Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So, I THINK one of the new Keep questions is whether or not Varric kept a piece of the red lyrium idol. I don't remember seeing that one there a few weeks ago.

Was that actually in the game? Do you think Varric can become insane in DA3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
In DA2 it was part of the haunted house quest for Varric and dealing with his brother. I always let him keep the shard because it meant his weapon got an extra rune slot. If you destroy it, you give it to Sandal who turns into some rune I never liked. Story wise, Varric wants to use it to help cure his brother.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Nice. Thanks. I think I destroyed it in the game, but I'll let him keep it for the worldstate (as if it'll matter in the game lol). Okay, one last question for now.

DO you think I should let Merril have kept the Eluvian mirror whole? I spent a lot of the game telling her she was dumb and going to get people hurt, but since I'm having the worldstate have my warden and Morrigan travel through the mirror in Witch Hunt, maybe having an extra mirror to travel around through could be cool for them. Eh?

Demons don't pop out at the end of the game and kill everyone, do they?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 12, 2014

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
For my mage / gain all power play, in DAO I did the ritual with Morrigan and went through the mirror with her. In DA2 I helped Merril fix the mirror. From a wiki summary I read one of the recent DA books talks about how other mirrors are used by rebel elves in Orlais. So I'm pretty happy with that outcome of restoring / using mirrors as often as possible. They're fancy portals to shortcut distances. Worst case a bunch of demons come pouring out killing peasants, feh deal with it later.

Yeah that happens, end of DA2 demons everywhere, mages pushed against a wall, templars gone crazy. Everything's hosed anyways in kirkwall, a mirror won't change much.

vvv hah exactly

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Nice. Thanks. I think I destroyed it in the game, but I'll let him keep it for the worldstate (as if it'll matter in the game lol). Okay, one last question for now.

DO you think I should let Merril have kept the Eluvian mirror whole? I spent a lot of the game telling her she was dumb and going to get people hurt, but since I'm having the worldstate have my warden and Morrigan travel through the mirror in Witch Hunt, maybe having an extra mirror to travel around through could be cool for them. Eh?

I kept the mirror intact. If demon's/taint/darkspawn come out if it, whatever, it's Kirkwall.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

Are you actually excited about Inquisition, Drifter?

I have a state where I had my warden follow Morrigan through the Eluvian and had Merril keep her mirror, and another where Morrigan was stabbed and Merril told to destroy that thing. I think it only makes sense to pair up these two outcomes.

I wonder how much impact any changes they make to the Keep can have on a game that will be released in 8 days?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

Are you actually excited about Inquisition, Drifter?

I have a state where I had my warden follow Morrigan through the Eluvian and had Merril keep her mirror, and another where Morrigan was stabbed and Merril told to destroy that thing. I think it only makes sense to pair up these two outcomes.

I wonder how much impact any changes they make to the Keep can have on a game that will be released in 8 days?

I'm very much confident that the game will not be anywhere close to as good as it could have been - much less what I would have wanted -, but it'll be at least as good as DA:O and better by a long way than DA2.

So excited? Somewhat. Not as much as I would have been years ago before my experiences with literally almost every other game. I think it'll be a fun enough game as games go, however.

I also think DAKeep is more of a game itself than a tool for DA3.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm gonna wait on this game until its been out for a while to see if it's really good. But I really want it to be good, because DA:O allowed me to be one of the biggest assholes in the world, and I want that experience again. DA2 didn't do that as much.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just took a look over at NeoGaf's forum about DA:I Reviews and it's like night and day compared to here. A nice ying/yang thing going with the positivity patrol and the negative nancies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

I just took a look over at NeoGaf's forum about DA:I Reviews and it's like night and day compared to here. A nice ying/yang thing going with the positivity patrol and the negative nancies.

Are we the positive patrol?

Also, I don't remember the Kiss Tallis option in the Keep before. Ahaha, Jesus Christ this is just loving stupid. What a shittily written character that was.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Sorry if this has been brought up already, but do we know if there's more cosmetic variety than in the previous games?

