Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'd like to get back onto Reluctant Enemies but I'm kind of strapped for time at the moment. Maybe this weekend wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Trynant posted:

Guderian's Blitzkrieg II's board game geek profile says it has a 75 hour playtime. That's one of my games trying to hit (and stay on) the table. Except I don't think my table will fit it. The map at full is 8'5" by 11'9".

True men combine it with Case Blue: (image stolen from BGG)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm genuinely surprised at the lack of player aids, off-board counters and other clutter-y stuff on that monstruosity. It seems almost simple and elegant.

Either that or all the bookeeping is made in another table, of course.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Obfuscation posted:

True men combine it with Case Blue: (image stolen from BGG)

My road to true manliness is being sidetracked by Case Blue's absurd price. One day....

Oh and then there's World at War, End of Empire, War of the Suns, Next War: Korea, It Never Snows, three Historical Advanced Squad Leader modules, Reluctant Enemies, The Blitzkrieg Legend, Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!, and Axis Empires: Dai Senso.

How the hell did these get on my shelves.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Trynant posted:

How the hell did these get on my shelves.

I guess you gotta hype everyone you know into giving you all of their free time.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

I guess my avatar is there to answer my own dumb questions.

Pigeon aside, I think if I can grab one person to get some weekly game sessions these monsters won't be too bad. Sure this would take forever, but hey; that's how it works sometimes.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Is there anywhere I can read some more about these monster games? Maybe actual play experiences, things like that? I've been thinking six hours for Sword of Rome is going to be too much for it to even hit the table, then I find out about these beasts.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Trynant posted:

I guess my avatar is there to answer my own dumb questions.

Pigeon aside, I think if I can grab one person to get some weekly game sessions these monsters won't be too bad. Sure this would take forever, but hey; that's how it works sometimes.

This is my goal; once I move into a house where I can leave some of these set up for a long period of time, I think I have a friend who I can convince to play at least a couple hours a week.

Alternatively, I kidnap convince Tekopo to move to the US to be my opponent.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Is there anywhere I can read some more about these monster games? Maybe actual play experiences, things like that? I've been thinking six hours for Sword of Rome is going to be too much for it to even hit the table, then I find out about these beasts.

Truth be told I mostly know (and own) the monsters I have through incidental searching on BGG and occasional chatting with the irc goons. I learned about Axis Empires stuff from Tekopo mentioning it (and blogging on it).

Generally doing any search that results in finding the "deep end" of war games will net you a good selection of games that have "gently caress-off" levels of investment needed to play. An easy search filter on BGG is to find an average weight rating of 4.0 or higher with at least 5-10 votes.

Also publishers I know of that tend to pull this poo poo are Decision Games, Compass Games, Multi-Man Publishing, and on occasion GMT Games

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm genuinely surprised at the lack of player aids, off-board counters and other clutter-y stuff on that monstruosity. It seems almost simple and elegant.

Either that or all the bookeeping is made in another table, of course.

Oh by the way Guderian's Blitzkrieg II keeps its setup aid separate in a 200+ page book purely full of coordinates for placing counters in its scenarios.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 7, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4815/campaign-north-africa :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think Totaler Krieg is actually more playable than unconditional surrender, mostly due to a lower number of turns. In TK you get 3 for summer and 2 for each of the other seasons, meaning that you have 9 turns per year as opposed to 12 turns a year for Unconditional Surrender. Also, the 'single unit activation' system of USE means that the operations phase can take long because your decisions can change based on the results of a single unit: I like the system but it is time consuming. Also keeping track of supply, especially in North Africa, is time consuming: it's usually best to take 6 production off the UK to keep the two convoys fed rather than working it out every single time.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'm considering getting one of these beasts now that I know I'm going to be spending a few weekends with some gaming time in the new year. Totaler Krieg appeals the most largely because of the alt-history aspects Tekopo mentioned.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

USE also has the alt-history aspects but to a lesser extent: you can do 'Nice Russians' strategies (although you'll always take at least two ceded lands), the diplomacy can be different in each game etc. The only thing you can't really change is how you want the countries to develop: you can't decided to modernize the French or go for the Gamelin line, you have a set production schedule and that's it (although, really, French modernization is a dead end and the Gamelin is much better on all accounts). Likewise, there's no choice for the Russians between not doing the military purges/stalin line/historical purges (each of which has a knock-on effect and is probably one of the more meaningful decisions in the game).

