Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I love Dillon too. I feel like people would not remember Preacher half so fondly if not for his art.

Dillon's art in Preacher was pretty good though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

I like his art in Hellblazer, too. His contributions make the Mortal Clay arc particularly gruesome.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
For anyone looking to start a 8 book serie, The Kitchen's first issue was a lot of fun to read.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Goatmask posted:

Speaking of Vertigo and Grant Morrison, how is the post-Morrison run of Animal Man?

I was reading the Animal Man Wikipedia article and the Peter Milligan run sounds like it might be good?

Yeah, Milligan's run was a pretty worthy follow-up. It was a surreal and rather lighthearted story and you could see a clear stylistic connection to stories like Coyote Gospel, while maintaining his own voice (and not directly aping Morrison's style) and also without negating Morrison's conclusion.

Delano's run is just terrible, unfortunately. The vegetarian preaching goes overboard (Morrison did it too but he had a far better sense of how to leaven it), and he succumbs to the same malady many British writers do when they figure it's their mission to pull the curtain back on The Real America.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 12, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Alhazred posted:

Yes, that's his art in Preacher.1

1. Vast majority of art may not look even remotely as good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

xenilk posted:

For anyone looking to start a 8 book serie, The Kitchen's first issue was a lot of fun to read.

Echoing this. Sets up plenty of plot for issue 2 to hit the ground running. Knowing it's scheduled for 8 issues raises my hopes that this won't spin its wheels at all.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I read The Wake and was disappointed. The first half is interesting but it feels padded--it spends more than three issues on what is basically one long action sequence. Then the second half is crammed full because it has to introduce a completely new future world and also explain everything, and most of the explanation is done in the last issue as a ridiculous plot dump. Maybe the idea was good but the execution needed to be a lot better.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I have zero clue what's going to happen in the last issue of Unwritten. :ohdear:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Action Jacktion posted:

I read The Wake and was disappointed. The first half is interesting but it feels padded--it spends more than three issues on what is basically one long action sequence. Then the second half is crammed full because it has to introduce a completely new future world and also explain everything, and most of the explanation is done in the last issue as a ridiculous plot dump. Maybe the idea was good but the execution needed to be a lot better.

Fully agree. It really lst steam in the second half and there were some borderline incoherent panel layouts that made me think I had missed a page. I just glazed over the end and didn't quite get what was going on other than,"Well poo poo. Guess its over."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I have zero clue what's going to happen in the last issue of Unwritten. :ohdear:

Hope you don't mind waiting til February to find out. :smith:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

cptn_dr posted:

Hope you don't mind waiting til February to find out. :smith:

Whaaaaat? God dammit all!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Action Jacktion posted:

When I finished The Wake I went online looking for reviews of the last issue and was baffled that more than a few comic-reviewing websites (granted, not many) seemed to really like it. Yes, (tiny) bits of the ending were seeded in previous issues, and yes, the title of the book has numerous meanings, but that doesn't make the book good when it hits the end and just goes "uhhh... everything is fine now". I think if the names on the cover were replaced the book would have been panned (albeit with positive comments towards art).

A good chunk of the positive reviews kinda read like they considered the back half/ending as an avenue for future fan-fiction/D&D campaigns, and I just can't relate to that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.vertigocomics.com/blog/2014/12/15/vertigo-group-solicits-march-2015

STRANGE SPORTS STORIES #1
Written by various
Art by various
Cover by PAUL POPE
1:13 Variant cover by MIKE MITCHELL
On sale MARCH 18 • 40 pg, 1 of 4, FC, $4.99 US • MATURE READERS
Comics’ top talents, including some making their Vertigo debut, take on the classic DC Comics anthology title for four issues of strange, scary, sexy and sensational sports stories. Featuring stories and art by Brian Azzarello, CM Punk, Paul Pope, Gilbert Hernandez, Lauren Beukes, Ben McCool, Ivan Brandon, Monica Gallagher, Lee Loughridge, Nick Dragotta, Christopher Mitten, Darick Robertson, Mark Finn, John Lucas, Gabe Soria, Ronald Wimberly, Michael DiMotta, Tim Fish, Rael Lyra and many more!

Ahaha awesome.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Huh, I hadn't heard they were going to do a comic adaptation of The Wolf Among Us. Might be the first Fable comic I pick up in a long while.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Oh my God how do you do that to people in the second-last issue of the series?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Huh, I hadn't heard they were going to do a comic adaptation of The Wolf Among Us. Might be the first Fable comic I pick up in a long while.

Seems pretty pointless if it's just a straight adaptation. The art doesn't look that great either.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Is Fable not any good? I enjoyed The Wolf Among Us but it's my only contact with the series.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Obliterati posted:

Is Fable not any good? I enjoyed The Wolf Among Us but it's my only contact with the series.

It was pretty novel when it started, and I enjoyed it up until it reached its "natural conclusion," but then it went on for like another 100 issues after that and they haven't been very good. Also the not-at-all-subtle right wing sermonizing towards the end.

I still read it though because I have no willpower :negative: Art is still nice, at least.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Obliterati posted:

It was alright, bolstered by beautiful James Jean covers, had a natural ending point, but then kept on going and it seems highly inessential, from what I can tell.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Obliterati posted:

To give you an example of what GrandpaPants mentioned, he pushes right-wing political positions and analogies a fair bit which can be a big turn off.

