Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For those of us who loved the Daniel Faust series, Craig Schaefer just released a new epic fantasy book today.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PA0T0W4

quote:

Pope Benignus is dying, and the man who takes his throne will hold the reins of an empire. Conspiracies swirl like shadows around Livia, the pope's daughter, who refuses to be anyone's pawn: chasing the whispers of a deadly coup, she vows to expose the truth and save her church from disaster. Livia has secrets of her own, though, and one wrong move could cost her life and her soul.

Felix is the scion of a dying merchant house, a man with just one chance to save his family and the woman he loves. His last hope lies in the snowbound hell of Winter's Reach, a former prison colony turned "free city" under a brutal tyrant's reign.

Livia and Felix have never crossed paths, but they've both been snared in a far greater web than they can imagine. They -- along with a pair of veteran bounty hunters, an exiled politician, and a sadistic coven of witches -- are cogs in one man's apocalyptic plan for revenge. A plan which, if it succeeds, will leave an entire nation in flames.

Sounds like it might be cool. It's 4.99 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I'm re-reading The Quantum Thief and remembering just how brilliant this book is. I skim read it the first time and, while I liked it, I definitely missed bits. This time round I'm taking it luxuriously slowly and just marveling at how many cool ideas and interesting things are in every single page. The whole gevulot system is just brilliant, and so incredibly thought out and consistent. Probably my favorite single idea in SF, bar Richard Morgan's handling of consciousness on a hard drive.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

UncleSmoothie posted:

I'm a casual and infrequent visitor to this thread so apologies if I'm making a terribly obvious recommendation: I just finished Trucksong and it's just the most remarkable bit of recent sci-fi I've read in ages. The story of a boy in post-apocalyptic Australia trying to track down the sentient truck who stole his girl. Beautifully written and full of clever, unique world-building.

loving trucks, stealing our loving women.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
"Beholder's Eye", by Julie E. Czerneda. This is the best sci-fi book about A.I. that I've ever read. This is a book set in the future and brings in some intriguing thoughts about the nature of sentience & the nature of existence, most notably the introduction of Ersh, a sentient female superbeing that exists in the space 'between' computers.

e: grammar

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 11, 2014

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

The Supreme Court posted:

I'm re-reading The Quantum Thief and remembering just how brilliant this book is. I skim read it the first time and, while I liked it, I definitely missed bits. This time round I'm taking it luxuriously slowly and just marveling at how many cool ideas and interesting things are in every single page. The whole gevulot system is just brilliant, and so incredibly thought out and consistent. Probably my favorite single idea in SF, bar Richard Morgan's handling of consciousness on a hard drive.

it really was a fantastic book, made the disappointment of the third book so much worse.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I know it's John C Wright and he's a loving weirdo in real life but I really must recommend The Golden Age if you liked The Quantum Thief. It is also a sci-fi series set in a post-scarcity Solar society and is also incredibly idea dense. Even more dense than TQT, I think - though it is weaker in other areas. It has a bit of right wing silliness in book 2 but it doesn't really overshadow the merits of the series and the first book is amazing.

Goodreads recommended this book Three Parts Dead to me because I read City of Stairs. I hadn't heard of it but bought it and am about 1/4 of the way through. It's quite similar to City of Stairs in setting. It's in a world where Gods have been forced out of some areas of the world through human-centric revolutionaries, although they still rule parts. The major schism is between those who maintain worshiping gods and those who began using magic absent the involvement of gods and carved out their own polities. The gods are basically investment bankers who loan certain types of power and borrow certain others and also receive some from worship. If their agreements to lend power ever exceed what they receive they have an aneurysm and disperse, since they have too many conflicting demands to properly function. The protagonist's sect are essentially lawyers who exploit contracts for their power. The main mystery so far is that one of the only gods that still exists on one of the continents has died. They assume it's due to illiquidity on his part, but it's a mystery. Technology is similar to City of Stairs - some rather modern parts melded in with others, although magic or godpower is used pervasively to power contraptions rather than physical principles.

So far the prose is decent and the setting is quite interesting and original.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Max Gladstone! I haven't read Three Parts Dead yet but he's a really nice guy - not that this necessarily speaks to good or bad writing, but people whose taste I generally follow like him.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

andrew smash posted:

it really was a fantastic book, made the disappointment of the third book so much worse.

What was wrong with the third book? I started re-reading the first to remind myself what happened so I could finally read the second novel, which has been sitting on my shelf for ages.

Three Parts Dead sounds great! I'll add the Golden Age to my list too, thanks.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

The Supreme Court posted:

What was wrong with the third book? I started re-reading the first to remind myself what happened so I could finally read the second novel, which has been sitting on my shelf for ages.

