Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I said I liked the episode too. v:shobon:V

Forgive me for believing otherwise when your posts are 90% "This show is bad because x, y, z." and 10% "But don't worry, I "liked" it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice posted:

Heck, this brings me to another thing I've been thinking about; the choreography and animation quality in general look like a step down from the first season.

I even looked at some of the fights from the early episodes to refresh my memory and it seemed like season 1 was definitely consistently better in that regard. 6 episodes in to the first season, we had the Yuuki rematch which everyone loved because it was like the sort of battle you'd normally see at the end of a show.

Even the other fights were all pretty distinct, but here it feels rather same-y; the first part of the science team fight was unique but then they resolve it by doing the same thing they've been doing every week, except with a different powerup this time.

Heck, I remembered the character animation being better in the first season but it was much better than what I thought it was like.

I'm not sure if I was just seeing things, but most of this episode seemed rather off-model for the characters, significantly more than in prior episodes. Lots of poorly drawn angles and changing proportions and there was something wrong with Fumina's face.

Also I have to agree that Fumina seems like a missed note. Though that's kinda how I'm feeling about the entire cast. They have these potentially interesting characters, but have managed to fall flat with a lot of the character development. It seems like the primary cast of three is working to a disadvantage, as episodes that could work well for building a specific character, or even two, are divided between the cast so everyone has substantial screentime. An episode that was entirely about Fumina's and Sakai's date, for example, could have been interesting, and could've been a stronger version of the Aila/Reiji learning to build gunpla bit in the first season. But instead they divided it into a various different subplots.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Fact that Fumina's actually kinda using the Winning to force Sekai and Yuuma to cooperate better implies she knows their greatest weakness; Sekai and Yuuma don't exactly think like a team yet. Sekai was basically a sitting duck for half the episode, Yuuma was being a bit too cautious after the communications went down. Hell, her showing the Winning Road the night before was probably because she saw the potential for such issues ahead of time. She then single-handedly turned the tide of battle and still managed to shoot down a fully equipped opponent with what amounts to a Core Booster. Give her a little credit, folks. :colbert:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That was actually one of the things BFS1 did right is that the early part of the Big Tournament was point-based rather than elimination so losses (or ties) could happen without being an instant disqualification. It also hurt the second half though where we knew Sei and Reiji were going to win every single fight up until the finals, and the lineup of the matches made it super-obvious who was going to win every one.

I think that's going to really bite BF Try in the rear end because of the way it's setup.

Not just single elimination, but also because Sekai's Gundam is special so he's not going to casually take a lot of damage in a fight, because nobody would be able to fix it. Whenever that happens, it will be a big, important thing and probably won't happen often.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

Fact that Fumina's actually kinda using the Winning to force Sekai and Yuuma to cooperate better implies she knows their greatest weakness; Sekai and Yuuma don't exactly think like a team yet. Sekai was basically a sitting duck for half the episode, Yuuma was being a bit too cautious after the communications went down. Hell, her showing the Winning Road the night before was probably because she saw the potential for such issues ahead of time. She then single-handedly turned the tide of battle and still managed to shoot down a fully equipped opponent with what amounts to a Core Booster. Give her a little credit, folks. :colbert:

I don't see how she turned the tide of the battle when Yuuma wasted one opponent effortlessly and Sekai was using plot armaments.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Forgive me for believing otherwise when your posts are 90% "This show is bad because x, y, z." and 10% "But don't worry, I "liked" it."

Are you seriously never critical of something you enjoy?

I liked the EZ-8 guys this episode (as, again, I said in my post) and thought they were a cool team with a fun battling style, if little in the way of personality. I thought the fight was mostly good and it was cool to see an enemy team using strategy and tactics while piloting grunt suits. I enjoyed the soundtrack and felt it was well-used. Yuuma may not do much but his constant bitter snarky asides to Sekai crack me up, and I like Fumina as a character if not her role in battle.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Ultimately the entire message of this episode is confused. Fumina pulled off something great here, but it wasn't 'forcing cooperation' or whatever. It was to boost their performance high enough to compensate for their utter lack of teamwork. Then they get to high five each other and smile while she silently screams at the two knuckleheads.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm not sure if I was just seeing things, but most of this episode seemed rather off-model for the characters, significantly more than in prior episodes. Lots of poorly drawn angles and changing proportions and there was something wrong with Fumina's face.

