.tomecms.org/ looks like it might fit the bill, but I have no idea what's "good".

How do you provide Documentation / User Guides to your clients via the .NET stack?

They were used for internal documentation (e.g. Customer Support scripts, company policies, holiday calendering, release notes etc.) and not customer facing, but I've used ScrewTurn Wiki quite a few times in the past:
http://www.microsoft.com/web/screwturnwiki/

You say IIS is a dependency which implies enterprise stuff though, I'm not sure if lumping in a whole CMS/wiki package into the install would, for example, not create headaches in terms of a security audit. (e.g. what happens if an exploit is found in STW?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Scaramouche posted:

They were used for internal documentation (e.g. Customer Support scripts, company policies, holiday calendering, release notes etc.) and not customer facing, but I've used ScrewTurn Wiki quite a few times in the past:
http://www.microsoft.com/web/screwturnwiki/

You say IIS is a dependency which implies enterprise stuff though, I'm not sure if lumping in a whole CMS/wiki package into the install would, for example, not create headaches in terms of a security audit. (e.g. what happens if an exploit is found in STW?)

Well, I suppose I'd want authors to deal with a (web-application-backed) wiki, and our clients to deal with a User Guide in a browser, but that doesn't mean the CMS has to be running on the client's machine. I think what I'm really after is CMS/Wiki software that can gracefully export its entire contents (html, css, js, images) to a folder. That way, there's no CMS to hack on the client's machine.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ah I get you. Then ScrewTurnWiki might not be the solution, it doesn't have native export support:
http://www.wikimatrix.org/show/screwturn-wiki

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I have an ASP.NET MVC question.

My site requires user registration and an administrator has to approve each new user before they can log in. I want the admins to be able to see the list of users and be able to approve/reject new ones with a single click, no going to a confirmation page or anything. As I understand these things, since these will be operations that affect the database I want to do them in POST methods.

My HTML looks something like this:

HTML code:
@foreach (var user in Model)
{
    <tr>
        <td>
            @Html.DisplayFor(m => user.UserName)
        </td>
        <td>
            @Html.DisplayFor(m => user.FirstName)
        </td>
        <td>
            @Html.DisplayFor(m => user.LastName)
        </td>
        <td>
            @* Button to approve user *@ | @* Button to reject user *@
        </td>
    </tr>
}
My question is, how do I handle form submissions in this case? Do I just make a separate form for each iteration of the loop? It will never have a large number of users but it could still potentially mean like a dozen separate forms being generated on a single page. Is it even possible to use a single form for this?

Please keep in mind, this is a learner project, so if there's something obvious and fundamental I'm missing, be gentle :shobon:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think I see your confusion; you're struggling with the idea that each button could potentially be a submit and how to handle them independently? What I'm wondering is, why have a button for each one and the round-trip that implies? You could have checkboxes or radios instead (with the default set to approve/reject depending how often each comes up). Then the form can handle each box/id in a FOR...EACH operation with only one submit.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

epalm posted:

Well, I suppose I'd want authors to deal with a (web-application-backed) wiki, and our clients to deal with a User Guide in a browser, but that doesn't mean the CMS has to be running on the client's machine. I think what I'm really after is CMS/Wiki software that can gracefully export its entire contents (html, css, js, images) to a folder. That way, there's no CMS to hack on the client's machine.

Maybe something likey jekyll would work here.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Scaramouche posted:

I think I see your confusion; you're struggling with the idea that each button could potentially be a submit and how to handle them independently? What I'm wondering is, why have a button for each one and the round-trip that implies? You could have checkboxes or radios instead (with the default set to approve/reject depending how often each comes up). Then the form can handle each box/id in a FOR...EACH operation with only one submit.

Mostly I'm dealing with people who I know really struggle with anything computer. I didn't want to introduce an extra step, and "push button, thing happen" is as simple as I came up with. Radio buttons probably are a better plan though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Che Delilas posted:

Mostly I'm dealing with people who I know really struggle with anything computer. I didn't want to introduce an extra step, and "push button, thing happen" is as simple as I came up with. Radio buttons probably are a better plan though.

