Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We're posting our own stuff ?

http://pastebin.com/RftTCMvU (paragraphs set off by // should be in italics)

This grew out as a character sketch for another story. That story grew out of a scene I wanted to happen in a Dark Heresy game before i realized that was railroading and I should just write the drat story, not make people act it out with dice.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I started reading The Return of Nagash by Chris Wraight.

Fall of Altdorf is also pretty good. It told the same story as Glottkin Book 1 but a lot better. It's just missing the ending, but that will probably come up in the next novel.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Spoiler alert: Nagash returns, Altdorf falls.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Immanentized posted:

Was originally November 18th but now Amazon has it for June 25, 2015.

This is like the 3rd pushback, anyone know what's up?

Booo. :mad:
Guess it'll be another six months with nothing but heresies and space marines then.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Remora posted:

I agree fully with the bits about bald screaming white guys with chainsaws, and agree that Black Library needs better female characters. I'm DEFINITELY going to argue against this:

There are only around a million Space Marines in the entire galaxy, and the overwhelming majority of their time is spent on one of the following activities: killing, training to kill better, or stuck on a ship going to kill things. Chapters like the White Consuls and the Ultramarines (which is to say, Chapters integrated into the greater defense structure of the Imperium on a day-to-day level) are the minority exception, not the norm. The actual work of maintaining the Imperium (and as MrNemo so rightly noted, conquering it in the first place) is overwhelmingly shouldered by the Guard and the Navy, with help from the Inquisition - all mixed-gender institutions. You are completely correct in that the writers of the setting need to push that harder. I haven't read enough 30K to really have an opinion on that part of the setting, so I defer to others there.

Basically what I'm saying is that the Astartes are just the sexy firemen on the Imperial fundraising calendar (unauthorized distribution is heretical by order of Inquisitor Chippendale, In Nomine Imperator).

There are already examples of strong female characters from the captain of Angron's flagship to the 'muse' of the Word Bearers in 30k and also in 40k from the female guardsmen and inquisitors in the Caiaphas Cain series to the Arbites series about Shira Calpurnia to the characters in one off books like the female Fenrisian Inquisitor in Emperor's Gift and the Titan Princeps in Helsreach.

I don't think the writers are trying to push some kind of equality agenda but it's always been pretty clear that the Imperium, aside from the Space Marines, don't really discriminate against sex.

EvilUrchin
Jun 13, 2007

Sigmar's Fist: 5 Star Crash Rating

Immanentized posted:

Was originally November 18th but now Amazon has it for June 25, 2015.

This is like the 3rd pushback, anyone know what's up?

Could be his health issues slowing things down. He did say his output was going to drop significantly in order to properly deal with his epilepsy.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

There are already examples of strong female characters from the captain of Angron's flagship to the 'muse' of the Word Bearers in 30k and also in 40k from the female guardsmen and inquisitors in the Caiaphas Cain series to the Arbites series about Shira Calpurnia to the characters in one off books like the female Fenrisian Inquisitor in Emperor's Gift and the Titan Princeps in Helsreach.

I really liked Cyrene. Especially that she was not a wilting flower despite being a supportive person, and that she actually took lovers while doing her job instead of being a virginal purity beacon of pureness. I hope they revisit her story in the future, as the POV of a chaos-worshipping mortal who is not bonkers insane is a rare treat.

But yes, Captain Lotara is the bee's knees. Too bad she likely died offscreen to some frothing berserker after telling him off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sephyr posted:

Captain Lotara is the bee's knees. Too bad she likely died offscreen to some frothing berserker after telling him off.

I dunno, she got away with that once, including shooting said frothing berserker in the face with her sidearm. :v:

More likely, I suspect, is that Lotara dies at Terra when the Conquerer is inevitably destroyed in a glorious defeat that takes numerous Imperial ships down with it.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Fried Chicken posted:

not-Horus destroys her in the book, so I don't see how she will be bakc

In the afterword Khayon specifically mentions that he hasn't yet told the story about how he attacked one of the noble houses in Commorragh to get Nefertari back, so I think that's a pretty clear indication she'll be back.

Kylaer, keep posting those stories, they're really quite good and much better than some of the poo poo that gets published.

Talking about terrible Black Library books, I should have known better than to read some of the Sanctus Reach novellas. I think that Evil Sun Rising (the one written from the Ork perspective) may be the worst 40k thing I've ever read, and I read all three of Nick Kyme's Salamander books. However, Maledictus by David Annandale is actually a pretty good inquisitor/Grey Knights novella, if you like those factions.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Guy Haley's not a bad author from all accounts I've heard, but yeah, that Ork POV story was painful just to get through the free excerpt I read.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
There was a blurb in one of the 40K RPG products about a female Daemon Prince, which I thought was really cool.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can't think of one of those that isn't a booby-daemon.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Wax Dynasty posted:

In the afterword Khayon specifically mentions that he hasn't yet told the story about how he attacked one of the noble houses in Commorragh to get Nefertari back, so I think that's a pretty clear indication she'll be back.

