Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I'm assuming it will be quite similar, like host chooses what courses they use, and non-DLC people will be barred out if they choose DLC.

Unrelated, Germany does cool names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

Can I still be Link with people who don't have the DLC?

People won't be allowed to play online until they update to whatever version comes out with the DLC.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The first DLC comes out in like 4 days guys!!! :dance: I'm so pumped for new tracks!

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Macaluso posted:

The first DLC comes out in like 4 days guys!!! :dance: I'm so pumped for new tracks!

I am surprised that there is not more excitement.

I myself really enjoyed MarioKart 8 and I am hella excited for new tracks. Characters I am not really one way or the other but new tracks? Hell yes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

insidius posted:

I myself really enjoyed MarioKart 8 and I am hella excited for new tracks. Characters I am not really one way or the other but new tracks? Hell yes.

I am so stoked to play on that Zelda themed track.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

insidius posted:

I'm super excited, there's just nothing really to say about it until it comes out.

Speaking of, I'll :f5: the Goonvitational once it comes out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Super excited myself too, I for some reason thought it was coming out tomorrow though v:v:v

Just not much to say, watched a lap of the new tracks then closed the windows as I want it to kinda be a surprise and all.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I'm super excited and I only played Mario Kart 8 like three times around launch and haven't touched it since. Probably has to do with my F-Zero fanboyism.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm not sure which I'm more excited about, being able to race as Link or being able to drive the Blue Falcon in Mute City.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm not sure which I'm more excited about, being able to race as Link or being able to drive the Blue Falcon in Mute City.

Obviously the answer is being able to race as Link in the Blue Falcon on Mute City.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Obviously the answer is being able to race as Link in the Blue Falcon on Mute City.

Hopefully it's a competitive combo!

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Starhawk64 posted:

Hopefully it's a competitive combo!

Naaah, the Blue Falcon and Mute City would never fit together.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The T posted:

Naaah, the Blue Falcon and Mute City would never fit together.

Then I guess Link, the Master Cycle, and the Hryule track won't fit together either then. :v:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Starhawk64 posted:

Then I guess Link, the Master Cycle, and the Hryule track won't fit together either then. :v:

That is all you're going to see on Thursday night so yeah I'd say they go together.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

That is all you're going to see on Thursday night so yeah I'd say they go together.

An endless sea of Links riding Master Cycles and Blue Falcons, as far as the eye can see. :eyepop:

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MJm7aLLrMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53KpSKm4eHM

In case you somehow forgot about Manly Mario.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I just recently noticed that you can pick which trick animation you do when you press jump as you go over a jump, by holding the stick in a particular direction. (I don't think this is a secret.) I'm wondering if there's any reason to prefer one over the other though. Like maybe holding left to do a left spin trick would be helpful if there's something to the right of you.

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013
I don't think there's any beneficial reason to choose between them but when I found out about choosing flips and spins, I started alternating between frontflips and backflips because I don't think spins look as cool.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Have any of the previews revealed what stats the new characters/vehicles are gonna have? Would love to play as Link but if he's not a heavy-type then it's not worth it. :(

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

pokeyman posted:

I just recently noticed that you can pick which trick animation you do when you press jump as you go over a jump, by holding the stick in a particular direction. (I don't think this is a secret.) I'm wondering if there's any reason to prefer one over the other though. Like maybe holding left to do a left spin trick would be helpful if there's something to the right of you.

You can use left or right-tilted tricks to shimmy just a bit in the chosen direction as you leave the ramp, which can help a little bit in choosing your line, but obviously doesn't give any major advantage. I do have a feeling that using up (front flip) puts you on the ground sooner than the other tricks, which might be preferable for non-kite ramps (isn't ground travel faster unless you're diving with a kite?) but this is probably delving into time attack sperg 0.001-second savings territory, if it even helps at all.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Honestly hope Nintendo just makes a straight up Nintendo Kart after the DLC is out. All of this looks fantastic.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
DLC comes out tomorrow guys I hope you all remembered today was dump your girlfriends divorce your wives and quit your jobs day.

