Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Politics will very much affect how I respect someone as a martial artist. He's either a great martial artist, or a great martial artist who's an rear end in a top hat. :shrug:

There was an interesting movie I saw a few years back called JCVD. It's about JCVD playing himself when a bank heist happens, and everyone is looking at him to do something but he's just like.... "Look, I'm just an actor. I can't do all of that poo poo." I probably got drunk near the end but it was pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Had a first for me at bjj this morning. After 7 years of training I choked a guy all the way out. It freaked me out. I had a collar choke from top half guard and he was resisting it pretty good. I felt like I had it deep but he wasn't tapping. Then he started making gurgling noises and I was like oh poo poo. I let it go right away and raised his legs up. He was snoring hard and then woke up and gave me a funny look. Like I said it freaked me out for a little bit.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

KildarX posted:

Well... maybe not the unemployed. I can't find a school from karate to boxing to BJJ around here for less than 150$ a month.

Have you looked at Judo? My judo training has cost me (depending on where I was): Nothing, $150/year, or $40 a month.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Comrade_Robot posted:

Have you looked at Judo? My judo training has cost me (depending on where I was): Nothing, $150/year, or $40 a month.

As far as I can tell in Atlanta you only have Olympic/Competition level stuff with big time instructors here or karate/tkd strip mall stuff. Nothing near as cheap as what you got.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 8, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ch3cooh posted:

Had a first for me at bjj this morning. After 7 years of training I choked a guy all the way out. It freaked me out. I had a collar choke from top half guard and he was resisting it pretty good. I felt like I had it deep but he wasn't tapping. Then he started making gurgling noises and I was like oh poo poo. I let it go right away and raised his legs up. He was snoring hard and then woke up and gave me a funny look. Like I said it freaked me out for a little bit.

Why is raising their legs a done thing? New to bjj here.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ICHIBAHN posted:

Get blood back into their brain.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

Raising the legs and getting their mouthguard out are the two big things I've always been taught to do when a guy goes out.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

We should have an NYC goon grapplefest one of these days
I am willing to host if you guys are serious.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ligur posted:

I think martial arts shouldn't involve any politics or anything related towards any, say, religions leanings or your social status or whatever at all. The coolest thing about training MA's in a group is that the corporate CEO, the immigrant, the middle class salaryman man, the unemployed, the gay person, the disabled and the teenager and the pensioner all stand in the same line together doing the same things and what you are outside of the gym door doesn't mean anything at all.

Peace.

If you're the gay person you may not really feel comfortable standing in the same line together in front of the guy writing newspaper columns about how you should be stoned to death. Just a thought.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Look up Trendelenburg position. The go to for anyone with a low blood pressure, blood loss and or someone who passed out/fainted.

Arguably not effective but the first thing most people as well as first responders or medical folk will do

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

fatherdog posted:

If you're the gay person you may not really feel comfortable standing in the same line together in front of the guy writing newspaper columns about how you should be stoned to death. Just a thought.

Yes a thought. Obviously I mean within bounds of what we folks consider normal, not people whose beliefs require, say, killing others because they believe differently or are gay or perhaps female or whatever and are open about it.

Such a person wouldn't even stand in line with women or homosexuals at a martial arts club in the first place though. Radical loonies have their own clubs and train together with fellow loonies. You are not going to see many hard core ultra nationalists or ISIS fighters at your average BJJ or boxing gym.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ligur posted:

Yes a thought. Obviously I mean within bounds of what we folks consider normal, not people whose beliefs require, say, killing others because they believe differently or are gay or perhaps female or whatever and are open about it.

Such a person wouldn't even stand in line with women or homosexuals at a martial arts club in the first place though. Radical loonies have their own clubs and train together with fellow loonies. You are not going to see many hard core ultra nationalists or ISIS fighters at your average BJJ or boxing gym.

Well, except for Chuck Norris, apparently.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ch3cooh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJkYJSgdcK0
Are you this guy????

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Generally, if you're a racist/sexist/whatever you don't really get martial arts by disrespecting/underestimating a whole segment of potential opponents. Anyone with a belief like that is faulty in their spirit and will never achieve sword saint hood.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Syphilis Fish posted:

achieve sword saint hood.

Hmm---I wonder how does one achieve it? I'd love to be knighted but that seems unlikely in this day and age.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Syphilis Fish posted:

Generally, if you're a racist/sexist/whatever you don't really get martial arts by disrespecting/underestimating a whole segment of potential opponents. Anyone with a belief like that is faulty in their spirit and will never achieve sword saint hood.

This is why Nick Diaz will never achieve true greatness. Also because he gets confused when his opponents move laterally.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Syphilis Fish posted:

I might be mis-interpreting what you said.

If you're talking about under-estimating a person or group of people, then there is that famous story of Musashi bludgeoning a guy to death when he was 14, or the famous story of those women who cut off that guys head in ancient Greece. I can agree with that.

