Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

gigawhite posted:

Yeah, along with your characters doing little fist pumps and going "yes!!" after mowing down enemy soldiers. World War 2 seems like a lot more fun than I thought it would be based on the history books.

Well, war is hell...of a good time?

And running up to enemies point blink to shoot them in the face is something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

...the additional bullshit they will have to pay on top of the overpriced videogame they already bought.
None of the microtransaction stuff I heard about sounded remotely necessary.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
GOG also has a deal right now for all the baldur's gates, all the neverwinter nights, all the icewind dales, Planescape Torment, and a few other things for $20.

Pretty sure that works out to about 1 penny per hour of gaming or something so go get it if you've somehow missed all of these.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

odiv posted:

None of the microtransaction stuff I heard about sounded remotely necessary.

It's not, it's about the same as it was in AC:Black Flag but inside of the game. There's problems with the games, but I'm enjoying it, tempered by the fact that I got the game for free. Don't buy it for 60 bucks and wait for some of the technical issues to be patched (or not) and it's a good game. Turns out buying a game on release remains a gamble.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

gigawhite posted:

Yeah, along with your characters doing little fist pumps and going "yes!!" after mowing down enemy soldiers. World War 2 seems like a lot more fun than I thought it would be based on the history books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fl1pCPb504

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Forever_Peace posted:

GOG also has a deal right now for all the baldur's gates, all the neverwinter nights, all the icewind dales, Planescape Torment, and a few other things for $20.

Pretty sure that works out to about 1 penny per hour of gaming or something so go get it if you've somehow missed all of these.

For those AD&D grognards, this pack is great. That said, AD&D doesn't really translate that well to computer games and there's a big learning curve. Plus it wasn't really intended that one player creates 6 character sheets and plays all the characters at once. Something that would be easy for one player becomes management hell.

Fallout and Arcanum are way more accessible as singleplayer RPGs since you're not expected to fully manage a party at a time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tezzeract posted:

For those AD&D grognards, this pack is great. That said, AD&D doesn't really translate that well to computer games and there's a big learning curve. Plus it wasn't really intended that one player creates 6 character sheets and plays all the characters at once. Something that would be easy for one player becomes management hell.

Fallout and Arcanum are way more accessible as singleplayer RPGs since you're not expected to fully manage a party at a time.

You wrong about everything ever, Tezz. Oh my god.

Those are all good games from the past, and you'll have to do a little learning and reading before yu start playing, but things are easy enough to follow if you read the manuals.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

That said, the Enhanced Editions are probably a far better way of going for the Baldurs and, now, Icewind Dale.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How are the Neverwinter Nights games? It's a little cheaper for me if I leave them out (and the couple I don't recognize) and I'm not sure that I'd ever play them.

Who am I kidding. I'm never playing any of this again... :(

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'd honestly recommend picking up Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate on iOS or Android (but play on a tablet, NOT your phone). I think Baldur's Gate 2 is in the works. I have been playing Icewind Dale (first time) on a tablet and it has been great. Streamlined, really accessible for touch controls, and they beefed it up with new class kits, characters, quests, etc. It's the exact same version as Icewind Dale EE on Steam but for half the price.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tippis posted:

That said, the Enhanced Editions are probably a far better way of going for the Baldurs and, now, Icewind Dale.

Meh. I know it's a small amount of extra work, but I really don't like the extra bits Beamdog put in the games, and the mods make the games more stable while fixing things.

Also, I REALLY dislike the title screens where Beamdog is selling/telling you about their dlc things. It's just an extra clickthrough to get started and exit, but gently caress it's annoying as poo poo.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Papercut posted:

:lol: The tone of the cut scene after the first tutorial battle in Valkyria Chronicles is so hilariously out of place.

For what it's worth, a good amount of that was added in the translation which changes what's being said for bizarre reasons.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Tippis posted:

As a (very) slight opposing opinion, they need to get their store messaging in order though.

Scrolling down a bit, I see a big “Preorder Witcher III” banner, offering a 10% discount with no mention of the final price. Just below it is a regular game listing box, offering the same preorder at a 17% discount (final price €50). Clicking on either leads me to a promotional page, where it is listed as a 22% discount (final price €46.79), plus a €6.30 store credit — effective final price €40.49.