Not quite - it was an attack of vengeance, not recovery.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JerryLee posted:

There was a blurb in one of the 40K RPG products about a female Daemon Prince, which I thought was really cool.

Valkia the Bloody (aka Gorequeen, the Bringer of Glory, and the Sword-Maiden of the Blood God) is a daemon prince of Khorne in the WFB universe.

She was a warrior queen and was approached by a Slaanesh daemon prince who wanted her to be his sex slave. She went off the deep end and swore she'd lay his skull at Khorne's throne, killed him and nailed his head on her shield. Slaanesh's followers were a little pissed at that, and wound up eventually killing her. Khorne decided she was far too valuable though, and he returned her to life as a daemon prince.

That's how you do it, son. :black101:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Spoiler alert: Nagash returns, Altdorf falls.

Uh oh I hope the Skaven find another stooge to destroy him again

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Can we rename the thread to The Black Library: Deviant Art

Is Warhammer fantasy better than 40K in terms of fluff, lore, and books?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 12, 2014

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Is Warhammer fantasy better than 40K in terms of fluff, lore, and books?
Not necessarily. I'd say that WFB is probably better written, in terms of novels, because there is less inclination to toss Space Marines into everything. That being said, i have not read every single WFB novel, as some things really don't interest me - I don't care for Elves or Dwarfs, so their novels are really low on my list. And of course, you're going to have the fact that some authors are better than others, just like with the 40K stuff.

I will say that the End Times stuff (so far) is pretty drat awesome (Arkhan the Black raised a zombie kitty cat that rides on his shoulders! :keke:) and I am really enjoying the novels and rulebook fluff.

I think that WFB has a big plus on its side in that there is no big, story breaking central character involved (i.e. the Emperor on the Golden Throne.) WFB is free to advance and change things, where 40K is locked into their storyline.

Ultimately, though, WFB vs. Fantasy comes down to personal preference - neither are "better," they simply "are." Both have good and bad - right now, I believe that WFB has the upper hand on interesting stuff.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Warhammer 40k has the retarded 12 streak loser Abaddon as its biggest villain, Fantasy has Nagash

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

amuayse posted:

Warhammer 40k has the retarded 12 streak loser Abaddon as its biggest villain, Fantasy has Nagash

Hey man, after you read Talon of Horus, you'll feel differently about Abaddon. I certainly do.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

mllaneza posted:

We're posting our own stuff ?

http://pastebin.com/RftTCMvU (paragraphs set off by // should be in italics)

This grew out as a character sketch for another story. That story grew out of a scene I wanted to happen in a Dark Heresy game before i realized that was railroading and I should just write the drat story, not make people act it out with dice.

This wasn't bad, either! How come goons can write better 40k stuff just for fun than the morons that get paid to do it?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Umiapik posted:

This wasn't bad, either! How come goons can write better 40k stuff just for fun than the morons that get paid to do it?

Well for one thing, I expect a lot of the paid writers haven't read nearly as much of the stuff as we have. Also, the just for fun stuff gets to do things like Doc Eldar that just wouldn't be allowed by Black Library. Greater Familiarity + Greater Freedom = Better Product....but sadly, that doesn't mean that said product is anything that BL would actually use. :shrug:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

amuayse posted:

Honestly, Abaddon's accomplishments are better measured in his continued state of still being alive despite the inevitable chaos backstabbing than any actual victory over the Imperium.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

I've heard Nagash has conquered Altdorf. If that's true, this has me interested in Warhammer Fantasy again, just to see what the Skaven are up to now. (For those who aren't reading everything Skaven-related like their holy gospel, the Skaven have some sort of blood feud with Nagash going on. At one point they even forged a magic sword for the sole purpose of destroying him and gave it to some dumb fucker. Also one of the greatest Skaven-cities is under Altdorf. So they can't really ignore this.)

Since those rat-faced bastards are always dreaming of the day they can destroy/conquer the Empire and subjugate all humans, someone getting there first must really gnaw at them. :v:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

amuayse posted:

How do you know his goals haven't been met! Victory isn't always measured in... victory.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I admit I do like Skaven a lot due to their hilarious antics and psychology. Thanquol and Boneripper are like the Cain and Jurgen equivalent in humor.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I don't know about you guys, but I am really hoping that ADB does more with Kharn post Betrayer. I never thought that he could be an interesting or sympathetic character but ADB did an amazing job, and it has made me rethink the entire character. I know that I, for one, found him a much more compelling character than Garro or Loken.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

jadebullet posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I am really hoping that ADB does more with Kharn post Betrayer. I never thought that he could be an interesting or sympathetic character but ADB did an amazing job, and it has made me rethink the entire character. I know that I, for one, found him a much more compelling character than Garro or Loken.

