Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Hbomberguy posted:

what are you folk's opinions on sonic boom...the show?!

When Amy started singing, I dropped a Sonic Boom Boom in my pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Astro Nut posted:

As Amppelix alluded to earlier, the most likely issue a Sonic game is going to get that'll affect its development is a deadline. With 06 they wanted a Christmas release, plus the ability to promote it as part of the 15th anniversary. Dark Brotherhood was kicked out with half finished graphics and a soundtrack sprung together at the last minute due to Bioware still using licensed stuff. Unleashed's Night Time sections were made so drat long because they were less costly whilst easy to lengthen out, compared to the daytime stages. In general, Sonic games don't have a development time of longer than two years, and they're always trying to get something new added in since the 3D leap hit. So they've gotta test for whatever new mechanics they're going on, as well as (normally) trying to work out the kinks in a new engine, within that not exactly generous span of time. The result, needless to say, is often a lack of refinement, even where the games might have good ideas. Sonic Generations had the fortune of running off the existing Hedgehog engine, with the only really 'new' thing going for it being an attempt to recreate the style of the Genesis games.

In short, SEGA really needs to allocate more time - whether to the main games, spinoffs, or whatever - to actually make sure stuff works right.

I always knew Sonic Rush was a bad thing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hbomberguy posted:

Based off the one episode that's been shown it has the potential to be the best animated adaption of Sonic once you take any nostalgia for the old shows out of the equation. It mostly utilizes the core cast from the games instead of adding a bunch of new characters, and it keeps things light the way a cartoon about a blue hedgehog fighting an egg-shaped evil scientist should. The biggest surprise was that it actually made me laugh a few times, which puts it above most sitcoms that are on the air right now. I don't care much for the CG, though. Give me the choice between 2D and 3D animation and I'll take the former just about every time.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Amy should be less obsessed with Sonic and be more or less Dee Reynolds the Hedgehog.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

it's good

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
For anyone interested, a link to parax0's first run: http://www.twitch.tv/parax0/c/5484942

This was done in under and hour. With mistakes. Great QA, BRB and SEGA.

Also, in his second string of attempts, he crashed the game. No one is quite sure how, since he wasn't glitching at the time. This really is new-gen Sonic '06.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

SL the Pyro posted:

For anyone interested, a link to parax0's first run: http://www.twitch.tv/parax0/c/5484942

Also, in his second string of attempts, he crashed the game. No one is quite sure how, since he wasn't glitching at the time. This really is new-gen Sonic '06.

I love that the Knuckles hover glitch is character specific. Like, they managed it for three out of four, and then just missed the last one. But I suppose Knuckles needs to glide somehow.

Otherwise though, clearly exposes the issue in having a game world separated mostly by broken bridges (metaphorically and literally). If someone can find a way around them (due to a really freaking basic glitch), then that's most of the game just gone. And all the subsequent glitches as the game figures out 'wait wait there were meant to be five other audio clips before this play them all at once'. Seriously, the game clearly doesn't have proper checks on when to play or skip certain bits of audio.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wasn't one of the guys who runs this studio from Naughty Dog? loving lmao

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
It takes all kinds to make a studio like Naughty Dog work. :P

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I played Crash Bandicoot 1 again a few days ago.

Sonic Boom is probably better simply because the bugs make it interesting.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
And Paraxide just beat the game within 51 minutes, with massive mistakes.
In front of 2k people.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

Back in the day, sega felt like this giant super smart corporation that thought of everything and was careful about stuff. The later sonic games seem like four guys made them and accidentally shipped the beta.

I don't think sega gives a poo poo if sonic games are good or not. The people who like sonic will still keep buying sonic.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I don't think sega gives a poo poo if sonic games are good or not. The people who like sonic will still keep buying sonic.

That and he's still their mascot character. They will burn money on him if they have to - and are likely fine to do so with Nintendo paying at least some of the bill as well.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
The sub-1 hour speedruns are in before the reviews. That's hilarious.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I like that after the credits there is hook for a sequel.
Keep on dreaming Big Red Button. :allears:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I like that after the credits there is hook for a sequel.
Keep on dreaming Big Red Button. :allears:

I think they're actually contractually obliged to make a sequel. So it's gonna happen regardless go how this game does, unless it does so badly that Nintendo feels the need to re-negotiate the contract.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Flytrap posted:

I think they're actually contractually obliged to make a sequel. So it's gonna happen regardless go how this game does, unless it does so badly that Nintendo feels the need to re-negotiate the contract.

