Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If Josh isn't winning Jeremy might have a chance. I have hope for this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Reid's penmanship is exquisite.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

Incredible that people still believe in the winner's edit.

I love that Josh's hinky vote at the first Tribal Council is what did him in.

I do think the winner's edit definitely has existed a few seasons but the editors have done a good job with avoiding it recently.

And that was great that that came back to bite him. Shows him for trying to ride the "you owe me" thing when he voted for her a couple times early on.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Now quick turn off the TV before Criminal Minds starts!

Criminal Minds is the funniest show on TV though

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Literally a killer whose gimmick is selfies.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

and yet #Selfie was the show that got cancelled instead of Criminal Minds.
I'll miss Karen Gillan in her hosiery. :(

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Lampsacus posted:

Not just that, he's obsessed with Mark Twain now

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Midnightghoul posted:

Not just that, he's obsessed with Mark Twain now

And they just namedropped Slenderman.

thanks goons

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Joose Caboose posted:

I do think the winner's edit definitely has existed a few seasons but the editors have done a good job with avoiding it recently.

And that was great that that came back to bite him. Shows him for trying to ride the "you owe me" thing when he voted for her a couple times early on.

He lived how he died, voting for Baylor

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Midnightghoul posted:

Criminal Minds is the funniest show on TV though

It was ok in the earlier seasons. The problem with crime procedurals is that they start to get repetitive fairly quickly and the longer arcs don't really hold up the show.

Plus, it gets harder and harder to suspend belief as every single case gets magically solved in a very short period of time. At some point, the genre has to die out. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't already since the market has been flooded with the various flavors of CSIs, NCISs, Law and Orders that are out there. At least Criminal Minds hasn't spawned a second show like the others.

Also, I'm really surprised that Josh went home tonight. I'm not sure if it was the best move for Jon/Jaclyn and I think Reed was right about Jeremy and Co turning against them fairly quickly. I'm also a little bit sick of Baylor and her attitude. I know that Josh was putting a little pressure on her, but I didn't feel like he was trying to outright blackmail her.

Finally, Alec is a huge dick and he should probably get booted soon. Unfortunately, I don't think he will because nobody will vote for him in the finals.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
If you had Baylor, Alec, and Missy in the finals. Who wins?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
These people are all horrible players.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

If you had Baylor, Alec, and Missy in the finals. Who wins?
Alec is a douche so the vote otherwise is moot.

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
Gee, I wonder if being in a critical vote where the direction of the game for potentially up to final five or six is being decided and you're very possibly on the wrong side of a 6-5 vote and you know exactly who is being voted for is a good time to play your loving idol Keith. Oh but I guess you went and told the other side who is in danger and maybe they have an idol and could counter your ifol so I guess gently caress you again Keith.

I've been giving this season the benefit of the doubt that there is actually a lot of gameplay, strategy discussion, etc being left on the cutting room floor in favor of partner drama, but it's becoming harder and harder to believe any of these people have any idea what they're doing.

I want to see someone realize that a 3 pair alliance could run the rest of the game by agreeing on a final 3 of 1 person from each pair.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

EchoBase posted:

Gee, I wonder if being in a critical vote where the direction of the game for potentially up to final five or six is being decided and you're very possibly on the wrong side of a 6-5 vote and you know exactly who is being voted for is a good time to play your loving idol Keith. Oh but I guess you went and told the other side who is in danger and maybe they have an idol and could counter your ifol so I guess gently caress you again Keith.

I've been giving this season the benefit of the doubt that there is actually a lot of gameplay, strategy discussion, etc being left on the cutting room floor in favor of partner drama, but it's becoming harder and harder to believe any of these people have any idea what they're doing.

I want to see someone realize that a 3 pair alliance could run the rest of the game by agreeing on a final 3 of 1 person from each pair.

I actually think Keith is one of the most interesting players this season. He is continuously oblivious and confused by even basic strategies like vote splitting, side deals within alliances, and even alliances themselves. Yet at the same time, he has had surprisingly keen intuition about the game (knowing not to play his idol after the swap, not buying Missy's apology a few episodes ago, sensing Jon & Jaclyn weren't with him this episode). I don't think he'll win, and I hope he doesn't win, but he's definitely an interesting throwback to the kind of old-school Survivor player we haven't seen in years.

