Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Srice posted:

Heck, I think it's a pretty lovely thing to accuse someone of being insincere when they say they like the show despite its flaws!

Heck I'm starting to think you're illiterate with how you keep thinking people are saying things they aren't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I don't always agree with Imp Atom's criticisms of the show, but I don't doubt that he actually does enjoy watching it. Hell, if he didn't like it, why would he bother to keep subjecting himself to something he hates?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

Heck I'm starting to think you're illiterate with how you keep thinking people are saying things they aren't!

Bwuh?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nobody's accusing anyone of being insincere you dipshit, they're saying that going "but I like it!" real quick at the end of a bunch of complaints and then going "b-b-but I said I liked it!" is some dumb poo poo.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh hey 120 posts, did everyone else enjoy the epi- oh.

Anyways, cameos! I'm not actually sure if the tutorial video counts as a battle but gently caress it, I put the time into this already.

quote:

RX-78-2 Gundam (MSG)
RX-77-2 Guncannon (MSG)
RX-76-4 Guntank (MSG)
FF-X7-Bst Core Booster (MSG)
LM312V04 Victory Gundam (V)
V Top Fighter (V)
V Core Fighter (V)
V Bottom Fighter (V)
G-M1F Bandit (Turn A)
ZM-S06S Zoloat (V)
MA-06 Val Walo (0083)
MSM-03C Hygogg (0080)
AMX-109 Capule (ZZ)
MSM-04 Acguy (MSG)
MS-06D Desert Zaku (ZZ)
MS-09F/trop Dom Tropen (0083)
MS-14D Desert Gelgoog (Unicorn)
AMS-119 Geara Doga (CCA)
AMS-119 Geara Doga [Rezin Schnyder Custom] (CCA)
RGM-89 Jegan (CCA)
GN-003 Gundam Kyrios (00)
GN-002 Gundam Dynames (00)
GN-005 Gundam Virtue (00)
RGM-79 GM (MSG)
MS-06 Zaku II (MSG)
GN-001 Gundam Exia (00)
MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam (Zeta)
MSJ-06II-A Tieren Ground Type (00)
ZMT-S16G Memedorza (V)
GPB-06F Super Custom Zaku F2000 (GB)

Battle was pretty neat, though I'm not sure how I feel about the turning point. The idea was obviously that the EZ-8 team relies on their information, and thus couldn't adapt to Fumina's surprise. But I dunno, giant punch and super long range gun don't seem like they'd be that much of an issue. I know it's because they have to make it look neat to sell the toys, but the first half of the match built up some higher expectations then that.

The EZ-8 team's theme song (or whatever was playing when the match started) was pretty drat good though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nobody's accusing anyone of being insincere you dipshit, they're saying that going "but I like it!" real quick at the end of a bunch of complaints and then going "b-b-but I said I liked it!" is some dumb poo poo.

So you don't believe he liked it and should have perhaps, gone home instead of posting in this thread?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is the impression you give off because you absolutely never stop bitching about the same old poo poo over and over again that everyone else got tired of reading ages ago. You post a shitload of complaints, then add a "Oh, I liked this episode!" almost as a qualifier and then play victim when people ignore the one positive sentence for the 99 that are bitching and moaning.

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is the impression you give off because you absolutely never stop bitching about the same old poo poo over and over again that everyone else got tired of reading ages ago. You post a shitload of complaints, then add a "Oh, I liked this episode!" almost as a qualifier and then play victim when people ignore the one positive sentence for the 99 that are bitching and moaning.

How the hell do I make it clear I enjoy a show short of doing nothing but praising it? I've explained what I liked. I didn't think there was anything to gush about this episode beyond how cool the EZ8s were. v:shobon:v

BlitzBlast posted:

GPB-06F Super Custom Zaku F2000

Oh, so that is what that one was. I couldn't recognize it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 12, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Srice posted:

So you don't believe he liked it and should have perhaps, gone home instead of posting in this thread?

OH ho ho you sure are clever.

Also, once again, not a thing I said. Please engage with the things I say and not with the things I don't say.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

This season hasn't been as focused or consistent as S1, but I still prefer it to watching most other shows in that it's inclusive and positive in it's messaging and doesn't involve overwrought arcs about resisting the call, mystery boxes, or whining as character development.

They're really having a hard time with focus. Too many people introduced at once, not enough screen time. Feels like they're pulling a lot of general anime tropes/references out of the bag for this too in a way that's distracting.

I actually had fun with the battle, though calling what Sekai/Yuuma did "working together" is a huge reach. Use of tactics was A+ but I wish each Ez-8 variation had a little more time to show differences.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also I swear to god if you guys keep arguing about how people should enjoy the show I am locking this thread.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BlitzBlast posted:

Also I swear to god if you guys keep arguing about how people should enjoy the show I am locking this thread.

