Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

ethanol posted:

seriously, ubisoft is what the 3rd largest game dev? self proclaimed god of open world games? they deserve no loving slack at all for releasing games in this state time and time again

Isn't it just some of the AC games that are broken? Watch Dogs was an overwhelmingly average game, but other than not being as pretty as at launch, worked fine.

AC4 wasn't exactly well optimized, but outside a handful of goofy bugs worked fine. I knocked a few settings down and had a solid 60fps. Before that

I don't think I've heard anything against any of the FC games on a technical level.

Their poo poo launcher? sure, they deserve everything they get for that one.

They deserve everything you throw at them over this game, but time and again seems... kinda off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually less broken than a loving repackage of 13 year old games so at least they have that going for them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I think it's just this one and 3 that had technical problems at launch. Was something similar about their development, and different than other ACs? More different groups than usual trying to work together, or something like that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I think it's just this one and 3 that had technical problems at launch. Was something similar about their development, and different than other ACs? More different groups than usual trying to work together, or something like that?

New engines.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you didn't have thin skin and put half the posters here on ignore you'd have read that the game has frame rate issues and gameplay on par with Asscreed 1. Its a huge step back from Black Flag.

I like how the game play is like AC1, after that one they made AC2 like a cheap cartoon and the combat in AC3/AC4 have you attacking so fast it doesn't even feel like a fair fight.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Asscreed is a game thats about exploration and quick assassination. It seems like they wanted to do a stealth game that appeals towards everyone but then realized most people are bad at stealth (or they are bad and making stealth games). Either way, I actually prefer the quick battles. Asscreed games can be janky enough, could you imagine how much worse it would be if combat was more difficult.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ubisoft took our requests for more difficult combat and literally poo poo all over us with this combat system they wasted so much time and money hyping up. ugh I feel dirty for ever thinking the combat in AC would be good one day

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I wouldn't mind trying some of the more difficult co op missions tonight on PC if anyone wants to give it a shot while there's still a goon population for this game. Tried to join the uPlay group, but I don't think the group leader has accepted yet, and I'm in the Steam group though this isn't a Steam game for me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know how you make AC combat better other than turning it into Dark Souls.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

I don't know how you make AC combat better other than turning it into Dark Souls.

i think that was what ubisoft was going for but they mistook it when people said that they enjoyed the slower combat to mean that people wanted slower fps

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I really like AC games (more than I reasonably should) and I looked past the issues yesterday, but by now it's pissing me off so much I can't play until they fix this poo poo.

I have to Alt-F4 out of the game after fast travel about half the time because the game gets stuck on the loading screen.
I can't enter 2 districts because the game crashes when I do.
In coop my character gets stuck in the air, requiring fast travel to unstuck, which usually ends with me having to Alt-F4.
The companion app is a piece of poo poo both on the technical and gameplay side (8 hour missions on the first set of non-tutorial missions, full health assassins randomly dying on easy missions).
They keep putting more and more poo poo onto the Uplay servers, who can't even handle the load with the game out in half the world.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Has anyone done the nomad brotherhood stuff in the companion app? I want to try that, but it's grayed out on my phone. Is it like Kenway's Fleet where you have to progress to certain point in the story to unlock it?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Is AC:Rogue exactly the same as Black Flag combat-wise and parkour-wise or has there been changes to either of those systems?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

effervescible posted:

Has anyone done the nomad brotherhood stuff in the companion app? I want to try that, but it's grayed out on my phone. Is it like Kenway's Fleet where you have to progress to certain point in the story to unlock it?

Uplay being down is breaking it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Okay, played Rogue for a good 6-8 hours. First impression is pretty good for a launch day. First off, I didn't preorder it but I did get a 'limited edition'. I don't know what that means, because I didn't ask for a special edition or anything, but apparently I get a code for a free 'level', which for Asscreed, means a 5 minute diversion where I climb something.

So for me, it's a step down graphically because I played Black Flag on my PS4. Also, load times are 100% longer when I switch to the map screen or transition between areas on the world map(there is the North Atlantic and the River Valley, both of which have lots of sailing and small locations like Black Flag). Launch hiccups include several sound bugs, most noticeable when sailing and fighting(sound effects not playing, or playing several seconds late). I haven't found any quest bugs yet, but I'm only at %20 completion. Harpooning is back, as well as New York from AC3. It is prettier but mostly reuses assets from AC3.