Also, TK suffers less from the 'one country left out' syndrome. From September 1939 till Summer 1941, either the Allies or the Russians is going to be left with literally nothing to do in USE, while in TK you can at least still get a decision on what cards you want to play and have them have an effect on the game.

On the other hand, the combat/support system in USE is better and friendlier, but the 'use it or lose it' system means that sometimes it can feel slightly pointless to damage the enemy in the early game (unlike doing damage in TK which feels more permanent due to the reinforcement schedules). By mid-war though, with the strategic war in full-force, people are going to be sweating their entire production though.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
In terms of actually finishing the games at some point, is it at all viable to record where you're up to/take pictures and then set it up to that point later?

Are there any other games of this size/scale/experience that you'd recommend also?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How is the iOS conversion of Phantom Leader? Also, how is the game itself :v:?

I'm going to be away from home for most of the weekend and have an itch for something narrative that lets me get attached to my counters.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

In terms of actually finishing the games at some point, is it at all viable to record where you're up to/take pictures and then set it up to that point later?

Are there any other games of this size/scale/experience that you'd recommend also?
It is possible to take pictures/notes and set it up later, but it is a time consuming task and it's really kind of boring. TK has difficulty doing this due to the counter density, USE is much easier due to the interchangeable nature of the pieces and the relatively low counter density.

I don't really have any other recommendations to be honest, but of the stuff I tried Dai Senso is not so good (it doesn't work from the support perspective) and World in Flames is just awful. I would like to try Supreme Commander though.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm going to be away from home for most of the weekend and have an itch for something narrative that lets me get attached to my counters.

The iOS conversion if workable but not very pretty. The game itself is kinda random and TAL is much better on all accounts.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Fat Samurai posted:

The conversion is clunky and bare-bones, but the game itself shines through. If you want to get attached to your counters, I don't think there's anything better out there; it's like X-COM in the sky.

The app doesn't explain itself well, but the full rules are accessible from within. It'll take a few games before you learn how to make good early choices; it's all about the armament you bring along.

Once you get it though, oh man. Watching the stress pile up on your pilots while they roll to evade AA attacks... It's a real nail biter.

I'm so into it right now that I want to get more games in the series. I already have Thunderbolt-Apache (modern CAS is my jam in simulators), but I really want to drop bombs on monsters with the Hornet Leader Cthulhu expansion. But that means I need to get Hornet Leader which is starting to feel excessive!

These games found kind of a weird middle ground in their level of abstraction, but it really works for some reason.

Edit: it is pretty random, but as a solitaire game, the actions of the 'opponent' are 100% predictable, and predictability is not what you want in a game covering this subject matter. The dice rolls keep things an inch away from FUBAR at all times. You will curse the dice though, and if you hate that feeling, then be warned.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 7, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I don't really have any other recommendations to be honest, but of the stuff I tried Dai Senso is not so good (it doesn't work from the support perspective) and World in Flames is just awful. I would like to try Supreme Commander though.

Yeah, actually knowing Empire of the Sun makes me not really want to play Dai Senso because it's nowhere near as good but it's also not much shorter. The ability to play TK and Dai Senso together is tempting, but the two boards don't interact much(so as not to disrupt the game balance).

Also the complexity in OCS is that supply is literally a unit on the map that has movement rules that aren't exactly like other units. It's why OCS doesn't have so many play aids and charts, but believe me, it still has them.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 7, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I've been slowly getting into hex and counter gaming for the past few months. Basically, I used to play a ton of miniatures games and now they're slowly getting replaced by hex and counter stuff, because it's so much cheaper and the gameplay is somewhat stronger (if not really stronger, in some senses).

A couple of months ago I played Eisenbach Gap and loved it. I love the era, honestly, and it's fun to play with relatively modern equipment.

I also played some rare-ish game that models the end of the French conflict in Vietnam, but I can't remember the name of it. It was a fairly famous battle where the French eventually lost control of an air strip (not in my game however!".

