Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

John Carstairs posted:

If I could find a gif of Gyanko smashing that dude with her shields, I would post it here.

That's about it though.

Quick and dirty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Quick and dirty:

.. Man, I feel so bad for that dude trying to repair his gunpla. That's like awful. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, I'm not sure if Model Damage Level B is preventing that thing from actually coming out a crushed wreck or what. Either way, Gyanko pulls no punches.

Bigger gfycat version

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Quick and dirty:

I think that's the best scene in the series so far.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

Somebody raising valid points doesn't mean their view is necessarily correct.

And I'm still not sure what flaws she's compensating for. Sekai can now punch even harder, and Yuuya can shoot further and more powerfully, and? I think that's it?

They haven't outright mentioned it but we already know Sekai's fists cant break guarded opponents. Just about everyone with a shield has been able to block his blows without any issues. If they actually had more time in the episode and they weren't constrained with having to repair the burning so early they could probably illustrate what would happened if the build burning traded blows with the claw ez8 too.

I wonder how much this is the settings being on B and whether or not they are going to switch it up to A in the later tournaments. They have to if they are going to have the burning suffer any form of real damage.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Also I'm surprised they didn't have sekai do the normal martial arts thing against invisible foes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Quick and dirty:

God drat that is just brutal to watch. :ohdear:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Fumina I think is a bit complicated. She's in the support "cleric" role, making the guys better, but at the same time it's down to her that the team came together, she is very much the driving force and narratively seems to be the main protagonist. And at least the show acknowledges contributions besides combat ability as worthwhile, and everyone seems hugely impressed with Winning Gundam, and they won the battle because Fumina's work was new and surprising to people that came fully prepared.

If I'm being cynical I don't see what benefit the Winning Knuckle confers given Build Burning can punch through anything short of Gynako's shield as it is.

And Gyanko is a girl, and also fun and interesting and capable, so there's that too.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

ImpAtom posted:

.. Man, I feel so bad for that dude trying to repair his gunpla. That's like awful. :smith:

Tournament rules state you can swap Gunpla between matches. Seems smart to build a few units and keep them on hand. After all, why build one gunpla when you can build two at twice the cost?

I wonder what the rules are for somebody tossing extra funnels or something into the arena while a match is going on.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They haven't outright mentioned it but we already know Sekai's fists cant break guarded opponents. Just about everyone with a shield has been able to block his blows without any issues. If they actually had more time in the episode and they weren't constrained with having to repair the burning so early they could probably illustrate what would happened if the build burning traded blows with the claw ez8 too.

I wonder how much this is the settings being on B and whether or not they are going to switch it up to A in the later tournaments. They have to if they are going to have the burning suffer any form of real damage.

Oh. I completely overlooked that. An armor piercing fist would make sense, then. Still, while the power up is cool and I guess really useful, it wasn't really the whole "getting them to work together" angle the show said it was, which seems to be their actual real flaw.

This really needed to be a 15 minute fight, at least. Maybe the entire episode.
These short fights at the end aren't enough for 3v3 battles. They were only barely enough for 1v1s.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Personally I think it's lovely that he thinks being a concerned leader that recognizes the flaws in her team and builds a robot from scratch to compensate for them is a negative to her character.

It isn't a negative to her character. I think after reviewing things some more the show is never explicitly negative about or disparaging of Fumina in any real way. She's clearly the only member of the team with her head on right and the other characters including rivals respect her. The problem people have about her isn't anything to do with Fumina herself, it's that her having a clue doesn't really seem to matter in battles because the other two basically just power their way out of things and she gets to contribute to that if she's lucky. Having her special secret trait be more or less "sacrifice herself to make her teammates not suck" is lame when she's clearly capable of more than that. It doesn't help that her kill shots come across as afterthoughts.

On a more fun topic, Sakai had better be there when Simon fights so that he can be smug about lovely builds and then get owned once again when Simon shows that it's more than just build quality that matters. I love Sakai. He, Gyanko, and Fumina are the best characters. Clearly they should be the real team Try.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 12, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

chumbler posted:

It isn't a negative to her character. I think after reviewing things some more the show is never explicitly negative about or disparaging of Fumina in any real way. She's clearly the only member of the team with her head on right and the other characters including rivals respect her. The problem people have about her isn't anything to do with Fumina herself, it's that her having a clue doesn't really seem to matter in battles because the other two basically just power their way out of things and she gets to contribute to that if she's lucky. Having her special secret trait be more or less "sacrifice herself to make her teammates not suck" is lame when she's clearly capable of more than that. It doesn't help that her kill shots come across as afterthoughts.

On a more fun topic, Sakai had better be there when Simon fights so that he can be smug about lovely builds and then get owned once again when Simon shows that it's more than just build quality that matters. I love Sakai. He, Gyanko, and Fumina are the best characters. Clearly they should be the real team Try.