Also I have to agree that Fumina seems like a missed note. Though that's kinda how I'm feeling about the entire cast. They have these potentially interesting characters, but have managed to fall flat with a lot of the character development. It seems like the primary cast of three is working to a disadvantage, as episodes that could work well for building a specific character, or even two, are divided between the cast so everyone has substantial screentime. An episode that was entirely about Fumina's and Sakai's date, for example, could have been interesting, and could've been a stronger version of the Aila/Reiji learning to build gunpla bit in the first season. But instead they divided it into a various different subplots.

If you're seeing things then I'm seeing them too! I didn't take any shots from this week's episode but here's a questionable shot from last week where her face is all messed up.

(Bonus: Check out Yuu's phone, which is apparently a one-sided holographic display)

Really agreeing on the cast there, I think what really worked with the first season's cast was that they took a page from a lot of sports anime and had a highly diverse cast. Even if they didn't go too deeply into most of them, they were all distinctly different characters. It's strange, there are fewer characters here but they don't like to focus on any one person for an episode.

Plus they're making the show a bit more serious but I think in doing so they forgot a lot of what make the first season's characters work. Like, Yuu's angst for instance would be over in a single episode in the original, Reiji would just yell at him to stop being so dumb, to quit making a big deal out of losing one time and just focus on winning the next time. Instead it's supposed to be his big character arc and that's just bleh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

(Bonus: Check out Yuu's phone, which is apparently a one-sided holographic display)

That's an actual kind of phone they have in Japan. I'm not sure of the name it has but I've seen them a few times. It ran rotate to be portrait or landscape like a weird smartphone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hah. And here I thought they were just too lazy to draw whatever he was looking at! Neat.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

nuru posted:

I don't see how she turned the tide of the battle when Yuuma wasted one opponent effortlessly and Sekai was using plot armaments.

How... do you not? Yuuma and Sekai were doing jack poo poo before she threw the gimmicks at them.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

How... do you not? Yuuma and Sekai were doing jack poo poo before she threw the gimmicks at them.

I think we are talking about different episodes now! I didn't see the sub go up yet for 6 when I made the last post, but now I do.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I think the best part of Wednesdays is waking up to see how awful this loving thread is.

The episode was okay.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm curious as to just how versatile the Winning Gundam is in terms of its ability to dock with the Build Burning and the Lightning. Yeah, we saw the sniper rifle extensions for Yuuma and the Winning Knuckle for Sekai, but is there more to it than that?

Also, I think that it's entirely possible that if any of the three is going to be seriously damaged during a fight, it's probably going to be Fumina, simply by virtue of her model being able to separate into a bunch of little bits and recombine. Ask any engineer, and they'll tell you that the more moving parts a thing has, the more ways there are for it to get broken. Since it's designed to come apart on command, that means it's probably relatively fragile compared to the Lightning or the Build Burning. (Though that said, it was pretty sweet that she was able to use the separation gimmick to dodge what could have been a kill shot.)

Not to mention the possibility of an opponent being canny enough to bait the team into using the Winning Road, then shooting down or otherwise disabling the parts before they can successfully dock. It only worked in this episode because SRSC wasn't expecting it (and even then, they still managed to shoot down at least one of the parts before it could reach Yuuma). But now it's a known quantity, meaning they can't catch anyone off-guard with it again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrifeHira posted:

I think they mean that they're not clear how the gimmicks won the battle. Yuuma could snipe slightly further than before and with a bigger shinier beam so that at least made sense ("I'm out of range!" "No you're not!") Sekai won because he... could punch harder? I'm probably misremembering something for Sekai. I think you can make an argument she forced Yuuma to move to get the Lightning Gundam part and understood that would force him out of his instinctive inaction.