ETA: I mean, it's not even clear if Keith told Wes about the idol yet, which is an incredibly strange move to say the least. Contrast that to Jon telling Jaclyn literally the moment they were back on the beach this episode.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

EchoBase posted:

You spend two paragraphs talking about how people don't know how to play the game, and then arrive at that conclusion? :ironicat:

If you go into Final 5 with pairs of A/a, B/b and C without their partner, unless C wins immunity there is no way that they don't go home. Why in the world would you want to go to a final with two people from different partnerships, than with 1 or 2 people from the same pair. You have AaBb go into final 4, draw rocks, and that's it.

If a final is AaB then a says "don't vote for me, vote for A" and it's A vs B and effectively a final 2. With ABC in the final you're up against two people which is much worse because votes rarely get split amongst all three FTC members.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Sorry to see one of the few likable people leave.

I think right now I'm mostly rooting for Reed, Jeremy and Natalie. I'm genuinely surprised at how much I like Natalie right now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The only thing I really liked about Josh was that he at least tried to play the game but he wasn't really any good at it.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

savinhill posted:

The only thing I really liked about Josh was that he at least tried to play the game but he wasn't really any good at it.

The sad thing is that this should have been very obvious after Episode 1's "I spontaneously voted for closest ally instead of with either alliance without telling anyone, all in an effort to PROTECT my closest ally." It was just so easy to forget about that when the next 3 episodes involved "I have two idols, please vote me out," "thanks for voting out the lady with the idols, also I have an idol too" and "I should throw this challenge while being the most hated member of my tribe and having no alliance."

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

TMMadman posted:

I'm also a little bit sick of Baylor and her attitude. I know that Josh was putting a little pressure on her, but I didn't feel like he was trying to outright blackmail her.

Baylor came to Josh on day three, told him he was the person in the game she trusted the most and wanted to work with him, and he immediately voted for her. This made Baylor an outcast with the girls and at the bottom of the totem pole with the men, to the point where she almost left in the second tribal council because of a vote split. The first person she reached out to and trusted almost ruined her game off the bat.

It's absurd for him to think she owed him anything after that, and I was glad to see that move come back to haunt him in the end.

I understand how this could have been a disappointing episode for people who love to see people play the game well, but I think it's just as entertaining to see the game turn on a (pretty irrelevant) douchebag being an open jerk to a critical swing vote in his alliance for no reason. And hey, seeing the moron who overplayed at the first tribal council for no reason leave should be some solace

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
I'll just be excited for any dynamic other than "Who will Jon and Jaclyn side with?!?"

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I liked Josh because at least he was trying to play the game... or so I thought. But I don't understand how he made absolutely no attempt to make Jaclyn feel more welcome or anything at all with Alec acting like that and Keith/Wes only making the situation worse.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
100% my favorite part of this episode was Probst channeling his inner Erik with comments about perception and reality. That had to be intentional.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I liked Josh because at least he was trying to play the game... or so I thought. But I don't understand how he made absolutely no attempt to make Jaclyn feel more welcome or anything at all with Alec acting like that and Keith/Wes only making the situation worse.

He was busy chasing Baylor about what she "owed him" even though he didn't need her and had no chance of getting her.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

mancalamania posted:

I don't think he'll win, and I hope he doesn't win, but he's definitely an interesting throwback to the kind of old-school Survivor player we haven't seen in years.

This is very true and I think has made Keith one of the more fun players to watch for me. He's a lot more like old-school Survivor where they may not be the best with Survivor strategy, etc. but they are savvy enough and make the right choices when it comes down to it to keep them in a decent position.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

savinhill posted:

even though he didn't need her

He got voted off 6-5. He needed her.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

He got voted off 6-5. He needed her.

Well he wouldn't have if he actually paid attention to the person who he had already gotten to agree to flip

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There's a lot of game left to play but I'm pretty confident whoever wins this will be very very low on my list of winners.

