Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BlackFrost posted:

Is there some weird way to unlock The Cellar or something? I unlocked all of the alternate floors like ages ago but for some reason The Cellar still hasn't unlocked at all.

Don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Red Mega Fatty: all quick jumps, all the time.

Then you kite him like you would Satan's legs. Easy peasy.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

BlackFrost posted:

Is there some weird way to unlock The Cellar or something? I unlocked all of the alternate floors like ages ago but for some reason The Cellar still hasn't unlocked at all.

I unlocked the Cellar randomly during the Boss Rush. I have no idea what I did. I guess if it's killing little Gemini first, that makes sense.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Make sure to get the alternate versions because they have better music. Hope you like spiders and ghosts! And spiders!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I finally had a good reason to pick up bob's brain and not regret it! having Pyromaniac

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Color Printer posted:

EDIT: Wow, I must have started out with gently caress all for luck, cause barely any soul hearts are dropping, and I got almost no heart container pickups either. I actually picked up the dead cat in the womb because this run literally can't go any worse.
Honestly, Guppy Mode is still just as broken this game as it was in the original; it can turn any mediocre/failing run into a win so easily. Saved a Lazarus run of mine earlier where I was so starved for keys I had to pass up treasure rooms, until I got Guppy's Tail in a devil room deal and beat Ultra Pride (gently caress his near-hitscan green vomit attack) for the Left Hand and the rest was gravy. Added in Hive Mind for extra hilarity as well.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
Wow. I finished a Chest and Dark Room run this morning, each one almost ruined by a surprisingly lovely combination of tear abilities that I thought would be good...

Run 1: Ludovico + Spoonbender. Started with Judas, and got Ludo. Things went really well. Didn't recognize the spoon. What an awful loving combination. Ludo tries to home in on the weirdest poo poo, and my Shot Speed was so slow that I couldn't regain control. Mom took over 10 minutes because I couldn't detach Ludo from one of the doors, and Mom's attacks were solely the foot stomp - never spawned any enemies. Up until the Chest I had literally zero Damage, Speed, Shot Speed, or Luck upgrades. One room away from Blue Baby, I died, and was resurrected by Judas' Shadow. With the damage from that I was able to kill Blue Baby to finish of my Judas unlocks with just one heart. What a loving rush.

Run 2: Death's Scythe + Mega Tears + Anti Gravity. Run started well with Samson and a Scythe on Floor 1. Mega Tears on Floor 2. Anti Gravity almost hosed it. Since the tears disappear so quickly, Anti Gravity required I repeatedly tap the fire buttons to actually kill things. Run went smoothly otherwise, but goddamn, gently caress you anti-gravity.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
It might just be me, but the game sort of loses coherence after enough hours with all the stuff that keeps piling in. If they do put together an expansion I hope they add depth to the game instead of breadth. I'm really just thinking that some more roguelike like elements like B/U/C status or wishing or being able to navigate back to higher floors would multiply the complexity of the game, rather than hoping that expanding the item list by 2x again will make the game longer.

I say this as one of the many who have lost way too many hours since last Tuesday and hope to eventually bring my game to 100%, even though it's starting to feel like a start scumming fest trying to bring some of these characters to MegaSatan.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So yeah, Rubber Cement + Spoonbender is pretty loving good - your tears basically swarm enemies and damage them multiple times each. Add in the Lost Contact and they basically cant fire projectiles either :)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

KidDynamite posted:

So uh you dudes should watch this it's insane. http://www.twitch.tv/richard_hammer

Edit:

Seriously though what is he even doing in this run? It looks like he's hitting certain button combinations, as if they're macros, then he'll suddenly take a little bit of damage and poo poo out a treasure chest and reset his D20 at the same time. Then I skip ahead and there's the screen-filling tears and a conga line of baby followers. I'm going to assume he's just cheating/hacking some variable in the game, which isn't that impressive but it's at least funny to watch.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
So do you all just immediately sever a run if you don't get a good damage up item in the first two levels? The starting damage is still entirely too low for it to be worth your time otherwise, at least in my opinion.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Stokes posted:

So do you all just immediately sever a run if you don't get a good damage up item in the first two levels? The starting damage is still entirely too low for it to be worth your time otherwise, at least in my opinion.