There are holdover bugs with free running from AC3 and 4, the annoying 'stop running and move flat against a knee-height surface', 'go into corner peek mode and don't climb anything' and of course 'hop over this tree trunk instead of climbing on top', but seeing as I'm used to these bugs from the past 2 games, I can let it slide. So far I'm having fun.

I ultimately decided to go with Rogue because the engine has been around longer and I thought it would be smarter to wait until several patches for Unity are out. Also I guess chronologically it makes more sense but then again Asscreed has no problem jumping back and forth through time.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Brutakas posted:

Is AC:Rogue exactly the same as Black Flag combat-wise and parkour-wise or has there been changes to either of those systems?
Pretty much exactly the same.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
This game is just a massive 'gently caress you' from Ubisoft to all those people who've been incessantly demanding a French Revolution AC since Brotherhood.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Honestly I'm finding it fun as heck to play. When it's not crashing my drivers, crashing , or hovering between 20 and 30 FPS.

Overlooked my CPU and that helped a ton though.

E: ton in this case meaning "no longer dives to sub 20 quite as regularly".

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Aphrodite posted:

Uplay being down is breaking it.

Well now I feel silly. That was the obvious answer.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This game is just a massive 'gently caress you' from Ubisoft to all those people who've been incessantly demanding a French Revolution AC since Brotherhood.

Generally something like that is intentional. I don't think they intended to release a barely working pile of poo poo that has been so heavily slammed it's not even on the top 10 Steam sellers day after release. Then again they are French.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

im pooping! posted:

Okay, played Rogue for a good 6-8 hours. First impression is pretty good for a launch day. First off, I didn't preorder it but I did get a 'limited edition'. I don't know what that means, because I didn't ask for a special edition or anything, but apparently I get a code for a free 'level', which for Asscreed, means a 5 minute diversion where I climb something.

The "Limited editions" for both Rogue and Unity were pitched as the preorder bonuses, but are actually "first print run" bonuses.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

effervescible posted:

I thought the same, but no: outside of chests, nomad is entirely contained in the app and playable from the start.

To unlock missions you have to select a building in-app and find the glyphs on it. Tap to do a ping, tap the symbols as they appear. Find all the symbols and unlock a mission.

IMHO, Nomads isn't worth the trouble. Unlike Kenway's Fleet, the rewards and gameplay impact to the main game is minimal or nonexistent. The mission timers are so long that when you can unlock something decent, you already have more money or better equipment.

Kenway's fleet only hit 6 hour timers towards the end. I'm at 6 hour timers on the first non-training missions. Ugh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snuffman posted:

I thought the same, but no: outside of chests, nomad is entirely contained in the app and playable from the start.

It's broken for some people and you don't get any Assassins in it, so you can't advance further than the first puzzle.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

That would be terrible.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm pretty stoked about the variety of weapons in Unity, I do wish they'd added a "short weapons" category though, the daggers were some of the most fun weapons in the old games. Has anyone noticed yet how much the animation sets differ between edged weapons and blunt weapons? Also what does the "non lethal" tag on all the blunt weapons actually mean? Cos that morning star sure as gently caress doesn't look "non lethal" :black101:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Abu Dave posted:

Shadow of Mordor

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AC:U's combat isn't really harder, it's just slower and more boring. Maybe it gets more exciting later on but it's just so crazy slow paced and kind of awkward.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shadows of Mordor is good for what it does, but I don't think having a assassin being able to kill 30 guys at once is very fun, but I know that's my opinion that isn't shared. i rather see it take work to kill enemies instead of playing Simon Says

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Abu Dave posted:

Shadows of Mordor is good for what it does, but I don't think having a assassin being able to kill 30 guys at once is very fun, but I know that's my opinion that isn't shared. i rather see it take work to kill enemies instead of playing Simon Says

Nah its still shadow of mordor. Replace the insta kills with escape tools.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I can't seem to get the second murder mystery mission to show up - I'll talk to the dude in jail and he'll hint towards something, but nothing shows up on the map. Am I missing something, or is this something else that's broken?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

AC:U's combat isn't really harder, it's just slower and more boring. Maybe it gets more exciting later on but it's just so crazy slow paced and kind of awkward.

If the random 5 diamond dudes you find on the street are any indication, they just get more health.

It's pretty funny to jump from the starting weapon to an upgraded 5-diamond sword. Most combat is over in seconds. (Turns out you can do all the passive money improving missions, including the 5-diamond one at the end in starting gear, assassinates are always instant kills)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

OxMan posted:

Nah its still shadow of mordor. Replace the insta kills with escape tools.