Please do, and unlock it once a week to link the new episode in before immediately relocking it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OH ho ho you sure are clever.

Also, once again, not a thing I said. Please engage with the things I say and not with the things I don't say.

I honestly have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say then since I have addressed what you have written, so I'm afraid I cannot engage.

Koopa Kid posted:

This season hasn't been as focused or consistent as S1, but I still prefer it to watching most other shows in that it's inclusive and positive in it's messaging and doesn't involve overwrought arcs about resisting the call, mystery boxes, or whining as character development.

They're really having a hard time with focus. Too many people introduced at once, not enough screen time. Feels like they're pulling a lot of general anime tropes/references out of the bag for this too in a way that's distracting.

I actually had fun with the battle, though calling what Sekai/Yuuma did "working together" is a huge reach. Use of tactics was A+ but I wish each Ez-8 variation had a little more time to show differences.

That latter part is really what's keeping me down, they lean too heavily on fighting generic dudes. Too many generic mooks that get hyped up as a threat is a bad thing when they have zero personality and are immediately forgotten after the battle, but at least we're finally getting a new character introduced next episode so hey, that could be progress there. Hopefully they don't take him too seriously, we could really use another funny character like Gyanko but I'd settle for someone that's less serious than Sakai.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
e: gently caress this stupid thread

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

ImpAtom posted:

I've explained what I liked. I didn't think there was anything to gush about this episode beyond how cool the EZ8s were. v:shobon:v

If I could find a gif of Gyanko smashing that dude with her shields, I would post it here.

That's about it though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sakai is pretty great though? He's a grumpy dick but he's also completely right about everything he says.

The joke is that instead of getting angry, the people he bitches at just go "hey you know what, you're right!" and then they fix things and he just silently seethes.

and/or screams I THOUGHT YOU WERE A LOSER

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Sakai is pretty great though? He's a grumpy dick but he's also completely right about everything he says.

The joke is that instead of getting angry, the people he bitches at just go "hey you know what, you're right!" and then they fix things and he just silently seethes.

and/or screams I THOUGHT YOU WERE A LOSER

He was loving stoked when the burning equipped the knuckle. Sakai is a good guy in my book even though he's a jerk.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I think my issue with him this episode is that even though he brought up a legit point, one person transporting powerups so the rest of their team can win their 1 on 1 fights just isn't what I picture when I think of teamwork, y'know? Just a poor way of conveying it, I guess.

Though heck, my main problem with him is that he just makes Yuu into one heck of a wet blanket. Yuu's funny when Mirai is around but I am already tired of the rivalry between him and Sakai even though they've had very little screentime together!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Srice posted:

Actually, discussing why something works or doesn't work for you is cool and I encourage it.

I do hope you bring this attitude to the G-Reco thread tomorrow when people point out why things don't work.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caros posted:

I do hope you bring this attitude to the G-Reco thread tomorrow when people point out why things don't work.

That reminds me after someone pulled out the Tomino quote about racism you never responded there :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I don't know, I thought it was really cool how Fumina kind of came into her own as a builder with the kind of talent that shocked people. Like Fuuma's rival was even wrapped up in how cool a unit the Winning is and how she not only scratch built a unit that suits her, but also suits her two idiot partners in more than one way.

Also the EZ-8 were the Rolentos Jr. and much like the Rolento twins were actually kind of lame. Tacticool suits are neat, but you have to actually be cool guys to make them not just Real Robo wank material (See: Yuuki for example of it done right.) Have all the cheap tricks and advantages you want, it won't help you when you're fight someone who understands the spirit of gunpla/Has a fist of burning passion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

John Carstairs posted:

If I could find a gif of Gyanko smashing that dude with her shields, I would post it here.

That's about it though.

Okay that was pretty sweet too.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also the EZ-8 were the Rolentos Jr. and much like the Rolento twins were actually kind of lame. Tacticool suits are neat, but you have to actually be cool guys to make them not just Real Robo wank material (See: Yuuki for example of it done right.) Have all the cheap tricks and advantages you want, it won't help you when you're fight someone who understands the spirit of gunpla/Has a fist of burning passion.

I like real robots. I prefer them to super robots. v:shobon:v Give me Dragonars and Valkyries any day of the week.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Okay that was pretty sweet too.

Definitely the best part of the episode to me, I'm glad they've been consistently keeping her around and hopefully she doesn't get punked by another team just to build them up as a threat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Definitely the best part of the episode to me, I'm glad they've been consistently keeping her around and hopefully she doesn't get punked by another team just to build them up as a threat.

It's almost certainly going to happen because she's not going to fight the Try team a second time, but hopefully it'll be more like Fellini than Mao.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He was loving stoked when the burning equipped the knuckle. Sakai is a good guy in my book even though he's a jerk.

