Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'll just throw out again that here we have currently 23 (soon to be 31 when we add in server tests vs every client content change) nodes running tests on each commit. Unit, integration, and functional. And I wouldn't have it any other way. That and auto generated project files are the key to refactor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Hughlander posted:

I'll just throw out again that here we have currently 23 (soon to be 31 when we add in server tests vs every client content change) nodes running tests on each commit. Unit, integration, and functional. And I wouldn't have it any other way. That and auto generated project files are the key to refactor.

:henget:

Marvelous.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
There are forms of testing other than unit tests and many of them are more appropriate for large parts of a game's codebase. Unit tests are good for making sure that a single component works in isolation, but a huge class of bugs involves issues like networking race conditions that don't arise in that context. Having worked at a non-games company that was dogmatic about unit test coverage in the past my experience is that game developers aren't anachronists when it comes to test, they're just necessarily more pragmatic (due to the extreme complexity of a video game relative to most other software.)

We rely heavily on bots and other automated functional testing, for example. Though of course we use unit tests for large parts of the code base for which they're well suited.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I have no idea what's going on since I just do this everyday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJXr2CUTmY&t=9s

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I have no idea what's going on since I just do this everyday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJXr2CUTmY&t=9s

I'm always confused as to how pretty rough rated R movies end up with children's toys.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I've never seen unit tests add value on any software project, enterprise or entertainment, except for web services development. I imagine there may be a few cases where it makes sense in really super isolated modular components that are going to be used for decades across dozens of products. But I haven't actually run into one myself. Full application test automation is another matter; it definitely has value on almost anything of substantial complexity.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

DancingMachine posted:

I've never seen unit tests add value on any software project, enterprise or entertainment, except for web services development.

Unit tests don't add value, they prevent value from being taken away. There are a handful of times where I've had either lack of unit tests on math librairies costing debugging time, or worse, existing but outdated unit tests assuring me a math library is working correctly when it really isn't. (Setting a homogeneous component on a projection matrix doesn't make it invertible, people!)

But for the most part, unit tests on math libraries did very much help validate correctness when the engine team decided to port the core math libraries to SIMD instructions. Except for that one inverted projection matrix that went through, since rendering code was pretty much the only code to care about the 4,4 component of a matrix.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Jan posted:

Unit tests don't add value, they prevent value from being taken away. There are a handful of times where I've had either lack of unit tests on math librairies costing debugging time, or worse, existing but outdated unit tests assuring me a math library is working correctly when it really isn't. (Setting a homogeneous component on a projection matrix doesn't make it invertible, people!)

But for the most part, unit tests on math libraries did very much help validate correctness when the engine team decided to port the core math libraries to SIMD instructions. Except for that one inverted projection matrix that went through, since rendering code was pretty much the only code to care about the 4,4 component of a matrix.

Yeah, I get what they're for. I just find that normally they cost more to write and maintain than they save in bugs. Math libraries would definitely be one of the unique things where they might be valuable if there is such a thing, though. :)

Chosen
Jul 11, 2002
Vibrates when provoked.
Unit tests are the safety net that make big, sweeping, architectural changes/refactoring manageable. Whenever you see a guy balk at doing an organizational change for no good reason, it's probably because he doesn't have unit tests to help him. They are there to serve you, if you let them.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Right.. My tests give me confidence to gently caress with things.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

They're also great for shared code bases. Sure you teste your game with this change, but look what it does with this other games content. And by that I mean automated tests in general.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Hey guys,
I am looking for a programmer to make a game for Android and iOS (contract, long distance):

-It will be a free educational game against tobacco use for the National Cancer Institute in Mexico (INCAN)
-It will play similar to Clash of the Olympians
-There won't be any micro-transactions or dlc.
-It will have minimal Facebook and Twitter integration (sharing the game to wall or tweets).
-I will provide all the art, game design and texts. The texts will be in Spanish but I will translate the GDD and anything else that is relevant to create the game.
-The game needs to be finished within 4 months, including testing, polishing and additional changes.
-Some additional work may be required afterwards for updates.
-Game engine choice is still open to suggestions.
-The fee and payment details are to be discussed.

The candidate should have experience making mobile games and be able to complete the programming on his/her own, all the way from the beginning to shipping (uploading it to the app stores).

For more details send me a PM or a mail to arianimation at gmail.

Cheers!

