Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Any of you guys involved in running of a school or own your school/club/program? I was approached by a friend who is interested in potentially partnering up to open one since he is not happy where he teaches at currently. I have been involved in martial arts for 20 years and feel like I have seen plenty to know some potential trapfalls in dealing with a school, plus I run a small manufacturing company that was started by two partners. I have seen what happens when two partners no longer get along so I am very leery in that respect.

Just curious what were your experiences, what worked, what didn't work, things you would differently? Probably going to focus on Japanese Jujitsu, Brazilian Jiujitsu, and Judo for starting out with in terms of classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Rikthor posted:

Any of you guys involved in running of a school or own your school/club/program? I was approached by a friend who is interested in potentially partnering up to open one since he is not happy where he teaches at currently. I have been involved in martial arts for 20 years and feel like I have seen plenty to know some potential trapfalls in dealing with a school, plus I run a small manufacturing company that was started by two partners. I have seen what happens when two partners no longer get along so I am very leery in that respect.

Just curious what were your experiences, what worked, what didn't work, things you would differently? Probably going to focus on Japanese Jujitsu, Brazilian Jiujitsu, and Judo for starting out with in terms of classes.

I had a lot of business chats with my old instructor who was very successful growing his school(s). His primary advice what its just like any other small business and most gyms fail because they focus on the training and don't understand or neglect running the business. To quote: "If you ever want to quit jiu-jitsu, open a jiu-jitsu school". I think this is a common problem for potential entrepreneurs though, and you said you already run a small company so maybe not going to be a problem for you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Going to be a negative nancy and I just gonna say that joint ventures hardly ever work out. Family or friends. Best to keep that poo poo on a professional level honestly

Like if he wants to do everything and have you help him get things started and teach them by all means. But I'd say no to some kind of partnership

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. I mean, so many friendships I know have ended when the business either fails or becomes successfull but they eventually want to steer it to different directions anyway, which inevitably seems to happen. On any business. IT, marketing, modeling, make-up and cosmetics, personal training, whatver.

Best strategy to preserve friends is: no joint ventures with friends.

Best strategy to run the business: someone is boss #1 and makes all the tough choices, the other advices at most and #1 pays him/her money for it, if you wish to remain friends.

For partnerships the best thing seems to be to partner up with somene who you first meet through wanting to establish this business, instead of getting this crazy good idea with your best friend(s) and then going at it. Even family business always has the grand old man or lady who basically decides how to run things.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah if the business fails there's a ton of ensuing drama and if it's successful person A argues he does more work than person B because B is never around and therefore he deserves a bigger chunk of change

Which, leads to drama

It's clockwork literally with family or friends all around the world. The poo poo just doesn't work and even if it is successful someone is going To have to buy the other one out to get them the gently caress out at some point

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Rikthor posted:

I'm good friends with the guy who runs our school, and the majority of the stuff he does is business and marketing related. He networks like crazy, and is constantly in the process of making promos for the school, setting up demos, and also trying to become a distributor in NYC for the specialized equipment we use. Some students criticize him for being all business, but without his savvy we'd probably have much less than we do, and we're even buying our own dedicated space for the school soon.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can somebody open up MMA ground game for me a bit? A lot of matches get kinda stuck when the competitioners end up in guard, often the attacking dude just keeps on punching and will not even try to pass the guard and the match won't go anywhere for a while. Is this because of you getting the points from the judges when trying to pass ther guard would risk a submission? Also is this also because of the high level grappling, where the slightest posture change would also risk a submission, so both guys are just waiting for the other guy to do something more drastic?

Usually the guy on top is working really hard to maintain his posture and to keep his hips parallel to the guy on the bottom. Striking from the top here can actually be a dangerous game because if you do a lovely job of it you'll give the guard player a good grip on an arm or shoulder. The bottom guy can't work towards a sweep or a backtake until he can shuffle his hips away at an angle and/or break the posture of the top guy, and the top guy is really actively repositioning to stop the bottom guy getting the angle he needs and he's also very actively maintaining his posture so that he can safely strike. Gripping from the bottom of guard is a lot trickier in no-gi.

ManOfTheYear posted:

If you get stuck in a mount with MMA rules, it seems to be the end for a lot of guys. We practice with a gi on, so it's easier to pull the guy close to you either from the sleeve or lapel and then bridge your rear end to safety, so is it that much harder without the gi? If the dude is hitting a lot and hitting hard and you can't grasp his upper body it of course is a really lovely place to be, but still, are there any reliable tactics and techniques you guys use in this situation? These are probably really beginner questions, but I haven't done a lot of no-gi grappling, so it's kinda foreign territory to me.