However, in the time I've been doing BJJ, I've seen a number of folks make passive racist remarks. There are also some rather famous examples too. There is frankly a number of people who are poor human beings in the moral sense. (Racist, nationalist, wife beater, etc..) However, their technical ability is still sound.

It reminds me of a saying to be very careful on who you choose as your teacher, because ultimately their habits will start rubbing off on you. Particularly if you train with them for a number of years.

Unfortunately martial arts have a pretty significant history of racism and nationalism.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

A good axiom I was told was to "leave it at the door". Obviously, blatant racism or homophobia shouldn't be accepted, but if anything, Martial Arts should teach you how and when to pick your fights. On the mat is not a good place to start an argument about touchy political subjects.

And I want to echo what Senor P said. Finding a gym to call your home is more than just about techniques or styles, but the culture of the gym.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Senor P. posted:

It reminds me of a saying to be very careful on who you choose as your teacher, because ultimately their habits will start rubbing off on you. Particularly if you train with them for a number of years.

But my Soke taught Chuck Norris. (Briefly. I think James Caan is his bigger Hollywood pupil)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Senor P. posted:

If you're talking about under-estimating a person or group of people, then there is that famous story of Musashi bludgeoning a guy to death when he was 14, or the famous story of those women who cut off that guys head in ancient Greece. I can agree with that.

However, in the time I've been doing BJJ, I've seen a number of folks make passive racist remarks. There are also some rather famous examples too. There is frankly a number of people who are poor human beings in the moral sense. (Racist, nationalist, wife beater, etc..) However, their technical ability is still sound.

Unfortunately martial arts have a pretty significant history of racism and nationalism.

What I appreciate a lot about practicing martial arts is that they've opened me up to meeting and getting to know people with wildly different political views than my own (though rarely racism, although the occasional "white men have problems too" type seeps through the cracks). I'm very liberal, and there are some people who are very conservative/libertarian leaning, and they'll post online non-stop about guns and dumocrats and that level of poo poo, but then you meet them in person and they're just the sweetest, most accommodating people ever. In my mind I always assumed that they existed, but assuming it and actually being involved with those types of people are two vastly different things. I feel like the worldview I have now is far more balanced than it was before, after having given in on some of their political points like gun control, while watching them concede to my own brand of politics on things like feminism.

Honestly, the worst personality trait I've had to deal with is elitism and arrogance, particularly when it comes to what people think HEMA should be. Some hate the tournament scene because they think it's turning longsword fencing into a sport, while others think drilling is worthless and you should only spar or vice versa, and all of these other very intense, very absolutist concepts that don't really help anyone or anything. They end up taking part in only one small facet of the art, which is fine and they're welcome to do it, but they're hurting themselves in the long run because their own arrogant notions stop them from trying new methods and improving their martial prowess. You'd be surprised how many people refuse to do test cutting with sharp swords because they'll never actually cut another person with a sword IRL, but that misses the point entirely.

Syphilis Fish posted:

Someday. :histdowns:

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 10, 2014

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Senor P. posted:

In certain cases that's definitely true. I've trained with dudes with white power tattoos and openly flaming homosexuals. I don't care what you believe or where you're from, don't be a dick in the gym and we'll get along OK. I deliberately try not to talk politics or religion in the gym for that reason I don't want anything someone says to hurt my zen like approach.

Once thing I did find surprising though is the sheer number of people who have a similar back ground to mine. Former fat kid who grew up in a lovely neighbourhood, used to casually use drugs and love to party a little too much. I know that describes a huge cross section of society but still - it's really common at least I've found to talk to people with really similar past life experiences.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Don't you feel a bit weird helping white power people learn how to fight?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Don't you feel a bit weird helping white power people learn how to fight?

Sorry I should've been more clear. He was "reformed" I guess. Had been to prison and was leaving that life.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I've never trained with any white power guys (never actually trained with any other white guys) but I trained with this taekwondo guanjangnim (he wanted to learn to teach teukgong moosul too) and the dude would not shut up every time I would drink coffee.

10am for a 4 hour practice, I'm drinking a coffee because I'm a grown man who can drink whatever I want and he turns to me, "do you think that gives you energy?" "I sure do" then he turns to everyone else in the class to give this speech like "I am older than you so let me tell you, you think coffee gives you energy but really it doesn't blah blah loving blah traditional this ki that."

Was such bullshit.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'd rather not help anyone learn who was going to attack someone on THE STREETS. Politics don't really factor into that. This conversation is dumb anyway and I have no idea what it's even about at this point. Chuck Norris would be a cool dude if he had better politics but he's a skilled martial artists regardless of them.

