Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

KKKlean Energy posted:

Or we could just hire the staff directly. We could hire them on a performance-based reward contract, maybe something like "you get a percentage of total tax take from corporations, especially accountancy firms" basis.

Tax farming ends up with the tax authorities screwing over the weakest to maximise their tax takings and ignoring the rich, if they themselves aren't the rich, which they tend to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

KKKlean Energy posted:

Or we could just hire the staff directly. We could hire them on a performance-based reward contract, maybe something like "you get a percentage of total tax take from corporations, especially accountancy firms" basis.

Some tax authorities in Africa do this - it can lead to corruption, especially in the run up to Christmas time.

serious gaylord posted:

Didnt 2 of the people responsible for some of the new corporate taxation laws leave and go and work for one of the big firms earlier this year? I remember a bit of a hoo ha about it.

Correct.

Wolfsbane posted:

What sort of understanding of the law do you think they're going to get from talking to KPMG and PwC? I'm not sure that the things they think need fixing bear much resemblance to the things you or I might think need fixing.

Well, taking the CFO of Starbucks at his word, they have a global tax rate of 33%. Yet the Public Accounts Committee doesn't understand enough about (i) UK corporation tax to understand how a company may legitimately not be paying any tax* in the UK, (ii) OECD principles to understand Starbucks' obligation to charge arm's length prices for internal goods or services, or (iii) GAAP differences to understand why numbers might be different under US and UK GAAPs. It just leads to showboating and no informed analysis, insight or criticism - ultimately it's a missed opportunity.

* That's corporation tax only, of course. The current estimate by PwC is businesses pay £2.8 in other taxes for every £1 in CT.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 12, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo that Telegraph front page.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Darth Walrus posted:

Holy poo poo that Telegraph front page.

Hard to believe that he's the same age as the youngest soldier to die at the Somme. :( What a bloody mess.

Nice to see Rosetta making the front page.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
£200k in secondments from somewhere like PWC is probably about two employees for about three months, maybe a little longer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Hard to believe that he's the same age as the youngest soldier to die at the Somme. :( What a bloody mess.

And, of course, the best way to 'honour' their deaths is with a great big photo-op to advertise for the CCF. :rolleyes:

Seriously, guys, I know Remembrance Day has been getting increasingly sleazy in its whitewashing and glorification of war, but this is how you're going to cap off your ceremony? Really?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That is a very stirring picture.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
A friend of mine wrote this last year during the poppy shenanigans, I think it's really good.

http://hammerandseagull.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/the-old-lie-and-the-cult-of-remembrance/

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
this now seems more respectful than some of the actual poo poo that is happening now

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

JFairfax posted:

this now seems more respectful than some of the actual poo poo that is happening now

Was at a primary school Remembrance Day assembly yesterday and the HT actually said "ARE FREEDUMS" referring to the reason for The First World War. I'm fairly certain she was reading from a script or notes by the DFE or Legion.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

JFairfax posted:

I remember when the Amiga Power/Royal British Legion/Cannon Fodder thing kicked off that noted transphobe Wings In Scotland (Aka Amiga Power editor Stuart Campbell) said that with it's remembrance garden and individual roll of honour of all of the names of the dead soldiers, Cannon Fodder was probably the most respectful and poignant depiction of war in a game ever.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Speaking about Scottish independence, apparently Yes voters are getting their revenge by voting for Judy Murray to win Strictly.

What the gently caress is wrong with the right-wing press. :negative:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TinTower posted:

Speaking about Scottish independence, apparently Yes voters are getting their revenge by voting for Judy Murray to win Strictly.

What the gently caress is wrong with the right-wing press. :negative:

first you win the tv dancing contests then you get the power then you get the FREEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOM

edit: also, happy days are here again because for the first time in five years, nominal wage growth (1.3%) has outstripped CPI inflation (1.2%). We're rich!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

thehustler posted:

I remember when the Amiga Power/Royal British Legion/Cannon Fodder thing kicked off that noted transphobe Wings In Scotland (Aka Amiga Power editor Stuart Campbell) said that with it's remembrance garden and individual roll of honour of all of the names of the dead soldiers, Cannon Fodder was probably the most respectful and poignant depiction of war in a game ever.