Imagine you can't control his arms, and he's punching you. You can't use your own arms to escape because they're covering up your face to protect it from strikes, and without a sleeve the arm is way too slippery to grab, especially from an inferior position. So he has full control of his arms, you have no control of yours, and then mentally work through the gi escapes you're thinking of. There are plenty of mount escapes that work it's just that you're going to eat a bunch of massive face punches while you do it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BrainDance posted:

No one really denies that here. Taekwondo is a relatively modern fusion of different schools of Korean martial arts and some other stuff. The thing is, anything really traditional was wiped out during the Japanese occupation (they made it illegal to practice Korean martial arts. Or to do a lot of Korean anything.)

There is, though, a strong tendency of inventing poo poo and then calling it 'traditional Korean MA'. Kumdo's insistence on not being Japanese in origin and it's attempt at differentiating itself from kendo is a prime example.
Stupid stuff like banning the koshita on hakamas (in kumdo) doesn't help either. Then there's the whole Haedong Gumdo thing.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can somebody open up MMA ground game for me a bit? A lot of matches get kinda stuck when the competitioners end up in guard, often the attacking dude just keeps on punching and will not even try to pass the guard and the match won't go anywhere for a while. Is this because of you getting the points from the judges when trying to pass ther guard would risk a submission? Also is this also because of the high level grappling, where the slightest posture change would also risk a submission, so both guys are just waiting for the other guy to do something more drastic?

If you get stuck in a mount with MMA rules, it seems to be the end for a lot of guys. We practice with a gi on, so it's easier to pull the guy close to you either from the sleeve or lapel and then bridge your rear end to safety, so is it that much harder without the gi? If the dude is hitting a lot and hitting hard and you can't grasp his upper body it of course is a really lovely place to be, but still, are there any reliable tactics and techniques you guys use in this situation? These are probably really beginner questions, but I haven't done a lot of no-gi grappling, so it's kinda foreign territory to me.

Your phrasing is kind of strange, but it seems like you're referring to stuff in the gym rather than actual amateur/pro fights. In any case, the issue with guard is that the guy on bottom is generally trying to stop the guy on top from hitting him but also standing up. In a real amateur/pro fight, the ref will often stand both fighters up if they aren't active enough. Guard, in MMA is considered a neutral position, perhaps slightly advantageous to the guy on top while in Gi BJJ it's probably the opposite. But, in a fight if it were literally one guy hitting from guard and the guy on bottom not being able successfully sweep or submit, yes the guy on top wins that round. If my hips are better than the guy on bottom I may actually opt to stay there and pound him, especially if I can move him to the cage. There is quite a bit of technique for ground and pound here, mostly dealing with breaking his grips and creating openings.

Escaping mount in MMA is tough against anyone you're not way better than. It involves a lot of bucking, and not covering your face,do you can push their knee or hip down or perhaps hook an arm. You will almost always expend a lot of energy and take a few hits, which is why it's so hard and many fights end here. I would say there is no truly reliable way to escape mount, except maybe giving up your back which honestly can be a better choice sometimes.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I might act (and choreograph) a street fight for a movie next month. Director wishes to see the wide spinning arms of every Asian MA movie ever made, dozens of arm blocks and sudden reversals of fortune, and of course jumping spinning ki a street fight. It's not going to be long. But streetfights rarely are. It's one vs one, not the one vs more which usually end up in people soccer kicking a target in fetal position.

So if you guys have something you think happens in a real fight, but never see in movies because they are choreographed by traditional martial artists and I don't maybe the public still think fighting looks like that, shoot, maybe we'll throw it in!

101% of the fights I've seen include the right hand haymaker. At least one person throws it, and at least once. So that has to get in. 50/50 the person who gets tagged falls on his rear end, same 50/50 the person who threw haymeker falls on top of him because the punch is thrown with, uhhh, balance not entirely a high priority. If neither happens they grapple for a moment... and then fall down anyway. Sometimes they stand up again, and the person who throws the best punch throws more of them, but usually the better "grappler" (the person who survive the first haymaker without falling on his rear end will usually win this phase) ends up in a dominant position and holds the other person down; the person in the bottom can't punch, but wriggles and trashes mightily, and they both shout threats and insults as friends move in to separate them.

AFAIK that's also exactly the stuff the director wants to see. There probably isn't even a winner, the camera just continues away while the guys struggle. Nothing flashy. No technical eastern influenced standup or whatever.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Just do a german suplex, add some SFX, and have the guy head burried on the street.

Just like in God Hand.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

Just do a german suplex, add some SFX, and have the guy head burried on the street.