One would think it wouldn't be hard to list the same price everywhere. :classiclol:

Oh, I totally agree that they have a long way to go, but I really do like that GOG is getting slightly better at this, as it should (hopefully) force Steam to stay on its toes a little more, as well as EA and Ubisoft having yet another competitor to their respectively mediocre and lovely digital distribution platforms.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There's really nothing wrong with Origin though so not sure why you call it lovely? It does some things better than steam even.

Uplay definitely is an unstable and buggy piece of crap.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

odiv posted:

How are the Neverwinter Nights games? It's a little cheaper for me if I leave them out (and the couple I don't recognize) and I'm not sure that I'd ever play them.

Who am I kidding. I'm never playing any of this again... :(

Both of them are modder's playgrounds with weak campaigns and one legitimately great expansion. For the first game it's Hordes of the Underdark, for the second it's Mask of the Betrayer. (MotB is a Chris Avellone joint and has been compared to Planescape Torment.)

If you do end up getting NWN2, remember to also install the NWN2 Client Extension, which is mostly multiplayer-focused but also fixes some bugs including the most annoying camera bug in the history of games.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I can't really recommend AD&D games, they are a grog-stained window into the past. :v: Especially when everything that is not picking a caster and putting 18 in your casting stats is a trap option.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

There's really nothing wrong with Origin though so not sure why you call it lovely? It does some things better than steam even.

Downs Duck posted:

Oh, I totally agree that they have a long way to go, but I really do like that GOG is getting slightly better at this, as it should (hopefully) force Steam to stay on its toes a little more, as well as EA and Ubisoft having yet another competitor to their respectively mediocre and lovely digital distribution platforms.

:)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Drifter posted:

You wrong about everything ever, Tezz. Oh my god.

Those are all good games from the past, and you'll have to do a little learning and reading before yu start playing, but things are easy enough to follow if you read the manuals.

Just because you're used to the system doesn't mean its accessible for people. How many hours do you have to spend reading up on the intricacies of THACO and dice rolling. When are power strikes preferable to flurries and give me edge cases where the situation flips around?

At some point, you're playing the implementation not the design. Just because dice rolling is a great system for deciding tabletop results doesn't mean you want it when you can directly simulate the action with the controller input.

The stories are great, but holy crap do you have to do the legwork to make any sense of the system.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Origin fired their customer support awhile back, so it's now impossible to get anything out of them. On top of them they introduced a new bug that affects newer revisions of Windows 7/Windows 8 that causes it to constantly eat memory while it's up, eventually crashing the program/game. Occasionally it also just crashes for the fun of it, even without the memory leak/eating issue. Constant pestering on my end to figure out what caused it finally got them to tell me they don't care enough to bother fixing it, maybe I should downgrade to Windows XP if I want to play their games.

Oh, and as someone who owns Crysis 3/Dragon Age 2/Dead Space 3/Mass Effect 3, and plays through them every few months, on top of the crashes I keep getting, I also end up having my saves eaten fairly regularly if Origin ever hiccups on the connection. This happens often enough that I had to go crack my legally owned version of Mass Effect 3 to finish it, since I kept having my saves deleted. This is a pretty common problem for people with Windows 7/8 according to their forums/twitter.

As someone who literally buys and preorders every game before it comes out to play it, I've had less problems with Uplay then I ever had with Origin. Most people just don't recognize it because they've only ever bought 1, maybe 2 games off Origin, and it gets worse over time. Meanwhile Uplay just loving sucks upfront, but if you let it patch it autoloads into games, and you can cache your saves manually.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Can't you just disable cloud storage? I've never had origin eat a save. Batman: Arkham City, now, on the other hand :argh:

Tezzeract posted:

Just because you're used to the system doesn't mean its accessible for people. How many hours do you have to spend reading up on the intricacies of THACO and dice rolling. When are power strikes preferable to flurries and give me edge cases where the situation flips around?

At some point, you're playing the implementation not the design. Just because dice rolling is a great system for deciding tabletop results doesn't mean you want it when you can directly simulate the action with the controller input.

The stories are great, but holy crap do you have to do the legwork to make any sense of the system.

None of this poo poo maaaaaaaters in the video game. You make your skills go up it doesn't matter what your other lovely things say, numerically.