I concur and sincerely hope kharne gets his own adventures

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I still love the short story where Kharn is fighting a Slaaneshi cult and he has a kill counter built into his helmet. I think it reaches 1000 for the battle before he resets it at the end.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SRM posted:

I still love the short story where Kharn is fighting a Slaaneshi cult and he has a kill counter built into his helmet. I think it reaches 1000 for the battle before he resets it at the end.

That's a really solid short story. And it was in an anthology I read recently. When it comes back to me, I'll post which.

The 40K Role-play thread touched on Astartes out of the armor and how they'd interact being, y'know, huge. I've started, but not finished another short featuring a Marine on his way to, but not actually indoctrinated in, the Deathwatch. He stops off to help an Order Xenos team. The short I posted previously was a character study to work on the character who emerged from writing this:

http://pastebin.com/MJxwt2x3

I'm saving writing the titular scene, the one I started the whole thing on, for when I've gotten all the rest of it done. I'm deathly afraid I'll lose all creative momentum when the most important scene is written. And I need to re-watch Blade Runner for some visual inspiration on the nicer parts of the underhive. And some Hong Kong, never enough John Woo in 40k.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Libluini posted:

I've heard Nagash has conquered Altdorf. If that's true, this has me interested in Warhammer Fantasy again, just to see what the Skaven are up to now. (For those who aren't reading everything Skaven-related like their holy gospel, the Skaven have some sort of blood feud with Nagash going on. At one point they even forged a magic sword for the sole purpose of destroying him and gave it to some dumb fucker. Also one of the greatest Skaven-cities is under Altdorf. So they can't really ignore this.)

Wait, since when did the Skaven have that kind of problem with Nagash? I know they have a real blood-feud with the Lizardmen which was the justification for their invasion of the Lizardmen's realm a while back, but I don't remember hearing about anything similar with him.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nagash didn't conquer Altdorf, he conquered Not-Egypt.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Serpentis posted:

Wait, since when did the Skaven have that kind of problem with Nagash? I know they have a real blood-feud with the Lizardmen which was the justification for their invasion of the Lizardmen's realm a while back, but I don't remember hearing about anything similar with him.

Since forever? Nagash has access to enormous stores of warpstone and when their alliance inevitably broke, they loaded up one of his human enemies with the Fellblade and super magical protection before pointing him at Nagash.

What GW is doing with fantasy is interesting but I've been pretty sceptical about it since for they don't exactly have a history of wanting to advance the plot.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

What GW is doing with fantasy is interesting but I've been pretty sceptical about it since for they don't exactly have a history of wanting to advance the plot.
Nagash is back, Kislev is falling to Chaos, Tilea has fallen to the Skaven, the Lizardmen are leaving Lustria - what more do you want?

It's really tiring to hear the "GW doesn't advance the storyline, so ho-hum" complaint. Get over it - they are not going to kill the Emperor in 40K or make any huge changes that are going to affect their gaming properties. The WFB storyline will likely end with borders redrawn, a few characters dead, but everything returning to relative status quo. Their lifeblood is plastic models and expensive rule sets, not books.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 13, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Nagash didn't conquer Altdorf, he conquered Not-Egypt.

So what's this about Altdorf falling in the end times then? Did it even fall and to whom?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Libluini posted:

So what's this about Altdorf falling in the end times then? Did it even fall and to whom?
I haven't read the novel yet, but in the Nagash rule/fluff book, it states that the Empire is falling due to internal issues. Plague is also taking its toll, and, I assume, that is a precursor to the Glottkin/Nurgle moving in from the north. Also, Karl Franz has disappeared, so Helborg retreats back to Altdorf to reassess and prepare for a final battle.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I haven't read the novel yet, but in the Nagash rule/fluff book, it states that the Empire is falling due to internal issues. Plague is also taking its toll, and, I assume, that is a precursor to the Glottkin/Nurgle moving in from the north. Also, Karl Franz has disappeared, so Helborg retreats back to Altdorf to reassess and prepare for a final battle.

Ah, so it isn't a done deal yet. You know, I would be pretty disappointed if the Skaven don't make an appearance throughout all of this.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Libluini posted:

Ah, so it isn't a done deal yet. You know, I would be pretty disappointed if the Skaven don't make an appearance throughout all of this.
Oh, they've appeared. They took over Tilea and own many of the major cities there. Plus, as stated previously, they have the sword that killed Nagash before, so Chekhov's gun and all...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh, they've appeared. They took over Tilea and own many of the major cities there. Plus, as stated previously, they have the sword that killed Nagash before, so Chekhov's gun and all...

I love this! :allears: It's like the time when the Skaven nearly took over the entire Empire!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kegslayer posted:

You know the current Emperor Karl Franz is the third one that there's been stories about right? The first one I remember reading about was this one's grandfather, and this guy is the irritating kid in the Genevieve stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
This is still the first and only Emperor Karl-Franz. He was Emperor during Drachenfels and the kid was his son.