Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Man is Yosemite's Mail.app an absolute nightmare with Gmail for anyone else? I've got a 50/50 chance of Google's SMTP server being unavailable, according to Mail. It's absolutely fine on my other Yosemite machine on the exact same network so I can't figure it out. When I run diagnostics it seems to connect to Gmail just fine.

I get that sometimes after waking from sleep, but restarting the app fixes the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

iostream.h posted:

What's the best solution for automatically updating the metadata on video files? I've been converting a bunch of my old DVDs and while iFlicks 2 is usually pretty good about finding the information online, it's not very reliable.

I use Subler and don't have any major complaints.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lawen posted:

I use Subler and don't have any major complaints.

Seconding Subler for many things (subs, among them, obviously). I also make heavy use of iDentify (2) if it's just for mass processing of tags.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Kobayashi posted:

I know how it works; I'm saying the way it works is stupid. I can think of no reason why anyone with a phone number would ever want messages to be sent from their email address.

If they have a phone other than iPhone without unlimited texting but do have an iPad or Mac? Part of the selling point of iMessage when it came out was that it was billed as data, not texts. I believe iMessage is also used for signaling for FaceTime video calls.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kind of funny now that I have unlimited texting but limited data.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

fordan posted:

If they have a phone other than iPhone without unlimited texting but do have an iPad or Mac? Part of the selling point of iMessage when it came out was that it was billed as data, not texts. I believe iMessage is also used for signaling for FaceTime video calls.

Sure, that makes sense, but again, if someone has an iPhone, when is "send messages from my email address" ever the right option? I'm on the fence about the corporate-liable device scenario, as the enterprise market as a whole is moving toward BYOD.

E: Anecdotally, I've come across maybe 10 people who have iMessaged me from their email address. Never once has someone told me that was what they wanted.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I just upgraded to Mac OS X Yosemite on my mid-2012 11" Macbook Air. I've been getting random wi-fi drops ever since. I can't get any productivity done when my wi-fi drops every 40 seconds. I've googled remedies but none work. Any news on when Apple is going to patch this? I have a D-Link DIR-655 router, so maybe that might be the problem too?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rabid Snake posted:

I have a D-Link DIR-655 router, so maybe that might be the problem too?
I have one of those and it drops quite a bit. Going to replace it with a newer N router once I get some Best Buy coupons or Amazon gift cards.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kobayashi posted:

Sure, that makes sense, but again, if someone has an iPhone, when is "send messages from my email address" ever the right option? I'm on the fence about the corporate-liable device scenario, as the enterprise market as a whole is moving toward BYOD.

E: Anecdotally, I've come across maybe 10 people who have iMessaged me from their email address. Never once has someone told me that was what they wanted.

Maybe when the iPhone in question is a hand-me-down that's being used as a glorified iPod touch without any phone number attached to it? Or an actual iPod touch?

I have an iPhone 4 that was given to me by a friend when they upgraded to a 5s last year. I never got on the iPhone bandwagon because seriously, you all pay way too loving much money for your phone bills. I already spend about 15 hours a day in front of a computer and more or less my whole life within a wifi bubble. I get along just fine with an el-cheapo candybar on a minimalistic voice only, limited texts plan for my phone needs, and I just use my computer for most computer poo poo.

That said, sometimes I wander out of my home wifi bubble and into other people's wifi bubbles. My local bar, various university buildings, restaurants, airports, etc. In those cases it's useful to have a little pocket computer that I can use for email, browsing SA, loving around while I wait for things, or even messaging people using a profile registered with *gasp* my email. Because, you know, I don't have a phone number associated with this thing.

Same story with my wife and her iPod.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 13, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Maybe when the iPhone in question is a hand-me-down that's being used as a glorified iPod touch without any phone number attached to it? Or an actual iPod touch?

I have an iPhone 4 that was given to me by a friend when they upgraded to a 5s last year. I never got on the iPhone bandwagon because seriously, you all pay way too loving much money for your phone bills. I already spend about 15 hours a day in front of a computer and more or less my whole life within a wifi bubble. I get along just fine with an el-cheapo candybar on a minimalistic voice only, limited texts plan.

That said, sometimes I wander out of my home wifi bubbles and into other people's wifi bubbles. My local bar, various university buildings, restaurants, airports, etc. In those cases it's useful to have a little pocket computer that I can use for email, loving around while I wait for things, or even messaging people using a profile registered with *gasp* my email. Because, you know, I don't have a phone number associated with this thing.

Same story with my wife and her iPod.