Thing is I don't really view it that way. Yes, the Winning itself is likely capable of matching the Lightning and Burning, and as such can likely match single competitors itself. I don't view the Winning Road as sacrificing herself - I think, and I also think this is what the show was trying to convey - that the system allows her to strategically redistribute the Winning's power to her teammates as the situation demands, and that Fumina herself has a good head for this kind of thinking, while still maintaining a core unit that is still dangerous and capable of taking out others. It's pretty much the ultimate team player robot and I just don't see the problem with that because being a team player is a good thing in absolutely any team-based competition and in fact is something that is generally encouraged of folks!

EDIT: poo poo, isn't the entire concept of Kuroko's Basketball that the main protagonist is an exceptionally good team player?

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 12, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Oh Snapple! posted:

Thing is I don't really view it that way. Yes, the Winning itself is likely capable of matching the Lightning and Burning, and as such can likely match single competitors itself. I don't view the Winning Road as sacrificing herself - I think, and I also think this is what the show was trying to convey - that the system allows her to strategically redistribute the Winning's power to her teammates as the situation demands, and that Fumina herself has a good head for this kind of thinking, while still maintaining a core unit that is still dangerous and capable of taking out others. It's pretty much the ultimate team player robot and I just don't see the problem with that because being a team player is a good thing in absolutely any team-based competition and in fact is something that is generally encouraged of folks!

And it's also a niche that needs to be filled considering you have one dude who just sits back away from the action and snipes at poo poo and one dude who does nothing but run into the action and sometimes they need a little love and support and bigger things to punch/shoot with.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Considering her rationale for switching Gunplas was that they had short and long range but no medium range in Team Try, it seems fine that she adopted the role she did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

EDIT: poo poo, isn't the entire concept of Kuroko's Basketball that the main protagonist is an exceptionally good team player?

Well, the thing there is that the earlier MOBA comparison isn't off. Fumina's role is 'support' in that support means that she is considered less valuable and important than her teammates. Her power needs to be given away and she needs to put herself at a disadvantage to power them up. This isn't a bad thing within the context of a real-world non-fictional team sport where someone is willing to forego glory in exchange for what the team needs.

It makes her a team player but it makes her a team player who, within the context of a show, is devaluing her own role in favor of improving her allies. It makes her robot less cool (and I like Core Boosters but they're basically just jets) in favor of making her allies more capable of doing cool things. This is not a bad thing but it's something shonen shows do to female characters all the time. They get stuck as 'healer' or 'supporter' or whatever and that means they get to do less cool and exciting things even if they technically contribute to victory.

It's basically the difference between reality and fiction. What Fumina does is fine in the reality sense (except insomuch as there's no reason so far why Winning Knuckle/Launcher needs to continue to be part of Winning Gundam now that trump card has been played) but from a fictional perspective it slots her firmly into the Girl Role where her job is to support and aid the male characters.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Not that most of this matters anyways, since in about nine days Gunpla Expo 2014 will show us the midseason upgrades.

I hope whatever succeeds the Build Burning will be as :psyduck: as hell at first glance as the Star Build Strike Plavsky Wing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Good episode. I like when robot punch other robot. Maybe next episode better?

New robot to punch.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

It makes her a team player but it makes her a team player who, within the context of a show, is devaluing her own role in favor of improving her allies.

Her role on the team is Support and Tactics, this involves helping her allies have a better chance of performing their own roles, you are a loving idiot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I bought robot, they should put robot in show and then robot can shoot.

Papew pappow!! :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Not that most of this matters anyways, since in about nine days Gunpla Expo 2014 will show us the midseason upgrades.

I hope whatever succeeds the Build Burning will be as :psyduck: as hell at first glance as the Star Build Strike Plavsky Wing.

I'm holding out hope for a combiner. I mean a combiner would devalue Yuuma and Fumina in favor of Sekai in the Ryusei/Rai/Aya sort of way but I really want a goddamn combiner Gundam.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm hoping for the return of kung fu Dom, personally. Paint it white like it's wearing a gi.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sharkopath posted:

Good episode. I like when robot punch other robot. Maybe next episode better?

New robot to punch.

Maybe. I heard the dude who built it used to box, so he might also punch things outside the robot.

Or he might not.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

How many episodes before Burning is broken in some way and Sei has to come teach Yuuma how to up his building game to repair it?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

Having her special secret trait be more or less "sacrifice herself to make her teammates not suck" is lame when she's clearly capable of more than that.

Not to mention that there's a bit of a disconnect from her stated reason for playing Gunpla Battle in the previous episode: she wanted to be good enough to take on and beat boys in what's still basically a male-dominated sport, like Lady, her idol.

So what does she do? She builds a Gunpla that makes her good enough to beat boys... by letting two other boys do all the heavy lifting for her while she picks off the weakest link in the team or the other token girl. :v:

I really hope that we can get some episodes dedicated to single characters so maybe we can get an explanation from her that reconciles these two things. Like have her meet up with Minato while out and about and the two of them talk and he asks her why she's letting Sekai and Yuuma drag her down when she's clearly has the potential to be better than either of them. And then have her give an answer that makes sense without just being an excuse for the writers to keep her stuck in "the Girl Role" as Imp calls it.

