Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goldjas posted:

I have, twice even. It's fun in a way, but it is really silly. You have to go full crazy with it though and only take it about as seriously as an episode of DBZ or something similar. I think 4E epic worked a lot better actually because while it had some of the same insanity, the combat still more or less worked like it did at low levels just...more.

Also, it is really weird that Demi-liches are weaker then liches, as Demi-Liches have always been just straight up super-mega liches since they were originally introduced, so it's weird that they'd mess that up, especially in an edition seemingly specifically made to not change that kind of stuff.

Back in 1ste Lichs were super powerful. Demilichs were super powerful as well and a step above liches but not as big a step as they were in 3e for example.

As I pointed out there is pretty much two Demilichs in the Monster Manual. A Demilich that is created when a Lich stops eating souls and eventually decays because of that and the Acererak style true Demilichs which are considered to be just as if not more powerful then normal Liches.

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

I'm just starting out and trying to figure out how my wizard works in combat and it's either vague or buried in flavour, but would a cantrip like Ray of Frost roll proficiency against the target's AC or does it automatically hit? Would a spell that the target can roll a save against, like Burning Hands, also need to pass a prof check? If Ray of Frost requires a prof check and has the chance of rolling a 1 with no modifier why not just have a light crossbow for the guaranteed damage? Google is pretty sparse on this kind of info but I'm probably phrasing it wrong.

You are overcompensating things. It says in the spell how it works.

Ray of Frost
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
A frigid beam of blue-white light streaks toward a
creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack
against the target. On a hit, it takes 1d8 cold damage,
and its speed is reduced by 10 feet until the start of
your next turn.
The spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach
5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Your attack bonus with a spell attack equals your spellcasting ability modifier + your proficiency bonus. So you are just making an attack roll against his AC nothing more nothing less. You have a slightly better chance of hitting with it over a Crossbow given that you will probably using your highest stat for the roll.

I don't even think there is a thing in the game called a Proficiency check.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

I'm just starting out and trying to figure out how my wizard works in combat and it's either vague or buried in flavour, but would a cantrip like Ray of Frost roll proficiency against the target's AC or does it automatically hit?

The spell description (PHB page 271) says "Make a ranged spell attack against the target", so you make a ranged spell attack - "Your attack bonus is equal to your spellcasting ability modifier + your proficiency bonus" (PHB page 206).

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Would a spell that the target can roll a save against, like Burning Hands, also need to pass a prof check?

No. Burning hands hits everything in its area of effect, and affected creatures get to save for half damage.

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

If Ray of Frost requires a prof check and has the chance of rolling a 1 with no modifier why not just have a light crossbow for the guaranteed damage? Google is pretty sparse on this kind of info but I'm probably phrasing it wrong.

How are you getting "guaranteed damage" from a light crossbow attack? Admittedly, I might have misread something here but a light crossbow makes normal ranged attacks and those don't get any guaranteed damage.

I'm pretty sure I don't understand the question.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 12, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

I'm just starting out and trying to figure out how my wizard works in combat and it's either vague or buried in flavour, but would a cantrip like Ray of Frost roll proficiency against the target's AC or does it automatically hit? Would a spell that the target can roll a save against, like Burning Hands, also need to pass a prof check? If Ray of Frost requires a prof check and has the chance of rolling a 1 with no modifier why not just have a light crossbow for the guaranteed damage? Google is pretty sparse on this kind of info but I'm probably phrasing it wrong.

If the spell mentions using a "spell attack", then you need to roll [1d20 + Proficiency + WIS/INT/CHA modifier] and beat the target's AC for the spell to hit.

Which modifier to use depends on which attribute your class uses for spellcasting. A Wizard uses INT, a Bard uses CHA, a Cleric uses WIS, etc.

If the spell mentions using a "ranged spell attack", then you can roll to hit a target from range. If the spell mentions using a "melee spell attack", then you have to be within melee range/5 feet.