I got you. If you're still married to the idea, you could fake it out with link buttons. I have no idea how 'MVC' that is, but instead of doing a full submit just have a link button with href="blah.aspx?userid=xx&approve=1" and then let the code behind process it. Insecure as hell and messy to boot.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Scaramouche posted:

I got you. If you're still married to the idea, you could fake it out with link buttons. I have no idea how 'MVC' that is, but instead of doing a full submit just have a link button with href="blah.aspx?userid=xx&approve=1" and then let the code behind process it. Insecure as hell and messy to boot.

I don't think there's a clean way to do it the way I want to. Another problem is that you can do this from multiple places (a "manage users" page and the main admin control panel 'dashboard' thing), and approval/rejection is not the only thing you can do with users. Like you can delete/deactivate accounts and manage their roles too.

I think what I'm going to do is reorganize everything so you get to do one function at a time. So no more "manage users" uberpage with all the functionality right there, instead we're going to have a "These are the users awaiting approval" page (with the single form, radio button approach), a "Change User Roles" page, and a Deactivate Users page. That way, each function can be accessed from multiple places if I need to (dashboard/manage users page), each page has one thing you can do on it, and it won't flood anyone with information. It's more clicks but it'll probably be less confusing, and this isn't an area that anyone is going to need to spend a lot of time in; extra clicks aren't a huge deal.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

epalm posted:

How do you provide Documentation / User Guides to your clients via the .NET stack?

Entirely in MarkDown, on github. Allow anyone to submit pull-requests to improve the docs.

That's not how my team does docs, but it would be pretty awesome and agile and open.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I started using MarkDown for all my personal notes and documentation on things (because MarkDownPad for Windows is awesome). I had no idea on the (php) history of it or whatever. Then I read this and this and was like, holy poo poo, is there anything people won't waste their time arguing about?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
How do I use stream.CopyToAsync(stream) in F#?

I use the following, it is what I got working:

code:
[<Literal>]
let source = @"C:\Origin\"
[<Literal>]
let destination = @"C:\Destination\"

let cancellationSource = new CancellationTokenSource()

let CopyFile file=
    async{
          printfn "Starting copy of: %s" file
          let buffer = Array.zeroCreate 4096
          use reader = new BufferedStream(new FileStream(file,FileMode.Open,FileAccess.Read))
          use writer = new BufferedStream(new FileStream(destination + Path.GetFileName(file),FileMode.Create,FileAccess.Write))
          let finished = ref false
          while not finished.Value do
            let! count = reader.AsyncRead(buffer,0,4096)
            do! writer.AsyncWrite(buffer,0,count)
	    finished := count <= 0	    
          reader.Flush()
          printfn "Copied: %s" file
          }

let files = 
    Directory.EnumerateFiles(source)
    |> Seq.iter(fun x -> Async.Start(CopyFile x,cancellationSource.Token))    

printfn "So sleepy......"  
Thread.Sleep(1000)
printfn "Cancelling workflows"
cancellationSource.Cancel()
It works pretty awesome, but the standard streams already support cancellation so this looks redundant to me.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 10, 2014

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Are you looking for Async.AwaitTask?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I use the following, it is what I got working:

code:
[<Literal>]
let source = @"C:\Origin\"
[<Literal>]
let destination = @"C:\Destination\"

let cancellationSource = new CancellationTokenSource()

let CopyFile file=
    async{
          printfn "Starting copy of: %s" file
          let buffer = Array.zeroCreate 4096
          use reader = new BufferedStream(new FileStream(file,FileMode.Open,FileAccess.Read))
          use writer = new BufferedStream(new FileStream(destination + Path.GetFileName(file),FileMode.Create,FileAccess.Write))
          let finished = ref false
          while not finished.Value do
            let! count = reader.AsyncRead(buffer,0,4096)
            do! writer.AsyncWrite(buffer,0,count)
	    finished := count <= 0	    
          reader.Flush()
          printfn "Copied: %s" file
          }

let files = 
    Directory.EnumerateFiles(source)
    |> Seq.iter(fun x -> Async.Start(CopyFile x,cancellationSource.Token))    

printfn "So sleepy......"  
Thread.Sleep(1000)
printfn "Cancelling workflows"
cancellationSource.Cancel()
It works pretty awesome, but the standard streams already support cancellation so this looks redundant to me.