I'm most looking forward to Wario's Goldmine, that was one of my favourite courses from Mario Kart Wii. I don't really understand why they put a third Rainbow Road into the game and such an old boring one too that doesn't seem like it was necessary. Similarly I don't like tanooki mario or cat peach. I would have liked to see a few more playable mario enemies instead.

Why the heck isn't there a captain falcon for the blue falcon?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Until the DLC comes out that you can play as Isabelle, is there any reason to not play as Roy?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

Until the DLC comes out that you can play as Isabelle, is there any reason to not play as Roy?

Wario

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I recently played Mario Kart 7 and was disappointed to see SNES Rainbow Road "wasted" on a portable title.

Thrilled to see it back, it is absolutely INSANE on MK7. No guardrails, and a brutal double thwomp path that, if you don't have great timing, requires you to hop over an abyss just to pass.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

speaking of rainbow road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVVSDpWuKdI&t=375s

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
My body is Reggie for the Links on motorcycles. He seems like he is oversized on karts so hopefully he's a heavy.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

_Endgame_ posted:

My body is Reggie for the Links on motorcycles. He seems like he is oversized on karts so hopefully he's a heavy.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that he's Cruiser weight, like Rosalina.
It'll be nice to have what looks like another inside drift bike, although it'll probably have the same stats as the other 4.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Any chance we're lucky enough to be getting the DLC at midnight? Or is it looking like it'll hit with the noon-ish eshop update tomorrow?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

Any chance we're lucky enough to be getting the DLC at midnight? Or is it looking like it'll hit with the noon-ish eshop update tomorrow?

It'll hit at noon EST. Or judging by the Hyrule Warriors DLC last month, more like sometime between 12 and 1.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Regy Rusty posted:

It'll hit at noon EST. Or judging by the Hyrule Warriors DLC last month, more like sometime between 12 and 1.

Well, I'll have time for a couple races before work then.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Will the DLC be released on the 13th in Australia or will we have to wait until tomorrow when everyone else gets it?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Nintendo needs to do this but with Mario Kart 8. I don't care if the race is 10 minutes, I'd love a race which goes across every Rainbow Road! Just make each map "one lap" and duct-tape them all together!

Eagerly awaiting Mario Kart 8 DLC. I know it probably won't hit at midnight but we can hope right?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Mad Katter posted:

Will the DLC be released on the 13th in Australia or will we have to wait until tomorrow when everyone else gets it?

Spectacle Rock posted:

Eagerly awaiting Mario Kart 8 DLC. I know it probably won't hit at midnight but we can hope right?
Look at the bottom of this page:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp
There's a network maintenance period scheduled for midnight - 1AM PT for Mario Kart 8 only. I'd say that's some pretty good evidence that's when the DLC will hit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

PrBacterio posted:

Look at the bottom of this page:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp
There's a network maintenance period scheduled for midnight - 1AM PT for Mario Kart 8 only. I'd say that's some pretty good evidence that's when the DLC will hit.

I saw it update on my console at midnight GMT, but unfortunately it's not unlocked. Isn't PT 8 hours behind GMT?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I can't wait for the Animal Crossing track :dance:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I can't wait for the Animal Crossing track :dance:

Well uh I hope you're feeling patient...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Well uh I hope you're feeling patient...

I didn't mean like NOW. I know the Animal Crossing DLC isn't for several months

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Macaluso posted:

I didn't mean like NOW. I know the Animal Crossing DLC isn't for several months

It's in May, a little bit more than several unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I dunno if Nintendo spacing the DLC in that such a long time frame is either brilliant or stupid. Stupid because I want the content I paid for NOW, brilliant because it means I have something to look forward to and it helps increase the lifespan of the game.

• Locked thread