Congratulations you use your phone in ways that are completely different from the vast majority of Americans. :thumbsup:

Also uh at least with my mobile provider, which phone you have plays no factor at all into how much your monthly phone bill is. I could have a bottom-of-the-barrel piece of poo poo phone from 2006 or a top-of-the-line flagship, and my monthly phone bill would be the same (I use an Android, but this applies equally to iPhones).

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 13, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Congratulations you use your phone in ways that are completely different than the vast majority of Americans.

Also uh at least with my mobile provider, which phone you have plays no factor at all into how much your monthly phone bill is. I could have a bottom-of-the-barrel piece of poo poo phone from 2006 or a top-of-the-line flagship, and my monthly phone bill would be the same (I use an Android, but this applies equally to iPhones).

Yeah, I know, I was just pointing out that there are circumstances where having the option for an email address makes sense. He seem oddly upset by the very notion that there is an option for ID'ing the sender that isn't a phone number.

The phone bill comment was referencing the fact that I don't have to pay for a data hookup. Voice and text only on a dumb phone is really, really loving cheap compared to even cheap smartphone plans.

At least in the US that is. I remember seeing some cheap as poo poo smartphone plans when I was in Germany. Bring your own device, of course, but goddamn those were some cheap entry data plans.

edit: if you insist on an example of user-ID by email that isn't a total niche case, also consider wireless-only iPads. It wouldn't be too crazy to want to message from one of those and, again, no associated phone number.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 13, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Calm down poor people, we get it, you have it all figured out.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

The phone bill comment was referencing the fact that I don't have to pay for a data hookup. Voice and text only on a dumb phone is really, really loving cheap compared to even cheap smartphone plans.
Is there a cellphone company/plan that allow you to use your smartphone like a dumb phone without forcing data plan onto it? ATT will force some data plan onto your account if they detect a smartphone IMEI even if you just used the same sim card on a dumb phone and plugged into a smartphone with cellular data disabled.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can pay like $10/mo for the minimum amount of data, right? That's like two lunches out every month. Either live with that or do a flip phone and iPod touch.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
That's still $120 a year for nothing if you just have cellular data disabled.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just find it a little silly. "I never use it! I would never want that!" Do you truly NEVER go anywhere? Has anyone saying this tried living with it and seeing if they feel the same way afterwards?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
By the way, the fix to the windowserver process eating a shitton of CPU and destroying your mac can be solved by going to Accessibility -> Displays -> Reduce Transparency. Instantly improved it for me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

You can pay like $10/mo for the minimum amount of data, right? That's like two lunches out every month. Either live with that or do a flip phone and iPod touch.

If you know a smartphone plan in the US that charges $10/mo for the minimum amount of data please point me to it. That's something I've been looking for off and on and every time I go looking they all end up being $35-40 for the low end data plans.

We're actually pretty happy with the flip phone and iPod touch arrangement.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you know a smartphone plan in the US that charges $10/mo for the minimum amount of data please point me to it. That's something I've been looking for off and on and every time I go looking they all end up being $35-40 for the low end data plans.

We're actually pretty happy with the flip phone and iPod touch arrangement.

Are you seeing a therapist?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I think T-Mobile will do what you want.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ambushsabre posted:

By the way, the fix to the windowserver process eating a shitton of CPU and destroying your mac can be solved by going to Accessibility -> Displays -> Reduce Transparency. Instantly improved it for me.
I was messing with that a few days ago using screen zoom as a performance metric cause it's been poo poo since upgrading for whatever reason. Reduce transparency didn't help much for whatever reason, hitting increase contrast after reduce transparency also didn't, but having reduce transparency unchecked then hitting increase contrast did (despite it auto enabling reduce transparency) :psyduck:. This was on a 2011 Mac mini w/Radeon 6630M. I tried the same stuff on my old 2009 model w/Nvidia 9400M but didn't test out as much cause it didn't seem to make as much a difference, even though I remember zooming being poo poo on there too earlier, but seemed fine when testing it out :iiam:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

After upgrading to Yosemite I have lost the 10 day reminder for Time Machine. Was it removed or is something broken on my end?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I have a kind of lovely medium-res scan of a simple figure that I want to turn into a character in a font. I assume I'll have to vectorize it first and I've tried a couple online vectorizers but they're trash.

I've tried VectorDraw from the app store to do it by hand, but it seems like its Bezier curve implementation is kinda buggy. When I pull on handles, it'll randomly move the anchor point instead of adjusting the curve more often than not, which is a pain in the rear end.