Sakai's just a lonely guy who doesn't know how to make friends, so he's gotten himself into a death-spiral trying to convince everyone else how great he is and comes off as insufferable because of it. I think the guy's got more character than he's letting on right now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's almost certainly going to happen because she's not going to fight the Try team a second time, but hopefully it'll be more like Fellini than Mao.

Yeah just wishful thinking on my part :smith:

Though if she goes out with a hell of a fight then that would be worth it, at least.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Have all the cheap tricks and advantages you want, it won't help you when you're fight someone who understands the spirit of gunpla/Has a fist of burning passion.

You forgot to mention a serene state of mind. :colbert:

I sort of like the view of Fumina shepherding her idiot teammates to victory, though. It might not be the greatest way to go about teamwork or her being the main character, but it beats "Iori-kun" by a goddamn mile.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Srice posted:

That latter part is really what's keeping me down, they lean too heavily on fighting generic dudes. Too many generic mooks that get hyped up as a threat is a bad thing when they have zero personality and are immediately forgotten after the battle, but at least we're finally getting a new character introduced next episode so hey, that could be progress there. Hopefully they don't take him too seriously, we could really use another funny character like Gyanko but I'd settle for someone that's less serious than Sakai.

I feel like we're missing the Melee which did a good job characterizing a lot of the supporting cast while allowing them to chump scrubs. They establish Nils' practicality, Yuuki's conflict with his responsibilities as Meijin, Aila dismissively destroying everyone, Fellini's good-guy honour BS, all of that without taking any good players out of the game.

So far, with the exception of Gyanko, the teams just make smug comments and then explode. They've cut to Mega-Shiki team for like 3 episodes straight and I still don't even know their names. Nor do I care.

Hopefully once the playing field narrows they'll find the space to show off more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I like real robots. I prefer them to super robots. v:shobon:v Give me Dragonars and Valkyries any day of the week.

Real robots are fine in shows that are actually Real Robot shows, but Gundam has always been about Space Psychics controlling robots with their Soul Empathy and beating bad guys with UNDERSTANDING and EVEN SO.

Trying to real robot up Gundam has always just been a joke to me, even though a lot of the less dumb OVA's are some of the best stuff. It just feels completely out of place tone wise with the franchise. It's also why G Gundam and Turn A are basically the best because they just kind of say "gently caress IT, IT'S BASICALLY MAGIC gently caress YOU ENJOY THE SHOW".

Also the best Valkyrie is powered by songs about how Music will save the universe. The pinnacle is Super Robo.:colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I already mentioned it but song vase is in a different bracket. But I dont know how much they are sticking to that because given the bracket Try should be fighting team Free next and not the destiny gundam guy.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

While I hate the discussions about the portrayal of women in gundam as much as the next person, the arguments that ImpAtom are bringing up each time are still valid responses to each episode. Like, it'd be one thing if they were continuing to go on about something that happened weeks ago, but no, they're responding to things that happened this episode. For instance, this episode in particular was set up to be all about the Winning Gundam, and it helping out its teamates. Instead, it turned into a "and now yuuma and sakai get power ups and that's why she's so awesome!," with a little shoehorned bit about making them work together at the in.
Except she didn't make them work together at all. They both fought individually, and the only thing they did together was...both use one of Winning's parts?

The problems that ImpAtom are talking about aren't getting any better, keep on coming back in different ways, and seem to be potentially getting worse. It's a major issue in a show when one of the primary protagonists is sidelined repeatedly, and especially so when she's the token female. Especially when the show has shown so many opportunities to correct this, and then they don't.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

I feel like we're missing the Melee which did a good job characterizing a lot of the supporting cast while allowing them to chump scrubs. They establish Nils' practicality, Yuuki's conflict with his responsibilities as Meijin, Aila dismissively destroying everyone, Fellini's good-guy honour BS, all of that without taking any good players out of the game.

So far, with the exception of Gyanko, the teams just make smug comments and then explode. They've cut to Mega-Shiki team for like 3 episodes straight and I still don't even know their names. Nor do I care.

Hopefully once the playing field narrows they'll find the space to show off more.

And to expand on that I think the cast being international really helped out. Since they were playing in different qualifying tournaments you could show their fights in their region without knocking anybody important out. It gave a perfect excuse to introduce them ahead of time, and in some cases like Fellini have them hang out with the cast even though they wouldn't battle each other for quite some time. Not that you *need* to do that to make a character effective because yeah, Gyanko is good. But it definitely can go a long way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real robots are fine in shows that are actually Real Robot shows, but Gundam has always been about Space Psychics controlling robots with their Soul Empathy and beating bad guys with UNDERSTANDING and EVEN SO.