Eh, I found Shadow of Mordor's combat system to be one of the weakest points of the game. It was far too easy, and without the brutal beheadings/finishers and special captains showing up I don't think it would be very fun.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is this 'kill the criminal' side mission popping up literally every few minutes for everybody? It's really getting on my nerves. how many purse snatchers are there in this idiotic city

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
These issues are really starting to loving get to me, I have to say. I can't play co-op because enemies appear and lag out of nowhere and spot/kill me, and I can't even fight them off because between the horrific network lag and the framerate lag I can't even REACT to them so I pretty much just stand still until they kill me. Also I had the Edward Kenway outfit, but then I took it off, and now I don't have it anymore? Just tells me to play AC Initiates.

Goddamn, Ubisoft. Get your poo poo together.

Didn't have buyer's remorse yesterday but now it's slowly beginning to creep in.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
I'd like to see more funny screenshots like in the OP

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Daily Forecast posted:

These issues are really starting to loving get to me, I have to say. I can't play co-op because enemies appear and lag out of nowhere and spot/kill me, and I can't even fight them off because between the horrific network lag and the framerate lag I can't even REACT to them so I pretty much just stand still until they kill me. Also I had the Edward Kenway outfit, but then I took it off, and now I don't have it anymore? Just tells me to play AC Initiates.

Goddamn, Ubisoft. Get your poo poo together.

Didn't have buyer's remorse yesterday but now it's slowly beginning to creep in.

For me the first ~6 hours were fine, ~~it's a new assassins creed that looks amazing~~ even though performance was iffy. I ended up using that nividia guide and pretty much turned everything to low on my 770 to get a decent fps, but after 7 hours the bugs and just overall unpolishedness of this game really bothers me. I'm waiting for a patch (lol).

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
If AC combat would be even a bit better, this would be my favorite game series, but it just gets so repetitive so fast. Black Flag was just amazing for the first 10 hours, I don't remember when I've enjoyed a game so immensely, but after that you realized how shallow almost all the game types and aspects are, which made everything pretty boring. I'd rather have more depth and only a couple of game aspects, like just freerunning around and stabbing dudes, rather than having all that other crap that is super simplified.

Black Flag was almost like a bunch of underdeveloped or even mobile games put in the same arena so it would "seamlessly" change from one to another. Looks great and pretty but it doesn't take long to hit the bottom of it all.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Broken Cog posted:

Eh, I found Shadow of Mordor's combat system to be one of the weakest points of the game. It was far too easy, and without the brutal beheadings/finishers and special captains showing up I don't think it would be very fun.

Were we playing the same game? Easy at the end sure, but holy crap, that game had a lot of options at any given point while in combat,(sword, bow/shadowstrike, execute, brand, shotgun stun, jump over and its followup, mass stun and its other combo I never used, enviromental poo poo) gave you multiple choices for engagement, had you manipulate target bodyguards, all the different weaknesses/strengths of the targets you would have options and reasons to both use or not use.

The combat was arkham on crack and for me like the second highlight of the game next to the nemesis system and how stable and non buggy it was. On that note, can't wait for Unity to arrive from Gamefly today. :v: Mordor had no story and the platforming was kinda trash like how that guy earlier was describing buggy poo poo in Rogue. And there was exactly 1 tower model. I'm hoping Unitys improved(?) navigating controls, enviroments and story will frankenstein a complete experience.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Poetic Justice posted:

I've put about 7 hours into this game, 3 of them may have been loading screens, but besides that I'm pretty happy with it. Getting 20-30fps I think, I haven't checked but honestly I prefer that, it is much more cinematic than something like 60fps would be. I couldn't stand the Hobbit. Anyway, I bought the 99$ helix credit microtransaction to reward them for all the hard work they have put into this obviously next generation title.

I don't think anyone is making a stink that this is not 60fps. A CONSISTENT framerate (and not a super low one) would be fine. There is zero benefit to the player for having 500 (poorly) modeled NPC's in a town square. Those guys exist merely so that Ubi can tout, on paper, how next-genny their game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Poetic Justice posted:

but after 7 hours the bugs and just overall unpolishedness of this game really bothers me. I'm waiting for a patch (lol).

Kind of where I'm at. I think I'm gonna put this down until they can unfuck their poo poo enough to make this even playable. I can tell the game itself would be really good if it just, like, actually worked. :(

Time to go play more Borderlands I guess.

• Locked thread