BioWare is typically stingy when it comes to creating more than a few tiers of armor for each class. I like the designs I'm seeing so far, and hope there will be a fair amount of unique equipment. Yes, I'm a nerd who loves to play dress-up with my imaginary RPG hero.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up already, but do we know if there's more cosmetic variety than in the previous games?

BioWare is typically stingy when it comes to creating more than a few tiers of armor for each class. I like the designs I'm seeing so far, and hope there will be a fair amount of unique equipment. Yes, I'm a nerd who loves to play dress-up with my imaginary RPG hero.

Mage hats are no longer stupid looking.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

For the craftable stuff at least, they have said that each set (pattern) can be made/upgrade with different materials that will affect the textures. So the same armor may be a red leather texture if made with dragonhide or a metal shine if made with iron. Should be plenty of room to experiment.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

Giantbomb quick look is up, just started watching but Matt Rorie mentions he's ~33 hours in at level 14.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-dragon-age-inquisition/2300-9695/

Just an aside, Matt Rorie used to work at Obsidian. He didn't do any development work but in a lot of stuff he's in he usually points out weird design choices developers make that no one else at giantbomb picks up on. Mainly dumb little things no one really gives much attention to, but it's pretty nice and makes you think about certain things or start noticing things you normally wouldn't.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KoB posted:

One of the hats was seriously just a cowboy hat. And if that's wrong, well brother, I don't wanna be right. :clint:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think I brought this up before but is there word about how much worse the PS3/360 versions are? I wonder if the graphics are downscaled, or if it's like Shadow of Mordor where they omit key gameplay aspects.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

CVagts posted:

I think I brought this up before but is there word about how much worse the PS3/360 versions are? I wonder if the graphics are downscaled, or if it's like Shadow of Mordor where they omit key gameplay aspects.
What I've seen it's only a difference in the graphical bling department and the loading times.

Although I'm still conflicted on whether I should go for the PC or the PS4 version, since my current rig is only slightly above the minimum requirements.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

CVagts posted:

From what I've seen it's not as bad as I would've expected--I've seen no indications they will be omitting gameplay aspects. Shadow of Mordor was dumb anyway: Recommended 6GB of VRAM for its textures and the game was boring after 10 hours. :v:

If you're truly worried your PC is borderline, wait for some reviews from people playing with older machines. Or get it based on whether you prefer controller or KBM. Even on low settings, the game doesn't look completely terrible.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Edit: Posting is hard.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm going with consoles for this because my computer is old and slow as hell. Though the low settings didn't actually look too bad, but not as good as PS4.

I'd say to buy it for whichever you're more comfortable playing games with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GhostBoy posted:

For the craftable stuff at least, they have said that each set (pattern) can be made/upgrade with different materials that will affect the textures. So the same armor may be a red leather texture if made with dragonhide or a metal shine if made with iron. Should be plenty of room to experiment.

Yeah, although it is worth noting that this also has cosmetic effects so you may end up with something that looks dumb as hell but gives +20 cunning so you're drat well gonna wear it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sylphosaurus posted:

What I've seen it's only a difference in the graphical bling department and the loading times.

Although I'm still conflicted on whether I should go for the PC or the PS4 version, since my current rig is only slightly above the minimum requirements.

I'd go witht eh PS4 if you don't have a good PC and you already own a PS4. I personally hate thet patching process on consoles, so I'd stay with a PC even if my comp weren't so awesome (it's pretty awesome).

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

I'd go witht eh PS4 if you don't have a good PC and you already own a PS4. I personally hate thet patching process on consoles, so I'd stay with a PC even if my comp weren't so awesome (it's pretty awesome).

My $2500 rig is a year old in a week so I'm probably just going to throw it away and buy a new one.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Archimago posted:

My $2500 rig is a year old in a week so I'm probably just going to throw it away and buy a new one.

Agreed give me your stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Archimago posted:

AlienWare scrub. :smug:

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, although it is worth noting that this also has cosmetic effects so you may end up with something that looks dumb as hell but gives +20 cunning so you're drat well gonna wear it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

Are we the positive patrol?