Ray of Frost says "Make a ranged spell attack", so what I mentioned above applies: roll [1d20 + Proficiency + INT modifier] and if the result is equal to or higher than the target's AC, the target takes 1d8 cold damage and the target's speed is reduced by 10 feet until the start of your next turn.

===

In contrast, if the spell mentions making a "saving throw", then the spell will generally "just hit", and then the target needs to make a make a saving throw and get equal to or higher than a set Difficulty Class in order to mitigate or avoid its effects.

A saving throw is a roll of [1d20 + attribute modifier]. The spell's description will tell you which attribute modifier to use: Fireball says to use DEX, ostensibly to represent jumping/moving to avoid the blast. It's also possible to be proficient in specific saving throw attributes - a Wizard gets to add his Proficiency when rolling to save against spells that use the INT and WIS modifiers.

The DC, or the number that the saving throw has to beat, is [8 + (the caster's) Proficiency + WIS/INT/CHA modifier]. Which modifier to use depends on which attribte your class uses for spellcasting.

Acid Splash says "A target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 acid damage." If it succeeds on the saving throw, then nothing happens. If it fails the saving throw, it takes 1d6 acid damage

Fireball says "A target takes 8d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one." This is different from Acid Splash because damage is still dealt even on a successful save, but less.

Yet other spells, like Charm, simply inflict effects, and usually this will be a binary result similar to Acid Splash - either the target fails the saving throw and the spell takes effect, or it does not.

EDIT: Burning Hands works the same way as Fireball - everything in a 15-foot cone must make a saving throw using their DEX modifier (and their Proficiency bonus if they are proficient in DEX saves). If the result is equal to or higher than [8 + your Wizard's Proficiency + INT modifier] then they take half of 3d6 damage. If they failed the save/the result is less, then they take the full 3d6 damage.

===

To be clear, if the spell calls for a "spell attack", then the caster rolls a d20 and tries to beat the target's AC; if the spell calls for a "saving throw" then the target rolls a d20 and tries to beat the caster's spell DC.

Comparing Ray of Frost against a light crossbow, it's [d20 + Proficiency + INT modifier vs AC] for Ray of Frost, and then it's [d20 + Proficiency + DEX modifier vs AC] for the light crossbow. Ray of Frost is 1d8 damage + slow, whereas a light crossbow hit is 1d8 damage + DEX modifier.

Neither is "guaranteed" damage, although whether the specific damage-per-round of Ray of Frost is higher than the light crossbow is dependent on your attribute allocation.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 12, 2014

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AlphaDog posted:

How are you getting "guaranteed damage" from a light crossbow attack? Admittedly, I might have misread something here but a light crossbow makes normal ranged attacks and those don't get any guaranteed damage.

I'm pretty sure I don't understand the question.
Sounds like he thought he had to roll a hit, then beat a save if it hit.

Your damaging spells will generally use a spell attack roll OR the enemy can roll to resist. Outside of unusual circumstance, your wizard doesn't want to use a crossbow. Mechanically using Ray of Frost is the same as attacking with a crossbow, you just use more bonuses for your spell and do better damage.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
The reason some spells in D&D make you roll to hit and other spells make the targets roll to dodge and yet other spells work in different, completely batshit ways is because it was all made up as it went along, the rules were band-aid fixes for specific scenarios that didn't make sense and it's now very clear that they weren't thought through with any consistency of theme or application. 4E completely fixed this and then 5E decided to unfix it again because it's traditional D&D.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Sounds like he thought he had to roll a hit, then beat a save if it hit.

Yeah, I can see how you'd mess it up if you hadn't played much/any D&D. I really wish the language used was more newbie-friendly (ie, clear), but learning D&D by reading a clearly-written rulebook that presented concepts in a logical and fun way wouldn't be traditional now, would it?

Pictured: Not traditional Dungeons & Dragons.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 12, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MonsterEnvy posted:

As I pointed out there is pretty much two Demilichs in the Monster Manual. A Demilich that is created when a Lich stops eating souls and eventually decays because of that and the Acererak style true Demilichs which are considered to be just as if not more powerful then normal Liches.

