Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

At least if they feature the Shamblo it'd be closer to the novel portrayal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Srice posted:

Even Ral's compliment in the beginning of this ep was backhanded. He praises Sekai for being able to move in space, Yuu for having a transformation that makes him more than just a sniper, and he praised Hoshino for literally "being able to surprise them by transforming". I was just thinking "haha even Ral can't see how that was an upgrade either" (which if not for the OP showing the add-ons, I'd have the same question).

I mean, he knew there was something with the winning but Fumina wouldn't say it. What I dont get is how everyone seems to have a hardon for Ral when he barely does anything. But I guess thats the joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats what I was guessing. You want her to be Chihaya and that wouldn't work in this series. Chihaya is literally over powered, the only reason why it sort of works in S2 is because the format of the matches mean that each individual is having its own individual fight and she cant win all of them for her team (even though she could easily). Reminder, the only reason her team lost was because she had a stroke.

I don't want her to be exactly Chihaya but it would be better than being Powerup Distribution Device.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I love Chihaya, she's a fun character but she's threading the line of Mary Sueness and the only reason this hasn't been the case has been because of madhouses excellent presentation and because there are a few more broken players than her.

Saying this in a series which has Sekai is pretty silly.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Regarding your other points. Why is it that a woman that, as the groups leader, decides that it would be best to have a suit that enhances her team mates while still allowing her to contribute to the fight a sign of weakness on her? Why cant it be interpreted as a weakness on her team mates instead? The show literally tells you that it wasn't the case of actual team work (Thank you WoG Sakai), this was a case of Fumina being the backbone of her team.

Because "women exist to power up men" is a creepy trope that anime clings to desperately and no amount of "but she helped them" changes the fact they were the ones getting the power up. It plays into the hyper-sexist "women exist to be nurturing creatures" biotruths stuff. Gundam has a lot of problems with this in general (sometimes literally, looking at you Zeta Gundam) but it can also be better than that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't want her to be exactly Chihaya but it would be better than being Powerup Distribution Device.
But she hasnt? I mean is that the way you are interpreting it when literally no one else is making this claim either in other forums or in the show. Everyone seems to agree that she was key in winning the fights.

quote:

Sekai has proven that he can punch things good. But its been twice now that he's fallen into traps his team has to bail him out of. You know that eventually its going to get him wrecked. Chihaya's only weakness when playing against other players is that she's less broken than them.

quote:

Because "women exist to power up men" is a creepy trope that anime clings to desperately and no amount of "but she helped them" changes the fact they were the ones getting the power up. It plays into the hyper-sexist "women exist to be nurturing creatures" biotruths stuff. Gundam has a lot of problems with this in general (sometimes literally, looking at you Zeta Gundam) but it can also be better than that.
I mean sure you can claim the author is dead and take this one instance as the entire truth when the show has been telling you otherwise but ok. The show put Fumina in a pedestal this episode, had shown a woman champion in the previous being the role model for her, and told us that you shouldn't look down on women a few before that but a woman choosing to enhance her team mates while still being relevant in combat is too much.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

quote:

We had an entire episode dedicated to showing Sekai wasn't up to snuff and would have gotten trounced if he entered the tournament in the state he was at that time.

And in this very episode he also ended up completely blindsided and the target of a full-on artillery strike and the only reason he was still able to fight is because Sei apparently reinforced the BB with actual Gundarium.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Sekai has proven that he can punch things good. But its been twice now that he's fallen into traps his team has to bail him out of. You know that eventually its going to get him wrecked. Chihaya's only weakness when playing against other players is that she's less broken than them.

I'd be happier if those times that he fell into traps actually showed lasting damage. Sekai and the Build Burning both got pretty boring pretty quickly. Sekai's enthusiasm is nice, but that seems to be about all there is to him. I'm guessing he'll probably connect with Simon, so that might help him out, but right now he's just too generically shounen protagonist. The Build Burning had potential to be interesting due to having its restricted capabilities, and overcoming things like that tends to make for better fights (for example Rock Lee). However like Nils' fights the answer to those restrictions is inevitably "Bullshit" rather than clever usage. Gyanko has had way less screen time and already showed more ingenuity and variety in fighting in 15 seconds this episode than Sekai's entire screen time. She is clearly too good for him.