F# async and C# async are different, totally

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Che Delilas posted:

I don't think there's a clean way to do it the way I want to. Another problem is that you can do this from multiple places (a "manage users" page and the main admin control panel 'dashboard' thing), and approval/rejection is not the only thing you can do with users. Like you can delete/deactivate accounts and manage their roles too.

I think what I'm going to do is reorganize everything so you get to do one function at a time. So no more "manage users" uberpage with all the functionality right there, instead we're going to have a "These are the users awaiting approval" page (with the single form, radio button approach), a "Change User Roles" page, and a Deactivate Users page. That way, each function can be accessed from multiple places if I need to (dashboard/manage users page), each page has one thing you can do on it, and it won't flood anyone with information. It's more clicks but it'll probably be less confusing, and this isn't an area that anyone is going to need to spend a lot of time in; extra clicks aren't a huge deal.

Why not make use of Ajax? The "link" is just an anchor tag that is bound to an event that fires an Ajax POST to your server. You could then register a callback on successful completion of that HTTP request to change that row, refresh the table, or do whatever you want to do.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
So I pretty much "get" what mvvm is supposed to do, and mostly how it should be implemented with WPF... but one thing I haven't figured out is, what is the correct place to change UI interactions? Like sure commands can be used to hook a button action, but what about changing the behavior of a textbox when it's clicked? Like if I want to have it select all of the text in a textbox, instead of just bringing up a standard typing cursor? Does that go in the code behind?

I guess it makes sense since the code-behind controls the code of a view (for the most part) but it doesn't take much to muddy up the code-behind with some UI interactions. Unless I'm missing something here?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

So I pretty much "get" what mvvm is supposed to do, and mostly how it should be implemented with WPF... but one thing I haven't figured out is, what is the correct place to change UI interactions? Like sure commands can be used to hook a button action, but what about changing the behavior of a textbox when it's clicked? Like if I want to have it select all of the text in a textbox, instead of just bringing up a standard typing cursor? Does that go in the code behind?

I guess it makes sense since the code-behind controls the code of a view (for the most part) but it doesn't take much to muddy up the code-behind with some UI interactions. Unless I'm missing something here?

You should probably do that via a dependency property. Instead of handling it within the view, you define a dependency property that's responsible for extending the behavior of the existing control.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ithaqua posted:

You should probably do that via a dependency property. Instead of handling it within the view, you define a dependency property that's responsible for extending the behavior of the existing control.

Ah, very cool; I wasn't aware of dependency properties. There will definitely be some time tomorrow allotted for refactoring then. Thanks for answering my poorly worded question :v:.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

I tried this, but I haven't found the proper incantation yet.

It keeps nagging about types not being right.

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

don't be afraid of writing codebehind code and custom controls, though - that is the right way to accomplish some view-specific stuff in WPF

(well, maybe stay away from the latter unless you've got a good handle on templatebindings and Generic.xaml...)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I tried this, but I haven't found the proper incantation yet.

It keeps nagging about types not being right.

Can you post a specific error message?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Can you post a specific error message?

Function: ( Really no clue what I should write so this is what I tried.)

code:
 do! Async.AwaitTask(reader.CopyToAsync(writer)) 
Error is the following:
code:
Error	1	Type constraint mismatch. The type 
    Tasks.Task    
is not compatible with type
    Tasks.Task<'a>    
The type 'Tasks.Task' is not compatible with the type 'Tasks.Task<'a>'	
Is it better to just use the function I posted earlier? Instead of trying to shoehorn these C# Async style methods in F#?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Bognar posted:

Why not make use of Ajax? The "link" is just an anchor tag that is bound to an event that fires an Ajax POST to your server. You could then register a callback on successful completion of that HTTP request to change that row, refresh the table, or do whatever you want to do.

