Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Typically lint or something else in your lightning port. Get a toothpick and clean that poo poo out.
It's a brand new phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's a brand new phone.

Maybe they ship with lint now. You don't know that they don't.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Typically lint or something else in your lightning port. Get a toothpick and clean that poo poo out.

My youngest kid found my 6+ and somehow managed to fill the lightning port with chewed up cracker. :(

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I just got my iPhone 6+ and love it except for one little issue:

Anybody else get the error "this accessory may not be supported"? What could be causing this?

Are you using a cheap lightning cable?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

illcendiary posted:

Does that mean the Apple one? :iceburn:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Thanks for the Dark Sky recommendations! £2.49 is more than I'd usually want to pay for a weather app but from the sounds of it this is the de-facto one to get.

edit: Although looking at it, it seems to not do much more than forecast.io - and is slightly harder to read. Am I missing something that puts it above forecast.io? :confused:

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 12, 2014

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

Thanks for the Dark Sky recommendations! £2.49 is more than I'd usually want to pay for a weather app but from the sounds of it this is the de-facto one to get.

edit: Although looking at it, it seems to not do much more than forecast.io - and is slightly harder to read. Am I missing something that puts it above forecast.io? :confused:

It's not available in Canada. Put it to us smug bastards.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

It is a native app instead of a web page, and can send notifications when it is about to rain where you are.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

withak posted:

It is a native app instead of a web page, and can send notifications when it is about to rain where you are.

Which, depending on where you live are frequently wrong (South Florida).

BUT the widget is pretty nice, and I got Dark Sky for free a while ago from a Starbucks giveaway, so I'll gladly use it for the widget and then use Weather Underground for everything else.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You do know that Dark Sky is the official forecast.io app, right? It's linked on forecast.io and everything.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

illcendiary posted:

Literally pulled it out of the box and using it. Doesn't happen in a charger, just in a computer.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Can I just walk into an Apple Store and get an iPhone if I'm using ATT Next? Just want to make sure because the line is a mile long at any of the stores near me and I can't do personal pickup from Apple's website if I'm using ATT Next. Seems silly that I can't do that, but I can wait in line and perform the same transaction.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Literally pulled it out of the box and using it. Doesn't happen in a charger, just in a computer.

Power from the port maybe? Do you have another computer you try it on?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Can I just walk into an Apple Store and get an iPhone if I'm using ATT Next? Just want to make sure because the line is a mile long at any of the stores near me and I can't do personal pickup from Apple's website if I'm using ATT Next. Seems silly that I can't do that, but I can wait in line and perform the same transaction.

I know you can purchase from the online Apple Store using Next, so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same at a brick and mortar. The sales people are really just an anthropomorphic front end the web store anyway. They just do all the annoying clicking and filling in of information.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I accidentally started adding new contacts under my exchange account instead of my icloud account.

Is there any cheap and painless way of moving these contacts over to my icloud account?

I have found a few guides online, and a few paid apps. However my father has done the same thing and Id like to be able to tell him a very simple way of fixing it. He is going to be moving to a 6 soon and he is dumping that exchange account.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

spunkshui posted:

I accidentally started adding new contacts under my exchange account instead of my icloud account.

Is there any cheap and painless way of moving these contacts over to my icloud account?

I have found a few guides online, and a few paid apps. However my father has done the same thing and Id like to be able to tell him a very simple way of fixing it. He is going to be moving to a 6 soon and he is dumping that exchange account.

Sync them with your mac and then sync your mac with iCloud?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

flosofl posted:

I know you can purchase from the online Apple Store using Next, so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same at a brick and mortar. The sales people are really just an anthropomorphic front end the web store anyway. They just do all the annoying clicking and filling in of information.

Can't be done. New next activations are possible, but not if you're already on Next it's not possible. There's a reason you can't do in store pickup for it.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

So I spend a lot of time driving speedboats for my work, and I've destroyed a couple of phones over the years due to water damage... I'd rather not risk that again, so does anyone know of any good waterproof iPhone 6 cases? I've done a bit of a search, but it doesn't seem like there are any decent ones out there yet. Am I just best off waiting for the Lifeproof case?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Sync them with your mac and then sync your mac with iCloud?

That didnt seem to fix it.

If I look at "groups" in the upper left on contacts I have two groups: icloud, and then my works exchange account.

I need to somehow export all of my exchange contacts into something called a vcard and then import them to icloud.

Outlook doesn't seem to be able to do this.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Solution: in outlook there is a way to email yourself all of your current contacts.

I emailed them to my icloud email account, added them 1 by 1, and then deleted all contacts in my exchange account on my computer.

I only had 11 contacts to move.

Anyone know of a good app that can move contacts in a more automated way?

Dreading the idea of explaining all this to my dad, on top of having him set up outlook.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
If you have both Exchange and iCloud in OSX Contacts you should be able to drag-and-drop entries between accounts.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

flosofl posted:

Power from the port maybe? Do you have another computer you try it on?

It's probably just my front USB panel, then. I don't seem to be getting the same issue in other computers.

Thanks for the help. :)

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Depressing Box posted:

If you have both Exchange and iCloud in OSX Contacts you should be able to drag-and-drop entries between accounts.

Dads on a windows computer :(

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
If your phone is crashing a lot and you suspect that it might be TLC.