On a side note, I liked the music this episode, so the soundtrack is thus far living up to the previous series. Lady had goddamn better have flamenco with 9 times the passion, though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I, too, would enjoy seeing Hoshino be something other than someone who gives the rest of the team powerups and then shoots down the weakest mook on the enemy team.

Science team could have been cool if they had any sort of characterization at all. I think one of the two big flaws of this season is that they're rushing through rival battlers like they're going out of style, and only occasionally giving even a little characterization to them. One reason why everyone likes Gyanko is because she's one of the few who has been given a personality, and that it's one that's not incredibly serious also goes a long way!

(The other flaw being that the team fight theme hasn't been used well at all)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

But she hasnt? I mean is that the way you are interpreting it when literally no one else is making this claim either in other forums or in the show. Everyone seems to agree that she was key in winning the fights.

Man, I'm on other forums where people are making the exact same complaint, so I know this isn't true. I also literally can't watch the show with the group of people who I watched BF with because they're so annoyed by it. This is also why I'm not very forgiving of it, because the people I'd most like to watch the show with are turned off by it.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Chihaya has failed repeatedly and going "oh, it was because she was less broken" when Sekai basically nosold missiles this episode is a bit silly.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean sure you can claim the author is dead and take this one instance as the entire truth when the show has been telling you otherwise but ok. The show put Fumina in a pedestal this episode, had shown a woman champion in the previous being the role model for her, and told us that you shouldn't look down on women a few before that but a woman choosing to enhance her team mates while still being relevant in combat is too much.

This is the thing you don't seem to get. A show saying something and a show showing something are different things. BF in general has a problem with doing this, and not just with female characters.

I think the show is trying to do that, but due to poor fight choreography it isn't pulling it off. That is part of why I hold Fumina to a high standard because her core concept is strong but I don't feel they're living up to it. In comparison I expect roughly jack and poo poo from Raraiya Monday and so I'm not surprised when she's terrible.

chumbler posted:

On a side note, I liked the music this episode, so the soundtrack is thus far living up to the previous series. Lady had goddamn better have flamenco with 9 times the passion, though.

Yeah, the soundtrack is excellent.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I'm on other forums where people are making the exact same complaint, so I know this isn't true. I also literally can't watch the show with the group of people who I watched BF with because they're so annoyed by it. This is also why I'm not very forgiving of it, because the people I'd most like to watch the show with are turned off by it.

The people you would watch it with sound even more insufferable than you.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Pureauthor posted:

The only reason he was still able to fight is because Sei apparently reinforced the BB with actual Gundarium.

Pfft, Gundarium nothing. He probably melted down one of these bad boys for it:

It's made of pure Zeus.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think the show is trying to do that, but due to poor fight choreography it isn't pulling it off. That is part of why I hold Fumina to a high standard because her core concept is strong but I don't feel they're living up to it. In comparison I expect roughly jack and poo poo from Raraiya Monday and so I'm not surprised when she's terrible.

Heck, this brings me to another thing I've been thinking about; the choreography and animation quality in general look like a step down from the first season.

I even looked at some of the fights from the early episodes to refresh my memory and it seemed like season 1 was definitely consistently better in that regard. 6 episodes in to the first season, we had the Yuuki rematch which everyone loved because it was like the sort of battle you'd normally see at the end of a show.

Even the other fights were all pretty distinct, but here it feels rather same-y; the first part of the science team fight was unique but then they resolve it by doing the same thing they've been doing every week, except with a different powerup this time.

Heck, I remembered the character animation being better in the first season but it was much better than what I thought it was like.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Heck, this brings me to another thing I've been thinking about; the choreography and animation quality in general look like a step down from the first season.