FLurry vs power strike doesn't matter because either way you're just hitting a dude. Play for the story and don't stress about the other poo poo. It's fine. God you're so spergy.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 12, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

By the way, is it possible to replay every mission in VC1, or do they get permanently locked, like the main missions of VC2?
I've heard you can replay non-skirmish missions in NG+. Someone mentioned making a thread where this kind of information would appear, whatever happened to that? The beforeiplay entry has some information that's helpful.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah just to put this into perspective for DnD, the first time I played a DnD game was BG2. I made a human fighter ( because I am a human, and fighter sounded cool ), and then since I was 8-14ish I decided I wanted him to be smart and charismatic, so I gave him 16-18 Int/Wis/Charisma. My Strength/Dex/Con was all ~12.

I still beat the entire game, including Kangaxx.

You don't really need to care in any of those games sans maybe Icewind Dale 1/Baldurs Gate 1, both because they start you at level 1 and you need to play it carefully for a bit before you get some levels/skills.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Is the orgy of Insurgency keys over? Good.

Kairo is pretty cool.

If you have any kind of appreciation for grand, surrealist landscapes, Kairo will hit the right notes for you. Cubist swamps, gravity-defying mechanisms, distant stone cities, and forests of infinite pillars await. Fog and limited draw distance are used to great effect here, shrouding impossibly huge structures from you until you move close enough for them to emerge from the murk. The environments are colorful and unique and seem to tell a story by their very nature. There's no text or dialogue in Kairo, but it has hints of the Dark Souls storytelling-without-telling motif.

Gameplay is about as simple as it gets. You walk, you run, you jump. There's no key for using, holding, or interacting here. Everything you need to fiddle with is done by proximity. This often manifests as pressure plates or stones to push, but there are more creative applications like devices that only activate when you stand in a certain orientation with them. The puzzles get hard too, so be prepared for some serious experimenting and creativity to work out how some of them function. There are some secrets to find as well, which require combing every nook and cranny of the dreamlike architecture... which is something you'll want to do anyway.

The big knock I have against Kairo is that, as well-done as the atmosphere and design is, it still looks like a Half-Life 1 mod. All the shapes lack detail and there are only a few basic textures used throughout. However, the game makes the most of its minimalist presentation, and in the end it could be seen as more of an asset than a drawback if you can immerse yourself in it. Overall, this is a great game for the look and feel it conveys, and at $1.25 this week there's no reason not to pick it up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Azran posted:

Especially when everything that is not picking a caster and putting 18 in your casting stats is a trap option.

This is completely wrong.

Casters are powerful in late-game BG2 for sure, but you still want 3 non-casters. Having more than two casters in your party in BG1 is the best possible way to never be able to progress past chapter 3, as a complete newbie. Putting an 18 in your casting stat does basically nothing for the majority of caster classes because this is AD&D2 and AD&D made no sense; you're thinking of 3.x, and even then, NWN/NWN2/IWD2/ToEE mostly don't have the feats and spells that break the lovely game system in half and have encounters designed to make non-casters useful.

Don't get me wrong, AD&D and 3.x are still terrible shitpile systems, but the D&D video games mostly minimise this and are still playable despite the idiosyncrasies of their respective systems (the AD&D2 ones more so than the 3.x ones since you don't need to faff around with stuff like prestige classes, skill points and feats).

e; vv there's already a difficulty slider option in the non-EE games, FYI.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 12, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

Yeah just to put this into perspective for DnD, the first time I played a DnD game was BG2. I made a human fighter ( because I am a human, and fighter sounded cool ), and then since I was 8-14ish I decided I wanted him to be smart and charismatic, so I gave him 16-18 Int/Wis/Charisma. My Strength/Dex/Con was all ~12.

I still beat the entire game, including Kangaxx.

You don't really need to care in any of those games sans maybe Icewind Dale 1/Baldurs Gate 1, both because they start you at level 1 and you need to play it carefully for a bit before you get some levels/skills.

Although if you play the EE versions (Android, iOS, or PC) you can change the difficulty. Easy makes enemies hit for 25% less damage and you get a 50% EXP boost, and Story mode makes you indestructible with a 100% EXP boost. You can change between modes at any time, so the earlier levels don't have to suck as much.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is completely wrong.