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 10, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chernabog posted:

For more details send me a PM or a mail to arianimation at gmail.
I admit the reading error was mine, but you should find a name that looks less like "Aryan Nation" on a quick glance. :)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Haha. It's eye catching on purpose!

Okay, not really, it's just my name plus animation :negative:... and that's on all of my marketing materials too :emo:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Gmail ignores dots in addresses, right? ari.animation@ should look a bit less... unfortunate.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Chernabog posted:

Okay, not really, it's just my name plus animation :negative:... and that's on all of my marketing materials too :emo:

Arianimation sounds like an animation studio from alternate earth where the Nazis won. Seconding the add a dot bit.

Edit: VVV From my experience so far the average person is not in this industry. :woop:

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 11, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Chernabog posted:

I'm overstating because I thought it was funny. The average person probably isn't going to read it like that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Most might not read it like that but it is a bit hard to tell what it's supposed to say at first glance. v:shobon:v

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I think it would be more legible with a dot but I think the notion that it sounds like he's some sort of Jewish 4th Reicher is totally absurd and he really shouldn't be panicking about it at all.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Game Jobs Megathread: Your e-mail is literally Hitler.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
Didn't really make the connection on my own; still don't.
But the email address is somehow burned into my memory and I can't get it out. Thanks. :(

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Had a big deal interview yesterday, got almost all of the questions right, but flubbed 2 easy ones and who knows how well they thought my past work experience was.

Phone interviews where they "take a lot of notes" are really stressful, because there's a lot of dead air as you wait for responses.

Oh well, now comes the waiting part, I'm sure I'll enjoy spending the next couple days analyzing every word I said for clues as to my success/lack of success.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

theflyingorc posted:

Had a big deal interview yesterday, got almost all of the questions right, but flubbed 2 easy ones and who knows how well they thought my past work experience was.

Phone interviews where they "take a lot of notes" are really stressful, because there's a lot of dead air as you wait for responses.

That bit is terrible. You feel the need to say something to try and fill in the gap which means that they just end out taking more notes.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sion posted:

That bit is terrible. You feel the need to say something to try and fill in the gap which means that they just end out taking more notes.

It really killed my flow and my ability to have a conversation, making the whole thing feel cold and clinical. Which might be why I got back a NO today!

However, I also had an interview today that went very well and was fun, so I guess it balances out!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

theflyingorc posted:

Oh well, now comes the waiting part, I'm sure I'll enjoy spending the next couple days analyzing every word I said for clues as to my success/lack of success.

I'm going through that right now too. I spent the weekend stressing waiting to hear back from a few places (including Harmonix, who I'm still jazzed about even getting to talk to).

Doesn't somebody here work at Amazon Game Studios? I got contacted by Amazon about taking a phone interview and I'm wondering if there's any way to swing a co-op/internship at Amazon into working at AGS.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kabanaw posted:

I'm going through that right now too. I spent the weekend stressing waiting to hear back from a few places (including Harmonix, who I'm still jazzed about even getting to talk to).
(Mine was Blizzard, so I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am).

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Riot finally got back to me! :woop: I had my phone screen yesterday and I felt like it went fairly well. Hopefully this goes somewhere!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

(Mine was Blizzard, so I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am).

Dang, that really sucks. :(

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Riot finally got back to me! :woop: I had my phone screen yesterday and I felt like it went fairly well. Hopefully this goes somewhere!

Did you apply for an internship or a full-time position?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Kabanaw posted:

Dang, that really sucks. :(

Did you apply for an internship or a full-time position?

Engineering internship. I'll hear if I got the 2nd round interview in a couple of days. Kinda anxious about that.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Kabanaw posted:

Doesn't somebody here work at Amazon Game Studios? I got contacted by Amazon about taking a phone interview and I'm wondering if there's any way to swing a co-op/internship at Amazon into working at AGS.

It's definitely possible, but not necessarily easy. Keep in mind a LOT of interns get a job offer and want to come to the games group. It's easier if you actually intern in AGS itself, but that is usually people with a games focus in their curriculum.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

DancingMachine posted:

It's definitely possible, but not necessarily easy. Keep in mind a LOT of interns get a job offer and want to come to the games group. It's easier if you actually intern in AGS itself, but that is usually people with a games focus in their curriculum.

I should say I'm hoping I can get an internship within AGS, not a full-time job, and I do have a games focus. Is there some other avenue to apply for that?