Only if the Boom franchise takes off really. This was the last in the three game exclusivity deal, so if they wanted to, SEGA could probably release a sequel as a multi-platform game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Flytrap posted:

The Nintendo contract was for three exclusive Sonic games and this is the third.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

Only if the Boom franchise takes off really. This was the last in the three game exclusivity deal, so if they wanted to, SEGA could probably release a sequel as a multi-platform game.

Oh, I thought it was the second. Never mind then.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Yeah, it's really easy to forget Mario and Sonic at the Olympics but apparently that counted.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Does doing the Knuckles jump glitch cause the textures to not load? Because Christ this poo poo looks worse than a PS2 game :psyduck:

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

SL the Pyro posted:

To play devil's advocate a bit, both Dark Souls and its sequel have sub-hour speedruns where folks go outside the map to skip massive chunks of game, and those are both spectacular games with a tremendous amount of time and effort put into them. In Sonic '06, if you were unlucky, one boss could send you flying into space because nobody thought to put an invisible wall at a certain altitude, and that was something that could easily be experienced without deliberately looking for wonky physics behavior. From the footage I've seen, Boom looks slightly uninspired, but not offensively bad, and certainly not a catastrophically broken physics mess. I'm willing to give it a shot.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Well as bad as 2006 is a hyperbole at least; the equivalent of the same infinite jump glitch in 2006 is done just by pressing the jump button. Speaking of,

Astro Nut posted:

As Amppelix alluded to earlier, the most likely issue a Sonic game is going to get that'll affect its development is a deadline. With 06 they wanted a Christmas release, plus the ability to promote it as part of the 15th anniversary. Dark Brotherhood was kicked out with half finished graphics and a soundtrack sprung together at the last minute due to Bioware still using licensed stuff. Unleashed's Night Time sections were made so drat long because they were less costly whilst easy to lengthen out, compared to the daytime stages. In general, Sonic games don't have a development time of longer than two years, and they're always trying to get something new added in since the 3D leap hit. So they've gotta test for whatever new mechanics they're going on, as well as (normally) trying to work out the kinks in a new engine, within that not exactly generous span of time. The result, needless to say, is often a lack of refinement, even where the games might have good ideas. Sonic Generations had the fortune of running off the existing Hedgehog engine, with the only really 'new' thing going for it being an attempt to recreate the style of the Genesis games.

In short, SEGA really needs to allocate more time - whether to the main games, spinoffs, or whatever - to actually make sure stuff works right.
That's what makes its development mysterious, there are no parts that seem like they could have been good ideas. It's bad ideas with bad design and bad execution. By looking at it you can't tell who's at fault other than "everyone".

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 13, 2014

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, this game looks nowhere near as broken and awful as 2006, but at the same time:

Lamprey Cannon posted:

To play devil's advocate a bit, both Dark Souls and its sequel have sub-hour speedruns where folks go outside the map to skip massive chunks of game, and those are both spectacular games with a tremendous amount of time and effort put into them. In Sonic '06, if you were unlucky, one boss could send you flying into space because nobody thought to put an invisible wall at a certain altitude, and that was something that could easily be experienced without deliberately looking for wonky physics behavior. From the footage I've seen, Boom looks slightly uninspired, but not offensively bad, and certainly not a catastrophically broken physics mess. I'm willing to give it a shot.

It look really mediocre and uninspired, dude.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Sonic fans: "This game looks thoroughly mediocre and has lots of bugs, guess I'll buy it anyways!"
Gamers: "WTF how does this lovely franchise still exist :psyduck:"

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

from watching footage of other people playing, the entire game world is really boring looking, the music is incredibly bland, the combat is repetitive and uninteresting, the platforming is nothing special, and for some reason they felt the need to make the characters comment on almost every single ring/bounce pad/treasure chest they come across and it's really forced sounding and annoying. also its really buggy.

the upsides are that the characters have really expressive models and animations, and the cutscene dialogue is really good and genuinely funny for the most part. for this alone i could possibly see myself getting it for $10. too bad about everything else, but at least we have the cartoon and comics

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tails we rock

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMIYm3KJnU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

mycot posted:

Well as bad as 2006 is a hyperbole at least; the equivalent of the same infinite jump glitch in 2006 is done just by pressing the jump button. Speaking of,

That's what makes its development mysterious, there are no parts that seem like they could have been good ideas. It's bad ideas with bad design and bad execution. By looking at it you can't tell who's at fault other than "everyone".