It has been years since I read it, but near the climax of the story he has Bigby push a Pro-Israel position which is relatively mainstream for the USA cue to the unique pro-Israel atmosphere there but would be viewed as incredibly one-sided and stupid pretty much anywhere else in the world. However the thing is it's not subtext, he outright states it.

So if you hadn't figured it out beforehand, that will then clue you in that there was a political subtext of a lot of the earlier story - like the Arabic fables with their drat genies (WMDs) - which push forward positions that are a lot less mainsteam and acceptable even within the USA.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

team overhead smash posted:

To give you an example of what GrandpaPants mentioned, he pushes right-wing political positions and analogies a fair bit which can be a big turn off.

It has been years since I read it, but near the climax of the story he has Bigby push a Pro-Israel position which is relatively mainstream for the USA cue to the unique pro-Israel atmosphere there but would be viewed as incredibly one-sided and stupid pretty much anywhere else in the world. However the thing is it's not subtext, he outright states it.

So if you hadn't figured it out beforehand, that will then clue you in that there was a political subtext of a lot of the earlier story - like the Arabic fables with their drat genies (WMDs) - which push forward positions that are a lot less mainsteam and acceptable even within the USA.

Also the witch who gains power by killing babies does it in the real world by funding abortion clinics.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

That's actually super disheartening. I just picked up the TPB of volume 1 and was really enjoying it. How long before it goes to poo poo?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Cabinet posted:

That's actually super disheartening. I just picked up the TPB of volume 1 and was really enjoying it. How long before it goes to poo poo?

It stays good with occasional painfully awkward scenes or allegories up until issue #75, at which point the plot steadily goes downhill so you might as well stop there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cabinet posted:

The conservative viewpoints are always there, but its not until the Israel analogy it becomes blatant, and rereading it you begin to see it more.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So is anybody reading The Kitchen?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I feel like the only redeeming issue in the past year has been that episode where Bigby meets his oldest son.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Benny the Snake posted:

I read the first one. I won't be reading any more.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Benny the Snake posted:

I read both current issues and am subscribed.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I just got my final Lucifer trade and I got feels putting that last book on the shelf. So I prompltly loaded up issue one on the iPad. I'll never escape.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I read the first one. I won't be reading any more.

I enjoyed the first issue, haven't gotten to the second, yet.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Benny the Snake posted:

I like it, and I'm not normally a fan of 70s mobster stuff. The sequence in issue 2 where they were talking about Tommy was neat, Masters has a good voice for this, and Doyle's pencils and fashion sense really work for it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've been really enjoying The Kitchen. I'm kinda torn in that the miniseries nature points towards a definite ending, presumably the girls ending up in prison just as their husbands get out or something, but it could have had kind of Breaking Bad/Sopranos legs.

Doyle's art is great, and her expressions are great, especially with how fierce Kath gets. The pacing is a little confused, though. Like, the events so far seem like they've taken place over a week or two, yet the girls are already seen as the power in the Irish mob?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gaz-L posted:

The pacing is a little confused, though. Like, the events so far seem like they've taken place over a week or two, yet the girls are already seen as the power in the Irish mob?

They broke a couple of eggs, everyone else smells the omelette.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For any Sweet Tooth fans, there's a new story in Vertigo Quarterly Black this week.
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/01/26/preview-monday-gotham-by-midnight-3-and-vertigo-quarterly-black-1#17

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 27, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I finished reading Lucifer for the first time yesterday. Holy poo poo, I think I enjoyed it even more than Sandman, another great book that I waited too long to read. What I loved the most was how Lucifer's selfishness was never played down in order to make him a "good guy".

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Soonmot posted:

I finished reading Lucifer for the first time yesterday. Holy poo poo, I think I enjoyed it even more than Sandman, another great book that I waited too long to read. What I loved the most was how Lucifer's selfishness was never played down in order to make him a "good guy".

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Lucifer is one of the few spinoffs that manages to be even better than it's source.

And on that note, I've been re-reading The Unwritten in prep for the final issue. It really is one of the best comics ever written. The 28th can't come soon enough.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

drat... I need to start reading Lucifer. A friend got me into Sandman around ten years ago and at the time she told me to read Lucifer next because it was even better, but after Sandman I just didn't think it was possible, so I kept putting it off. I've seen enough people say the same sentiments now that I'm definitely feeling the need to get into it.

Skimming the article on Wiki, I see it's collected into 11 volumes - there aren't any sort of side-stories or the like I need to also check out, are there?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

drat... I need to start reading Lucifer. A friend got me into Sandman around ten years ago and at the time she told me to read Lucifer next because it was even better, but after Sandman I just didn't think it was possible, so I kept putting it off. I've seen enough people say the same sentiments now that I'm definitely feeling the need to get into it.

Skimming the article on Wiki, I see it's collected into 11 volumes - there aren't any sort of side-stories or the like I need to also check out, are there?

It's been collected more recently into bigger trades. The whole series and the mini, one-shots and stuff are in 5 volumes.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
The new Quarterly is out. How is it? I'm considering picking it up. Also, "The Kitchen" is really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
It comes out tomorrow. I've enjoyed all the quarterlies so far, but I dig anthologies, so I'm getting it regardless.

• Locked thread