Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I think he's more a fan of the Starlights. He's obviously trying to show everyone his Star Gentle Uterus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Having seen episodes 8 and 9 finally, feel like I'll respond to this.

Dove from Above posted:

I think I already raved about this upthread but I guess I'm really hoping some other new-Myu fans will share their thoughts.

I'm not a new fan (I watched the original DiC dub back in high school and that's how I get hooked), but I've really been enjoying the hell out of Crystal. I won't say it doesn't have its flaws; the animation is definitely subpar a lot of times, and there definitely isn't anything approaching character development outside of the introduction episodes of each character. I also realize however this is due to the attempt to stay close to the original manga, and this is one area where adhering to the manga more closely is a bad idea because it was never big on developing the characters.

I actually feel like watching the original anime greatly helps my enjoyment of Crystal. If I hadn't watched the original and wasn't already a fan of the franchise, I probably would have quit after an episode or two of Crystal if I'd even watched it at all. As it stands though these are characters I already feel like I know and am familiar with, just in an alternate universe. I know they're not exactly the same characters (Rei and Usagi aren't constantly arguing and she isn't a huge dork like in the original anime) but I already know them to a degree and seeing them in (as far as anime is concerned) new situations is cool to me. Especially since I haven't read the manga in ages and have forgotten a lot of it, seeing it animated is great...I just wish the animation was higher quality.

The music however is excellent and I love it, they really did great with that. Though admittedly as soon as the big fight versus Kunzite happened at the beginning of episode 9, my brain immediately inserted a Heartcatch Precure song to the scene. This one specifically.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Viz thinks this is good. These are OFFICIAL SHOTS. They claim "Of course, due to the materials and the fact that each episode is different, there’s still some minor imperfections and every episode will have some small variations. In handling the series as carefully as possible, no additional processing was done", which is obvious BS. :negative:

According to the bottom though the DVDs won't have Pillarboxing going forward. But naturally they'll still be the poo poo remaster.

They're also claiming on their Facebook page that the "2009 remaster" is what Toei gave them. Either this is them trying to worm their way out of the issue or Toei intentionally gave them poo poo masters maybe to try and deter that ever so looming spectre of "Reverse Importing". I don't know, this is becoming a nasty :can: of its own right.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/99617

Yeah lol. Whatever Viz.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Sad part is, I still want to buy the series, but I don't necessarily want to start selling my organs for more expensive imported DVDs (especially when they don't have subtitles). They've blatantly admitted to deleting dissenters posts on their facebook timeline and have wormed themselves out of the arguement (Which some people will just accept because :downs:)

That being said, anybody who does have the BDs/DVDs, check out the Clean opening on the third disc for a good idea of what could have been. No DNR, no oversaturation, no ghosting, just proper video. Too bad that's not what we ended up getting because this is really sad.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not condoning it but the end game of all this (assuming we don't see the entire thing fall apart) is some two bit sailor moon fansite is just going to time the dub to the fansubs of the 2003 japanese release and that will be the end of the matter.

Really, all we need for this to be a perfect slam dunk is for Kazé to release this version in the UK and for them to lock the subs and only release up to R like MVM did.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
I've never watched SM before but decided to pick it up with the new show. But some of the animation feels really off to me. And then this happened:

And then all I could think of was this:

and now I just don't know what

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm not condoning it but the end game of all this (assuming we don't see the entire thing fall apart) is some two bit sailor moon fansite is just going to time the dub to the fansubs of the 2003 japanese release and that will be the end of the matter.

Really, all we need for this to be a perfect slam dunk is for Kazé to release this version in the UK and for them to lock the subs and only release up to R like MVM did.

Please. Anyone worth their salt is going to be sticking the dub on encodes of Dynit's DVDs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

FortMax posted:

Please. Anyone worth their salt is going to be sticking the dub on encodes of Dynit's DVDs.

Point is, we'll get the "best" version of Sailor Moon and it's in Viz's best interest for them to at least come close.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHcaJUCqQME

First clip of Jupiter's new voice. I personally really like it.

Also it appears Viz put the dub on digital services today.

As much as it frustrates me, I think Viz is legitimately trying their best with what they have, they didn't gently caress over the Ranma sets and I have no reason to believe they hosed these sets over, I'm honestly thinking Toei just gave them lovely masters. Whomever is in charge of Social Media PR stated that Toei "have tried to track down any potential copies that might exist in other countries which is above and beyond their obligation to us. The masters we have are the best that were available.." I'm not sure if this means that's what they did and we ended up with garbage or if they are actually going back and looking for a better master. Either way the whole thing is just troubling. They also have no plans to fix the Set 1 discs.

At least the dub is good.

