Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i'm pretty sure my car would fall apart like at the end of the blues brothers if i drove it two hours five days a week and i'm not buying a new car for one of those contract to hire scams

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

valeyard I thought we talked about this

I'll write an x word apology thread if it means I can post in peace

Luigi Thirty posted:

ugh well i found some 6 month contract-to-hire thing for a django developer near me in tampa (the listing says 2 years experience) but they want me to quote them a rate per hour and salary range and idk what to tell them for that

e: oh wait their location was wrong, actually it's an hour commute lol

This sounds like my dream job

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Luigi Thirty posted:

ugh well i found some 6 month contract-to-hire thing for a django developer near me in tampa (the listing says 2 years experience) but they want me to quote them a rate per hour and salary range and idk what to tell them for that

e: oh wait their location was wrong, actually it's an hour commute lol

take your most recent salary, calc what that would be hourly and at least double it for the quote

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hi what can i do with forth or a forth-like

forth seems fun

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

whoops this is the terrible programmer thread, not the programming language thread

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

hi what can i do with forth or a forth-like

forth seems fun

anything you want dude

write a forth

then write a forth interpreter in your forth

then write a typed forth compiler that is run through your forth interpreter

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

FamDav posted:

anything you want dude

write a forth

then write a forth interpreter in your forth

then write a typed forth compiler that is run through your forth interpreter

and after those three, you can write a fourth forth

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Microsoft Takes .NET Open Source And Cross-Platform

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
i'm a terrible programmer and google wants me to do a phone screen lol. lets see if i can become non terrible in a few weeks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Papes posted:

i'm a terrible programmer and google wants me to do a phone screen lol. lets see if i can become non terrible in a few weeks.

good luck :thumbsup:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Snapchat A Titty posted:

take your most recent salary, calc what that would be hourly and at least double it for the quote

yah this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i work retail, which is why my car is falling apart and I have no savings to get one that will drive me up there and back every day :smith:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

better to living poverty for ever than commute for a mile

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DimpledChad posted:

and after those three, you can write a fourth forth

lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Jesus said that, i think

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
yah i did

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

BONGHITZ posted:

better to living poverty for ever than commute for a mile

yeah, jesus l30.

dont sweat dumb details like your car status when you looking at a job that could get you out of retail forever jfc

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

i work retail, which is why my car is falling apart and I have no savings to get one that will drive me up there and back every day :smith:

you will be fine, get that money and pay off whatever little debt you got into to get a sweet job

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ploft-shell crab posted:

yeah, jesus l30.

dont sweat dumb details like your car status when you looking at a job that could get you out of retail forever jfc

I wouldn't if it wasn't contract-to-(not-)hire

this still doesn't answer my original question of how to figure out what pay rate to tell them because doubling 8 doesn't seem like a very good way to go

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
look on glassdoor for companies near you and their rates for developers of your experience, then multiply by 1.5.

maybe around 50?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Luigi Thirty posted:

this still doesn't answer my original question of how to figure out what pay rate to tell them because doubling 8 doesn't seem like a very good way to go

I have no clue about any of this poo poo or what salaries are like in your area, but if it was me in your position I would ask for something around 50 and maybe let them talk me down to 40 or 45.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yea i guess look up some salaries and use them as a base if you dont have one yourself

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Valeyard posted:

I'll write an x word apology thread if it means I can post in peace

just rereg. your brand is tainted.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

is it worse than quadruple sulk's dog

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bobbilljim posted:

srsly

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'd say it was on par

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Luigi Thirty posted:

worse really, no1 is complaining about triple sulk, even though he gets riffed on about the pugs. he owned his situation

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

rotor posted:

I'd say it was on par

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

working a professional job for $16 an hour still builds a much better resume than working retail for $8

the amount doesn't matter at all

just get your foot jammed in the drat door, worry about getting paid at your next gig.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

this is like tcc, you are not allowed to state prices

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
lots of places do contract to hire these days, unless you have an indication that they don't typically convert I wouldn't worry about it

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
My company outsources with a firm out of India for some stuff and their going rate is $35/hour which is the most cutrate poo poo ever and their work quality is loving horrible.

I think you have some play in what you reply with. That said, BSD's advice is really good and think about your 'pay' for this gig being a solid reference that you can use for the next job (and higher rate).

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

beaster developers go for like 40/45, but kush dev can charge upwards of $100 or more!!!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

lots of places do contract to hire these days, unless you have an indication that they don't typically convert I wouldn't worry about it

ya my place of hire does a lot of contract to hire stuff, in fact that is how i got my foot in the door

i was a contractor first doing leased line like T1/T3 stuff repair from a NOC side, which i was gonna get hired on for perm i found out except my boss called me up on the weekend like "hey your past exp on your resume is all (computer network) stuff, call this lady" and i did and got the job internally in a different group doing what i do now.

owns.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

rotor posted:

it is a company that actually makes useful products instead of a bullshit web startup so this is probably the case

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

fake it till u make it ala don draper

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rotor posted:

i am really suspicious of contract-to-hire in general. not because i don't think they'll actually hire, but because it has a lot of incentive problems

that said luigi 30 just needs to get a toehold in the industry. the conditions of his employment do not matter at all as long as the resume bullet points are right

just get your year or two of experience and do what you gotta do

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
as a contractor you exchange low job security and poo poo benefits for higher pay and some control over your hours

as an employee, you take a shittier salary in exchange for the warm embrace of corporate life -- reasonable job security + bennies/perks

so when you post a contract-to-hire job, who the gently caress do you get as applicants?

contractors don't need to be hired. they just want to get paid. advertising "contract-to-hire" indicates you don't really want to pay top dollar. only a truly desperate contractor will even apply, because all his normal leads have dried up and there are no other advertisements

potential employees don't want to be on a contract. they want health insurance and an FSA and a 401k, and the assurance they won't be fired if it can be avoided. what kind of reliable, risk-averse company man signs up to be a contract just for chance at a job offer at the end? the unemployed, hapless loser kind

contract-to-hire just makes no god drat sense as a strategy

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
contract-to-hire is loving bullshit because legally contractors set their own hours but lmfao if you think these places allow that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as a contractor you exchange low job security and poo poo benefits for higher pay and some control over your hours

as an employee, you take a shittier salary in exchange for the warm embrace of corporate life -- reasonable job security + bennies/perks

so when you post a contract-to-hire job, who the gently caress do you get as applicants?

contractors don't need to be hired. they just want to get paid. advertising "contract-to-hire" indicates you don't really want to pay top dollar. only a truly desperate contractor will even apply, because all his normal leads have dried up and there are no other advertisements

potential employees don't want to be on a contract. they want health insurance and an FSA and a 401k, and the assurance they won't be fired if it can be avoided. what kind of reliable, risk-averse company man signs up to be a contract just for chance at a job offer at the end? the unemployed, hapless loser kind

contract-to-hire just makes no god drat sense as a strategy

except there's a fair few unemployed, hapless loser kinds that can probably do the work. i'm guessing the only real downside of contract-to-hire is the turnover rate as their good hires head for greener pastures.

• Locked thread