Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, wasn't that down to an editorial mandate that Superman had to be literally the last Krptonian, hence Superboy's a clone, Supergirl's a robot/angel, and Power Girl was from Atlantis or whatever they claimed at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, wasn't that down to an editorial mandate that Superman had to be literally the last Krptonian, hence Superboy's a clone, Supergirl's a robot/angel, and Power Girl was from Atlantis or whatever they claimed at that point?
It was, but that had faded long before they finally stopped trying to make a Supergirl who wasn't Kara Zor-El.

My favorite Kara bit was after she came back and like six different writers had given her conflicting origin stories, right before New Krypton when her parents come back they're just like "you remembered how many contradictory versions of your past and you thought that was normal? holy geez, Kara" and then just gave her the Silver Age backstory back.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Pretty sure that was in the Amanda Conner arc with her in JSA Classified, which also gave the explanation for her Boob Window.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We're talking Supergirl not Power Girl ya dingus

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

"Batman cool Superman lame PUNCH" - every hack writer until the end of time, apparently.

I'm pretty sure "Batman vs. Superman fight" is on the list of "Ideas for stories every writer wants to do when they're on [specific title], and just tries to find an excuse to make happen". Other examples include, but are not limited to:

• [Hero] vs. [Their most iconic villain]. Never mind if said villain is in jail/dead/etc at the time.
  • Spider-Man's personal life hits a new low.
  • This week a Titan DIES!
  • (On a team book): This B-list character is not as lame as you think they are.
  • Avengers fight each other
  • Justice League fights each other
and of course
  • Professor Xavier is a JERK!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hell, in my mind Superman's been the underdog in that fight for a very long time, just because every single writer always wants Batman to win.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MikeJF posted:

Hell, in my mind Superman's been the underdog in that fight for a very long time, just because every single writer always wants Batman to win.

I think he won in Red Son, of course it was a pyrrhic victory. And he was a Stalinist commie in that one.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

In Hush Batman's narration points out that Supes could have taken him out at any time with super-speed or heat vision or whatever, but didn't because he was fighting the mind-control.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I think he won in Red Son, of course it was a pyrrhic victory. And he was a Stalinist commie in that one.

So he was the real winner?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cassa posted:

So he was the real winner?

When Batman and Superman fight, no one wins.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

When Batman and Superman fight, no one wins.

Incorrect. Alfred wins.

Injustice: Gods Among Us #36

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The irony of this is completely lost on Bat-fans, sadly.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

The irony of this is completely lost on Bat-fans, sadly.
This is even when Batman #35 has him rapidly and in succession deal with three members of the Justice League and already have two more in mind, but his initial thinking about Superman is "please let him still be off planet". (Though this is undone by the next issue where, look and behold, he's got microscopic red suns on his fists and kryptonite-laced spitting pellets.)

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Black Dynamite #4

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

mind the walrus posted:

I like PAD's stuff from the late 90s and early 00s and hate Jeph Loeb's bullshit, but one of the few smart things Loeb ever did was get rid of all the horseshit pretenders and just say "gently caress it here's Superman's cousin again can we move the gently caress on now?"

David did that too, but they canceled it and made him cut the story short. The Kara he introduced in the last story arc was supposed to stick around, and the book would have become a Super-books version of Birds of Prey, starring Kara, Linda and Power Girl.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Senior Woodchuck posted:

David did that too, but they canceled it and made him cut the story short. The Kara he introduced in the last story arc was supposed to stick around, and the book would have become a Super-books version of Birds of Prey, starring Kara, Linda and Power Girl.

No love for Cir-El?

:(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

No love for Cir-El?

NO.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

No love for Cir-El?

For some reason the idea of giving Clark any form of direct progeny--even adopted--seems wrong somehow. Like he can take in as many weird-rear end clones or distant relatives as he pleases, but the instant you give him a son or a daughter not only do they automatically fail to live up to him but their time is marked as impermanent unless they're instantly classic in some way, and Cir-El was most certainly not instantly classic.