We merged our beginners class with the more advanced belts last week. Now I have a cold. loving sucks. I just wanna roll..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hgz-q76KtQ&t=117s

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What the gently caress are you guys on about

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

You know Chuck Norris picked some Korean name for his martial art and says it means universal way but it doesn't, chun kuk do is more like way of heaven but even then it sounds really strange in Korean, more like a cult name than a martial art name. And why did he pick a Korean name when he's not Korean at all?

He just kinda bugs me, and I don't think someone being a martial artist means they're immune to criticism or that I have to like them. But I think if your dojo or dojang is full of assholes you don't have to put up with it just because they share the same hobby as you. Find another place with people who aren't horrible, you're gonna be spending a lot of time there, no one wants to spend a bunch of time with terrible people.

But this is getting weird and hypothetical. I don't think anyone here really trains with a bunch of nazis. Getting along with people you disagree with is just a part of being an adult.

But you can still hate Chuck Norris I think.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I doubt anyone would really be interested in this at all, but it seemed like the right thing to share here and change up the topic.

My taekwondo dojang has a performance team. And they put on these sort of taekwondo plays. I uploaded an album of some pictures from the last show. A lot of it is more play than taekwondo but I dunno maybe it's interesting to someone.

:black101::black101::black101:This is authentic Korean Taekwondo!!!
:black101::black101::black101:

I got my gwanjangnim's permission to post these so it's all cool.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

That looks like it was a fun show. I'm guessing thats in Korea. Is this a normal thing for schools there?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I was a member of a UK BJJ group on Facebook for a bit, and more than one of the well-respected black belts are (openly) massively homophobic, to the point where if I was gay I'd never set foot in their school for fear of getting a proper kicking. There was one really prominent Brazilian black belt, and everyone just kind of excused his ranting with "Oh haha, you know what he's like!" - yeah, I do, sadly.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

BrainDance posted:

I doubt anyone would really be interested in this at all, but it seemed like the right thing to share here and change up the topic.

My taekwondo dojang has a performance team. And they put on these sort of taekwondo plays. I uploaded an album of some pictures from the last show. A lot of it is more play than taekwondo but I dunno maybe it's interesting to someone.

:black101::black101::black101:This is authentic Korean Taekwondo!!!
:black101::black101::black101:

I got my gwanjangnim's permission to post these so it's all cool.

That's awesome! It's like TKD musical theater

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

BrainDance posted:

I doubt anyone would really be interested in this at all

That's great stuff!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

hi liter posted:

That looks like it was a fun show. I'm guessing thats in Korea. Is this a normal thing for schools there?

Taekwondo demonstrations are very common with school kids, but whole performances like this are not (but still a hell of a lot more common than in America.) It would be more common I think, but most kids just never get to a high enough level to do something like this.

Still, I'd estimate over 50% of the kids I teach (white guy English teacher here) do or have done Taekwondo. And they all have shows and belt tests and stuff. On on average day I'll see over a dozen doboks in class.

The performance team at my dojang starts at highschool. But out of maybe 60 highschool students the performance team is about 10 of the highest level students. The guys in this performance though are all in college.

This is all separate from the schools though, so I dont know if they do performances at school. I'll have to ask.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

BrainDance posted:

Taekwondo demonstrations are very common with school kids, but whole performances like this are not (but still a hell of a lot more common than in America.) It would be more common I think, but most kids just never get to a high enough level to do something like this.

Still, I'd estimate over 50% of the kids I teach (white guy English teacher here) do or have done Taekwondo. And they all have shows and belt tests and stuff. On on average day I'll see over a dozen doboks in class.

The performance team at my dojang starts at highschool. But out of maybe 60 highschool students the performance team is about 10 of the highest level students. The guys in this performance though are all in college.

This is all separate from the schools though, so I dont know if they do performances at school. I'll have to ask.

Pretty sure the Korean government came up with the whole Taekwondo as a national sport thing and took techniques from tekkenyong or however the gently caress it's spelled, sporterised it and dumped money into making it a thing.

Also names for whatever the gently caress flavour of kung fu or mixed bullshit is kind of pointless black belt wanking. The first club I trained at was part of the Hapkido federation or whatever, but was actually called Hapkisool but got changed by "the master" some asian dude to "hapkishin" or something I took no notice of. The head instructor was a black belt in hapkido but taught us Muay Thai better than the first MT club I went to when I finished up there, the other instructor had a black belt in Judo and had wrestled and taught me to throw guys and wrestle better than the blue belts at the first BJJ club I turned up to.

We also used to glove up, head gear and mouth guard and spar 3 minute rounds and do boxing combinations. The traditional wrist locks and other poo poo was more of a final ten minutes of class.

I guess my point is, who cares what its called, do it if it works and isn't retarded.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Man. Judo is some black magic poo poo...