It's just a constant stream of one-upping from a stupidity standpoint and there's not a single person that I would qualify as a good player as things are now.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

savinhill posted:

Well he wouldn't have if he actually paid attention to the person who he had already gotten to agree to flip

He was on exile island

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

You spend two paragraphs talking about how people don't know how to play the game, and then arrive at that conclusion? :ironicat:

If you go into Final 5 with pairs of A/a, B/b and C without their partner, unless C wins immunity there is no way that they don't go home. Why in the world would you want to go to a final with two people from different partnerships, than with 1 or 2 people from the same pair. You have AaBb go into final 4, draw rocks, and that's it.

If a final is AaB then a says "don't vote for me, vote for A" and it's A vs B and effectively a final 2. With ABC in the final you're up against two people which is much worse because votes rarely get split amongst all three FTC members.

Oh no, I didn't say it was a good idea, I just want to see the remaining pairs mull over that scenario and try to put it into action.

Now that I think about it, though, a group of three pairs agreeing on a final 3 and actually sticking with it regardless of the changing landscape of who of the final 3 might actually win is no more ludicrous than, say, Gervase and Monica sticking with Tyson or Woo sticking with Tony. People make the 'wrong' strategic moves in order to stay loyal to their allies, it happens often.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Maybe Josh shouldn't have thrown her a "seemingly" hinky vote on Day 3 and has been backpedaling on it since to the point of demanding Baylor reparations for it.

That's some nerve to ask from a woman scorned.

He could have thrown his "vote" elsewhere the first time but overplayed Baylor's moxie.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Robnoxious posted:

Boo.. Quiz Comp.

It's a crapshoot folks.

Keith got hosed out of his immunity because of Jules.

How is a memory quiz comp a crapshoot? The crappy beanbag toss and shuffleboard games they play for HOH on Big Brother are crapshoots. A memorization quiz after 22 days of starvation is a pretty good test of mental prowess in my opinion.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

bbf2 posted:

How is a memory quiz comp a crapshoot? The crappy beanbag toss and shuffleboard games they play for HOH on Big Brother are crapshoots. A memorization quiz after 22 days of starvation is a pretty good test of mental prowess in my opinion.
When I posted that... all I saw were the cubes and thought it was going to be a quiz type comp.

Regardless of memory or quiz those comps are crapshoots in that anyone could potentially win. It's very much needed to make sure II is circulated around. It just doesn't equal riveting television in my book.

While it was never bandied about when the show aired live I think a bunch of the early eliminations were blatant throws. Especially, the first round exits. Jon had no reason to stick around, he had a HII. Jeff let him off of the hook with his flippant "Must have been the toils of Exile Island" claptrap. Also, the first four reveals all started with "S" and Reed or whoever chooses "Temple" for some odd reason.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 13, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Last week I was rooting against Jeremy, and now because of the sexist douchebag olympics I guess I'm rooting for him to win. I'd like to say that it was "powerful editing" that made me switch, but I think its just because tonight was the first time where I felt any sort of definition for who these people are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As usual it seems I'm in the minority as I was pulling hard for jeremy over Josh so I fistpumped a couple of times that episode. I've been wanting to see Josh get taken out for what I saw as bad gameplay. It's cool if happened. And I loved the moment where Jaclyn started to complain about being ignored and all the guys had looks on their faces like "oh yeah, I guess we could have talked to her."

Lone Goat posted:

I love that Josh's hinky vote at the first Tribal Council is what did him in.

And his weird belief that Baylor owed him after all that stuff. Josh seemed to be the only member of his alliance with any concept of how to play the game and deal with people and yet he didn't know not to try and guilt and blackmail someone you'd voted for and lied to multiple times.

Jeremy still has a long way to go before he has to worry about not sounding too arrogant in TC (which is why Jaclyn was totally right that Jon is a dummy for being so worried about that this early). Jeremy's still a big target and it's just a matter of time before people start looking his way again. Jon and Jaclyn are so flaky and these alliances are a mess so we're going to see more shuffling. And Jeremy's still Jeremy so he can over play himself out of this game.