Read it and find out. A fair number of goons seemed to really like it but i thought that compared to the first two (especially the first) it was just not on the same level.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I didn't hate it but I had some problems with it. I felt like the plot was too compressed. The core events were fine, but a bit more explanation and character development would have made things a lot smoother. It didn't ruin the series or anything, though.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Neurosis posted:

Goodreads recommended this book Three Parts Dead to me because I read City of Stairs. I hadn't heard of it but bought it and am about 1/4 of the way through. It's quite similar to City of Stairs in setting. It's in a world where Gods have been forced out of some areas of the world through human-centric revolutionaries, although they still rule parts. The major schism is between those who maintain worshiping gods and those who began using magic absent the involvement of gods and carved out their own polities. The gods are basically investment bankers who loan certain types of power and borrow certain others and also receive some from worship. If their agreements to lend power ever exceed what they receive they have an aneurysm and disperse, since they have too many conflicting demands to properly function. The protagonist's sect are essentially lawyers who exploit contracts for their power. The main mystery so far is that one of the only gods that still exists on one of the continents has died. They assume it's due to illiquidity on his part, but it's a mystery. Technology is similar to City of Stairs - some rather modern parts melded in with others, although magic or godpower is used pervasively to power contraptions rather than physical principles.

This sounds engrossing & right up my alley, so I'll add it to my 'list of books to read'. It reminds me of A.C. Crispin's "Voices of Chaos" book in the StarBridge series.

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 11, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

Max Gladstone! I haven't read Three Parts Dead yet but he's a really nice guy - not that this necessarily speaks to good or bad writing, but people whose taste I generally follow like him.

Yeah, he's awesome and that series is awesome. I had a great twitter conversation with him a few weeks ago that started with the iTunes logo change and ended with Thomas Dolby saving us from a grim future where Terminators crunch the slopes of mountains of Bose-wearing skulls.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For those of us who loved the Daniel Faust series, Craig Schaefer just released a new epic fantasy book today.

Picking this up right away. Craig Schaefer is also fantastic, despite his output being weirdly high.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

andrew smash posted:

Read it and find out. A fair number of goons seemed to really like it but i thought that compared to the first two (especially the first) it was just not on the same level.
Notch cubes! I died a little bit inside every time I read that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The first three characters for SyFy's The Magicians tv series have been cast!

Eliot - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2082776/ (looks a bit too pretty - wish they could've cast Kieran Culkin, although he's like 32 so... oh gently caress, RORY Culkin would be perfect!!!!)
Penny - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3231715/ (not bad - although this guy could make a good Quentin too)
Julia - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1886524/

Can't wait to see who they pick for Quentin, Alice, Janet and most importantly, Josh.

Oh and if Kevin Kline isn't cast as Dean Fogg then gently caress SyFy forever :argh:

Oh and the rest of the Rocinante's crew for The Expanse has also been cast: http://deadline.com/2014/10/dominique-tipper-wes-chatham-cast-the-expanse-syfy-space-drama-series-1201266828/

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 12, 2014

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Foxglove Summer comes out tomorrow in the UK. Does anyone know how to buy ebooks on the UK amazon store without a UK credit card or address?

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
^^^ didn't know you'd posted that when I did this.

Look what I got today:

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

There's a UFO on the cover I'm so reading into that. I'm so jealous!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

regularizer posted:

Foxglove Summer comes out tomorrow in the UK. Does anyone know how to buy ebooks on the UK amazon store without a UK credit card or address?

1. Change your country settings address to 10 Downing Street under "Manage Content and Devices" on amazon.com.
2. Purchase ebook.
3. Download ebook.
4. Change your address back to whatever it was before.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

regularizer posted:

There's a UFO on the cover I'm so reading into that. I'm so jealous!

If it makes you feel any better, I bought it for my wife. So you'll be reading it before me most likely.

Got it signed for her though.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Bout to finish up Tehanu after reading the Earthsea books, so I'm looking for a recommendation on what I should read next. Something fantasy, preferably standalone. I was thinking about finally breaking into Forge of Darkness, but I think I'd rather wait until we're closer to the release of Fall of Light. So yeah, fire away.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If you're waiting for Fall of Light, you may be waiting for quite a while longer. Last time I checked the book is set to come out September 2015, and it's not the first or second release window I've seen named for the book either.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

apophenium posted:

Bout to finish up Tehanu after reading the Earthsea books, so I'm looking for a recommendation on what I should read next. Something fantasy, preferably standalone. I was thinking about finally breaking into Forge of Darkness, but I think I'd rather wait until we're closer to the release of Fall of Light. So yeah, fire away.