Then again Damien worked out with Bruce by playing against type of all his other vigilante family members, marking him as distinct and classic in his own way, so it is theoretically possible.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MikeJF posted:

There's no narrative tension resolved by Superman beating Batman. "Strongest character in this universe wins fight against dude with no powers" isn't interesting.

Also, Superman isn't going to fight Batman unless he's mind controlled or evil for a day, and if Evil Superman wins Batman is dead.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's almost as if Superman vs. Batman is a really dumb concept to begin with.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

It's almost as if Superman vs. Batman is a really dumb concept to begin with.
Now hear me out, but what about...Batman vs. Superman?!....you could make a movie out of that!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 13, 2014

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't know, Batman survived that one time Superman was tricked into thinking he was Doomsday or Darkseid or something (right before Wonder Woman broke Max Lord's neck).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

There's no narrative tension resolved by Superman beating Batman. "Strongest character in this universe wins fight against dude with no powers" isn't interesting.

Also, Superman isn't going to fight Batman unless he's mind controlled or evil for a day, and if Evil Superman wins Batman is dead.

I like how this pretends that there's no scenario where Batman could need to be put down and/or Superman needs to put him in his place (and do it without hurting a man who may be ordinary but is still a real threat), yet Superman is Evil or Mind-Controlled and needs to have Batman kick some sense into him in every other alternate reality out there.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Wade Wilson posted:

I don't know, Batman survived that one time Superman was tricked into thinking he was Doomsday or Darkseid or something (right before Wonder Woman broke Max Lord's neck).

Didn't Superman trash him and put him in a coma?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No seriously guys this middle class farmer's son is guaranteed to go rogue and evil and needs to have his rear end whupped every second sunday until the end of time because he's got superpowers, but the rich orphan with clear mental problems who trains an army of vigilantes in his spare time could never possibly cross the line because he's just a Humble Ordinary Human with no privilege, special abilities, or potential for insular thinking.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I love Batman but loving jesus does he create blind spots in fans.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mind the walrus posted:

I like how this pretends that there's no scenario where Batman could need to be put down and/or Superman needs to put him in his place (and do it without hurting a man who may be ordinary but is still a real threat), yet Superman is Evil or Mind-Controlled and needs to have Batman kick some sense into him in every other alternate reality out there.

No, it's just that "Batman has turned evil, can Superman STOP HIM" isn't interesting, because of course he can. Look at the matchup on paper.

The entire interesting part of the conflict is that it's incredibly one sided, but BATMAN'S INGENUITY CAN STILL WIN THE DAY. Evil Batman has to do SOMETHING to depower Superman to even start making the conflict interesting.

Also Lex Luthor already serves the story purpose of "Evil Batman." Evil Batman doesn't bring anything new to the table that Superman doesn't deal with every day. Superman, however, is outside of Bats' normal wheelhouse.

^^^
Hey buddy, you might be being really stupid and putting words in my mouth right now. Hell, nobody said Superman was going to go rogue inevitably? My entire point was that Superman has to be Mind Controlled or Evil Alien Virus'd or whatever for there to even be a reason for Batman to fight him

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 13, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

team overhead smash posted:

Didn't Superman trash him and put him in a coma?
He did! Bats got hosed up pretty good there. I do not remember what exactly kept him from being killed outright, though (besides plot armor).

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Webcomics rather than panels, but eh:

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

No seriously guys this middle class farmer's son is guaranteed to go rogue and evil and needs to have his rear end whupped every second sunday until the end of time because he's got superpowers, but the rich orphan with clear mental problems who trains an army of vigilantes in his spare time could never possibly cross the line because he's just a Humble Ordinary Human with no privilege, special abilities, or potential for insular thinking.

Truth-bombs up in this thread.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Next time Batman needs to fight Superman he should just do some dimensional fuckery and summon Squirrel Girl. Everything will be settled in one panel and maybe they could use the remaining pages for something more interesting.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

team overhead smash posted:

Webcomics rather than panels, but eh:

This is such bullshit. It takes light 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach us from the sun, so there's no way Superman could have thrown Batman into it in only 2 seconds. Immersion completely ruined.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Midniter posted:

This is such bullshit. It takes light 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach us from the sun, so there's no way Superman could have thrown Batman into it in only 2 seconds. Immersion completely ruined.