This is what I would do. Use Ajax.ActionLink. You can set the method to POST in the Ajax options so that you can't just approve users using the URL. It would be something like this (dependant on the name of your action methods and controllers):

code:
@Ajax.ActionLink("Approve", "ApproveUser", new { userId = item.Id }, new AjaxOptions {HttpMethod = "POST", Update-Target="user-list"})
If you pass a collection of users to the view you can iterate over it and generate a bunch of links like this, one for each user. You will need to include one of the ajax javascript files like unobtrusive, although I think these are referenced by default anyway.

e: If it's not referenced by default you can install it with NuGet: http://www.nuget.org/packages/jQuery.Ajax.Unobtrusive/

e: This might be worth a look too: http://haacked.com/archive/2009/01/30/simple-jquery-delete-link-for-asp.net-mvc.aspx/
e: This is also good reading, although it deals with delete links, a lot of these concepts apply still: http://stephenwalther.com/archive/2009/01/21/asp-net-mvc-tip-46-ndash-donrsquot-use-delete-links-because

chippy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 11, 2014

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Function: ( Really no clue what I should write so this is what I tried.)

code:
 do! Async.AwaitTask(reader.CopyToAsync(writer)) 
Error is the following:
code:
Error	1	Type constraint mismatch. The type 
    Tasks.Task    
is not compatible with type
    Tasks.Task<'a>    
The type 'Tasks.Task' is not compatible with the type 'Tasks.Task<'a>'	
Is it better to just use the function I posted earlier? Instead of trying to shoehorn these C# Async style methods in F#?

You are running into this stupid problem. There are some workarounds there.

And the thing you posted earlier is also a use of a C#-style async method in F#, it's just a more convoluted one.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum
Plug:

We launched "VS2015 Preview" today: download

For .NET, it's going completely open source. The .NET team will do their development (checkins, bugs, ...) all in the open. If for whatever reason you wanted to package up your own tweaked version of System.Xml.dll with your app, say, you'll be able to do that.

For WPF, it has a solid roadmap for the future.

For VB/C#, here are complete lists of all new language features in C#6 and VB14.

Here in the VB/C#/.NET teams we're pretty excited! We'll writing more on the .NET blog, C# blog and VB blog, once we have time to write it in the coming weeks :)

EDIT: Got to mention the new VS2013 Community Edition. It's free, and a major step up from the "express" editions - kind of like the "Pro" version of VS, also allowing VS extensions. It's free for any non-enterprise application development.

ljw1004 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 12, 2014

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

ljw1004 posted:

Can I run this side-by-side with VS2013/2012 or should I stick it on a VM still?

EDIT: I didn't read the KB article

quote:

Although this release is intended to be installed side-by-side with earlier versions of Visual Studio, complete compatibility is not guaranteed.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

gariig posted:

Can I run this side-by-side with VS2013/2012 or should I stick it on a VM still?

Most of us in the VB/C# team are running it side-by-side with VS2013. It does install and uninstall cleanly.

I've heard two reports from people who said that they installed VS2015, and this prevented VS2013 from opening projects, but it was fixed when they uninstalled VS2015. Not sure what was going on.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ljw1004 posted:

That makes me happy that there is a some movement for WPF. I'm also really happy with the new features in VS2015. Lambdas in the debugger :woop:

*Plug*
Xamarin is also getting some major love today at Connect. Thanks to the community edition, you can now run our Visual Studio extension without paying for Professional. Also the starter edition is getting support in VS for the first time.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

ljw1004 posted:

Plug:

For .NET, it's going completely open source. The .NET team will do their development (checkins, bugs, ...) all in the open. If for whatever reason you wanted to package up your own tweaked version of System.Xml.dll with your app, say, you'll be able to do that.

For VB/C#, here are complete lists of all new language features in C#6 and VB14.

Here in the VB/C#/.NET teams we're pretty excited! We'll writing more on the .NET blog, C# blog and VB blog, once we have time to write it in the coming weeks :)

EDIT: Got to mention the new VS2013 Community Edition. It's free, and a major step up from the "express" editions - kind of like the "Pro" version of VS, also allowing VS extensions. It's free for any non-enterprise application development.