Edit: Oh, or they were just thinking of the wrong episode.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So after hearing a lot of people talk about how this show's been so boring and bad w/r/t fights compared to the first season I went back and rewatched most of season 1.

Aaaaaand they're mostly the same? Minus the Yuuki and Fellini fights the show is most budget as all hell. Say what you will about the kid, at least Sekai's punch gimmicks can be flashy and fun (The Tornado, the exploding out of a Dom, the 'running' in space.) where as Reiji and Sei kind of just screamed "RG system!" then punched guys, Which is kind of extra weird because they game the Build Strike a really interesting subsytem and gimmick with the absorbing shield and release mechanisms, but then they basically wrote it out of the story by having them use it early so every enemy basically just didn't let them use it so we got stuck with the Build Strikes lame RG system gimmick.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

Sekai won because he... could punch harder? I'm probably misremembering something for Sekai. I think you can make an argument she forced Yuuma to move to get the Lightning Gundam part and understood that would force him out of his instinctive inaction.

I think we may be expected to assume the shock attack (if that's what happened) thing that kind of stopped Sekai before was nullified by having the extra hand covering his own or something. ...may have to watch it again.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really don't see how the point system in s1 made the fights have any more tension since, well they won nearly every time. They only lost a race.
Really they only "lost" twice, against Yuuki in the second and sixth episode, though that loss happened off screen.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Sekai won because he... could punch harder? I'm probably misremembering something for Sekai.

I think the Winning Knuckle amplified the force of his punches, yeah. It's what allowed his technique (Dangan Hagan-ken; Bullet (something) Punch?) to generate enough force to clear away the jamming bits and then overpower the Ez-SR Intruder's electric gauntlet thing.

John Carstairs posted:

I think we may be expected to assume the shock attack (if that's what happened) thing that kind of stopped Sekai before was nullified by having the extra hand covering his own or something. ...may have to watch it again.

That, too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm curious as to just how versatile the Winning Gundam is in terms of its ability to dock with the Build Burning and the Lightning. Yeah, we saw the sniper rifle extensions for Yuuma and the Winning Knuckle for Sekai, but is there more to it than that?

Also, I think that it's entirely possible that if any of the three is going to be seriously damaged during a fight, it's probably going to be Fumina, simply by virtue of her model being able to separate into a bunch of little bits and recombine. Ask any engineer, and they'll tell you that the more moving parts a thing has, the more ways there are for it to get broken. Since it's designed to come apart on command, that means it's probably relatively fragile compared to the Lightning or the Build Burning. (Though that said, it was pretty sweet that she was able to use the separation gimmick to dodge what could have been a kill shot.)

Not to mention the possibility of an opponent being canny enough to bait the team into using the Winning Road, then shooting down or otherwise disabling the parts before they can successfully dock. It only worked in this episode because SRSC wasn't expecting it (and even then, they still managed to shoot down at least one of the parts before it could reach Yuuma). But now it's a known quantity, meaning they can't catch anyone off-guard with it again.

The Burning has a backpack slot thats currently doing nothing, Im assuming that fumina could probably make it so the wining could dock there for something. But thats probably going to be involved in a mid season upgrade.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The Burning has a backpack slot thats currently doing nothing

Aren't those its plavsky particle thurster ports?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its a backpack, you can hook things to it. Like normally in the show it would be where the fire comes out but its not being used right now.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Possibly, but on the real-life model kit, they also allow it a surprising degree of compatibility with other suits' backpack parts. Not only that, but the real-life model kit's instructions note that the original model that the Build Burning Gundam is based off of is the Build Strike Gundam, customized to be used as a close combat-type suit like the God or Master Gundams. Logically, if it's a (Build) Strike derivative, it should have some kind of Striker pack or other booster... but it doesn't.

It's really been bugging me. Both Ral and Yuuma mentioned that the Build Burning Gundam that Sekai is using is apparently an upgraded version of the one Sei used in the 11th World Tournament... but if it is an upgrade, what is it specifically that's different about Sei's version? And why would Sei build a Strike derivative that doesn't include some kind of back unit?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So after hearing a lot of people talk about how this show's been so boring and bad w/r/t fights compared to the first season I went back and rewatched most of season 1.