Any reason you're not going for Tales of Earthsea and The Other Wind? If you're finishing Tehanu, might as well go whole hog.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Blog Free or Die posted:

Any reason you're not going for Tales of Earthsea and The Other Wind? If you're finishing Tehanu, might as well go whole hog.

Oh, I didn't know there were more. :downs: A friend lent me a collection of the first four and I assumed that was all she wrote. I guess I'll just finish it all up, then.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Not sure if anybody else has read Proxima by Stephen Baxter but it's getting a sequel:
http://www.amazon.ca/Ultima-Stephen-Baxter-ebook/dp/B00OQRL5JI/ref=pd_ys_ir_kinc_21

I enjoyed the original; it felt a little disjointed at times but I'm glad there's going to be more worldbuilding there.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Jack2142 posted:

Also read another Amazon self published book series Terms of Enlistment and its sequel whose name escapes me atm. Another simple entertaining albiet derivative story that reminded me alot of Starship Troopers and the Forever War, the good parts of them.
There are no decent characters in these books. This is mostly due to the author's odd choice to never give any of his characters first names (including the love interest), let alone anything approaching characterization. So when, come the second book, the author actually tries to inject some emotional beats he fails utterly, for obvious reason. It's pretty awful.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

Also read another Amazon self published book series Terms of Enlistment and its sequel whose name escapes me atm. Another simple entertaining albiet derivative story that reminded me alot of Starship Troopers and the Forever War, the good parts of them.

If you haven't already, try Poor Man's Fight by Elliott Kay. It was suggested to me as being like Terms of Enlistment - and it is, to the point that I sometimes have trouble remembering which story is which (that may be a bad thing). It also has a sequel, Rich Man's War.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Is Shadows of the Apt any good? I've exhausted most other epic fantasy series and it just popped up on my amazon recommendations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

adamarama posted:

Is Shadows of the Apt any good? I've exhausted most other epic fantasy series and it just popped up on my amazon recommendations.
I found it completely unreadable (it was like the output of some sort of machine translation program passed back and forth between a bunch of languages), but lots of goons apparently like it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

adamarama posted:

It's fun and imaginative but pulpy (it very clearly developed out of the author's RPG campaign world) and the books vary a bit in quality. If you like steampunk settings and non-traditional fantasy it's worth trying, but don't expect literature.

I'd recommend it most strongly for people who've read themselves sick of generic orcs and elves fantasy pulp and want to read fantasy pulp with a more innovative setting.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 17, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

andrew smash posted:

The background parts own, the Sobornost own. The zoku settings just don't have the same zip as the Oubliette, Sirr, or even the Oubliette's mini-zoku.

Also part of the fun in the previous books was Jean's heist setups, and those go a lot faster here.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The background parts own, the Sobornost own. The zoku settings just don't have the same zip as the Oubliette, Sirr, or even the Oubliette's mini-zoku.

Also part of the fun in the previous books was Jean's heist setups, and those go a lot faster here.

The best thing about the third book was the sobornost. Pellegrini (after isidore, maybe) is probably the most net-good-for-humanity power player in the series and i enjoyed seeing her come out on top.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Ancillary Sword seems to be as much of a slog as the first book, if not more so. I've put it down to read two other books since I bought it. Might not bother picking it up again.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So how is this?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Haven't had the chance to read it yet, but it's next on my list. Almost done with the book I am working through now :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wonder if he thinks the title is less unimaginative and generic because he spelled revenge funny.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cardiovorax posted:

I wonder if he thinks the title is less unimaginative and generic because he spelled revenge funny.

If you actually read the book, you can see there's some good reasons for using that word. (The world is an alt-history fantasy, where a skewed version of the Holy Roman Empire seems to have recently conquered all of Europe, and France ( :psyduck: ) fought to the bitter end while Italy welcomed them with open arms. So there might be some actual French revenge involved somewhere).

I'm a little less than halfway done with it, but I'm enjoying it so far. It's more complex and thoughtful than his Daniel Faust books, and has a much larger cast.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
French geopolitical revenge, no less.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kesper North posted:

France ( :psyduck: ) fought to the bitter end

Do you know anything about the history of France or is this just 'cheese eating surrender monkey' goonery?

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revanchism

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

fritz posted:

Do you know anything about the history of France or is this just 'cheese eating surrender monkey' goonery?

I think the :psyduck: was in regards to the HRE somehow kicking in France's poo poo without bankrupting itself 20 times over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

fritz posted:

Force of habit, sorry. Thank you for linking this, that certainly explains the series title.