Are there better apps for this (preferably cheap or free)?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
There's FontForge. You can also get a free trial of Sketch from the app store. FontForge is a fully-fledged font editor whereas Sketch is simply a vector graphics program.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Thanks, gonna try those out!

E: In case anyone cares, fontforge worked out excellently.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 14, 2014

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I know, I was just pointing out that there are circumstances where having the option for an email address makes sense. He seem oddly upset by the very notion that there is an option for ID'ing the sender that isn't a phone number.

The complaint wasn't that it was an option so much as for some people it seemed too be the default where it didn't make any sense for it to be.

quote:

edit: if you insist on an example of user-ID by email that isn't a total niche case, also consider wireless-only iPads. It wouldn't be too crazy to want to message from one of those and, again, no associated phone number.

Guess what? Still a phone number associated .

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Since I used VPNs fairly often a friend of mine suggested Viscosity and yep, it is a brilliant VPN program. Would not use anything else anymore.

https://www.sparklabs.com/viscosity/

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

ArcticZombie posted:

There's FontForge. You can also get a free trial of Sketch from the app store. FontForge is a fully-fledged font editor whereas Sketch is simply a vector graphics program.

Unrelated to the question, but Sketch is a piece of goddamn amazing software.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Michaellaneous posted:

Since I used VPNs fairly often a friend of mine suggested Viscosity and yep, it is a brilliant VPN program. Would not use anything else anymore.

https://www.sparklabs.com/viscosity/

It was the first Mac program I bought when I picked up my rMBP. I use it almost every day and probably the best VPN client I've used. I might even pick it up for Windows one of these days.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I know I've asked this before, but what's the procedure to create a bootable usb drive to install Windows 7 on a standard PC from a Macbook? I googled it and the instructions I followed spit out an unrecognizable drive.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I know I've asked this before, but what's the procedure to create a bootable usb drive to install Windows 7 on a standard PC from a Macbook? I googled it and the instructions I followed spit out an unrecognizable drive.

Open bootcamp assistant and follow onscreen instructions.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Open bootcamp assistant and follow onscreen instructions.

This doesn't help at all. I have a Windows 7 ISO, stored on my Macbook, that I want to install on a PC that has a new hard drive. Bootcamp does nothing for me here; it doesn't recognize the ISO when mounted.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

This doesn't help at all. I have a Windows 7 ISO, stored on my Macbook, that I want to install on a PC that has a new hard drive. Bootcamp does nothing for me here; it doesn't recognize the ISO when mounted.

Clearly you didn't follow the onscreen instructions.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Clearly you didn't follow the onscreen instructions.

What onscreen instructions? Here's a screenshot of what happens every time I try it. If you're just going to be a jackass don't bother replying.

edit for more content: The last time I had to do this (with the same ISO) I used Terminal and it worked perfectly.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 16, 2014

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

GobiasIndustries posted:

What onscreen instructions? Here's a screenshot of what happens every time I try it. If you're just going to be a jackass don't bother replying.

edit for more content: The last time I had to do this (with the same ISO) I used Terminal and it worked perfectly.
You need to plug a USB drive that's large enough to have the ISO put onto it in first or the installer has nothing to make a bootable thing from. There should be another option above the 'Download the latest Windows support software from Apple' thing there about making a USB installer. Is your USB stick being detected in disk utility?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

here's how that window appears to the rest of the competent world.

how old is the system you're doing this on? what version of osx?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mercurius posted:

You need to plug a USB drive that's large enough to have the ISO put onto it in first or the installer has nothing to make a bootable thing from. There should be another option above the 'Download the latest Windows support software from Apple' thing there about making a USB installer. Is your USB stick being detected in disk utility?

Yep; I've actually tried 2 different USB drives, a 16 & a 64gb. Both show up in Finder/Disk Utility, but I don't see any other options in the Boot Camp Assistant. I've tried restarting after plugging each one in just in case, too.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Quick question: I'm still getting used to how OSX manages app installations and demoware. I downloaded the Pixelmator demo and have the app file sitting in my Downloads folder after unzipping it. Am I supposed to drag these types of files to my Applications folder or is it ok to just run it from where it currently resides since it's just a demo?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Butt Savage posted:

Quick question: I'm still getting used to how OSX manages app installations and demoware. I downloaded the Pixelmator demo and have the app file sitting in my Downloads folder after unzipping it. Am I supposed to drag these types of files to my Applications folder or is it ok to just run it from where it currently resides since it's just a demo?

You can, or you can put it wherever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Lovely -- I can' t run it anyway since I'm still on Mavericks. Thanks anyway, Bob.