Today I played Warfighter and had some of the most fun I've ever had playing board games. I just love being able to equip my soldiers the way I want to and then blast through a mission. The co-op aspect is a lot of fun, too, although it gets a little confusing as to who goes when. Anyone else played Warfighter yet? Are there any other games like it?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

So I've been slowly getting into hex and counter gaming for the past few months. Basically, I used to play a ton of miniatures games and now they're slowly getting replaced by hex and counter stuff, because it's so much cheaper and the gameplay is somewhat stronger (if not really stronger, in some senses).

A couple of months ago I played Eisenbach Gap and loved it. I love the era, honestly, and it's fun to play with relatively modern equipment.

I also played some rare-ish game that models the end of the French conflict in Vietnam, but I can't remember the name of it. It was a fairly famous battle where the French eventually lost control of an air strip (not in my game however!".

Today I played Warfighter and had some of the most fun I've ever had playing board games. I just love being able to equip my soldiers the way I want to and then blast through a mission. The co-op aspect is a lot of fun, too, although it gets a little confusing as to who goes when. Anyone else played Warfighter yet? Are there any other games like it?

Rise of the Zombie's which sadly I want badly.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

A small aside if you enjoy miniatures gaming and want the best 4v8 tactical skirmish action this side of X-COM; might I suggest Earth Reborn?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How much is it recommended to get into ASL, or at least dip my toes in the water by getting the Starter Kit #1?

Will it be a pain on my wallet and/or soul? I've heard stories of 2-3" thick binders holding all the applicable rules, and that scares me. I have enough of a hard time finding people to play more "casual" games with me.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

How much is it recommended to get into ASL, or at least dip my toes in the water by getting the Starter Kit #1?

Will it be a pain on my wallet and/or soul? I've heard stories of 2-3" thick binders holding all the applicable rules, and that scares me. I have enough of a hard time finding people to play more "casual" games with me.

Starter Kits are $30-$40, the first one (with infantry rules) has 11 pages with the third kit having 30 (infantry, guns, tanks). As impenetrable as the full game can be (the one you've heard horror stories of), the Starter Kits are a great way to see if you at least like the system.

Basically get SK1. Going full into ASL is a whole other beast that's kind of a "pays off in spades if you can get past the cliff of learning"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Trynant posted:

Starter Kits are $30-$40, the first one (with infantry rules) has 11 pages with the third kit having 30 (infantry, guns, tanks). As impenetrable as the full game can be (the one you've heard horror stories of), the Starter Kits are a great way to see if you at least like the system.

Basically get SK1. Going full into ASL is a whole other beast that's kind of a "pays off in spades if you can get past the cliff of learning"

Thanks, the "pays off in spades" is the part I was looking for. I've heard so much talk about it, but most of the talk I see is just about how complicated it is, not as much about how good it is/whether it's good.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So States of Seige games. Are they all the same with different cosmetics/scenarios? Like they run on the same engine? If so any particular one stand above the rest?

Alternatively what does the beginner tag entail over the Intermediate that Silent War gets? I've played some Hearts of Iron so I've only new to the board gaming side of war gaming. I've done a bunch of it on video games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Largely the States of Seige all play roughly the same: you have a few tracks that approach the center, you beat them back, if they reach the center you lose. I've only played the one based on defending the french revolution (it's the one with the app, Levee en Masse (sp)?) and they are decent enough fun.

Silent War gets intermediate because although it isn't exactly hard, there is a lot of it and it's a huge time investment and basically descends into a book-keeping game. Beginner games are usually quicker to play and easier to get a grasp of and require less book-keeping.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Trynant posted:

A small aside if you enjoy miniatures gaming and want the best 4v8 tactical skirmish action this side of X-COM; might I suggest Earth Reborn?

I absolutely loved Earth Reborn when I played it a few times, the mechanisms were fun and equipping people was fun. The primary thing I disliked was, honestly, the theme. No one I know wants to play it.

Plus it's another miniatures game (albeit not a collectible one) and I'm trying to steer away from those.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I might have traded some old crap for Flying Colors with an expansion. This leads me to several important questions:

1) Do I need to buy tweezers to remain sane while playing this?
2) Are limes necessary to hold off scurvy, or will rum suffice?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lichtenstein posted:

I might have traded some old crap for Flying Colors with an expansion. This leads me to several important questions:

1) Do I need to buy tweezers to remain sane while playing this?
2) Are limes necessary to hold off scurvy, or will rum suffice?