I'm not sure if they have less budget or the budget is just stretched a lot further due to 6 units being on the field at once in every fight. The SD Gundam fight was a lot stronger and I think it was because they only had two guys to work with.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I think they're simply just not used to trying to give attention to multiple units at the same time in a fight. It's a lot easier to do blocking for 1 unit fighting another as opposed to 3 units moving around vs 3.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure if they have less budget or the budget is just stretched a lot further due to 6 units being on the field at once in every fight. The SD Gundam fight was a lot stronger and I think it was because they only had two guys to work with.

Yeah that's probably it. Which is a shame because it winds up being three 1 on 1 fights that look merely okay.

Though the choreography is something that should get by even with those problems, but alas.

I know that that it's practically a meme to talk about the second season of a Sunrise thing being worse, but dang I am just really feeling let down by this season so far.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Please name the forums it would tell me a great deal.

quote:

Chihaya has failed repeatedly and going "oh, it was because she was less broken" when Sekai basically nosold missiles this episode is a bit silly.
She's failed repeatedly against the worlds best female player and to a heat stroke. I think I remember seeing her lose once before that but it was like in passing. Also she's a loving newtype, she can hear things before anyone else can. If I was empathetic vampire I can spin that around and say "This show is horrible because its telling us that for women to be as good as men in this sport they have to be born with magic ears or be autistic" I'd have to disregard everything else in the show to actually have a point.

quote:

This is the thing you don't seem to get. A show saying something and a show showing something are different things. BF in general has a problem with doing this, and not just with female characters.
I agree which is why the gunpla building prodigy (Yuuma not Sakai) is categorically worse than any of the protagonist so far. They keep saying that he can make good gunplay but the Lightning hasn't really shown it so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Please name the forums it would tell me a great deal.

I doubt they are anywhere you'd know. I don't post on 4chan or whatever. SA is the biggest forum I post on because I generally am not big on large forums. v:shobon:v

Cao Ni Ma posted:

She's failed repeatedly against the worlds best female player and to a heat stroke. I think I remember seeing her lose once before that but it was like in passing. Also she's a loving newtype, she can hear things before anyone else can. If I was empathetic vampire I can spin that around and say "This show is horrible because its telling us that for women to be as good as men in this sport they have to be born with magic ears or be autistic" I'd have to disregard everything else in the show to actually have a point.

She had multiple losses. You should rewatch it, it's actually really good about making most matches extremely tense. (Also it's a good show!) Your reading of it would be a little weak though for a variety of reasons.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I agree which is why the gunpla building prodigy (Yuuma not Sakai) is categorically worse than any of the protagonist so far. They keep saying that he can make good gunplay but the Lightning hasn't really shown it so far.

Yes, Yuuma is also severely underutilized. He at least is the only character with an actual defined rival but otherwise he has done roughly jack and poo poo to live up to his Amazing Builder rep. For pretty much exactly the same reasons too. They keep telling us he's a ~great builder~ but so far he's basically just been Snipelord and his transformation gimmick is honestly less impressive from a building perspective than Fumina's Winning thing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

She had multiple losses. You should rewatch it, it's actually really good about making most matches extremely tense. (Also it's a good show!) Your reading of it would be a little weak though for a variety of reasons.
Actually yeah, I forgot she lost against the woman that was losing till she started to contest every single card and everyone was complaining that she was cheating. Also when she magically came down with a deficiency that she hadn't had before for no good reason other than creating a weakness in her. I too can be incredibly judgmental in anime :v:

e-Chihaya was great, trying to purposely be nitpicky will just make you bitter. BFT has problems, pretty big ones like the lack of characterization on the rivals and the fights still following the basic recipe but trying to mire yourself in perceived gender slights is not going to get you anywhere.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 12, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Actually yeah, I forgot she lost against the woman that was losing till she started to contest every single card and everyone was complaining that she was cheating. Also when she magically came down with a deficiency that she hadn't had before for no good reason other than creating a weakness in her. I too can be incredibly judgmental in anime :v:

You honestly seem more angry that I'm criticizing the show than that about my actual criticisms. I'm not coming into BFT going "I'm going to hate this, grr," but I do think it's legitimately a weaker product than it's predecessor and a weaker product then its concept should be and I find that disappointing. I'm not even the only one criticizing most of these parts, nor was the writing of Fumina the only part of the episode I criticized, so I'm not sure why you're so fixated on that.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I don't get how winning gundam forces the other two to fight as a team?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm now hoping we get to see Team Original with a Gundam, Guntank and Guncannon in the tournament.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lessail posted:

I don't get how winning gundam forces the other two to fight as a team?