I usually give it till floor 3 unless I really feel like suffering for an entire run.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Seriously though what is he even doing in this run? It looks like he's hitting certain button combinations, as if they're macros, then he'll suddenly take a little bit of damage and poo poo out a treasure chest and reset his D20 at the same time. Then I skip ahead and there's the screen-filling tears and a conga line of baby followers. I'm going to assume he's just cheating/hacking some variable in the game, which isn't that impressive but it's at least funny to watch.
No, it's all legitimate. The instant recharge comes from the Sharp Plug, an interesting item that lets you charge an empty item at the cost of health by pressing spacebar. Conveniently this damage also triggers a bunch of items (such as Gimpy, Piggy Bank and Satchel, I'm not sure exactly what he had this run) which cause pickups to spawn. These pickups can then be rerolled into chests (which, due to it being in Chest, always give you items) using the now charged D20.

e: He might also be using Contract from Below to get double pickups? Not sure if that works with the on-damage items.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 12, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Stokes posted:

Depends what items I get. If I'm getting no damage or tears or anything by floor three but I find dead cat or a 1up or something I'll stick with it in the hopes of getting a devil room with good deals I can trade the lives for.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's pretty rare that I'll wipe a run because all it really takes is getting one or two lucky item drops for a run to be redeemed.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Pixeltendo posted:

The four horsemen horses
Rare drops of each horse, they all grant flight.

Famimes Horse - summons flies upon use
Pestilence - several ipeac bombs
Deaths - scythes that home in on enemies
War - bombs that home in.

This would make attaining Meat Boy/Bandage Girl somewhat harder, good job. :downsbravo:

You know what'd be cool? If all of the items in the game were put into tiers, not with a Special Item-esque mechanic that makes you metagame when picking up any given item, but with a Luck-based mechanic where a higher Luck stat makes you more likely to get better items.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

I will only restart a run if I get something truly garbage in the first treasure room, like My Reflection. It's not even that I think the run can't be redeemed, it's just oh gently caress that.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Holy poo poo Azazel.

Get wrecked, Satan. Seriously, he died in like, one minute.

How is it possible that I was so poo poo at the original and yet I'm not that bad at Rebirth?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Toiwat posted:

How is it possible that I was so poo poo at the original and yet I'm not that bad at Rebirth?

I'm in a similar boat. I was pretty bad at the original but I can get nearly consistent wins now. I think it's that Normal is a bit easier and it also helps that the game doesn't run like dogshit anymore either.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I think a lot of it is definitely that things move at a set speed instead of randomly chugging so you get used to the dodging timing a lot better than the original. I do also think that unless you're playing hard mode the game is somewhat easier.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Toiwat posted:

Holy poo poo Azazel.

Get wrecked, Satan. Seriously, he died in like, one minute.

I don't want to poo poo on your achievement or anything but if you are playing azazel on normal, you are playing baby mode.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I have every challenge done, except Glass Cannon, because Loki's Horns won't unlock for some reason :argh:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've had some pretty overpowered runs, but I just had my first "boss melter" run with Azazel and Tammy's Head. Mom's Heart died before the eyes could get a shot off. Made it to the Cathedral for the first time and beat Isaac in ~4 hits. I'm taking a break from Azazel for a while though; he's a lot of fun, but I'm definitely screwing myself over not learning the fundamentals of the game.