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

BlindSite posted:

Pretty sure the Korean government came up with the whole Taekwondo as a national sport thing and took techniques from tekkenyong or however the gently caress it's spelled, sporterised it and dumped money into making it a thing.

No one really denies that here. Taekwondo is a relatively modern fusion of different schools of Korean martial arts and some other stuff. The thing is, anything really traditional was wiped out during the Japanese occupation (they made it illegal to practice Korean martial arts. Or to do a lot of Korean anything.)

Taekkyeon still exists, I've seen some performances. But most of it was lost, and what people have today is mostly a reconstruction. It's also not really a whole complete martial art, but more of a traditional kicking dancing sort of thing. It's kind of hard to explain what it is really, but, it's not a martial art in the way taekwondo is.

But it totally did influence every Korean martial art. I mean, kicking, that's pretty much the Korean "thing".

Edit: I actually am not super into taekwondo, I just do it casually cuz my student is the Gwanjangnim so I get free lessons. I'm much more serious about Teukgong musool which is more similar to hapkido. BUT I translate and edit his essays for his doctorate in taekwondo, so I guess that's kinda like I have an education. His focus is on connecting the different branches of taekwondo so this comes up. Taekwondo was not invented by the Korean government as a sport just out of nowhere. Sport taekwondo was created after martial taekwondo already existed. Earlier martial taekwondo was created by the government but not out of thin air. After the war different martial art styles existed, and taekwondo was the attempt to bring them all together.

Whether this was a bad or good thing, I dunno that's up to you. But it wasn't some Korean government "let's make up our own martial art just so we can say we have one" thing. The schools that existed and merged to create taekwondo were legit Korean schools (with a whole lot of Japanese and Chinese influence for sure.)

Much later sport taekwondo became a thing because of the Olympics and stuff I guess (??). And performance taekwondo came after that. Taekwondo has tons of influences, taekkyeon is one of them, but taekkyeon and taekwondo are very, very different. Honestly from what I've seen of taekkyeon it might make a better "sport".

I probably don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about though. I haven't really studied this stuff.

So that broken foot thing from my class turned into a thing I gotta get surgery for. Going in tomorrow to get the surgery, gonna be stuck in the hospital for a couple days. So, I guess, next time you guys kick the poo poo out of somebody, do it for me.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 12, 2014

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Can somebody open up MMA ground game for me a bit? A lot of matches get kinda stuck when the competitioners end up in guard, often the attacking dude just keeps on punching and will not even try to pass the guard and the match won't go anywhere for a while. Is this because of you getting the points from the judges when trying to pass ther guard would risk a submission? Also is this also because of the high level grappling, where the slightest posture change would also risk a submission, so both guys are just waiting for the other guy to do something more drastic?

If you get stuck in a mount with MMA rules, it seems to be the end for a lot of guys. We practice with a gi on, so it's easier to pull the guy close to you either from the sleeve or lapel and then bridge your rear end to safety, so is it that much harder without the gi? If the dude is hitting a lot and hitting hard and you can't grasp his upper body it of course is a really lovely place to be, but still, are there any reliable tactics and techniques you guys use in this situation? These are probably really beginner questions, but I haven't done a lot of no-gi grappling, so it's kinda foreign territory to me.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
So, as martial arts hobbyists or martial artists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1-A7R15uYU what would you do or have done?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can somebody open up MMA ground game for me a bit?

Stand up, and ask about striking from me.

j/k I have no idea, sorry about useless post :haw:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ligur posted:

So, as martial arts hobbyists or martial artists

Ask to see if the lady would like some help, and take steps from there to try and defuse the situation with words and hope to poo poo it doesn't come to blows because this is a litigious rear end society and with my luck I'd get beaten up for the trouble.

quote:

so is it that much harder without the gi?

Yea its a bit harder, I usually go for the neck/shoulder and wrist[wrist pinned to floor or body] to do the bridge and roll

quote:

reliable tactics and techniques you guys use in this situation?

Cover and weep gently and hope he tires out? Also, bridge and roll if he tries to throw a bomb and hope? No clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

KildarX posted:

Ask to see if the lady would like some help, and take steps from there to try and defuse the situation with words and hope to poo poo it doesn't come to blows because this is a litigious rear end society and with my luck I'd get beaten up for the trouble.

This is always the best thing I think. I often feel like straight out aggression is more of a macho thing than actually defusing the situation with your words. If it comes to blows, let it be because of them and let your training help you subdue them.

There are two videos floating around right now about fights breaking out in the subway. One where a man is hit by a woman who he then slaps, and another where an argument between a young dude and an old lady comes to blows when the young dude pushes the lady. In the first video the dude slapping the girl was stupid even though she provoked him. It's satisfying to see someone in the wrong get smacked, but ultimately that dude was arrested for misdemeanor assault because really he should have avoided the situation entirely. The girl in question was arrested for felony assault.

• Locked thread