On an unrelated note, I hope Team Song Dynasty Vase gets popular enough for us to get an HGFC Rising Gundam and for them to churn out some more HGFC Nobells so that HLJ will finally be able to restock the drat things.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

nuru posted:

How many episodes before Burning is broken in some way and Sei has to come teach Yuuma how to up his building game to repair it?

Honestly this seemed like the episode for it, but nope gotta show off those Winning Gundam gimmicks (buy the toy).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Her role on the team is Support and Tactics, this involves helping her allies have a better chance of performing their own roles, you are a loving idiot.

Yes, it isn't an either/or thing. Fumina can help her allies and also do cool things herself. This is harder to do when her robot's special gimmick is "weaken myself to make other people more powerful."

Fumina is a good pilot, a talented tactician, and seemingly an expert builder. Why is her super-secret gimmick "the other guys need my robot parts?"

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly this seemed like the episode for it, but nope gotta show off those Winning Gundam gimmicks (buy the toy).

I'm really curious to see the Winning Gundam toy honestly. It seems like it's going to be absurdly complex for an SD model.

W.T. Fits posted:

I really hope that we can get some episodes dedicated to single characters so maybe we can get an explanation from her that reconciles these two things. Like have her meet up with Minato while out and about and the two of them talk and he asks her why she's letting Sekai and Yuuma drag her down when she's clearly has the potential to be better than either of them. And then have her give an answer that makes sense without just being an excuse for the writers to keep her stuck in "the Girl Role" as Imp calls it

I'm really interested in see her meeting with the new lady Meijin at least.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its just a transformable suit SD form and flight mode. Its not going to have any of the gimmicks other than that. If it does have more gimmicks showing up then I could see them making one of those stand alone kits that brings all the winning gimmicks in one package.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its just a transformable suit SD form and flight mode. Its not going to have any of the gimmicks other than that. If it does have more gimmicks showing up then I could see them making one of those stand alone kits that brings all the winning gimmicks in one package.

That's a little sad but you're right, it doesn't really make sense they'd make it work that way. They can just sell Winning Knuckle/Launcher add-on parts.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I bought robot, they should put robot in show and then robot can shoot.

Papew pappow!! :)

Hey Sharkopath, tell us more about how Aida is a great character despite doing nothing but whine about how she can't do anything in-between being rescued by Bellri.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Also make a bunch of posts at once because you're an idiot who doesn't know how to say what they mean the first time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NotALizardman posted:

Hey Sharkopath, tell us more about how Aida is a great character despite doing nothing but whine about how she can't do anything in-between being rescued by Bellri.

You sound salty, friend.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Okay you all need a time out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Now for the love of god, please stop posting about other people posting. That goes for you "oh look at you, you're such a bad poster :smug:" types too!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Regarding damage, you're forgetting that the Damage Level seems to be set to "B" for all these matches. Considering Yuuma fried Ral's R35 and it came away with just a few blast smudges, I don't think the BBG's likely to actually break anytime soon.

That said, I'm hoping the second-round championship tournament moves the Damage Level up to "A" as a kind of "sudden-death, bring your A-Game" thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Regarding damage, you're forgetting that the Damage Level seems to be set to "B" for all these matches. Considering Yuuma fried Ral's R35 and it came away with just a few blast smudges, I don't think the BBG's likely to actually break anytime soon.

That said, I'm hoping the second-round championship tournament moves the Damage Level up to "A" as a kind of "sudden-death, bring your A-Game" thing.

Yuuma didn't fry Ral's R35, he just made it drop its shield. Ral even has a "only five people ever have made me do that" thing because he's (as the ending of BF shows) absurdly strong.

We've seen some model damage Level B stuff where they look damaged but not like, utterly wrecked.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 13, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if Ez-8 team will show up in any significant capacity again. They show up in the opening, but it wouldn't be the first time Build Fighters opening massively misrepresent things. In the episode proper they were mostly treated like a disposable opponent-of-the-week but the same thing happened with Mihoshi/Kirara and she remained relevant for the show's entire run.

...Mostly I wish they had more of a personality in general.

And the coach's design keeps throwing me off. Is he supposed to be a reference to something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

And the coach's design keeps throwing me off. Is he supposed to be a reference to something?

I'm pretty sure he has to be, I just have no idea what it is. He looks super familiar but I'm not sure who.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure he has to be, I just have no idea what it is. He looks super familiar but I'm not sure who.

Maybe he's a cameo from Dragonar instead of Gundam?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

It's an incredibly distinctive design for a side character, so I'd be rather surprised if it wasn't a reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Maybe he's a cameo from Dragonar instead of Gundam?

That is what I originally thought but he doesn't look like any of the three Dragonar guys or Malliot. I'd have to look and see what their instructor looked like, it might be that guy.

• Locked thread