Mark me down as another who was complete poo poo at the first game and doing a lot better in this one. I played about 10 hours of the original over the course of a year, but I could never get over the inconstant movement speed and hated the keyboard controls. I don't think I ever got past the caves.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

Novasol posted:

I have every challenge done, except Glass Cannon, because Loki's Horns won't unlock for some reason :argh:

You've super duper definitely done challenge #19? It's required for Challenge #11.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Leyburn posted:

How the gently caress is cross save meant to work? I hit the sync button on my PS4 and it gave me the option to upload or download my data, so I uploaded it. Then later on I hit the sync button my vita and it doesn't give me any option at all, it just says Okay and fails to download my save.
You need to update your Vita version to 1.01.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stokes posted:

Basically. Thankfully, damage up items are way, way more prevalent in Rebirth than WotL. Even Cat O Nine Tails has it now.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

jsr v2.0 posted:

You've super duper definitely done challenge #19? It's required for Challenge #11.

:arghfist::smith:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I never give up a run due to bad drops, and usually i can take it to the hole. If you can dodge, and have don't mind long boss fights. there don't seem to be many no win situations.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Stokes posted:

Not the first two floors but if the game fucks me over with bad items, bad pills and bad drops, I'll abandon at the end of the caves/catacombs. I think I said this earlier, but if the game is going to gently caress me, then I'll gently caress it back by just restarting and see if I get something great early on. Luckily, the game is pretty good in this regard. I don't restart much. You can make things work if you know the little tricks

Ghost Head fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 12, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The key to the purist challenge is the second floor. Picking up a soul heart on floor one is vital, to avoid taking any red heart damage on the second floor and getting the highest possible chance of a devil room. At least one of the first three treasures (First boss, Second boss, Devil Room Item) should be something that upgrades your combat ability. If you're still shooting regular tears with initial strength by the cave you need to reset.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The key to the purist challenge is the second floor. Picking up a soul heart on floor one is vital, to avoid taking any red heart damage on the second floor and getting the highest possible chance of a devil room. At least one of the first three treasures (First boss, Second boss, Devil Room Item) should be something that upgrades your combat ability. If you're still shooting regular tears with initial strength by the cave you need to reset.

Alternatively, 15 coins and a red candle from the shop will do the job as well and is probably a bit more reliable/easy to get.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Well that's an interesting bug:
Playing Judas, first floor, treasure room connected to spawn, has Technology 2. First boss room I pop my Belial and now I'm shooting both Technology *and* big tears.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So is there any way to get a level 4 meat boy beyond a ridiculous amount of luck?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Ghost Head posted:

I don't want to poo poo on your achievement or anything but if you are playing azazel on normal, you are playing baby mode.

Yeah that's partly totally what I meant to imply, Azazel is stupidly powerful. Simply starting out with flying is a total game changer.

On another note, what's the Stats -> Items screen supposed to do? Just show pretty pictures?

EDIT: The game got it's revenge on the next run: a grand total of 1 key and 1 bomb drop, every other drop or chest inaccessible, and barely any heart pickup. :v:

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 12, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

pumpinglemma posted:

So is there any way to get a level 4 meat boy beyond a ridiculous amount of luck?
Book of Revelation early on and loads of luck.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.

Toiwat posted:

Yeah that's partly what I meant to imply, Azazel is stupidly powerful. Simply starting out with flying is a total game changer.

On another note, what's the Stats -> Items screen supposed to do? Just show pretty pictures?

It tells you what items you have found, and therefore shows how many you haven't found.

Finding all of them is one of the requirements for platinum god.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ghost Head posted:

Not really. The Brimstone and flight are nice, but unless you get Dark Bum the very limited health mostly balances that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Not really. The Brimstone and flight are nice, but unless you get Dark Bum the very limited health mostly balances that.

I can readily clear Satan without picking up any items with Azazel. Like no problem, just shitstomp my way through the entire game without any upgrades. It's not even hard, he's ridiculously good.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

pumpinglemma posted:

Restart until you get the book of revelations as your first item. Then get lucky.

e: Oops should've refreshed first.

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Magres posted:

I can readily clear Satan without picking up any items with Azazel. Like no problem, just shitstomp my way through the entire game without any upgrades. It's not even hard, he's ridiculously good.

I disagree. He's the one character I haven't beaten Mom's Heart with yet (aside from the super tough ones like the the lost or blue baby, of course).