Actually, I tend to find that the ideas of Sonic 06 have some interesting potential in them, but good lord did they miss the mark. In some ways, they do rather overlap with Boom, though different in how they tried (and failed).
06' main thing, far as I can tell, was that it tried to be quite literally epic. Like, the Sonic series in general actually is when you stop and think about it, given all the world travelling and saving that goes on, but 06 was a more deliberate attempt at that. Humans were given more realistic designs and Eggman a redesign to match, and all the others are brought up to scale. The story deals in gods twisted by man, time travel, the power of hope and love. Sonic receives sections dedicated to truly showing off his speed. Vast psychic powers are placed at the player's command. Shadow has to come to terms with how the world may one day betray him out of fear, no matter what he does to protect it. You fight giant robots and gods and dedicated rivals, coming together to save reality itself.

And if we all didn't know how that actually turned out, that would seem pretty neat.

But we do know how it turned out. Once you stepped past the initial pre-rendered cutscene (which despite the rest of the game to follow, is still one of my favourite cutscenes in the franchise), the graphics showed themselves quite unfinished. The levels were hampered by how they had to dedicate themselves to three different characters - one of whom plays vastly different from the others - let alone framerate issues and wonky physics. The mach sections are an uncontrollable mess with too much speed and too little control, the story is confused at best (though Shadow actually manages mostly okay), and just in general it falls pretty drat far thanks to how high it raised its own pedastal.

As a kind of contrast, Unleashed is also very much a deliberate 'epic' tale, but goes for more an over the top Pixar means of things, rather than Final Fantasy.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

*Stops and thinks about it* Hmm... you know, now that I've given this further thought, this series of video games involving a small woodland animal saving other animals from a fat scientist is actually pretty "epic," wow.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We need a new thread title here.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
If you think about it, Sonic can fart faster than the speed of sound

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwi46F5B_t4

edit: aw poo poo

Squallege fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 13, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Glance upwards :v:

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)

mycot posted:

A key difference, however, is that the infinite jump glitch in 2006 can't be done until you have the purple gem, which you can't purchase until after Kingdom Valley, near the end of Sonic's story, so you still have to do most of Sonic's story legitimately. In this game, though, you can do the infinite jump glitch at the beginning of the game, so you don't actually have to play that much of the game legitimately.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Astro Nut posted:

Actually, I tend to find that the ideas of Sonic 06 have some interesting potential in them, but good lord did they miss the mark. In some ways, they do rather overlap with Boom, though different in how they tried (and failed).
06' main thing, far as I can tell, was that it tried to be quite literally epic. Like, the Sonic series in general actually is when you stop and think about it, given all the world travelling and saving that goes on, but 06 was a more deliberate attempt at that. Humans were given more realistic designs and Eggman a redesign to match, and all the others are brought up to scale. The story deals in gods twisted by man, time travel, the power of hope and love. Sonic receives sections dedicated to truly showing off his speed. Vast psychic powers are placed at the player's command. Shadow has to come to terms with how the world may one day betray him out of fear, no matter what he does to protect it. You fight giant robots and gods and dedicated rivals, coming together to save reality itself.

And if we all didn't know how that actually turned out, that would seem pretty neat.

But we do know how it turned out. Once you stepped past the initial pre-rendered cutscene (which despite the rest of the game to follow, is still one of my favourite cutscenes in the franchise), the graphics showed themselves quite unfinished. The levels were hampered by how they had to dedicate themselves to three different characters - one of whom plays vastly different from the others - let alone framerate issues and wonky physics. The mach sections are an uncontrollable mess with too much speed and too little control, the story is confused at best (though Shadow actually manages mostly okay), and just in general it falls pretty drat far thanks to how high it raised its own pedastal.

As a kind of contrast, Unleashed is also very much a deliberate 'epic' tale, but goes for more an over the top Pixar means of things, rather than Final Fantasy.

Cite your sources.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Looper posted:

If you think about it, Sonic can fart faster than the speed of sound

So would you say it creates a... Sonic Boom :downsrim:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://soundcloud.com/generaloffensive/the-brlbrl-quartet-sonic-boom-drowning-voices

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Former Naughty Dog employees everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Former for a reason

• Locked thread