The rum is so that the sailors would drink their lime. Likewise gin for the quinine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just played through a couple missions on B-17: Queen of the Skies, and would definitely recommend it. There's almost no strategy, really it's just dice rolling to see what happens, but it's a fun time waster and if you like to get into the narrative of a game, it's a good one for that.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010

silvergoose posted:

The rum is so that the sailors would drink their lime. Likewise gin for the quinine.

Actually the rum was so that the sailors would drink water that was stagnant in wooden barrels for weeks. But the lime was necessary for scurvy prevention, yes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Arrion posted:

Actually the rum was so that the sailors would drink water that was stagnant in wooden barrels for weeks. But the lime was necessary for scurvy prevention, yes.

Well, what I mean is, grog exists simply because they had rum, and needed to drink citrus.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

Thanks, the "pays off in spades" is the part I was looking for. I've heard so much talk about it, but most of the talk I see is just about how complicated it is, not as much about how good it is/whether it's good.

To elaborate; if you learn the system and enjoy the play (which is why SK1 is a great test for this), Advanced Squad Leader has years of content in the first module alone when adding in freely available online stuff (it loving should considering the rulebook is $80 and module 1 is $115 MSRP). The short of it is that while the core mechanics are relatively easy yet bogged down with "codex rules" that chrome adds so much breadth to the game. I'll just quote Combat Commander's designer, Chad Jensen, for his in-short:

quote:

When any platoon-, company- or battalion-sized WWII battle can be recreated within a single game system, you've got yourself a winner. DING-DING-DING.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I've been looking at ASL myself and this chatter is definitely selling me on it.

Has anyone played The Tide At Sunrise, the Russo-Japanese war game?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Are there any decent, free print-and-play games out there? I've heard good things about Napoleon at Waterloo. I've gotta wait until I get paid again before I can consider buying anything else, but I also want something to while away the boring evenings :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Here's a question for you guys. I've been looking at a ton of different games and testing on VASSAL, reading rules, etc. But, I know myself, and I know that I would buy up a whole bunch and play a little bit of each one instead of just really getting into and learning one.

So, I'm looking to buy a hefty game, learn it well, and play it often (99% solo, I'm fine playing both sides, so a CDG where hidden cards are important isn't a good thing).

I'm thinking about Empire of the Sun, since it looks to be the depth and size I'm looking for. I like WW2, I like the Pacific theater, I would also be into WW1 or Vietnam... I'm open to ideas. Would EotS be good for me?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I would really check out the COIN series games from GMT. They are like tailor made for this and have great solitaire rules (you can also just play each faction if you'd rather but I like the solitaire AI stuff).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

Here's a question for you guys. I've been looking at a ton of different games and testing on VASSAL, reading rules, etc. But, I know myself, and I know that I would buy up a whole bunch and play a little bit of each one instead of just really getting into and learning one.

So, I'm looking to buy a hefty game, learn it well, and play it often (99% solo, I'm fine playing both sides, so a CDG where hidden cards are important isn't a good thing).

I'm thinking about Empire of the Sun, since it looks to be the depth and size I'm looking for. I like WW2, I like the Pacific theater, I would also be into WW1 or Vietnam... I'm open to ideas. Would EotS be good for me?

Empire of the Sun is not a bad choice, though it's a lot easier to learn with someone teaching you.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Orphean nailed it. You described a COIN game.There's no hidden information at all, and unique actions for each faction, so different sides of the war play extremely differently.

There also appears to be a flavor of insurgency to suit all tastes, from Ancient Rome to America's war on terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
According to the latest update from the Twilight Struggle Digital Edition Kickstarter, the $15 coupons will be sent out next week. Any recommendations on what to pick up from what they have In Stock? I'm a big fan of their Card-Driven Games, but I'm not too big of a fan of Hex maps. I just picked up 1989, and I'd probably get Successors if it wasn't out of stock. I'll be happy to get Virgin Queen, as I really enjoyed playing Here I Stand, but I was hoping for something a bit smaller. How's Clash of Monarchs?