Yeah me neither, it makes Sekai and Yuu stronger individually.

Which is really weird because this episode has a scene where Sakai straight up says that their problem is that they're individually skilled but don't have good teamwork. Strange to bring attention to that and not do anything.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Srice posted:

Which is really weird because this episode has a scene where Sakai straight up says that their problem is that they're individually skilled but don't have good teamwork. Strange to bring attention to that and not do anything.

I think they're using a super loose definition of teamwork, she works with both of them, and by extension they work together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

I think this episode was supposed to emphasize that Fumina holds the team together in bad situations, rather than that all three are working together individually and covering each other's weaknesses. It just is that in this particular episode she did this by shooting out powerups that emphasized their individual strengths.

I have a hard time telling if they're doing this intentionally or not. They keep emphasizing "they don't work together as a team" but then it keeps working out for them and it comes across like they learned something but they really didn't. Someone mentioned earlier also that the fights are always over in a flash. There's no "one guy goes down, the others recover." It might be better if Sekai could get wrecked (since he's the guy always rushing in) without it taking BBG out of action.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 12, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

She gives them shiny new toys to distract them from constantly bitching at each other.

Team Mom roles are tough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone obviously seems to think that literally bolting bits of each other onto their suits = teamwork.

I want to like Try but it's just so bland compared to the first series, like it's not bad, just eh.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If you think of it in MOBA terms it makes more sense.

Like, she's the position 5 support who sacrifices her farm and babysits the stupid rear end Carries until they've vacuumed up enough gold to waddle into a team fight and right-click things to death.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Winning gundam turning into a super gun that burning and lightning gundam have to hold sentai style would result in more teamwork

And I want that to happen

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who thinks in MOBA terms or plays MOBA's should be shot into the sun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

If you think of it in MOBA terms it makes more sense.

Like, she's the position 5 support who sacrifices her farm and babysits the stupid rear end Carries until they've vacuumed up enough gold to waddle into a team fight and right-click things to death.

Please never make analogies between anything good and mobas ever again.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone who thinks in MOBA terms or plays MOBA's should be shot into the sun.

quote:

Please never make analogies between anything good and mobas ever again.

Oh look it's more dudes who can't handle teamwork.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think this episode was supposed to emphasize that Fumina holds the team together in bad situations, rather than that all three are working together individually and covering each other's weaknesses. It just is that in this particular episode she did this by shooting out powerups that emphasized their individual strengths.

I have a hard time telling if they're doing this intentionally or not. They keep emphasizing "they don't work together as a team" but then it keeps working out for them and it comes across like they learned something but they really didn't. Someone mentioned earlier also that the fights are always over in a flash. There's no "one guy goes down, the others recover." It might be better if Sekai could get wrecked (since he's the guy always rushing in) without it taking BBG out of action.

Yeah I can't tell either. It definitely would be good to have a fight that's not a clean sweep for once. Their MO of having three different 1 on 1 battles could go horribly wrong if one of Team Try loses their fight!

Plus it would actually give the team fights some tension, something that the team fights have definitely been lacking.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Srice posted:

I know that that it's practically a meme to talk about the second season of a Sunrise thing being worse, but dang I am just really feeling let down by this season so far.

Part of the problem is that the show still hasn't really hit its stride yet, or at least it feels that way to me. It's trying to rush through this opening preliminary stuff, and the characterization is suffering for it.