Anyway, I just finished S up, my opinion of Chibiusa has improved considerably from where it was when I started the series (of course, having a not terribly annoying voice helps). Here's hoping SuperS doesn't completely ruin that going forward.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Super S is pretty awful and has one of the weirdest storylines in the TV series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

As much as it frustrates me, I think Viz is legitimately trying their best with what they have, they didn't gently caress over the Ranma sets and I have no reason to believe they hosed these sets over, I'm honestly thinking Toei just gave them lovely masters. Whomever is in charge of Social Media PR stated that Toei "have tried to track down any potential copies that might exist in other countries which is above and beyond their obligation to us. The masters we have are the best that were available.." I'm not sure if this means that's what they did and we ended up with garbage or if they are actually going back and looking for a better master. Either way the whole thing is just troubling. They also have no plans to fix the Set 1 discs.

They must have the 2003 masters as that's what it looks like on Hulu so there's two scenarios here.

1) The manufacturer is at fault and for whatever reason they have to play it where it lays.

2) Toei provided two sets of Masters: the VOD version and the "Home Video" masters and have forced Viz's hand in the matter.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The 2009 JP DVDs aren't even a remaster, they were box sets of the original JP DVD release (2003/2004).

Viz's "JP DVD" sample images don't match frames from the JP DVDs, but the old US DVDs from 2002?ish.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

Super S is pretty awful and has one of the weirdest storylines in the TV series.

I've heard bad stories but I want to be optimistic since I honestly don't remember if I've seen any of SuperS beforehand.

Though the fact that Usagi and Chibiusa both need to be present to transform once she obtains the powerset for the season is dumb, i'm sure its explained in the show but honestly did the Manga even have this issue?

Oh well, the animation/coloration looks great, but who's to say that'll last past a single episode and we won't get more episodes that look just... off from the normal stuff.

ConanThe3rd posted:

They must have the 2003 masters as that's what it looks like on Hulu so there's two scenarios here.

1) The manufacturer is at fault and for whatever reason they have to play it where it lays.

2) Toei provided two sets of Masters: the VOD version and the "Home Video" masters and have forced Viz's hand in the matter.

That second one seems to be pretty apparent. The VOD version looks way different from the BDs and DVDs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The optimist in me says 1, the realist in me says 2 and is probably making preparations in response.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

All this talk of video issues got me to thinking, how are they going to handle the last episode of R? That episode wasn't done on film like the others.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

And in the manga, it's pretty good because the outers show back up, and also we get human Artemis who is super awesome (also Luna and Diana but eh).

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Though the fact that Usagi and Chibiusa both need to be present to transform once she obtains the powerset for the season is dumb, i'm sure its explained in the show but honestly did the Manga even have this issue?

It's not really explained in the show, really the explanation is "The stock animation we did has them both transforming so they both need to be there." Which results in Usagi I think (it might have been Chibiusa, I can't remember, but it was one of them) literally showing up out of nowhere in one episode to accommodate this. But no, there was no in-universe restrictions on them transforming separately and they could have at any time if they wanted. I want to say someone in this thread did mention that in one episode, Chibiusa I believe does transform by herself, and they use the transformation sequence they used in S.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Lots of weid poo poo happened in the manga version but never that.

I can't remember, did the anime version have the adult/child switch between Usagi and Chibiusa?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah I'm almost positive there was an episode where they switched ages.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

RMZXAnarchy posted:

All this talk of video issues got me to thinking, how are they going to handle the last episode of R? That episode wasn't done on film like the others.

Well, there are two options. The first is to do what Toei and Dynit did for their DVDs, which is just throw the existing analog-sourced master. Hopefully, Viz wouldn't try to use progressive mode since that master is full of temporal blending, and there is a 60i effect right before the OP.

The second is is to remake the episode. This is time consuming, but probably entirely doable, since almost everything needed exists is the same format as the rest of the episodes.
1. most of the episode is simply unaltered clips from other episodes. Find the needed scenes ann assemble them. Simple, but takes time.
2. End credits and the preview for episode 90 would need text added, and there's a 60i effect right before the opening that would need to be remade as well. Sailor Moon R's creditless openings and endings have digital 408i masters from film prints, so no problem there.
3. The opening is the four main creditless openings in a 2x2 grid. The only potential problem is the opening from the second half of the first season. But before the first Viz set came out, I'd have said the same thing about the opening from the first half as well.

They'd probably go with option 1. After all, it's just a recap episode. Not even Sunrise bothered to take option 2 on Turn A's recap.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Going by other people's reactions I am probably in the minority, but I like the new dub.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The dub's not the problem. Its the video.