Casters are powerful in late-game BG2 for sure, but you still want 3 non-casters. Having more than two casters in your party in BG1 is the best possible way to never be able to progress past chapter 3, as a complete newbie. Putting an 18 in your casting stat does basically nothing for the majority of caster classes because this is AD&D2 and AD&D made no sense; you're thinking of 3.x, and even then, NWN/NWN2/IWD2/ToEE mostly don't have the feats and spells that break the lovely game system in half and have encounters designed to make non-casters useful.

Don't get me wrong, AD&D and 3.x are still terrible shitpile systems, but the D&D video games mostly minimise this and are still playable despite the idiosyncrasies of their respective systems (the AD&D2 ones more so than the 3.x ones since you don't need to faff around with stuff like prestige classes, skill points and feats).

e; vv there's already a difficulty slider option in the non-EE games, FYI.

Yeah, for some reason I got my systems mixed up there. Nevermind me. :v:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of old school isometric games, Pillars of Eternity is up for pre-order now!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Good news everyone!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/six-year-old-rpg-valkyria-chronicles-tops-steam-sellers-list/0141295

quote:

Sega’s PC version of PS3 RPG Valkyria Chronicles has ‘blown all predictions out of the water’, the publisher has claimed.

The game release on Steam yesterday and was at one stage apparently the most downloaded game on the platform. Currently it sits in third place behind fellow Sega title Football Manager 2015 and Activision’s Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

“During its first 24 hours on sale, blew all forecasts and predictions out of the water. The award-winning Strategy RPG, originally released in 2008 for PlayStation 3, forced its way to the top of the Steam download charts, beating a host of brand new games to reach number one,” Sega said.

Sega Europe’s senior VP of commercial publishing John Clark added: “We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the fans for their support in the phenomenal success of this launch. We’re also delighted at the response from the Steam community which indicates that newcomers to the series are finding it as enchanting and engaging as those who have played it before.”

Valkyria Chronicles was first released on PS3 in 2008. Two sequels were released on PSP in 2010 and 2011 respectively.

:toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

Platinum PC ports here we go!

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
^^^^^^Sweet!

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of old school isometric games, Pillars of Eternity is up for pre-order now!

Just noticed, feels really good atm to have Kickstarted that one. Hoping it won't disappoint.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

C'mon sequel ports/HD upgrades. C'mooooon.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Money where your mouth is Sega :colbert:
Yakuza port, now.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gimme HD versions of 2 and 3. It's all I want Sega.

Well, that and Vanquish. And Bayo. And Skies of Arcadia. Those would all be nice to. Oh and some people want Yakuza I guess.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Downs Duck posted:

Just noticed, feels really good atm to have Kickstarted that one. Hoping it won't disappoint.

It's the only game I have ever kickstarted. I have been trying to stay in the dark but the screenshots and video look great. I hope the stronghold upgrading is robust.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

You can replay every mission in vc after beating the game

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ragequit posted:

$40?!?

Hell yeah, it seems like the Steam market is finally getting through to the Japanese publishers. There are so many games I want ported.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maybe Sega can convince Capcom into bringing Power Stone 2 to the PC, c'mon

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Papercut posted:

$40?!?

Hell yeah, it seems like the Steam market is finally getting through to the Japanese publishers. There are so many games I want ported.

The kickstarter price was $25 to get a copy. This is certainly going to cause some fun in the forums though:

"Yeah, I think I can safely say on this forum is not happy with the price. I think $19.99 is just about right, maybe even a bit too much. For example Icewind Dale got a remake and was put on Steam and that costs $19.99 and it is, in my eyes, no different to this."

Yes, $19.99 for a 14 year old video game with some updates is totally the same as making a new game with its own lore, rules (this is not D&D), assets, etc. from scratch.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I never played Vanquish (shameful, I know) and I would definitely buy it on Steam.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Ragequit posted:

It's the only game I have ever kickstarted. I have been trying to stay in the dark but the screenshots and video look great. I hope the stronghold upgrading is robust.

I believe they're mostly spoiler free, but I guess you've already taken a look at them, then? Granted, it has been a while since I've played a recent ARPG and I haven't played that Divinity: Sin game, but I'm very pleased with how the animations look here; I feared it would be more like the old, mechanical feel of the old BG games and it looks much better than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Mutation posted:

Platinum Atlus PC ports here we go!

:getin:

• Locked thread