Just like in God Hand.

There aren't enough quotes.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Flying armbar.

As real as it gets.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I knew I could trust goons, keep 'em coming

*scribbles on his notebook*

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I remember seeing a "making of" for the Mortal Kombat movie where the choreographer said something like "a good fight starts with a spinning elbow"

So don't start with a spinning elbow ....that movie was baaaaad

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Make sure to include the blind-bull-rush-into-lovely-arm-tackle.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Also considering the common and world famous "wild haymaker(s) thrown, both fall down with luckier puncher on top, grappling on half knees, the guy on top gets to both feet while throwing short, sloppy punches and kicks from a crouch meanwhile holding the other guys jacket, as the other guy covers and struggles to stand" -sequence.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How about the famous Bas Rutten(tm) Kick to De Groin, Bang Right Straight(tm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5fjmu4899c

Goddamn, Bas Rutten is the most entertaining fighter mans.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Re-enact this plz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4UUk0JFNhs

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KildarX posted:

How about the famous Bas Rutten(tm) Kick to De Groin, Bang Right Straight(tm)

Bang right cross, bang elbow, bang another elbow, also I can knee to de hed, bang bang, and if I'm really... break his arm like dis.

Too polished, man :v:

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Ligur posted:

Bang right cross, bang elbow, bang another elbow, also I can knee to de hed, bang bang, and if I'm really... break his arm like dis.

Too polished, man :v:

Kick to da pills, then chop in the neck. Position before submission.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If there isn't a triangle choke attempt countered by a powerbomb, I will be upset.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

There is, though, a strong tendency of inventing poo poo and then calling it 'traditional Korean MA'. Kumdo's insistence on not being Japanese in origin and it's attempt at differentiating itself from kendo is a prime example.
Stupid stuff like banning the koshita on hakamas (in kumdo) doesn't help either. Then there's the whole Haedong Gumdo thing.

I know basically nothing about kendo or kumdo. But I do know I was chewed out before for telling someone Kumdo is just "Korean for kendo."

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
"He try to kill me. So I got to return him de favor."

Hahahaha why haven't I watched those in years.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ligur posted:

If I had money and no responsibilities I would see if I couldn't train for a month with Bas and become El Guapo.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BrainDance posted:

I know basically nothing about kendo or kumdo. But I do know I was chewed out before for telling someone Kumdo is just "Korean for kendo."

Yeah. Except it's true:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumdo

There's a very strong revisionist streak going, even claiming that samurais originated in Korea.
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19178

I'm married to a Korean (whom I actually met at the kendo dojo) and despite her kendo experience, it's often hard to convince her that some of this stuff is pure fantasy.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

You know what the west needs? We need our own version of Kung Fu hustle, a mystical martial artist street fighter comedy.

Make it happen Ligur.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Got my first jiujits black eye tonight. Feels like I'm actually training again. :v: We're also having the Finnish Bjj Federation Championship in town this weekend so that should be fun.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Combining Ligur topics, I think I stopped a potential DV from happening on the street the other night. There was a girl half walking half running, looking over her shoulder and yelling 'stay the gently caress away from me' at some guy who was following after her like the loving terminator.

Yelling 'Oi!' And 'What's going on here?' at the dude made him stop and turn round. He decided to try and explain away his stalking rather than fighting though, and while we chatted she got away.

Helped that I had about a foot on him, but the mauy thai/cap training I've been doing definitely helped with my confidence and delivery. I was well ready to run away if he started getting punchy, but after my initial intervention some other people started harassing him too so he settled down pretty quickly.

How does the street fight start? With two dudes standing across the street yelling 'come at me!' or from some sneaky punch/king hit?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Goffer posted:

How does the street fight start? With two dudes standing across the street yelling 'come at me!' or from some sneaky punch/king hit?

code:
                             TYLER
                 This week, each of you has a homework
                 assignment.  You're going to go out
                 and start a fight with a total
                 stranger...
                       (pause, drooling blood)
                 You're going to start a fight... and
                 you're going to lose.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Goffer posted:

:D with prayers!

Indeed if you seem to be confident and at peace with the world (and a big dude to boot), most people won't rush you even when with a bad temper. Anyways some people walk towards you with their hands down, chest up, shouting "bitch, ur a gay, bitch come on, bitch" (or whatever fits your local culture) trying to psyche themselves up, and then punch you after you thump chests for a bit and they are psyched up enough (stupid level: pumped from 7/10 to 10/10, unleash attack!) unless you pull back and run for it first. Some sneaky assholes sort of turn away after shouting threats, and then sucker punch you anyway.