Trying to real robot up Gundam has always just been a joke to me, even though a lot of the less dumb OVA's are some of the best stuff. It just feels completely out of place tone wise with the franchise. It's also why G Gundam and Turn A are basically the best because they just kind of say "gently caress IT, IT'S BASICALLY MAGIC gently caress YOU ENJOY THE SHOW".

Also the best Valkyrie is powered by songs about how Music will save the universe. The pinnacle is Super Robo.:colbert:

Gundam is one of the most iconic real robot shows though. I mean, yes, it has unrealistic stuff but the unrealistic stuff exists alongside the Real Robot stuff. Macross has giant transforming battleships and in one extreme case lasers made of songs and Dragonar has a combining rainbow-colored bazooka blaster and stuff, but it doesn't make them any less Real Robot.

There's certainly arguments to be made about the line, but Gundam at least always (G Gundam aside) tries to stick to the line between military hardware and bizarre supernatural phenomena and even then it tends towards trans-humanism over "courage saves the day!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I already mentioned it but song vase is in a different bracket. But I dont know how much they are sticking to that because given the bracket Try should be fighting team Free next and not the destiny gundam guy.

They're in a different bracket but eventually they will have to fight Team Try again unless they lose.

Destiny guy is probably going to be a out-of-tournament fight and probably just for Sekai. He doesn't seem to be part of the

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 12, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They're in a different bracket but eventually they will have to fight Team Try again unless they lose.

Destiny guy is probably going to be a out-of-tournament fight and probably just for Sekai.

Yeah, which unless they job to a completely unknown team they'll end up fighting against team G-Masters in the semi finals. I'm expecting everyone in the semi-finals here qualify for the real regionals or nationals if they jump straight to that so there isn't any fear of having less Gyanko anytime soon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

My guess is that she's going to Worf for Team G-Master.

Trying to real robot up Gundam has always just been a joke to me

Dude, the original Mobile Suit Gundam was basically the thing that kicked off the entire real robot subgenre to begin with.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

How the hell do I make it clear I enjoy a show short of doing nothing but praising it? I've explained what I liked. I didn't think there was anything to gush about this episode beyond how cool the EZ8s were. v:shobon:v

For starters you could act like you aren't ashamed of watching it when you talk about not even being able to watch it with an insufferable-sounding group of people.

everythingWasBees posted:

While I hate the discussions about the portrayal of women in gundam as much as the next person, the arguments that ImpAtom are bringing up each time are still valid responses to each episode. Like, it'd be one thing if they were continuing to go on about something that happened weeks ago, but no, they're responding to things that happened this episode. For instance, this episode in particular was set up to be all about the Winning Gundam, and it helping out its teamates. Instead, it turned into a "and now yuuma and sakai get power ups and that's why she's so awesome!," with a little shoehorned bit about making them work together at the in.
Except she didn't make them work together at all. They both fought individually, and the only thing they did together was...both use one of Winning's parts?

The problems that ImpAtom are talking about aren't getting any better, keep on coming back in different ways, and seem to be potentially getting worse. It's a major issue in a show when one of the primary protagonists is sidelined repeatedly, and especially so when she's the token female. Especially when the show has shown so many opportunities to correct this, and then they don't.

The thing is they're only "valid" if you happen to actually agree with his view.

I don't.

Personally I think it's lovely that he thinks being a concerned leader that recognizes the flaws in her team and builds a robot from scratch to compensate for them is a negative to her character.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Can the opponents equip and use parts of the winning gundam

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

For starters you could act like you aren't ashamed of watching it when you talk about not even being able to watch it with an insufferable-sounding group of people.

Calling people you don't know insufferable because they don't enjoy an anime about fighting plastic robots is pretty lovely.

Lessail posted:

It depends on if it is piloted. We've seen units steal weapons from other units before.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Wow, this thread is as terrible as the show is good. (Hint: That's pretty terrible.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Lessail posted:

Probably not; I bet Fumina's probably anticipated that might happen at some point, and the pieces are probably set up to cripple any opponent that tries. (Managed to snatch the Winning Knuckle before Sekai could get to it? Congratulations, prepare to lose your hand and maybe the rest of the arm it was attached to!)

Ideally, if you could somehow get to one of the Winning Gundam's pieces before her teammates, your safest bet would be to just straight up destroy it. That would leave her teammate with no power up, and her with a crippled core booster that can no longer transform back into robot mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

The thing is they're only "valid" if you happen to actually agree with his view.

I don't.

Personally I think it's lovely that he thinks being a concerned leader that recognizes the flaws in her team and builds a robot from scratch to compensate for them is a negative to her character.

Somebody raising valid points doesn't mean their view is necessarily correct.

And I'm still not sure what flaws she's compensating for. Sekai can now punch even harder, and Yuuya can shoot further and more powerfully, and? I think that's it?

• Locked thread