Other than Next, which MM has the weaker demilich?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
demi-prefix

1.half; half-size. "demisemiquaver"

2.partially; in an inferior degree. "demigod"

So if 5e is the only edition where demilichs are weaker then Lichs, then it's the only edition that is using the prefix demi correctly.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

moths posted:

I dunno. Has anyone tweeted Mearls yet about this?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

moths posted:

That is up to your DM.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Clinton1011 posted:

It's this one, although only the lich's corporeal form is diminished. It's grown old (and powerful!) enough that all which remains of its initial form is a collection of relics - it's like a profane "saint" of necromantic magic.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Clinton1011 posted:

demi-prefix

1.half; half-size. "demisemiquaver"

So if 5e is the only edition where demilichs are weaker then Lichs, then it's the only edition that is using the prefix demi correctly.

The other ones are using demi as in half-size. Old-style demiliches have managed to compress their arcane might into just a skull, which is a lot harder to hit.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

goldjas posted:

I have, twice even. It's fun in a way, but it is really silly. You have to go full crazy with it though and only take it about as seriously as an episode of DBZ or something similar. I think 4E epic worked a lot better actually because while it had some of the same insanity, the combat still more or less worked like it did at low levels just...more.
If by "more" you mean "two goddamn hours more" then I agree. 4e epic combat took wayyyyy too long and, combined with the plainly obvious (even back then) fact that 5e wasn't going to be what I was looking for, was the reason I started making Strike in the first place.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

gradenko_2000 posted:

information on spells

Thanks this really cleared it up! And thanks to everyone else, too. As for the last part, I shouldn't have said guaranteed, I meant a higher guaranteed minimum with dex modifier for the xbow.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

A demilich is a dark wizard who took on the form of Demi Moore to achieve immortality.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Clearly instead of 100% Lich a Demilich is 50% Lich 50% ???.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Dragon, probably. Or human. One of those.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Cerepol posted:

Clearly instead of 100% Lich a Demilich is 50% Lich 50% ???.

They're half lich and half ling, obviously.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jimbozig posted:

If by "more" you mean "two goddamn hours more" then I agree. 4e epic combat took wayyyyy too long and, combined with the plainly obvious (even back then) fact that 5e wasn't going to be what I was looking for, was the reason I started making Strike in the first place.

Where can I find the Strike rules?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
In the Strike! thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3656713

In other news, they also previewed how to create races:
http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DMG_286.pdf

It boils down, apparently, to 'gently caress I dunno, make something up I guess'.

Also, Eldarin (which for some reason are in the DMG and) which, precisely as expected, are as unique and magical as 'your racial ability is casting this wizard spell once per rest.

gently caress. Off.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

In the Strike! thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3656713

In other news, they also previewed how to create races:
http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DMG_286.pdf

It boils down, apparently, to 'gently caress I dunno, make something up I guess'.

Also, Eldarin (which for some reason are in the DMG and) which, precisely as expected, are as unique and magical as 'your racial ability is casting this wizard spell once per rest.

gently caress. Off.

My favorite part is that the race they chose to represent creating a whole new race? Aasimar. And they specifically state that they're just gonna try and mirror the tiefling abilities. :effort:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, Eldarin (which for some reason are in the DMG)

This will go well with half the races in the PHB being out of alphabetical order with the other half because *faaaart*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Another DM preview, this time for wondrous magical items

http://io9.com/some-wondrous-magic-items-from-the-5th-edition-dungeon-1657365274

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Mayonnaise-generating magic item.

I don't think any more needs to be said.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
An uncommon item that can produce anything you want as long as it's useless.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

30.5 Days posted:

An uncommon item that can produce anything you want as long as it's useless.

What is a Table Top Role Playing Game?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Libertad! posted:

I like that it exceeds its maximum amount of oil by a power of ten to generate mayonnaise, and it can't make eggs. Just mayo. You know, for alchemy.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Libertad! posted:

I feel like you can't pour two gallons of mayo out of a jar in a minute. Immersion ruined.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

S.J. posted:

What is a Table Top Role Playing Game?