I'm curious to see if Wes, Keith, Alec, and Reed wake up and start scrambling now. I really want to see Alec scramble. I imagine it consists of him telling all the women how much they suck and how much they need a strong man like him. I also look forward to Keith's unique form of hillbilly scrambling.

And next week I'm sure Jon and Jaclyn will have another game epiphany that flips things.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 13, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

As usual it seems I'm in the minority as I was pulling hard for jeremy over Josh so I fistpumped a couple of times that episode. I've been wanting to see Josh get taken out for what I saw as bad gameplay. It's cool if happened. And I loved the moment where Jaclyn started to complain about being ignored and all the guys had looks on their faces like "oh yeah, I guess we could have talked to her."

And his weird belief that Baylor owed him after all that stuff. Josh seemed to be the only member of his alliance with any concept of how to play the game and deal with people and yet he didn't know not to try and guilt and blackmail someone you'd voted for and lied to multiple times.

Jeremy still has a long way to go before he has to worry about not sounding too arrogant in TC (which is why Jaclyn was totally right that Jon is a dummy for being so worried about that this early). Jeremy's still a big target and it's just a matter of time before people start looking his way again. Jon and Jaclyn are so flaky and these alliances are a mess so we're going to see more shuffling. And Jeremy's still Jeremy so he can over play himself out of this game.

I'm curious to see if Wes, Keith, Alec, and Reed wake up and start scrambling now. I really want to see Alec scramble. I imagine it consists of him telling all the women how much they suck and how much they need a strong man like him. I also look forward to Keith's unique form of hillbilly scrambling.

And next week I'm sure Jon and Jaclyn will have another game epiphany that flips things.
I was also happy to see Jeremy outlast Josh. "You owe me your loyalty" is bad strategy and not a compelling argument. What works is to convince someone that voting with you is the best option for their own game. Josh had the right idea with his argument about noone being "a fireman" at the end, but it wasn't enough.

Keith seems to read other people well while at the same time being oblivious to or not caring about how other people see him. And he's smart if he hasn't told Wes about his idol. After the taco dinner it's obvious Wes can't keep things to himself LOL :barf:

J and J together make one good player :) They've pretty much stopped being swing votes though - they have to stick with Missy + Baylor and the rest of that alliance, the Bachelor Club is not going to trust them now.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 13, 2014

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Good news - it sounds like Probst finally got the memo that Redemption Island sucks after years of ignoring everyone's complaints.

Jeff Probst posted:

So just generally speaking, yes, I am glad that we decided to change it up — and in a weird way I owe thanks to Mike White. Mike is a big Survivor fan, a former contestant on Amazing Race and a tremendous writer/director/actor/storyteller. He was over at our house for dinner just a couple of weeks before we started shooting. I confided in him about the basic creative for the Blood vs. Water season and when I mentioned Redemption Island coming back he had a very lackluster response — “Oh, you’re doing Redemption again?” The words hit me like a stray, leftover Medallion of Power right between the eyes.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/13/survivor-jeff-probst-mike-white/

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Mike White is my hero.

This was probably his exact reaction

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Josh was very likable and played a good game (other than his complete lack of alliance management), but he was pretty much the only one in his tribe I felt that way about. Alec (ugh), Wes and Keith pretty much are net negatives, and it would be quite awful to have them in the drivers seat for the rest of the game. Speaking of which, I just can't believe how clueless those guys can be. How hard can it be to pinpoint the most important person in your alliance (Jaclyn) and 1) be nice and respectful to her, and 2) make her feel like she's an important part of the alliance/decision-making process. A simple "Hey Jaclyn, who do you want to see go home tonight?" probably would've done wonders.

Anyway, the Jeremy-Natalie-Missy-Baylor alliance is far more multifaceted and in general seems to be playing the game better, so I'm glad they came out on top this episode. Like many others have said, I'm finding myself pulling for Natalie. She reminds me a lot of Sandra right now, and I think is probably playing the best all-around game. No doubt Jeremy is a force, but he's a little on the volatile side, and seems more prone than Natalie to rubbing people the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Vernacular posted:

Josh was very likable and played a good game

Are we watching the same season? I found Josh to be super annoying, particularly because he was under the very wrong impression that he was playing a good game.

• Locked thread