Aaaaaand they're mostly the same? Minus the Yuuki and Fellini fights the show is most budget as all hell. Say what you will about the kid, at least Sekai's punch gimmicks can be flashy and fun (The Tornado, the exploding out of a Dom, the 'running' in space.) where as Reiji and Sei kind of just screamed "RG system!" then punched guys, Which is kind of extra weird because they game the Build Strike a really interesting subsytem and gimmick with the absorbing shield and release mechanisms, but then they basically wrote it out of the story by having them use it early so every enemy basically just didn't let them use it so we got stuck with the Build Strikes lame RG system gimmick.

I generally disagree. The later-series fights were lamer due to RG System but the earlier seasons fights tended to be more dynamic and back-and-forth. Even the fight against the Sumo in Episode 2 felt a bit more energetic and better choreographed.

Monaghan posted:

I really don't see how the point system in s1 made the fights have any more tension since, well they won nearly every time. They only lost a race.
Really they only "lost" twice, against Yuuki in the second and sixth episode, though that loss happened off screen.

Because a points system meant they could lose once. Yeah, once they lost, it was obvious Fellini wasn't going to take them out but prior to that it meant every fight could be The One They Lose.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Because a points system meant they could lose once. Yeah, once they lost, it was obvious Fellini wasn't going to take them out but prior to that it meant every fight could be The One They Lose.
That was for the world tournament. Even the nationals used a typical bracket system with the only real curve ball being them having to fight Yuki before the finals. Which resolved itself with the Meijin thing. With no real tension left, the finals was literally a joke fight.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I enjoyed the episode, even if I feel like it sort of missed the mark insofar as trying to make the Try Fighters work as a team. :shobon:

As an aside, ImpAtom (I am sorry because I'm singling you out, and am about to strawman you a little bit) et al., I think a lot of complaints about criticisms of the show are that everyone knows it's flawed, and probably not as good as the first season thusfar, but are trying their best do enjoy it anyway, and pointing out so many of the little issues it has can make that hard.

The fallout of this episode has a tiny bit of potential to be interesting. One of the Winning's limbs(?) got shot down, so maybe that will play a small part. I don't have my hopes very high for that being the focus of the episode, but there might be a little thing with Sekai realizing that these things can break when they belong to the team.

I'm not really inspired by the post-credits bit with the transfer student, but it seems like next episode should introduce a pretty interesting guy (and a Destiny!) who will hopefully engage Sekai in a more interesting way than Yuuma does.

I do wonder if dividing the budget by three is making the show suffer in terms of characterization and cool things happening, but that'll only really be cemented or cleared up further into the series. The "wait and see" idea is wearing a little thing, but I am patient.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

W.T. Fits posted:

And why would Sei build a Strike derivative that doesn't include some kind of back unit?

Well, it's not the only Gundam without a backpack:

[cue dramatic music]

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

W.T. Fits posted:

Possibly, but on the real-life model kit, they also allow it a surprising degree of compatibility with other suits' backpack parts.

Yeah, I skimmed through the fights of the earlier episodes and it seems... conflicting. In the match against Gyanko they glow, but in the previous episode the booster seems to be that recessed area below the two ports.

Sei and Plavsky Particles. (or just animators) :shrug:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

John Carstairs posted:

Well, it's not the only Gundam without a backpack:

[cue dramatic music]

The Turn A Gundam isn't a Strike derivative, though. So it not having a backpack is irrelevant to the point I was making.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zwingley posted:

As an aside, ImpAtom (I am sorry because I'm singling you out, and am about to strawman you a little bit) et al., I think a lot of complaints about criticisms of the show are that everyone knows it's flawed, and probably not as good as the first season thusfar, but are trying their best do enjoy it anyway, and pointing out so many of the little issues it has can make that hard.