The dub is great. Most people who don't like it either don't like dubs anyway or prefer the old DiC/CWi dubs.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Will they dub Ep.90? The old dub skipped it.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Violet_Sky posted:

So far they've dubbed the early season 1 eps that the DiC dub skipped, like the one with the 'Chanela' pets, and the one where Umino's idea of teen rebellion is wearing a suit and tie to school and eating bread whenever he drat well feels like it. So I would expect yes.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

Episode 90? The first S episode? As far as I know the only episodes skipped were the early episodes Viz has dubbed, the one with Minako's past, the full versions of the last two S1 episodes, and the Chibiusa dinosaur volcano episode. The last R episode was dubbed.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Dove from Above posted:

So far they've dubbed the early season 1 eps that the DiC dub skipped, like the one with the 'Chanela' pets, and the one where Umino's idea of teen rebellion is wearing a suit and tie to school and eating bread whenever he drat well feels like it. So I would expect yes.

No! Anything but snacking! What cruel evil is the Dark Kingdom truly capable of?!??!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well he also flips up Miss Haruna's skirt and shows everyone she wears bear print panties! Now she'll never be a bride!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On a side. The decision to pragmatically translate the script (turning the bride comment into something like "I'll never live it down!") is one of the areas that Viz are doing well with the project.

Then again I might just like how Umino's lines have been translated (the over 9000 iq gag, the Molly accent in that one episode) so yeah.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

ConanThe3rd posted:

On a side. The decision to pragmatically translate the script (turning the bride comment into something like "I'll never live it down!") is one of the areas that Viz are doing well with the project.

Then again I might just like how Umino's lines have been translated (the over 9000 iq gag, the Molly accent in that one episode) so yeah.

Not to mention the running joke of Usagi muttering furiously to herself about Mamoru's horrible wardrobe.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Dove from Above posted:

Not to mention the running joke of Usagi muttering furiously to herself about Mamoru's horrible wardrobe.

To be fair pretty much everybody has a horrible wardrobe (Especially Rei and Usagi, holy cow. On the other hand, Ami and Makoto seem to mostly steer clear of whatever the hell the 90s was smoking when it came to fashion.

Mamoru's would be acceptable if not for the color scheme, that's what's worst.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha

RMZXAnarchy posted:

To be fair pretty much everybody has a horrible wardrobe (Especially Rei and Usagi, holy cow. On the other hand, Ami and Makoto seem to mostly steer clear of whatever the hell the 90s was smoking when it came to fashion.

Mamoru's would be acceptable if not for the color scheme, that's what's worst.

This outfit used to haunt me as a child. I was always frightened by the doughnut skirt. I have no idea why.

Edit: http://starlight.csmalecki.com/reads/fashion.php
There is no color scheme that could fit that teal, yellow, and grey monstrosity from Sailor Moon R.

Tree Huffer fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 13, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I've not seen that, SuperS? Most I've seen of Makoto's wardrobe save for school uniforms or Senshi garb are like... Three notable outfits (My favorite being her hoodie and baseball cap. I don't know why.)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think that's from the SuperS movie.

Frankly I love the awesome/horrible 90s fashion of Sailor Moon, it's just part of the charm of the series.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I just liked that they had more more than just their school outfit and one personal outfit. Feels like most anims nowadays follow the Doug Funny school of dressing yourself.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dove from Above posted:

We know the script writers are having fun at least.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ack, my bad, I mean, Ep. 89. :downs: But I'm also wondering about the plesiosaur ep. That was skipped in the subbed DVDs.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

Ack, my bad, I mean, Ep. 89. :downs: But I'm also wondering about the plesiosaur ep. That was skipped in the subbed DVDs.

IIRC DiC didn't even have that episode so when ADV got the masters they had no choice but to skip it. Its shown up on Digital services this time around though so it'll be there.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Listen to the guy from Anime News Network talk to Viz as they tell us there's no replacements and they're not firing Subatomic Digital

Really only the first 21 minutes and the last chunk are SM related.

I'm not really sure what to say. It makes sense for them to defend their product but it seems like they're trying to cover their hides and refute criticism more than trying to actually address the issues.

Shame they're not dropping Subatomic though, they're not good and apparently they buggered some other Viz products as well.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not surprised. Viz are extremely tone deaf to anything other than the "buy all our playsets and toys" message.

Want to get the digital version of the One Punch Man GNs when you're in the UK and get adverts thrown into your inbox? Get hosed (this has resolved but I've long since given up on Jump Alpha and Food Wars is now getting dicked).

Want Sailor Moon streamed in Canada? Get hosed.

The thing is, videophiles will get their ultimate version of Sailor Moon but it will be a MKV file and free. (again, not condoning)

And if Viz limp to the finish line with Stars Set 2 then, neat, it'll have an english option.

• Locked thread