Given that it's pretty cynical and you get an ever increasing list of dead, it is definitely one of the most anti-war games ever made. Which explains why certain people take issue with it!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mister Adequate posted:

Given that it's pretty cynical and you get an ever increasing list of dead, it is definitely one of the most anti-war games ever made. Which explains why certain people take issue with it!
I seem to remember most of the outrage was over the theme music, because it clearly equates war with fun, thereby disrespecting millions. It was a pretty loving amazing game for it's time in terms of political statements. The bit between missions where people are queuing outside the recruitment office, right in front of the gravestones of all the guys you've lost was genius.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dame Vivienne in November's contender for 'most bourgie thing ever':
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/vivienne-westwood-advises-those-who-cant-afford-organic-food-to-eat-less-9856707.html?dkdk

Slavoj Zizek posted:

The exemplary figures of evil today are not ordinary consumers who pollute the environment and live in a violent world of disintegrating social links, but those who, while fully engaged in creating conditions for such universal devastation and pollution, buy their way out of their own activity, living in gated communities, eating organic food, taking holidays in wildlife preserves, and so on.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
Not fair, she was already October's with her complaints that food and clothing were too cheap.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
dame vivienne westwood should eat all of her organic food through a straw imo

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
She's right.

When eating the Rich, little and often is way more efficient than getting too bloated to catch them.

e: A meal of a thousand cuts.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Is it though? I mean here she is saying to not let the poor eat cake. That's progress that is.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
But Westwood refused to back down. "You’ve got all these processed foods, which is the main reason people are getting fat,” she continued. “They’re not actually good for you - they don’t give you strength, they give you weight."

This is correct.

Also to an extent she is right about clothes, clothes SHOULD cost a lot more than they do, and one of the reasons they don't is the fact that people make t-shirts jeans and everything else for pennies a day in sweatshops.

e/ also this is a pretty cool thing to have in your shop:

“There are signs in my shops that say ‘buy less, choose well, make it last. I agree, fashion is a terrible thing, it’s all about tempting to buy. But they should buy less.”

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 12, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

But Westwood refused to back down. "You’ve got all these processed foods, which is the main reason people are getting fat,” she continued. “They’re not actually good for you - they don’t give you strength, they give you weight."

This is correct.
I thought preservatives and food processing were one of the major reasons that stomach cancer rates have dropped so rapidly since their introduction.

Unprocessed fresh food can be great if you can wash and eat it straight from the garden, but there are a lot of molds that produce highly carcinogenic mycotoxins like aflatoxin.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm curious about which exact part of "processed" food (whatever that means) causes calories to turn directly into fat without ever being available for respiration.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Burqa King posted:

That is a very stirring picture.

Stirring what, exactly?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm curious about which exact part of "processed" food (whatever that means) causes calories to turn directly into fat without ever being available for respiration.

Many processed foods have lots of saturated fat or plenty of calories from carbs like sugar which provide the average sedentary person with far more calories than they need just for respiration and help them become a big fat number.

One morbidly obese child is a tragedy. Middlesbrough is a statistic.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JFairfax posted:

Many processed foods have lots of saturated fat or plenty of calories from carbs like sugar which provide the average sedentary person with far more calories than they need just for respiration and help them become a big fat number.

To which "eat less of that crap (and balance out your micros with cheap GM veg that is no different from organic as far as your gut cares)" would be a reasonable response.

The clothes thing? Fine. Meat? Yeah we definitely rely way too much on it and should cut back [for the sake of our environment, not because eating any at all is immediately bad for us as individuals]. Naive statements like this:

quote:

if there was a movement to produce more organic food and less of the horrible food, then organic food would obviously be a good value price, wouldn’t it?

and a refusal to acknowledge that maybe there are people who can barely afford enough food to keep their weight up as it is test my ability to believe she isn't just right by accident on the rest.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

if there was a movement to produce more organic food and less of the horrible food, then organic food would obviously be a good value price, wouldn’t it?
This assumes that 'organic' and 'horrible' are mutually exclusive.