Man, if someone merely bringing up stuff like that can ruin someone's enjoyment then they shouldn't seek out discussion in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zwingley posted:

Well, that's fair. I'm not here to harp on anyone's time. I just generally enjoy discussing flaws and sometimes I end up thinking of them differently after discussing them. The G-Reco thread has a lot of complaints about the show (many of them my own) but people have made posts which actually made me reconsider some things I'd disliked. If it's really not welcome I'll try to tone it back and I apologize.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Srice posted:

Man, if someone merely bringing up stuff like that can ruin someone's enjoyment then they shouldn't seek out discussion in the first place.

This is a totally fair response and I definitely don't have an equally fair reply. :shrug:

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that's fair. I'm not here to harp on anyone's time. I just generally enjoy discussing flaws and sometimes I end up thinking of them differently after discussing them. The G-Reco thread has a lot of complaints about the show (many of them my own) but people have made posts which actually made me reconsider some things I'd disliked. If it's really not welcome I'll try to tone it back and I apologize.

I like the points you bring up, honestly. You make me think about the show in a way I ordinarily absolutely wouldn't (I just want to see robots punch one another.) :shobon: I was really just musing about the reactions you tend to get and trying to figure them out for myself.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

W.T. Fits posted:

The Turn A Gundam isn't a Strike derivative, though. So it not having a backpack is irrelevant to the point I was making.

That was just a dumb joke. It really doesn't seem to have included a whole lot of Strike though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Srice posted:

It's less bringing it up and more never shutting up about it and then quickly adding "but I like it!" at the end.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

It's less bringing it up and more never shutting up about it and then quickly adding "but I like it!" at the end.

Actually, discussing why something works or doesn't work for you is cool and I encourage it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I... commented on the new episode and then responded to people responding to my comments.

Like, again, what are you arguing, that I'm sitting here, fingers steepled, going "I can't wait to go into the BF Try thread and talk about how much I HATE IT while pretending to actually like it!" I even responded to someone else said specifically what I liked about this episode. I'm not shy about saying what Gundam shows I do and don't like!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 12, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

John Carstairs posted:

It really doesn't seem to have included a whole lot of Strike though.

Yeah, no argument here. I'm basically just going by the pictures, myself, since I can't actually read Japanese. And it assumes that the fluff in the instructions is actually canon to whatever's in the show, which can be stretching it a bit for some people. I didn't even really see much of the Strike influence in the Build Burning's design until the model kit pointed out that the Build Strike is supposed to be the unit it's based off of, and even then I kinda have to squint to see it, so to speak. :shrug:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I... commented on the new episode and then responded to people responding to my comments.

Like, again, what are you arguing, that I'm sitting here, fingers steepled, going "I can't wait to go into the BF Try thread and talk about how much I HATE IT while pretending to actually like it!" I even responded to someone else said specifically what I liked about this episode. I'm not shy about saying what Gundam shows I do and don't like!

This is the impression you give off because you absolutely never stop bitching about the same old poo poo over and over again that everyone else got tired of reading ages ago. You post a shitload of complaints, then add a "Oh, I liked this episode!" almost as a qualifier and then play victim when people ignore the one positive sentence for the 99 that are bitching and moaning.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Srice posted:

Actually, discussing why something works or doesn't work for you is cool and I encourage it.

Man good thing I never said "don't talk about things", huh?

Perhaps, at a certain point, if a show isn't working for someone, they should stop watching that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Impatom backs up the things he says instead of just bitching (I wouldn't even call it bitching since he explains why), so I can appreciate that. I enjoy hearing what he has to say and he doesn't drown the thread in it, he responds to people that engage him.

Heck, I think it's a pretty lovely thing to accuse someone of being insincere when they say they like the show despite its flaws!

Man good thing I never said "don't talk about things", huh?

Perhaps, at a certain point, if a show isn't working for someone, they should stop watching that show.

He has said that despite the flaws he still likes some parts of it, though?

I know this is the internet and all but it's possible to hold an opinion that's somewhere between "best thing ever" and" worst thing ever".

• Locked thread