I can't get enough of this post!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Apparatus of Kwalish starts taking crush damage at 900 feet underwater but doesn't take extra crush damage from going deeper than that.

Immersion ruined.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

Apparatus of Kwalish starts taking crush damage at 900 feet underwater but doesn't take extra crush damage from going deeper than that.

Immersion ruined.

Has anyone ever used that thing in a game?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Boing posted:

The reason some spells in D&D make you roll to hit and other spells make the targets roll to dodge and yet other spells work in different, completely batshit ways is because it was all made up as it went along, the rules were band-aid fixes for specific scenarios that didn't make sense and it's now very clear that they weren't thought through with any consistency of theme or application. 4E completely fixed this and then 5E decided to unfix it again because it's traditional D&D.

At first I thought it was supposed to be a class feature: a caster gets to select a target's AC, or a specific saving throw, depending on what the target is weak against (meanwhile a martial class always has to go through AC, or maybe an opposed skill check), but you're probably right that it's more because some spells used saving throws, some spells used "touch attacks" or checked against AC, other spells "just happened" and then 5E takes a page from more contemporary game design and actually gives casters "at-will" spells and those have to check against AC too and it's all this confusing mishmash because Fireball always has to be a save against half-damage

I'm kind of more annoyed that saving throws are still an inversion of the "attacker rolls against the target's DC" when 4E already fixed that and 3.5 had a variant rule for converting it over.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Amulet of Planes: Make an Intelligence check. On a failure, either restart the campaign or watch your DM get angry.

EDIT: Outside of "FILLER, GOD PLEASE, FILLER," is there a purpose for that chart and the "ONLY TWO LEVERS" thing for the Apparatus? Is there any DM who looks at that and sincerely goes "yes, this is a thing I will be enforcing."

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 13, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Pulsedragon posted:

Yes, me. In AD&D.

We were 13 or 14 years old and it's a magic crab-tank-robot-submarine. Do the math.

e: Because of the way AD&D artifacts work, ours was a magic plane travelling crab-tank-robot-submarine which could shoot fireballs.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 13, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Amulet of Planes: Make an Intelligence check. On a failure, either restart the campaign or watch your DM get angry.
It is also very important that you specifically roll exactly two d10s (and not one d20 or a single d10) to check against the scientifically determined 60-40 chance of lolsorandom.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Holy poo poo they wasted 2/3 of a page on copy and pasting the apparatus chart from the 1e DMG.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Good thing it was in 1e! Hopefully that means some OSR folks could tell me what the ~neutral positions~ on poo poo like lights on/off, windows open/closed, or claws and legs extended/retracted are? What does it all mean? :ohdear:

This is important.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Littlefinger posted:

Good thing it was in 1e! Hopefully that means some OSR folks could tell me what the ~neutral positions~ on poo poo like lights on/off, windows open/closed, or claws and legs extended/retracted are? What does it all mean? :ohdear:

This is important.

It's just so that if you've triggered "legs out", "go forward", "lights on", and "windows open" you can't tell which levers you actually pulled to make that happen or easily reverse what you did.

The whole thing was AD&D as gently caress*.

Player 1: "Go backwards! Go backwards! We're going to run the wizard over!"

Player 2: "Which lever was backwards?"

Player 1: "I don't loving know, Dave has the notes and he's not here this week!"

DM: "Well, which lever are you pulling?"

Player 3: "You'd better not run me over"

Player 2: "Umm.... lever 5?"

DM: "Two claw attacks on the wizard."

Player 3 (deceased): "gently caress you guys."

That's if you didn't completely overlook it in the first place because it's a campaign-shattering artifact that's sitting there looking like a plain old barrel.

*Which is to say, it was fun and all in AD&D at age 13. It doesn't look like much fun now, and I don't know anybody who would want to play in the style where it would be fun any more.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 13, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, thanks, that makes sense -- in a 'well, this item makes no sense' way. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Pulsedragon posted:

Me. I described it as part of a pile of dragon loot just to see if the PCs would do anything interesting with it. The answer: Not really. Also I've had it used by a DM as a link in a chain of fetch-quests.