There are a lot of things in organic farming that are bad, like having to use less selective pesticides in higher volumes (I'm not sure about UK legality, but nicotine sulfate is a popular one, because it comes from a plant and is therefore organic and natural) which can cause runoff and environmental damage. Being less land efficient is an issue too.

Ideally we could have self-contained aquaponic systems that could provide fresh food to local communities, they would be subsidized and non-hierarchical, and eliminate food deserts. There have already been a few projects in this area. For the moment though, making sure that people can actually afford to eat a variety of different foods that they enjoy and eliminating the necessity of food banks and the British Red Cross would be a good start.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Renaissance Robot posted:

and a refusal to acknowledge that maybe there are people who can barely afford enough food to keep their weight up as it is test my ability to believe she isn't just right by accident on the rest.

As well as people who can't afford much beyond terrible processed food, both in time and money.

Guavanaut posted:

Ideally we could have self-contained aquaponic systems that could provide fresh food to local communities, they would be subsidized and non-hierarchical, and eliminate food deserts. There have already been a few projects in this area. For the moment though, making sure that people can actually afford to eat a variety of different foods that they enjoy and eliminating the necessity of food banks and the British Red Cross would be a good start.

Was gonna say the above then this appeared.
I have heard of those warehouse sized Hydroponics farms, like that one in Japan that's in the spotlight currently.

Whats the costs like on that thing? I know it can pump out a lot of veg but the initial costs and the costs of running it weren't really talked about in what I've read.

I love the idea but there are some things that put me at a bit less than optimistic.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 13, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I have heard of those warehouse sized Hydroponics farms, like that one in Japan that's in the spotlight currently.

Whats the costs like on that thing? I know it can pump out a lot of veg but the initial costs and the costs of running it weren't really talked about in what I've read.

I love the idea but there are some things that put me at a bit less than optimistic.
Costs can vary quite a lot with climate. If you don't need to heat your growhouses and can pipe in sunlight using a parabolic dish and light pipes your costs are a lot lower. That would be good for sub-Saharan Africa if there was investment there, but isn't great for the UK.

With standard hydroponics you also need fertilizer input, but with the aquaponic setup you have fish or other river life, bacteria, and plants. They form a closed loop so the fish eat rotting plant bits and their poo poo provides fertilizer, so the main inputs after setup are light and human management. I'm sure there are unseen costs, but one of the projects that I've been following is Colorado Aquaponics, which set out with the aim of providing local food and jobs, targeting food deserts. http://www.coloradoaquaponics.com/

e: I realize that's not really a useful cost/acre or cost/ton of lettuce figure or whatever, but I don't know a good source for those. If anyone has some good comparisons I'd be interested though.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 13, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

KKKlean Energy posted:

I'll form a tax policy for free: Eat the rich

There we go

leftists say this a lot but they clearly have never thought it through. how will we eat the rich? sautee them? grill? frying?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sandwiches could prove problematic

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Farecoal posted:

leftists say this a lot but they clearly have never thought it through. how will we eat the rich? sautee them? grill? frying?

Depends on the kind of rich. Financial executives can be fried pretty much in their own oil, but rural toffs need to be chargrilled really.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

JFairfax posted:

Sandwiches could prove problematic

The revolution tears itself apart. The cause? Straight or diagonal cut.

Also I think if Red Ed has to say "I can totes be PM you guys, take me seriously", he's a lost cause.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Farecoal posted:

We clearly need rich people flavour Monster Munch.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Raw.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Farecoal posted:

Douse them in extra hot Encona after burning them a bit over an open fire. Works well for squirrel!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
tbh im npt so into eating the rich themselves, for they seem to be gamey, old, and withered.

I want their pump, fleshy, bourgie children to cook and eat.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

In pies, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atSbk0vLuRw

quote:

How gratifying, for once to know, that those above will serve those down below!

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 13, 2014

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

JFairfax posted:

One morbidly obese child is a tragedy. Middlesbrough is a statistic.

A Banana has almost as much sugar as a Mars Bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dapper Laughs cancelled his tour and isn't on TV any more, retires the 'character'.

So not everything is poo poo all the time after all.

• Locked thread