Wow that's nice. Thanks.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
OP updated. I'll update further as more stuff comes out -- I know there's some good stuff in the ALM space coming soon.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

ljw1004 posted:

Now that's some seriously good news.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I just wanted to drop in and mention that I just found out today that LINQPad can update the database which has inspired me to buy it because it made the most annoying part of parsing and updating a bunch of dates that SQL doesn't natively support writing C# half in VS and copying it into LINQPad. It was great to be able to slap together
code:
var re = new Regex(@"\d{1,2}\.\d{1,2}\.\d{2,4}");
string[] formats = {"M.d.yy", "MM.dd.yy", "M.dd.yy", "MM.d.yy", "M.d.yyyy", "MM.dd.yyyy", "M.dd.yyyy", "MM.d.yyyy"};

foreach(var t in Thingies.Where(t => !t.ExplosionDate.HasValue)){
	var matches = re.Matches(t.TextVomit);
	DateTime outTarget;
	if(matches.Count > 0 &&
		DateTime.TryParseExact(matches[matches.Count-1].Value, formats, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, DateTimeStyles.None, out outTarget)){
		t.ExplosionDate = outTarget;
	}
}

SubmitChanges();
to back-fill a new column rather than figure out how to mash it together in SQL's somewhat limited text and date processing functionality or clutter up my workspace with a throwaway project.

ljw1004 posted:

Is everything going to be MIT or is it going to be mix-and-match? ALl I see is him saying there's already some stuff up under MIT and they want to be license agnostic somehow.

quote:

Oh hey someone remembered that WPF exists :3:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

quote:

Could Microsoft please make a set of really good controls? And also use it themselves? It would go a long way of making applications written for Windows look better and consistent.

I also run Mac OS and it looks really consistent compared to Windows.

VS is written in WPF right? That would be nice to have as a base set of good looking controls.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 12, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

ljw1004 posted:

Interesting. Time to think about a pull request for ObservableCollection<T>, perhaps.

ljw1004 posted:

YAY! :hellyeah: And I see performance is an area of focus thank goodness. To be honest I'm much more excited about this WPF post than I am about .NET being open source.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Note that Windows Forms and WPF aren't being open-sourced, so you're still not going to be able to run any .NET application in Linux without a hassle.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

ljw1004 posted:

Are there VMs of this on Azure?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

dpbjinc posted:

Note that Windows Forms and WPF aren't being open-sourced, so you're still not going to be able to run any .NET application in Linux without a hassle.

One can hope for WPF, forget it for winforms. what's the point?
secondly, if someone provides clr bindings for their UI library, as long as the app is developed with it then sure why not.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
I wouldn't expect any .NET UI libraries from Microsoft to make their way to other platforms anytime soon.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Though looking at the roadmap / slides -- basically the theory is write a core, write platform-specific UIs -- does that just translate to a Mac Presentation Foundation and a Gnome Presentation Foundation at some point down the line? Or do they just buy Xarminian and get Xarminain.Forms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

I just wanted to drop in and mention that I just found out today that LINQPad can update the database which has inspired me to buy it because it made the most annoying part of parsing and updating a bunch of dates that SQL doesn't natively support writing C# half in VS and copying it into LINQPad. It was great to be able to slap together
code:

var re = new Regex(@"\d{1,2}\.\d{1,2}\.\d{2,4}");
string[] formats = {"M.d.yy", "MM.dd.yy", "M.dd.yy", "MM.d.yy", "M.d.yyyy", "MM.dd.yyyy", "M.dd.yyyy", "MM.d.yyyy"};

foreach(var t in Thingies.Where(t => !t.ExplosionDate.HasValue)){
	var matches = re.Matches(t.TextVomit);
	DateTime outTarget;
	if(matches.Count > 0 &&
		DateTime.TryParseExact(matches[matches.Count-1].Value, formats, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, DateTimeStyles.None, out outTarget)){
		t.ExplosionDate = outTarget;
	}
}

SubmitChanges();

to back-fill a new column rather than figure out how to mash it together in SQL's somewhat limited text and date processing functionality or clutter up my workspace with a throwaway project.

Is everything going to be MIT or is it going to be mix-and-match? ALl I see is him saying there's already some stuff up under MIT and they want to be license agnostic somehow.

Oh hey someone remembered that WPF exists :3:

I believe that's made possible by the LINQ to SQL library straight from Microsoft. Your code is being turned into a SQL script.