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Kabanaw posted:

I should say I'm hoping I can get an internship within AGS, not a full-time job, and I do have a games focus. Is there some other avenue to apply for that?

Go ahead and apply the normal Amazon intern route, and also PM me your info and I will check if there is a separate channel for games folks.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
What's AGS working on these days? Still Fire TV games? Is there anything announced you can talk about yet?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I have an interview for an internship. Even if I don't get it I'm excited to have a chance to strut my stuff :feelsgood:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Studio posted:

I have an interview for an internship. Even if I don't get it I'm excited to have a chance to strut my stuff :feelsgood:

Best of luck dude! You're someone that I want to get a foot in the door in this industry. :)

Otcho
May 4, 2012

Hey guys - I'm currently applying as a writer/narrative designer at a small local studio that makes awesome small-scale roleplaying games, and because I'm actually a screenwriter and only have screenplays and movies to show them, they want me to design an in-game scenario with dialogue, some items and, well, a broad description of gameplay (which is basically the same as their current games). It's all stuff I think I can handle content-wise, but I still want it to be as professional as possible in form, and this is where I'm currently lost. I'm wondering - are there any people in this thread that know this work through and through and who could give me some pointers?

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Goons, I'm in need of some Internship advice. I'm hoping I can get myself sorted out and pointed in the right direction by asking all of you who are currently in the industry. I'm going to do my best to describe my current situation without turning this into an E/N post, so here goes. I'm a computer science major at a Texas university, and if everything goes according to plan I’ll be graduating spring of 2016, meaning that summer 2015 will be my last chance to grab an internship at a studio before I graduate. My goal when I graduate is to get a job working for Blizzard on games, working for Blizzard has been a dream of mine since I first played WC II Tides of Darkness, so I’m pretty dead set on that one. Now, I’ve read the OP and my main problem is literally at the top of the thread.

quote:

How Do I Get a Job Making Games?

Make Cool poo poo. If you can't do this you're not getting in. There is no way to bullshit or cheat your way in. Unless you're making games, the only ways in suck.

I very rarely ever program outside of my school assignments, they don't count for dick towards a portfolio, and those assignments are anything but cool. Beyond that, I personally believe I'm currently a lovely programmer, I can talk to you all day about theory, and I understand the concepts I've been taught. However, if you ask me to put any of that knowledge to work and my shortcomings become evident very quickly. It's a problem I'm working to fix, I'm well aware though that I'm not going to become this amazing programmer that'll have any sort of respectable portfolio that will hold a candle to 99.9% of the applicants for the programming positions by the time applications are due in January.

I've completed two internships previously though; My first one was for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems working in their NOC doing basic computer forensics, malware analysis / reverse engineering, and learning not to fall asleep while staring at a SIEM for ~15 hours a day. My second internship was a basic help-desk IT position for my local school district last summer where I helped deploy ~2,400 new systems throughout the district, a few servers, and resolve help-desk tickets. I'd like to think I'm fairly good a troubleshooting systems and I enjoy computer security as well but it's not something I see myself having a career in.

This is really where my question comes in; Blizzard currently has openings listed for a Systems Admin, Network Operations Intern, and Systems Admin, IT Intern. I feel like with my previous experience I may have a chance at one of these positions? Should I bother applying? My thought process is that taking an internship would at the very least get my foot in the door in some capacity. I would become familiar with what it's like to work for Blizzard at the very least, shake a few hands, meet some people, and maybe even impress someone while I'm there. The hope that is that having an internship in the industry even if it's not in the field I'm ultimately interested in would make landing a job programming a little easier once I finally graduate.

Is this all a pipe-dream? Am I another idiot that thinks he can side step the hiring process by getting a job in either of these fields? Would I be better off just taking summer classes and working on my skills and portfolio until I graduate? If someone could set me straight it would be much appreciated. I should probably also say that while I wrote this post about applying to Blizzard which is a lofty goal I understand, I'd really be happy working for any studio. Blizzard is just my dream studio, because I'm passionate about the work they do.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Diametunim posted:

Goons, I'm in need of some Internship advice.

I'm still not really understanding the job title you want to have in the long run.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Brackhar posted:

Best of luck dude! You're someone that I want to get a foot in the door in this industry. :)

I feel the same way ;). Luckily I have a year of school and Games Done Quick for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
When you get in, show off them speedrunning skills Studio! :v:

Rooting for you man!