The other part of the problem is that Build Fighters S1 was a tough act to follow. Nobody really expected it to actually be good, so when it was good, people were blown away by it and loved the poo poo out of it. So now all the people who loved Season 1 are going to be even more critical of Try, because they expect it to be equal to, if not surpass, how good Season 1 was. So whenever it falls short of that standard, no matter how much or how little, they come down on hard on it.

Personally, I enjoyed the episode. It didn't wow me, but it was still fun to watch. I think I would have enjoyed it more if Team SRSC had been established as an actual credible threat. Like, show their match from the previous round. You don't even have to show off their machines yet, since the episode pointed out that they switch between each match. Just show the opposing team moving through the battlefield, talking strategy, only for them to get caught in an ambush and utterly destroyed no matter how they try and adapt and regroup. Instead we just got the three guys in a dark room severely underestimating their opponents and their coach stroking their egos. :effort:

I hope we actually get to see G-Master in action. They're still kind of boring at the moment, but at least the series is actually taking time to point out that they're paying attention to our protagonists' wins, so maybe they'll get some actual characterization here soon. It's also kind of odd that they've got a fourth member now when it's explicitly supposed to be 3-on-3 fights.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I enjoyed the episode, it wasn't as good as GBF was but I still enjoyed it.

I'll go stand in the corner for being wrong and uncritical and a misogynist or whatever. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'll go stand in the corner for being wrong and uncritical and a misogynist or whatever. :smith:

Don't worry, we here in the corner don't care and are just having fun.

Fumina is awesome, gently caress the haters.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Plenty of people enjoy a show and only post about the stuff they actually want to discuss about, you know?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It might not have hit its stride yet but how long does a show need to hit its stride? I mean heck, I was sold on the Zaku fight in the second episode of season 1. We're now three times as far and they haven't had anything that has really sold me on the show.

It's a decent enough watch yeah but unlike the first season (and I'm comparing it up to episode 6 at this point to make the comparison fair) I haven't been blown away by anything yet, whereas the first season had multiple amazing fights at this point in time, and it was able to introduce more characters. I just haven't felt the fights so far to be particularly memorable.

It's definitely true that the first season is a tough act to follow but I'm finding a fair amount of aspects to be significantly worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I hope we actually get to see G-Master in action. They're still kind of boring at the moment, but at least the series is actually taking time to point out that they're paying attention to our protagonists' wins, so maybe they'll get some actual characterization here soon. It's also kind of odd that they've got a fourth member now when it's explicitly supposed to be 3-on-3 fights.

G-Master seems like the most interesting of the lot. I'd love it if we get an episode from them at least, or have them show up to interact with the protagonists beforehand.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I said I liked the episode too. v:shobon:V

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I find it amusing that other places like /m/ are complaining about Fumina having to go out of her way to build poo poo to help her other useless-rear end members of the team who wouldn't have gotten anything done without her.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

My only complaint is plot arcs where you know the protagonists are going to win because the plot demands it. In Build s1 every loss I rememeber was a side battle, not the main event. I mean, maybe it's possible that they lose midway in the main tournament and join a back alley gunpla betting ring and the poo poo gets dark as gently caress and Yuuma winds up bleeding out in a gutter somewhere with Fumina weeping over his corpse while Sekai vows revenge. But, probably not.

I guess I'm also a little sad the female lead decided to switch to a cutesy Gunpla rather than fighting the system. Alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

My only complaint is plot arcs where you know the protagonists are going to win because the plot demands it. In Build s1 every loss I rememeber was a side battle, not the main event. I mean, maybe it's possible that they lose midway in the main tournament and join a back alley gunpla betting ring and the poo poo gets dark as gently caress and Yuuma winds up bleeding out in a gutter somewhere with Fumina weeping over his corpse while Sekai vows revenge. But, probably not.

That was actually one of the things BFS1 did right is that the early part of the Big Tournament was point-based rather than elimination so losses (or ties) could happen without being an instant disqualification. It also hurt the second half though where we knew Sei and Reiji were going to win every single fight up until the finals, and the lineup of the matches made it super-obvious who was going to win every one.

• Locked thread