Also, I don't remember the Kiss Tallis option in the Keep before. Ahaha, Jesus Christ this is just loving stupid. What a shittily written character that was.

Yeah, the idol fragment and kiss Tallis options were there back in the closed beta, but easy to over look.

Agreed on Tallis, though I went ahead and made one of my states kiss her just because that Hawke was supposed to be an elf-phile. Thankfully I didn't actually play that file--I just made it up as a continuation of a game I started in DA:O (which was about an elf-supremacist).

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Drifter posted:

AlienWare scrub. :smug:

pls. Custom rig. Telling casuals that they wasted their money on Alienware is one of my favorite pastimes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Archimago posted:

pls. Custom rig. Telling casuals that they wasted their money on Alienware is one of my favorite pastimes.

:smuggo::respek::madmax:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

KoB posted:

There is a GodMaker.

Anyone have a "killed everyone possible" world state on the Keep they're willing to share?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Who cares enough about video games to drop over $2k on a gaming rig but not enough to build your own (and get far better parts for your money)??? I guess if you REALLY need a gaming laptop...

(I upgraded to an R9 290 for this game. :smuggo: More because of the sudden price drop and the fact that my old lovely card had 1GB VRAM but I'm gonna run this bitch on max settings.)

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Stroop There It Is posted:

Who cares enough about video games to drop over $2k on a gaming rig but not enough to build your own (and get far better parts for your money)??? I guess if you REALLY need a gaming laptop...

Too many, in my experience.

The quality of your rig is determined by how many neon lights it has, fyi.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

This. If you care enough about gaming to spend that kind of money, learning how to assemble your own PC and how to select decent components is not exactly rocket science.

KoB
May 1, 2009

People who have more money than time.

I build my own, but if I had tons of money I probably wouldnt bother.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Last Xmas I upgraded my processor. After slapping it in my PC wouldn't boot so I had to swap the part back. I was all ready to start a return when I figured out there was a BIOS update for my motherboard that would get it to work but this was only after googling like crazy to see if I had just been totally stupid and ordered the wrong part.

I've put together about 6 PCs from scratch and couldn't count the number of parts I've swapped out. Figuring out what RAM your motherboard needs, what processors it is compatible with, researching bargain prices and having random poo poo just going wrong? I can see someone just wanting to pay $2000 for a glowing alien head that you know will work out of the box.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I want to play Bloodborne so buying a PS4 looks to be my plan.

edit:

I also don't know anything about building a PC so that's another reason.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 12, 2014

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

This is great news, thanks. But I'll probably still wait and make sure.

I was going to build a computer in about a month or so, but with a budget of about $900, I'm not sure it'll run Inquisition beyond Medium or so. I don't know anything about building computers though so we'll see.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darkhold posted:

Figuring out what RAM your motherboard needs, what processors it is compatible with, researching bargain prices and having random poo poo just going wrong?

Literally takes about two hours over the course of a week.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Darkhold posted:

Last Xmas I upgraded my processor. After slapping it in my PC wouldn't boot so I had to swap the part back. I was all ready to start a return when I figured out there was a BIOS update for my motherboard that would get it to work but this was only after googling like crazy to see if I had just been totally stupid and ordered the wrong part.

I've put together about 6 PCs from scratch and couldn't count the number of parts I've swapped out. Figuring out what RAM your motherboard needs, what processors it is compatible with, researching bargain prices and having random poo poo just going wrong? I can see someone just wanting to pay $2000 for a glowing alien head that you know will work out of the box.

poo poo these days the prices you can buy are a lot closer to build costs too.

Gone are the days where a couple of fat assholes at the local 'Computer Shop' would charge you 100% markup on stuff, or you're bombarded with ads for 'killer PCs' that cost $4k for what you could build for $1.8k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
This may have been asked but is the day one patch from Sony only available through being online via PSN or would i be able to download it to an USB stick and manually update it that way?

Can't get on PSN for the foreseeable future and i don't want my save data being corrupted 60 odd hours in.

• Locked thread