Anyone with their fists already up and shouting and coming at you are going to go for it, very probably, if you give them a chance.

I mean you should know. Look at their face and eyes. This should tell you. Staring them down or smiling, not going along with any shouting and chest thumping can diffuse the aggression as long as you don't go forward/backward. Like with animals which sniff out if you are scared. Can't tell? Hold your hands up palms open at your chest height, which isn't threatening and shouldn't trigger any aggressive responses unless they were going to attack anyway, that way at least you can catch or block their stupid haymaker. And if they are not total idiots they probably observe there are going to be some hands in the way and might not throw the first punch to begin with, but don't feel challenged enough for you to "make them" do it.

Or pull a gun and shoot anyone suspicious what do I know. The "fight" I remember most fondly was the one when I was down before I even saw the guys coming at me and had a group of dudes ragdolling me across the asphalt until I stumbled along the street with my jacket and pants torn to shreds. I was probably crying too.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yeah. Except it's true:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumdo

There's a very strong revisionist streak going, even claiming that samurais originated in Korea.
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19178

I'm married to a Korean (whom I actually met at the kendo dojo) and despite her kendo experience, it's often hard to convince her that some of this stuff is pure fantasy.

Yeah definitely, I believe it. It's not even close to the only thing like that in Korea.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What's the deal with these delusional Koreans??

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Second judo class in something like 6 month. Oh god how I missed you judo. Hope I can get back to it more seriously after xmas. I was pretty surprised by how much I didn't suck. I'm sure I'd be close to a similar skill level in a couple months.

Also, did anyone else notice that they are a better student after a hiatus? There's a few technique I really, really suck at and I think I was overthinking stuff and by coming back and feeling noobish again I managed to do the best o soto garis of my life

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KingColliwog posted:

Also, did anyone else notice that they are a better student after a hiatus? There's a few technique I really, really suck at and I think I was overthinking stuff and by coming back and feeling noobish again I managed to do the best o soto garis of my life

YES. I've taken a breaks from boxing or savate in the past to do something else, only to return more powerful than ever before.

It's usually like this:

Goes to first practice in months, thinking: :stonklol:
During drills or sparring: :magical:

I have no idea what this is about really. Maybe the break gives you a new perspective. Or you learned new skills you integrate to your old style. Of course you get tired faster doing a specific martial art you took a hiatus from, and your timing might be off but I distinctively remember taking a more or less half a year break from savate, doing a lot of boxing in between, and then randomly wandering to a class and just tooling people I wasn't tooling before. One of the older coaches came to tell me it's great I've been training so much and that my savate is good now and I was like "uhhhh..."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Rabhadh posted:

What's the deal with these delusional Koreans??

World War 2 happened. Hate of the Japanese is almost an institution in SE Asia

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Oh yeah that thing. Still though, attempting to claim everything Japanese is a weird step for nationalists to take

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I got an etiquette thing to ask. I'm training at my current gym and my contract is almost up, I wanna continue grappling at my current school, because I made some friends and the instructors are chill but I wanna go learn boxing, and the boxing gym I'm looking at has a nogi and BJJ school attached to it. Their terms would give me unlimited classes in both of these +boxing for only 20$ more(it would be much closer and a tiny bit cheaper.)

My question is: is it a faux paux to train at two schools at the same time? Should the instructors be cool with this? What if I want to start competing(I don't currently and the first school doesn't compete or have a team).

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

KildarX posted:

I got an etiquette thing to ask. I'm training at my current gym and my contract is almost up, I wanna continue grappling at my current school, because I made some friends and the instructors are chill but I wanna go learn boxing, and the boxing gym I'm looking at has a nogi and BJJ school attached to it. Their terms would give me unlimited classes in both of these +boxing for only 20$ more(it would be much closer and a tiny bit cheaper.)

My question is: is it a faux paux to train at two schools at the same time? Should the instructors be cool with this? What if I want to start competing(I don't currently and the first school doesn't compete or have a team).

Any decent instructor would probably encourage you to expand your knowledge beyond what you can learn at their club it shouldn't be a problem, besides its not like they won't still be getting your regular membership fee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

KildarX posted:

World War 2 happened. Hate of the Japanese is almost an institution in SE Asia

A bit before WWII but yeah, a pretty nasty occupation that included very deliberate attempts to eradicate Korean culture and enforce Japaneseness (including poo poo like forcibly changing everyone's last names)

Rabhadh posted:

Oh yeah that thing. Still though, attempting to claim everything Japanese is a weird step for nationalists to take

No no, if it's a good thing it was never Japanese, it was actually Korean.

Actually it was Chinese but w/e

• Locked thread