But Batman isn't made of light? :confused:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
And wasn't Babel effectively an "Evil" Batman story anyway?

I mean it answers the question "What happens if Batman goes rogue and decides to take out the Justice League?"

Why don't we ever see Batman going against Doomsday, one on one? Is it because old Doomie doesn't have the very specific weaknesses that Superman does, and so he can't be beaten with normal means?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

redbackground posted:

Now hear me out, but what about...Batman vs. Superman?!....you could make a movie out of that!

If you call it 'Batman v. Superman' instead you might be on to something. It'll help to keep it from being a straight 'versus' movie, even in the most subtle way.

mind the walrus posted:

For some reason the idea of giving Clark any form of direct progeny--even adopted--seems wrong somehow. Like he can take in as many weird-rear end clones or distant relatives as he pleases, but the instant you give him a son or a daughter not only do they automatically fail to live up to him but their time is marked as impermanent unless they're instantly classic in some way, and Cir-El was most certainly not instantly classic.

I've never heard of this character, and I was really disappointed to find that it wasn't some secret kryptonian super-accountant. Did no one notice that they called their edgy rebellious teen supergirl 'Cyril'?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think a story about Batman going all Dr. Doom and using all his tower of babel plans to take out most superheroes without warning, leaving a kryptonite-poisoned Superman and a handful of b-listers to try and rally against his regime could be really interesting.

But no it's probably better to have Batman punch Superman with Plotium for the 20th time.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I think a story about Batman going all Dr. Doom and using all his tower of babel plans to take out most superheroes without warning, leaving a kryptonite-poisoned Superman and a handful of b-listers to try and rally against his regime could be really interesting.

But no it's probably better to have Batman punch Superman with Plotium for the 20th time.

Even this strikes me as something that would be handled with absolutely no finesse or thoughtfulness. Most hero fights are "mistaken identity" or short "What if!?" scenarios. Having characters suddenly switch into murder-everyone mode winds up feeling really lazy. For it to really work I'd think they'd need to have the character's goal be something in-line with their principles. Ozymandias is a good example. He was trying to avert a nuclear war which would have essentially ended life as they knew it. I'm not saying it's a story without flaw, but the best we'd probably see is a "Civil War" style "morally questionable" actions which were ridiculously heavy handed.

We'd either wind up with "Batman was just incapacitating everyone long enough for him to save everyone surprise he's the smartest!" or "They stopped him and undid the mind control that was causing this all along!"

I'd rather just see him fight villains.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You're going to be very disappointed with Injustice 2.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

poorlifedecision posted:

Even this strikes me as something that would be handled with absolutely no finesse or thoughtfulness. Most hero fights are "mistaken identity" or short "What if!?" scenarios. Having characters suddenly switch into murder-everyone mode winds up feeling really lazy. For it to really work I'd think they'd need to have the character's goal be something in-line with their principles. Ozymandias is a good example. He was trying to avert a nuclear war which would have essentially ended life as they knew it. I'm not saying it's a story without flaw, but the best we'd probably see is a "Civil War" style "morally questionable" actions which were ridiculously heavy handed.

We'd either wind up with "Batman was just incapacitating everyone long enough for him to save everyone surprise he's the smartest!" or "They stopped him and undid the mind control that was causing this all along!"

I'd rather just see him fight villains.

Fight with some A-listers takes out part of Gotham, Batman realizes that these idiots are a threat to his GLORIOUS CITY, and as a result, all of humanity, and takes down every lovely hero and tries to put the ones worth a drat under his control so he has a leash on them to protect against actual threats but not just be tusslin' with Plasmus the Living Fart through downtown Collateralsburg.

But no that'd never happen it's just gonna be PUNCH SUPERMAN WITH KRYPTONITE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Wrong thread.

• Locked thread