You can check if your phone is using TLC or MLC by running this link in mobile safari and install a thing and go into

" 「 N61AP 」(really bottom, your device),「 AppleARMPE 」 -> 「 arm-io 」 -> 「 AppleT7000IO 」 -> 「 ans 」 -> 「 AppleA7IOPV1 」 -> 「 AppleCSI 」 -> 「 asp 」 -> 「 ASPStorage 」。"

The 'default bits per cell' variable shows MLC as 2 and TLC as 3.

Edit: if you are paranoid, turn on airplane mode when you launch the app and delete the app after you are done checking.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 13, 2014

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

ShoeFly posted:

So I spend a lot of time driving speedboats for my work, and I've destroyed a couple of phones over the years due to water damage... I'd rather not risk that again, so does anyone know of any good waterproof iPhone 6 cases? I've done a bit of a search, but it doesn't seem like there are any decent ones out there yet. Am I just best off waiting for the Lifeproof case?

Every weekend I'm out on the water so I was looking for a similar thing. So far I've come up with two options and neither are out yet, unfortunately. The LifeProof being one and the Aquatik being the other. LifeProof says theirs will release sometime this month, Aquatik won't be out until January.

I'm leaning towards the LifeProof myself since my carrier (Verizon) has additional insurance against water damage if you buy one of their cases through them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Let me clarify so you know whats possible.

If you are new to ATT, Apple cannot do Next.

If you already have ATT and Next, and you want to trade up your phone (which is trade in phone, takes care of balance, get new phone), Apple cannot do it. You can, however, buy out the rest of the phone balance and then get the phone from Apple. Just trade your phone in later or sell it on eBay for more.

If you already have ATT and don't have Next at all, Apple can upgrade you.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I got my 6+ in the mail on Monday and its amazing. I was really nervous about going with the plus but Im so happy I did. My wifes regular six looks almost comical to me already. I actually feel bad for her but she insists that she wouldnt like the bigger one so . . .

One question on slow motion video I have is is there a way to put in multiple slow mortion portions? For example I want to start a video at regular speed, slow down for a few seconds, then speed back up until I hit the next part I want to slow down.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

It's probably just my front USB panel, then. I don't seem to be getting the same issue in other computers.

Thanks for the help. :)

Front USB ports are frequently garbage. Two phones in a row (5 and 6), I've had to re learn that mine are not reliable enough to sync my whole library. Switch to a port on the main board, works fine.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Keystoned posted:

I got my 6+ in the mail on Monday and its amazing. I was really nervous about going with the plus but Im so happy I did. My wifes regular six looks almost comical to me already. I actually feel bad for her but she insists that she wouldnt like the bigger one so . . .

One question on slow motion video I have is is there a way to put in multiple slow mortion portions? For example I want to start a video at regular speed, slow down for a few seconds, then speed back up until I hit the next part I want to slow down.
There's a free app called Slow Fast Slow which I'm pretty sure does that.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Is there a way to remove the Recent Contacts at the top of the screen when you're in Multitasking view? I am literally asking for a friend who I guess doesn't want any trace of people he's been in touch with. Whether due to shadiness or overly concerned about privacy or whatever, he came asking me about it and I'm stumped. I'm leaning toward there not actually being a way to do that.

e: nvm, I didn't even bother googling first but here's the answer: http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/remove-recent-contacts-from-iphones-app-switcher-ios-8-0156435/

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Settings>Contacts>Show in App Switcher

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So, let me start by saying I know gently caress all about iOS and iPhones, etc. My family all have iPhones except for me. My wife recently got them all on the family sharing thing. Right now, my daughter has available dollars on her account but when she buys it charges to my wife's credit card? IS there any way to change this behavior? If so it seems weird that there is no way my daughter can use an iTunes gift card on her iTunes account.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

vulturesrow posted:

So, let me start by saying I know gently caress all about iOS and iPhones, etc. My family all have iPhones except for me. My wife recently got them all on the family sharing thing. Right now, my daughter has available dollars on her account but when she buys it charges to my wife's credit card? IS there any way to change this behavior? If so it seems weird that there is no way my daughter can use an iTunes gift card on her iTunes account.

Gift card credit should get used up before any charges get put on the main credit card: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201079

Make sure your daughter is actually signed in to the app store with her account and not someone else's. If it's still not working right try calling support I guess.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

vulturesrow posted:

ITunes sometimes has a bit of lag when showing gift card balances. Usually signing out and then back in fixes it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

spunkshui posted:

Dads on a windows computer :(

iCloud.com lets you manage and import/export contacts. You should be able to do a bulk transfer through it.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 14, 2014

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

iCloud.com lets you manage and import/export contacts.

But how do I expert the exchange contacts in vcard format?

The icloud account only shows icloud contacts. Even if I have him set up exchange, it doesn't support exporting via vcard.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

spunkshui posted:

The icloud account only shows icloud contacts. Even if I have him set up exchange, it doesn't support exporting via vcard.

Download some vcard contact export app, import them in iCloud after deleting all of your contacts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

spunkshui posted:

It's been years since I had to do it but I'm almost sure you can drag/drop or import the csv file or whatever it is you end up from outlook into the contact list on iCloud.com

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
It loving infuriates me that they can't stop making iTunes a piece of festering poo poo. I'm having to restore my iPad because of 30 gig of other space because, guess what, its sync process poo poo itself, like it does every time.

Am I the only one that still syncs media on their devices? Is Android any better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I actually don't keep any media in iTunes, I have about 60gb of music loaded to Google Play and just use their iOS app. The only time I use iTunes is to backup/restore devices.